• You cannot reply to this topic

Oldham Reation.

#21 User is offline   Misnomer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 August 2023 - 02:58 PM

View PostZytok, on 19 August 2023 - 02:57 PM, said:

Yawn, the usual positivity from the usual muppets.

So, if it's not positive, nobody should comment?

#22 User is offline   Zytok 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2023 - 03:00 PM

Oh ffs, you'd be slagging someone off if we'd won 10-0.

#23 User is offline   plannerj 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC and many other things!

Posted 19 August 2023 - 03:02 PM

View PostWalton Spireite, on 19 August 2023 - 02:56 PM, said:

He fluffed a big chance. Other than that offered nothing of note. Very worrying on a 3 year deal. Quigley did more when he came on.

What was disappointing, and I said so to Bonnyman at half time, was that Grigg received hardly any service. Subsequently, in the second half when there were clear opportunities to put the ball into the box at Grigg’s feet our man chose to pass out wide or square. If you play a goal poacher, give him the ammunition. Simple as!

#24 User is offline   Misnomer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2023 - 03:07 PM

View PostZytok, on 19 August 2023 - 03:00 PM, said:

Oh ffs, you'd be slagging someone off if we'd won 10-0.

But we drew 1-1, made mistakes and individual performances weren't of a 10-0 standing. So, if it's ok with you; with what I believe to be constructive criticism, I'll pass judgement on here...cos THAT'S WHAT IT'S FKING HERE FOR!

#25 User is offline   Zytok 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2023 - 03:11 PM

Suit yourself, I was more referring to walton and warfey anyhow.

#26 User is offline   Misnomer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2023 - 03:12 PM

View Postplannerj, on 19 August 2023 - 03:02 PM, said:

What was disappointing, and I said so to Bonnyman at half time, was that Grigg received hardly any service. Subsequently, in the second half when there were clear opportunities to put the ball into the box at Grigg’s feet our man chose to pass out wide or square. If you play a goal poacher, give him the ammunition. Simple as!

That's a fair comment. However, Grigg doesn't look like he has any 'off the mark', explosive pace (which you need if employing that tactic). Surely, if that's how PC believes he'd be effective, we'd be utilising that exact tactic?

#27 User is offline   firedodger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2023 - 03:15 PM

Agreed, I’ve only seen the home games but the standard of the service we’ve given him has been poor although he was poor with the cross from Colclough today.
We are too safe, play far too much tippy tappy from defence and we are slow to get the ball into dangerous areas.
I was really hoping Naylor was going to run games this season, not seen it yet.
If you do what you always do, you'll get what you always get.

#28 User is offline   HoneyTrippa 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2023 - 03:17 PM

I get their elation at a last second equalizer, thats understandable but that was a classless reaction, from classless fans and a classless club. Anybody would think they had just been saved from relegation on the last day of the season. Embarrassing really. Not done themselves any favours .... just looked silly really. We are in the 21st century not the 70's and 80's.
There aint no Soul left in these old shoes... since you've been gone

#29 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2023 - 03:19 PM

Fact is it was, in terms of goals, dead ball and direct have a shot football 2 - try to pass and weave around opponents 0.
When faced with a two tier block like we did today, I struggle to understand why, when we have headers of a ball like Palmer, Grimes, Williams, Naylor and latterly Quigley, free kicks well into their half are passed sideways to have another go at passing through them.
Rather than put directly into the box.
That’s not taking anything away from our ethos, but our penalty box entries were few and far between today.

#30 User is offline   oldgoat 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2023 - 03:24 PM

It was frustrating to watch Grigg darting about their penalty area like a mad thing in the first half to create space for the ball to be sent into him .
But we were too busy passing the ball about , nice possession but not outcome other than eventually losing it .

#31 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 19 August 2023 - 03:32 PM

Correct - throughout the game Grigg continually found space in dangerous attacking positions, and watched forlornly as we passed the ball left, right, back over and over again. No wonder he was so surprised when he did finally receive a pass that he couldn't make the most of it.

#32 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 19 August 2023 - 03:58 PM

Exactly. Grigg was making space for himself all match but unfortunately he only got picked out once and made a hash of it. But he was far from disappointing.
Walton, you don't have a clue.
Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#33 User is offline   Cosmo Kramer 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2023 - 04:01 PM

View Postmetallilad, on 19 August 2023 - 03:58 PM, said:

Exactly. Grigg was making space for himself all match but unfortunately he only got picked out once and made a hash of it. But he was far from disappointing.
Walton, you don't have a clue.

By my recollection, the team have created 2 half-decent scoring chances for him so far. He's put one away (the winner on Tuesday) and not converted the other (today). That seems like he's doing a decent job of what he's in the team to do, the rest of them just have to figure out how to use him
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

#34 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 19 August 2023 - 04:16 PM

View PostWalton Spireite, on 19 August 2023 - 02:56 PM, said:

He fluffed a big chance. Other than that offered nothing of note. Very worrying on a 3 year deal. Quigley did more when he came on.

U really are a muppet

#35 User is offline   Walton Spireite 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2023 - 04:26 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 19 August 2023 - 04:16 PM, said:

U really are a muppet

So go on then explain what Grigg did exactly for 80 minutes.

#36 User is offline   1982Spireite 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 19 August 2023 - 04:30 PM

View PostWalton Spireite, on 19 August 2023 - 04:26 PM, said:

Well I didn’t go, but reading the people on this forum who have half a football brain (unlike yourself), he was continually making the movements but was not being fed the ball.

#37 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 19 August 2023 - 04:41 PM

What was disappointing, and I said so to Bonnyman at half time, was that Grigg received hardly any service. Subsequently, in the second half when there were clear opportunities to put the ball into the box at Grigg's feet our man chose to pass out wide or square. If you play a goal poacher, give him the ammunition. Simple as!

He hasn't had much service in all the games so far. He missed a sitter today but in the previous 2 games he took his goals well, there is no doubt he will get double figures..The big positive today was the performance of the defence especially Horton who has had some stick in previous games by some fans. We looked a lot stronger with a back 3 when Williams came on. A goalkeeping mistake and an offside decision which went against us cost us 2pts, but a great return of 10pts from 4games and we are in the top 3. Things will get better. I was disappointed to see jacobs on for Dobra, I would have like to have seen Berry on. Quigley did a cracking job when he came on. At the start of the season I had this one down for a draw against one of the favourites for the title, we should have won today but i'm sure we'll finish above them at the end. Keep your head up high Harry your doing well.
lindave

#38 User is offline   Jud 

• One Club Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2023 - 05:02 PM

Grigg was fine but lacked service. Unfortunately he fluffed his lines with his best chance. His current ratio is a goal every other other game. If you think this makes him a flop, you might need to lower your standards.
"Tha'd have known if l'd got hold o' thee...."

#39 User is offline   Spireite93 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2023 - 05:09 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 19 August 2023 - 01:48 PM, said:

I used to run a kids team.

Damn good 'un, too.

In fact we won the league one year.

Yeah, such was the quality of the lads - as opposed to manager, I hasten to add - we won game after game, week after week, month after month.

But of course we did eventually drop points, leaving the boys feeling absolutely devastated. So I simply gathered them together and told them to have a look at the opposite team who were celebrating as if they'd won the FA Cup, Eurovision Song Contest and Grand National all rolled into one.

'Those celebrations', I said, 'are the greatest compliment they can possibly give you'.

It took a few moments but the players eventually understood.

That, my friends, is the Oldham reaction today...

Nicely put that. We are heavy favourites, everyone thinks it and is saying it.

Unfortunately that just means that teams are going to raise their game against us or play with negative tactics to try and nullify any kind of quick free flowing threat we can offer.

Today we laboured, passed it around and held possession well for most of the game but it was much the same as last season where there wasn't much in the final 3rd

We have however scored 11 games in 4 games so I wouldn't be overly concerned, just annoying we didn't get a second goal to kill the game and come away with our best start since 1984, as they are the kinda records we're going to need to break to win the league.

#40 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 19 August 2023 - 05:09 PM

View PostWalton Spireite, on 19 August 2023 - 04:26 PM, said:

He did what good strikers do, occupied the defenders, made the runs and waited for the service. He got one chance and fluffed it.
Easy to blame the striker but we don’t play to him our other attacking players hold on to the ball when they could release him much earlier. Obviously it’s difficult for you when you are looking for a negative in everything to understand.
Probably the first game of the season you have been happy now that you will be able to act the complete rse and start multiple threads.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users