Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Good Places To Eat In Chesterfield? - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (155 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Good Places To Eat In Chesterfield? Rate Topic: ****- 4 Votes

#41 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 September 2012 - 10:58 AM

I've been to Nonnas two or three times and had excellent service haha.

I think this is the problem when people discuss restaurants, if you've only gone once you it's hard to judge the place fully. You might order a dish and it doesn't taste nice but if you'd ordered another dish it might've been amazing.

One thing I can confirm though, Frankie & Bennies is just... just terrible.

#42 Guest_NOKIN_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:33 AM

View PostGoku, on 18 September 2012 - 10:58 AM, said:

One thing I can confirm though, Frankie & Bennies is just... just terrible.

Correct.

#43 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

My Missus used to work at Frankie & Bennies and as a result I've never been. She says everything you eat comes in frozen. Without exception.

#44 User is offline   RN Blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC... oh and the wife and kids.

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:54 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 18 September 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

My Missus used to work at Frankie & Bennies and as a result I've never been. She says everything you eat comes in frozen. Without exception.

What even the ice cream?

#45 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:28 PM

View PostRN Blue, on 18 September 2012 - 11:54 AM, said:

What even the ice cream?

That too. An outrage I tell thee!

#46 User is offline   Guest_freelander2_* 

• *Deleted*
  • Group: *Deleted*

Posted 20 September 2012 - 08:55 PM

Here's another one for you all to try, the new owners have done a superb job:

http://www.thepeacockcutthorpe.co.uk/

#47 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 20 September 2012 - 09:31 PM

View Postfreelander2, on 20 September 2012 - 08:55 PM, said:

Not Chesterfield but close enough for you, the Fox and Hounds at Blidworth Bottoms is a good meal

#48 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:56 PM

I can't go to pubs or pub-like places for evening meals (with say the missus), am I being snobby or is this normal?

#49 User is offline   Guest_freelander2_* 

• *Deleted*
  • Group: *Deleted*

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:00 AM

View PostGoku, on 20 September 2012 - 11:56 PM, said:

I can't go to pubs or pub-like places for evening meals (with say the missus), am I being snobby or is this normal?

It will all change once you have a mortgage. ;-P

#50 User is offline   isleaiw 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:08 AM

And some pub like places, like Rowleys, are much higher quality than some bespoke restaurants!

Ian

View Postfreelander2, on 20 September 2012 - 08:55 PM, said:

Thanks for that one, having tried and enjoyed Elm Tree at Elmton on recommendation, we will put this on list to try next!

Ian

#51 User is offline   SpireiteFitzy 

• The Inglorious One
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield fc

Posted 21 September 2012 - 04:55 PM

Has anyone ever been up to the Famous Shoulder at Pilsley? I only ask because I've just received a job interview from there and I've not been up before.
If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything!

#52 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 21 September 2012 - 09:14 PM

View Postfreelander2, on 21 September 2012 - 06:00 AM, said:

It will all change once you have a mortgage. ;-P

Most likely but whilst you've got the cash you might as well spend it :)

View Postisleaiw, on 21 September 2012 - 09:08 AM, said:

And some pub like places, like Rowleys, are much higher quality than some bespoke restaurants!

Ian

I don't doubt it but it's mainly the atmosphere and the look of the place that I'm going to, I need the whole package not just nice food lol.

View PostSpireiteFitzy, on 21 September 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

Has anyone ever been up to the Famous Shoulder at Pilsley? I only ask because I've just received a job interview from there and I've not been up before.

No but it looks really good actually.

Think I'm gonna go to the Casa next.

#53 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:05 AM

Popped in rowleys earlier for lunch...very nice!!

#54 User is offline   philly8mt 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The usual ;-)

Posted 22 September 2012 - 05:22 AM

View PostGoku, on 21 September 2012 - 09:14 PM, said:

Most likely but whilst you've got the cash you might as well spend it :)

I don't doubt it but it's mainly the atmosphere and the look of the place that I'm going to, I need the whole package not just nice food lol.

No but it looks really good actually.

Think I'm gonna go to the Casa next.

Do it! Last time I went to Casa I had a superb Steak with Blue Cheese sauce. Excellent food and service :)

#55 User is offline   THR 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:14 AM

View PostBankrobber, on 12 September 2012 - 04:32 PM, said:

We went to Calabria on Glumangate for lunch the other day - it was a small menu but the food was beautifully prepared. I'd like to try the evening menu at some point.

Casa is first class if a little expensive, but they have a superb restaurant and very attentive staff.

Quite a few of my family like the Elm Tree at Heath - the beer was good but i didn't find the food particularly inspiring. It was OK but nothing more.

Fischers at Baslow is the Grandaddy of them all...not too many with a Michelin Star round Town. Amazing food, and there's always something local on the menu as well. I'm sure many might not find it particularly good vfm though. Definitely one for a very special occasion.

The other guy was talking about the Elm Tree Inn at Elmton, not Heath btw. Elmton is out Creswell/Worksop way.

#56 User is offline   THR 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:20 AM

View PostSpireiteFitzy, on 21 September 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

Yes. Was there only about a month ago. I was amazed at it tbh. I only remembered it as a tumble-down pub in the middle of nowhere. Somewhere I'd drive past occasionally when ferrying my beautiful sexy nurse girlfriend from Chestefield to Sutton in Ashfield. She used to like me to take her the back way you see. ;) (Temple Normanton, Hardstoft, Skegby - or sometimes Hardwick, Glapwell and Pleasley).

It's very nice inside - a bit "hotelish" but the food and drinks look good. The drinks taste good actually - I haven't had a meal there yet.

#57 User is offline   THR 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:35 AM

No problem. Bring her round here mate, I'll entertain her whilst you pop out for a bite to eat. ;)

On a slightly more serious note...

In recent years there's been a massive increase in the number of pubs doing food. But that wasn't the case some years back because they didn't need to. Nowadays food brings in a lot of revenue and it's the most important part of the business for some pubs. This has given birth to what commonly get called "gastro pubs". I don't like that term myself - but to put it another way, most pubs do food, some do it simple and plain, some do it well and some do it so good that it is a match for any restaurant.

If you've honestly never sought out some of these "top end" food serving pubs then you are definitely missing out on a treat. A meal in a pub doesn't have to be a conspicuous affair where you are sat scoffing away whilst others are playing dominoes, if you go to the right places. There are lots of pubs that do decent food but I wouldn't want to go there for a meal either, because I wouldn't feel I've been out. I'd feel a bit like we were slumming it. However...

I'm going to attach a link here and I suggest you take a serious look at it. If you use the advanced search feature and click on the food and drink symbol it will bring up a list of the very best places within any area of the country - you just enter the name of a place and decide the radius that you're willing to search within. I've carried a hard copy of this guide around with me for years and it has really opened my eyes to some of this wonderful country's finest pubs. It's one of only 2 pub guides that are totally independent - so the places in here aren't paying backhanders to be listed.

Off the top of my head I can't recall which pubs around here are listed - but it is very selective - so don't be surprised if your favourite hasn't made it yet. IMPORTANT - Only those pubs which are listed as "Good Pub Guide Approved" are reliable. Unfortunately, (I think), they've changed how they compile this and there will be lots of other pubs listed as well, that folks have written in about. Might say "worth a visit" or something on them. I'd ignore those because they haven't been reviewed and approved. Best still - go to the "Advanced Search" and set your own filter.

http://www.thegoodpubguide.co.uk/

This post has been edited by THR: 22 September 2012 - 06:42 AM

#58 User is offline   Bankrobber 

• 83 goals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Arctic Sheets and Fields of Wheat

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:41 PM

View PostTHR, on 22 September 2012 - 06:14 AM, said:

The other guy was talking about the Elm Tree Inn at Elmton, not Heath btw. Elmton is out Creswell/Worksop way.

I used to drink in the Elm Tree at Elmton with my Dad occasionally, and with the in laws being from Whitwell, i'm in that area every so often. My parents definitely prefer the food at the Elm Tree at Heath though!

I think you've got your wires crossed, bud.

This post has been edited by Bankrobber: 23 September 2012 - 12:39 AM

The greatest miscarriage of justice since my case against the producers of the Never Ending Story

#59 User is offline   THR 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:19 AM

View PostHistoricWarwick, on 14 September 2012 - 10:13 PM, said:

The most fabled food in that area what I recall was The Druid in Birchover or The Red Lion in Litton.

Agree. I really miss the Druid at Birchover. It's still there of course - but when the previous owner, Mr Bunce, left they tried to turn it into a bit of Kensington or Chelsea in the Derbyshire hills - and it doesn't work.

You used to walk into that pub and be greeted by a roaring fire and floor to ceiling menu on blackboards with all the different dishes. I've still never seen anything quite so extensive as that - and what's more, the food was really good as well, no matter what dish you went for.

Another place, not too far from Monsal Head, used to be the 3 Stags at Wardlow Mires. Now, Pat and Geoff used to turn out some really good home-made food back in the day - although the pub is a bit of an acquired taste. As is Geoff. But we had some great meals there and great company.

#60 User is offline   THR 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:25 AM

View PostBankrobber, on 22 September 2012 - 11:41 PM, said:

I used to drink in the Elm Tree at Elmton with my Dad occasionally, and with the in laws being from Whitwell, i'm in that area every so often. My parents definitely prefer the food at the Elm Tree at Heath though!

I think you've got your wires crossed, bud.

I thought all the Elm Tree pubs had closed anyhow - something to do with Dutch Elm disease.

I first went to the Elm Tree at Elmton (why am I thinking of a place called Whaley Thorns - is that near there?) on the way back from an evening's entertainment at the "King of Diamonds" public house in Shirebrook.

My brother took me there. I was only a teenager at the time and I think he wanted to expose me to a bit of "kulcha". :blink:

Share this topic:

• (155 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users