• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Next Season L2 !

#81 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 28 March 2024 - 08:49 AM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 28 March 2024 - 08:29 AM, said:

Aware there's a risk of reopening wounds for Johnd51, but wonder what kind of team Cook will pick for such games?

Higher strength than the trophy I'd think given the midweek scheduling has less disruption to league fixtures, not forgetting he managed us to a final previously

#82 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 28 March 2024 - 09:28 AM

I can't wait to see us in the league two table and then it will be reality for me. FA Cup first round proper, the League Cup and even the JPT, bring them on.
It will get harder for teams to get out of the National League, especially those who fall through the cracks of league two. Not many clubs return to league football before having a soul destroying spell in this cesspit. It's where refs are on a par with those seen on a Sunday league pitch, and the linesmen are so off the pace of the game, that they look to the ref for him to make decisions rather than raising their flag. Then there's the dark arts, with some managers, even being open about employing them. Grounds that make Matlock's look good, and then there's artificial grass.
At the end of the day, I'm so glad we're leaving all this behind, but it's been years of heartache for every Spireite. We won't forget and we won't forgive, those who oversaw our drop down the leagues and fostered the likes of Dean Saunders and Gormless Caldwell on us.
Thanks to all those at the club who have made this happen, so we can watch real football once more.

#83 User is online   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 March 2024 - 09:33 AM

View PostJonB, on 28 March 2024 - 08:43 AM, said:

Not quite....there are rules about what side you need to play so you cant just play the whole youth team.

Four of the 10 outfield players have to meet one of the following qualification rules as per the rules here --> https://www.efl.com/...heading-players

Haven’t there been instances of 3 or 4 players being withdrawn early in the first half to circumvent that rule?

#84 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 28 March 2024 - 09:37 AM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 28 March 2024 - 09:33 AM, said:

Haven’t there been instances of 3 or 4 players being withdrawn early in the first half to circumvent that rule?

Didn't someone sub a keeper after he took a goal kick about 1 minute into a game??
Sure they want him fit for next big game but was forced to play him??
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#85 User is offline   Pumpkin 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 28 March 2024 - 09:41 AM

View Postmoondog, on 28 March 2024 - 06:35 AM, said:

and the JPT (or whatever it's called now) against a Premier League U21 club...

One of those competitions is a regional group to start....I've never really paid attention which, as we weren't in it...

#86 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 28 March 2024 - 09:49 AM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 28 March 2024 - 09:33 AM, said:

Possibly but thats potentially causing issues later in the game if you are over stressing players who would need to come off and cant as you've used a load of subs in the first half.

View Postspireitetoo, on 28 March 2024 - 09:37 AM, said:

Didn't someone sub a keeper after he took a goal kick about 1 minute into a game??

That may have happened a few years ago but the qualification rules only stand for the 10 outfield players so you can play whatever keeper you want from the start now.

#87 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 28 March 2024 - 10:00 AM

View Postspireitetoo, on 28 March 2024 - 09:37 AM, said:

Yes us, subbed Tommy Lee at Scunthorpe after a few minutes

#88 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 28 March 2024 - 11:38 AM

View Postmoondog, on 28 March 2024 - 10:00 AM, said:

Yes us, subbed Tommy Lee at Scunthorpe after a few minutes

Cheers, I thought it was us, but wasn't 100% sure..
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#89 User is offline   Paragon of Virtue 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2024 - 11:50 AM

View PostPontePete, on 28 March 2024 - 12:03 AM, said:

Some brilliant posts on here everyone, and some great home truths for them to feast on about who really is the superior club. About time we stuck it back to the scab bas*ards and the bollo**s they continually spout about us on scabsnet.

Amusingly this thread has been viewed by one of them and brought to the attention of his/her fellow scabs on their obsessive thread. 🤣

Keeping an eye on their remaining games. MK, Crewe and Barrow all still mathematically in with a shout of top 3, and scabs are yet to go to both MK and Barrow yet, and they’re away at Wrexham this Saturday.

It ain’t over til it’s over!

450+ pages on a club who are supposed to be in their shadow is bizarre! Proper small time mentality.

They all seem to have been watching this league intensely this season as well, going off how they think it's been so poor.

#90 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2024 - 12:05 PM

Im sure it’s already been mentioned but this season you can name 7 subs and use 5 of them in L1 and L2. (In the Championship you can name 9 on the bench).

Would imagine this means we can use more of the squad, including giving younger players the opportunity of some game time.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#91 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2024 - 12:34 PM

View PostPhil V 72, on 28 March 2024 - 12:05 PM, said:

Im sure it’s already been mentioned but this season you can name 7 subs and use 5 of them in L1 and L2. (In the Championship you can name 9 on the bench).

Would imagine this means we can use more of the squad, including giving younger players the opportunity of some game time.

I think it’s safe to assume the Ryan Boot will, at least, be in the match day squad on a regular basis.

However, if we do name a keeper on the bench we will only have one additional outfield player on it but, as you say, we can bring on 5 subs during a game which should mean more players getting game time.

#92 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2024 - 12:38 PM

View Postdtp, on 28 March 2024 - 12:34 PM, said:

I think it’s safe to assume the Ryan Boot will, at least, be in the match day squad on a regular basis.

However, if we do name a keeper on the bench we will only have one additional outfield player on it but, as you say, we can bring on 5 subs during a game which should mean more players getting game time.

Probably means there’s more flexibility to use the bench in a more tactical way. Bit like when we brought Harley Curtis on last week, when the result isn’t in doubt and we can give the player 15/20 mins.

This post has been edited by Phil V 72: 28 March 2024 - 12:39 PM

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#93 User is offline   Sussex Spireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Town, Harvey's Old Ale, Weller, Lewes FC and Levante FC

Posted 28 March 2024 - 12:59 PM

View Postjohnd51, on 28 March 2024 - 12:44 AM, said:

And the League Cup draw!

At least we can't draw Rochdale away for a change. Though we'll probably get either Tranmere or Stockport away as per!!
Growing old is unavoidable, growing up is optional

#94 User is offline   Arnold Tabbs 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2024 - 05:17 PM

View PostParagon of Virtue, on 28 March 2024 - 11:50 AM, said:

450+ pages on a club who are supposed to be in their shadow is bizarre! Proper small time mentality.

They all seem to have been watching this league intensely this season as well, going off how they think it's been so poor.

Erm. In order to see just how obsessed Mansfield are with us, don't our supporters have to go onto their forum? And, if that's happening, doesn't it mean that the obsession works both ways?

Obviously, Mansfield are scabs etc but there but for the grace of god go we. At least the fans that go to see them aren't droning on about Liverpool and Man United like so many of our neighbours and workmates who bore us all to death every Monday by yakking about "their" club. I always found it amazing how many people where I worked claimed to have family links to Liverpool, and yet very few of them claimed allegiance to Everton. One particular moron claimed to be a diehard supporter of Liverpool except at election time, when he pretended to follow Derby in order to get a few more votes for himself when standing for South Derbyshire Council. Meanwhile, he expressed nothing but contempt for his perfectly respectable home town club, Burton Albion.

Interestingly (well, I think so any road) my dad used to work at Barrow Hill, in the engine shed, and he told me that in the early 60s he and his colleagues were regularly offered free tickets for Mansfield. They were doing a lot better than we were at the time and thought they could attract depressed Spireites to Field Mill. Imagine! My dad reassured me that nobody accepted the tainted goods.

It'll be grand next season to take on old rivals like Walsall, Doncaster etc but I think we can afford to be more magnanimous to the clubs we are leaving behind. You can be sure that, if we were to get 2 more promotions, fans of Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Middlesbrough, Bristol City etc would be calling us tin pot and laughing at our small crowds, and we wouldn't like it. We'd think they were ******s, in fact, and we'd be right.

This post has been edited by Arnold Tabbs: 28 March 2024 - 05:20 PM

#95 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 28 March 2024 - 05:28 PM

View Postdtp, on 28 March 2024 - 12:34 PM, said:

I can’t imagine anyone doesn’t have a keeper on the bench with seven subs. It would be madness not to.

#96 User is offline   tomjoad 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bruce Springsteen Southside Counting Crows Abbot ale and LMS no 8s!

Posted 28 March 2024 - 06:21 PM

View PostArnold Tabbs, on 28 March 2024 - 05:17 PM, said:

Erm. In order to see just how obsessed Mansfield are with us, don't our supporters have to go onto their forum? And, if that's happening, doesn't it mean that the obsession works both ways?

Obviously, Mansfield are scabs etc but there but for the grace of god go we. At least the fans that go to see them aren't droning on about Liverpool and Man United like so many of our neighbours and workmates who bore us all to death every Monday by yakking about "their" club. I always found it amazing how many people where I worked claimed to have family links to Liverpool, and yet very few of them claimed allegiance to Everton. One particular moron claimed to be a diehard supporter of Liverpool except at election time, when he pretended to follow Derby in order to get a few more votes for himself when standing for South Derbyshire Council. Meanwhile, he expressed nothing but contempt for his perfectly respectable home town club, Burton Albion.

Interestingly (well, I think so any road) my dad used to work at Barrow Hill, in the engine shed, and he told me that in the early 60s he and his colleagues were regularly offered free tickets for Mansfield. They were doing a lot better than we were at the time and thought they could attract depressed Spireites to Field Mill. Imagine! My dad reassured me that nobody accepted the tainted goods.

It'll be grand next season to take on old rivals like Walsall, Doncaster etc but I think we can afford to be more magnanimous to the clubs we are leaving behind. You can be sure that, if we were to get 2 more promotions, fans of Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday, Middlesbrough, Bristol City etc would be calling us tin pot and laughing at our small crowds, and we wouldn't like it. We'd think they were ******s, in fact, and we'd be right.

Does a brief visit or acknowledging that the Stain have a thread about us equate to an obsession?

Its quite amusing to read some of the tripe written on there, although one visit is more than enough.
Also on the Facebook league two page most clubs support has been welcoming to us, especially local clubs with of course one notable exception.
I think its the result of close family relations in a former pit village, coupled of course with envy.

#97 User is offline   tomjoad 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2024 - 06:30 PM

Does an occasional visit constitute an obsession? I find it amusing they dedicate 400 plus pages to someone they don't care about. Especially the

This post has been edited by tomjoad: 28 March 2024 - 06:30 PM

#98 User is offline   tomjoad 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 March 2024 - 06:37 PM

View Posttomjoad, on 28 March 2024 - 06:30 PM, said:

Does an occasional visit constitute an obsession? I find it amusing they dedicate 400 plus pages to someone they don't care about. Especially the
Ignore the last post lol

#99 User is offline   PontePete 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 April 2024 - 01:21 PM

Scabs v Accrington called off🤣🤣can’t even get a game on in April! Tinpot scab bas*ards! 🤣🤣
Hater of all things Scab!

#100 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 01 April 2024 - 05:48 PM

View PostPontePete, on 01 April 2024 - 01:21 PM, said:

Scabs v Accrington called off🤣🤣can’t even get a game on in April! Tinpot scab bas*ards! 🤣🤣

Gotta be a conspiracy in there somewhere
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

Share this topic:

• (6 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users