• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 April 2024 - 07:19 PM

😴

#4422 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 11 April 2024 - 07:45 PM

https://www.dailymai...rs-blow-eu.html
Mind you it “Mailesque”….

This post has been edited by Mr Mercury: 11 April 2024 - 07:46 PM

East stand second class citizen.

#4423 User is offline   Misnomer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 April 2024 - 07:57 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 11 April 2024 - 07:45 PM, said:

Please understand your audience. There are some extremist lefties on here, who will get their thongs into all sorts of pongs, and will not tolerate such positive news.

#4424 User is offline   Holmesc1 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 12 April 2024 - 07:26 AM

Complete bull, as its from the mail ha ha

#4425 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2024 - 09:13 AM

Economy also grew in Feb and restated to have grown more in Jan than originally stated.
Utilities prices down
NI cuts
NMW rates up by nearly 10%
Interest rates due to fall from June, maybe 3 cuts this year...

2024 is looking up...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#4426 User is offline   Holmesc1 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 12 April 2024 - 11:46 AM

View Postisleaiw1, on 12 April 2024 - 09:13 AM, said:

Economy also grew in Feb and restated to have grown more in Jan than originally stated.
Utilities prices down
NI cuts

2024 is looking up...

Is that from mail esque media too

#4427 User is offline   dart in the crossbar 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2024 - 04:46 PM

The interesting piece is in The Economist. As would be expected it skips the Mail's world-beatingesque banner headline and references the encouraging and less encouraging part of the story. In a nutshell, the 'services' part has done well; the 'goods' part less well.

#4428 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 12 April 2024 - 06:15 PM

View Postdart in the crossbar, on 12 April 2024 - 04:46 PM, said:

The interesting piece is in The Economist. As would be expected it skips the Mail's world-beatingesque banner headline and references the encouraging and less encouraging part of the story. In a nutshell, the 'services' part has done well; the 'goods' part less well.

Even the Mail's ultra optimistic trumpeting admits figures for twenty twenty three - after Pandemic distortions wear off and post Brexit changes really begin to impact - will be much worse.

But of course none of that addresses the here and now - yet more huge increases in import costs, warned of eight years ago yet repeatedly denied by the Scammers, which will either drive smaller businesses to the wall or be passed on to consumers...

This post has been edited by The Earl of Chesterfield: 12 April 2024 - 06:16 PM

Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#4429 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 12 April 2024 - 06:43 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 12 April 2024 - 09:13 AM, said:

Utilities prices down
NI cuts

2024 is looking up...

Though economists are also saying growth in several sectors is flatlining at best whilst interest rate cuts are likely to be minimal and late.

Like everyone else I'm still waiting to be told when the 'have our cake and eat it' and 'oven ready deal' 'sunny uplands' will appear...

#4430 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2024 - 09:51 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 12 April 2024 - 06:43 PM, said:

Though economists are also saying growth in several sectors is flatlining at best whilst interest rate cuts are likely to be minimal and late.

Like everyone else I'm still waiting to be told when the 'have our cake and eat it' and 'oven ready deal' 'sunny uplands' will appear...

But then at the time we voted on Brexit or Remain, no one mentioned a pandemic, a war in europe, another war in the middle east, and various other issues that have hit since.... but its still all Brexit's fault. How are France and Germany doing, and maybe Spain.. as they havent had a shock from Brexit along with the other issues?

The short answer as I've just come in from work is I dont know... but my guess is there is a fat load of not great in there.I'm nor leave voter, I wanted to remain in EEA but avoid any political union, so my view is not biased and I'm not a scammer from either side, I think they were both wrong... but I'm interested in FACTS...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#4431 User is offline   Bobby Darling 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2024 - 11:02 PM

View Postisleaiw1, on 12 April 2024 - 09:51 PM, said:

But then at the time we voted on Brexit or Remain, no one mentioned a pandemic, a war in europe, another war in the middle east, and various other issues that have hit since.... but its still all Brexit's fault. How are France and Germany doing, and maybe Spain.. as they havent had a shock from Brexit along with the other issues?

The short answer as I've just come in from work is I dont know... but my guess is there is a fat load of not great in there.I'm nor leave voter, I wanted to remain in EEA but avoid any political union, so my view is not biased and I'm not a scammer from either side, I think they were both wrong... but I'm interested in FACTS...

I know that they are not quite FACTS but you should as someone, who claims ( probably with some justification), to know about Finance and Economics, that the informed projections of leaving the EU are not good to put it mildly. In fact they are shocking. Comparing us to other countries is kicking the cat. Covid and Ukraine are facts. They apply world wide. Informed projections factor them in. I’m not sure how quickly it will happen, but economically we will to all intents and purposes rejoin the EU. Business will insist.

#4432 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2024 - 09:27 AM

View PostBobby Darling, on 12 April 2024 - 11:02 PM, said:

I know that they are not quite FACTS but you should as someone, who claims ( probably with some justification), to know about Finance and Economics, that the informed projections of leaving the EU are not good to put it mildly. In fact they are shocking. Comparing us to other countries is kicking the cat. Covid and Ukraine are facts. They apply world wide. Informed projections factor them in. I’m not sure how quickly it will happen, but economically we will to all intents and purposes rejoin the EU. Business will insist.

A lot of words that include no facts so try this one...
The UK will be Europe’s best-performing major economy in the next 15 years, narrowing the gap with Germany and extending its lead over France, according to new long-run forecasts.
The Centre for Economics and Business Research predicted that GDP growth in the UK will settle between 1.6% and 1.8% in the period up until 2038, helping it retain its position as the world’s sixth-largest economy.

The forecasts published Tuesday predict that the UK will shake off an economic malaise lasting years that has been defined by Brexit and a string of shocks, including the pandemic and surging inflation.

Which kind of contradicts what you have said.... and means your conclusion is based on sand.
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#4433 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 13 April 2024 - 10:37 AM

View Postisleaiw1, on 13 April 2024 - 09:27 AM, said:

A lot of words that include no facts so try this one...
The UK will be Europe’s best-performing major economy in the next 15 years, narrowing the gap with Germany and extending its lead over France, according to new long-run forecasts.
The Centre for Economics and Business Research predicted that GDP growth in the UK will settle between 1.6% and 1.8% in the period up until 2038, helping it retain its position as the world’s sixth-largest economy.

The forecasts published Tuesday predict that the UK will shake off an economic malaise lasting years that has been defined by Brexit and a string of shocks, including the pandemic and surging inflation.

Which kind of contradicts what you have said.... and means your conclusion is based on sand.

But these aren't those facts you keep telling us about.

They're predictions. Long term predictions. Very long term predictions, in fact.

And to repeat; I'm talking about the four to five percent hit the UK economy has already taken because of Brexit. Past tense. I'm talking about the extra costs and red tape and loss of trade it already has inflicted. In direct contrast to everything the now largely discredited Scammers promised. I'm talking about the NI situation which, far from being a small problem some supposed 'oven ready deal' would address, had to be re-negotiated. To the point of essentially leaving that province in the EU.

Then I'm talking about a whole array of business busting checks coming into force in the next couple of weeks.

I know you voted 'Remain', Ian. I know you like to argue for the sake of arguing. Which you deem "balance", of course. However our friend 'Bobby' is spot on - UK companies will demand a return to at least a form of tariff free system with the world's biggest single market on our very doorstep.

I hope you're preparing for that rather than grasping at straw-like excuses to deny realty, pal. Otherwise your employer might be offering you far more time to peruse these forums...

#4434 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tarn, cycling.

Posted 13 April 2024 - 11:04 AM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 13 April 2024 - 10:37 AM, said:

I know you voted 'Remain', Ian. I know you like to argue for the sake of arguing. Which you deem "balance", of course

So he “argues” a point which contradicts his belief and that’s just for the sake of it…and that’s bad?

But when he “argues” a point which contradicts your belief that’s bad too?

And when he “argues” a point he believes in and doesn't also “argue” a contradictory point…that’s bad too?

Though tbf he does have a go at Fish for being personal and then “scoffs” at him using the “…….” sentence ending which is usually an insult.

I sometimes enjoy the debates but it’s just turning in to point scoring (not aimed at you necessarily and definitely not solely). At least you but sources to your statements.

Enjoy the day, the weekend and the end of the season.

Roll on the competitive football season
"Can't change or choose your football club. Sorry son"

#4435 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2024 - 12:25 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 13 April 2024 - 10:37 AM, said:

But these aren't those facts you keep telling us about.

They're predictions. Long term predictions. Very long term predictions, in fact.

And to repeat; I'm talking about the four to five percent hit the UK economy has already taken because of Brexit. Past tense. I'm talking about the extra costs and red tape and loss of trade it already has inflicted. In direct contrast to everything the now largely discredited Scammers promised. I'm talking about the NI situation which, far from being a small problem some supposed 'oven ready deal' would address, had to be re-negotiated. To the point of essentially leaving that province in the EU.

Then I'm talking about a whole array of business busting checks coming into force in the next couple of weeks.

I know you voted 'Remain', Ian. I know you like to argue for the sake of arguing. Which you deem "balance", of course. However our friend 'Bobby' is spot on - UK companies will demand a return to at least a form of tariff free system with the world's biggest single market on our very doorstep.

I hope you're preparing for that rather than grasping at straw-like excuses to deny realty, pal. Otherwise your employer might be offering you far more time to peruse these forums...

That was an answer to our friend Bobby who said that our growth will be worse going forward and in 10 years business will be begging to be let back in. Not sure where he gets that idea from...

And you are right, I didnt vote leave.But we did and like all things in life I'll make the most of it.

Incidentally, London is booming and that is down to people coming from overseas so not all businesses are suffering...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#4436 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2024 - 12:29 PM

View Posts42blue, on 13 April 2024 - 11:04 AM, said:

So he “argues” a point which contradicts his belief and that’s just for the sake of it…and that’s bad?

But when he “argues” a point which contradicts your belief that’s bad too?

And when he “argues” a point he believes in and doesn't also “argue” a contradictory point…that’s bad too?

Though tbf he does have a go at Fish for being personal and then “scoffs” at him using the “…….” sentence ending which is usually an insult.

I sometimes enjoy the debates but it’s just turning in to point scoring (not aimed at you necessarily and definitely not solely). At least you but sources to your statements.

Enjoy the day, the weekend and the end of the season.

Roll on the competitive football season

For my next trick I am going to argue wet is dry just to annoy Fish...

And I might start posting my start and end days of my working day / week for Bobby.... by the way, Bobby, just done a couple of work calls and was in hotels till 9pm on Thursday and 8pm (working) yesterday. Good job I'm not in a union, I'd be bemoaning having to go in to work whilst productivity was tumbling (we ask people in a few days a week but middle managers have license to turn a bling eye to those who are delivering who dont do the required days)...#

Good point about looking forward to competitive games, since we seem to have decided that playing to win isnt important I find the matches pretty uninteresting...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#4437 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2024 - 01:52 PM

I believe “wet” can’t be felt by humans. We feel a change in temperature.

There you go.

#4438 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 13 April 2024 - 02:16 PM

Waters wet and it wets us, anything else is rubbish!
East stand second class citizen.

#4439 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 13 April 2024 - 02:25 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 13 April 2024 - 02:16 PM, said:

My god we agree. However the scientists say differently
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#4440 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2024 - 02:56 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 13 April 2024 - 02:16 PM, said:

Except that is apart from all the accepted scientific evidence.

Share this topic:

• (223 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users