• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Interesting Take From Wrexham Fan

#41 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 15 November 2023 - 07:39 AM

Osborne again, on 15 November 2023 - 05:49 AM, said:

Mansfield Bitter and Marksman Lager was said to be made from Crown Farm Colliery mine water. It certainly softened the pooh no matter what. Home Ales wasn't much better either, unless you stuck to mild.

I cut my teeth on the ironically named “Kimberley Best Bitter” at the long gone Wheatsheaf at Tibshelf! You also forgot an honourable mention for Shipstones.
East stand second class citizen.

#42 User is offline   ivansshuffle 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2023 - 08:46 AM

Shipstones Brown Ale from the bottle was half decent, good for the bowels.

#43 User is offline   Alice Cooper 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post
  • Interests:Chesterfield Football Club,
    The Apollo moon landings,
    Military aircraft,
    Annoying my wife.

Posted 15 November 2023 - 09:21 AM

Osborne again, on 15 November 2023 - 05:49 AM, said:

Mansfield Bitter and Marksman Lager was said to be made from Crown Farm Colliery mine water. It certainly softened the pooh no matter what. Home Ales wasn't much better either, unless you stuck to mild.

Ohh thanks for that info mate. To think for almost 50 years I have believed my loose bowel movements back then was due to the chicken or scampi in a basket and not the crap beer. The famous Aquarius chicken or scampi in a basket eh? I heard the Acker had a party of Mansfield fans in one night and they all ordered soup in a basket! :wacko:
Until I'm 6 feet under baby I don't need a bed
Gonna live while I'm alive I'll sleep when I'm dead

#44 User is offline   Hong Kong Spireite 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2023 - 03:46 PM

gordon_brittas, on 13 November 2023 - 05:10 PM, said:

We’re on course so far for a return to the EFL. I’d be happy with a few seasons of mid table finishes in League 2. IMO we must build a squad and solid foundations so that the club never ever returns to this level.

I trust the management team and board to achieve that.

I would want promotion straight away. We have the squad to do it and momentum would be behind us. You'd be surprised at how many teams go up from the NL and then get promoted again the following season as there's not much difference in quality between the 2 leagues and the NL is definitely harder to get out of.

We've also just outclassed the league 1 leaders, who's fans say are the best team they've played all season, so why shouldn't we aim high? We've got the squad, the crowds, the stadium and the coaching staff for league 1 football.

#45 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2023 - 05:33 PM

Alice Cooper, on 15 November 2023 - 09:21 AM, said:

Ohh thanks for that info mate. To think for almost 50 years I have believed my loose bowel movements back then was due to the chicken or scampi in a basket and not the crap beer. The famous Aquarius chicken or scampi in a basket eh? I heard the Acker had a party of Mansfield fans in one night and they all ordered soup in a basket! :wacko:

😂😂😂, it must have been their intellectuals, because if it had been the common folk, they'd have been chewing on old truck tyres before going back to their caves.
Nowt wrong with chicken in a basket, and it was bowel friendly, sometimes 😁.
I only had to down one pint of Mansfield bitter and it used to give me severe stomach pains, and that's straight up allergic reaction to Scabfield 😆.
I had my first and only pint of Shipstones in 1973 and have been nowhere near it since 🥴.

#46 User is offline   Alice Cooper 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
    Military aircraft,
    Annoying my wife.

Posted 15 November 2023 - 07:34 PM

Osborne again, on 15 November 2023 - 05:33 PM, said:

😂😂😂, it must have been their intellectuals, because if it had been the common folk, they'd have been chewing on old truck tyres before going back to their caves.
Nowt wrong with chicken in a basket, and it was bowel friendly, sometimes 😁.
I only had to down one pint of Mansfield bitter and it used to give me severe stomach pains, and that's straight up allergic reaction to Scabfield 😆.
I had my first and only pint of Shipstones in 1973 and have been nowhere near it since 🥴.

Haha yeah the chicken and chips in a basket in the Acker back then wasn't half bad to be fair. Can't say the same about the beer though. There was some rough stuff around back then wasn't there? Mansfield, Shipstones, Kimberleys all made good weed killer for the garden. I remember my very first pint in a pub. One Sunday lunch time my brother and two of his mates took me in the Grouse on Chatsworth Road and hid me away in a corner and one of my brothers mates asked what I wanted to drink. I think I asked for a lemonade and he came back from the bar with a pint of Stones for me and said " Get that dern thee. Tha not drinking pop when tha ert wi me. "
I was 13 at the time lol.

#47 User is offline   Lincs Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2023 - 08:20 PM

Alice Cooper, on 15 November 2023 - 07:34 PM, said:

Haha yeah the chicken and chips in a basket in the Acker back then wasn't half bad to be fair. Can't say the same about the beer though. There was some rough stuff around back then wasn't there? Mansfield, Shipstones, Kimberleys all made good weed killer for the garden. I remember my very first pint in a pub. One Sunday lunch time my brother and two of his mates took me in the Grouse on Chatsworth Road and hid me away in a corner and one of my brothers mates asked what I wanted to drink. I think I asked for a lemonade and he came back from the bar with a pint of Stones for me and said " Get that dern thee. Tha not drinking pop when tha ert wi me. "

Stones beer, now that one was excellent at clearing your bowels out! :)

#48 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2023 - 08:43 PM

Alice Cooper, on 15 November 2023 - 07:34 PM, said:

Yes some dodgy brews there mate. Webster's and Worthington were two more that meant several surefire visits to the big white trumpet, and reading the squares of the Derbyshire Times before recycling 😁.
Nowt wrong with starting young, so long as you can walk straight when you leave the pub. Stone's was certainly close to enema fast, and I made the daft lad mistake of eating Albran for breakfast after a few pints of the golden laxative the night before😁. I was on afters, and I had to get my girlfriend to phone me in sick because I couldn't shift out of the loo 😂😂😂. Never did that again.

#49 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 15 November 2023 - 08:48 PM

To square the circle, comments please on Wrexham Lager.

#50 User is offline   Alice Cooper 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
    Military aircraft,
    Annoying my wife.

Posted 15 November 2023 - 08:54 PM

Osborne again, on 15 November 2023 - 08:43 PM, said:

Yes some dodgy brews there mate. Webster's and Worthington were two more that meant several surefire visits to the big white trumpet, and reading the squares of the Derbyshire Times before recycling 😁.
Nowt wrong with starting young, so long as you can walk straight when you leave the pub. Stone's was certainly close to enema fast, and I made the daft lad mistake of eating Albran for breakfast after a few pints of the golden laxative the night before😁. I was on afters, and I had to get my girlfriend to phone me in sick because I couldn't shift out of the loo 😂😂😂. Never did that again.

Haha that's brilliant I'm pmsl. :lol:
I have to admit I left the grouse that afternoon with a little bit of a wobble on.
Fifty four years on from that I can take my ale much better I'm pleased to say,
It takes two pints to get me in that state now lol :lol:

#51 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2023 - 09:05 PM

Alice Cooper, on 15 November 2023 - 08:54 PM, said:

Haha that's brilliant I'm pmsl. :lol:
I have to admit I left the grouse that afternoon with a little bit of a wobble on.
Fifty four years on from that I can take my ale much better I'm pleased to say,
It takes two pints to get me in that state now lol :lol:

🤣🤣🤣, wine gums for me these days, and I'd be off my trolley due to the tablets I'm on, but do I miss it, oh yes, in fact I have visions of handpumps dancing in my head 😁.

#52 User is offline   Alice Cooper 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
    Military aircraft,
    Annoying my wife.

Posted 15 November 2023 - 09:14 PM

Lincs Spireite, on 15 November 2023 - 08:20 PM, said:

Stones beer, now that one was excellent at clearing your bowels out! :)

Originally made in Sheffield and we all know the only good thing to come out of Sheffield is the A61 into Chesterfield don't we mate lol.

#53 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 15 November 2023 - 09:39 PM

Alice Cooper, on 15 November 2023 - 09:14 PM, said:

Originally made in Sheffield and we all know the only good thing to come out of Sheffield is the A61 into Chesterfield don't we mate lol.

With the exception of "Wards' a proper gut cleaner.
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#54 User is offline   tomjoad 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bruce Springsteen Southside Counting Crows Abbot ale and LMS no 8s!

Posted 15 November 2023 - 10:39 PM

Well the Stones in the Miners on Sanforth Street is good and was when it was served in the renamed Rose n Crown.
Gardners was a Mansfield house as was Bell and Punch Bowl?
Welbeck was god awful Kimberleys but the Guiness was always spot on.
Home ales in the Queens Park Hotel and Queens Head? Best avoided.

Alice Cooper, on 15 November 2023 - 09:14 PM, said:

What did you drink in Grassmoor?

#55 User is offline   Alice Cooper 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
    Military aircraft,
    Annoying my wife.

Posted 15 November 2023 - 10:54 PM

tomjoad, on 15 November 2023 - 10:39 PM, said:

Well the Stones in the Miners on Sanforth Street is good and was when it was served in the renamed Rose n Crown.
Gardners was a Mansfield house as was Bell and Punch Bowl?
Welbeck was god awful Kimberleys but the Guiness was always spot on.
Home ales in the Queens Park Hotel and Queens Head? Best avoided.

What did you drink in Grassmoor?

I don't frequent the pubs in Grassmoor mate and never have except for buying the odd bottle of Double Diamond and Jubilee stout from the off sales window at the Miners Arms when I was about 15 lol.

This post has been edited by Alice Cooper: 15 November 2023 - 11:00 PM

#56 User is offline   stainlessstephen 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 November 2023 - 11:56 PM

60s 70s Spireite, on 15 November 2023 - 08:48 PM, said:

To square the circle, comments please on Wrexham Lager.

I remember it being sold in Leek once, in the Park Inn, and it was absolute muck.

We never had Mansfield beer here, guess its a geographical thing, you would unlikely see Joules (from Stone, Staffordshire) sold in Chesterfield.

On trips to Lancashire, comments on Thwaites (again, its slops) - my dad used to call it "tw@tts".

This post has been edited by stainlessstephen: 15 November 2023 - 11:56 PM

Mainframe... Uncle Eric is helping police with their enquiries

#57 User is offline   Hong Kong Spireite 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 November 2023 - 04:45 AM

gordon_brittas, on 13 November 2023 - 05:10 PM, said:

We’re on course so far for a return to the EFL. I’d be happy with a few seasons of mid table finishes in League 2. IMO we must build a squad and solid foundations so that the club never ever returns to this level.

I trust the management team and board to achieve that.

I would want promotion straight away. We have the squad to do it and momentum would be behind us. You'd be surprised at how many teams go up from the NL and then get promoted again the following season as there's not much difference in quality between the 2 leagues and the NL is definitely harder to get out of.

We've also just outclassed the league 1 leaders, who's fans say we are the best team they've played all season, so why shouldn't we aim high? We've got the squad, the crowds, the stadium and the coaching staff for league 1 football.

This post has been edited by Hong Kong Spireite: 16 November 2023 - 05:34 AM

#58 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 16 November 2023 - 06:01 AM

Hong Kong Spireite, on 16 November 2023 - 04:45 AM, said:

We've also just outclassed the league 1 leaders, who's fans say we are the best team they've played all season, so why shouldn't we aim high? We've got the squad, the crowds, the stadium and the coaching staff for league 1 football.

We’d be able to hold our own in L1, as we had for many years. We’ve only been sunk in the last 1/4 century by a fraudster and an inept sock puppet.

It wasn’t until the Sock puppet was given full control that we went from a mid table L1 outfit to a non league side in the new ground.

We’d be a solid L1 7000 ish average mid table side. Possibly more if we had back to back promotions and the momentum with us.
A new hope.

#59 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 16 November 2023 - 07:33 AM

tomjoad, on 15 November 2023 - 10:39 PM, said:

Well the Stones in the Miners on Sanforth Street is good

Only found out that place even existed earlier this season and been in a few times now post-match.

First time we went I had to transfer my mate some money as they only take cash lol

#60 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 16 November 2023 - 08:11 AM

The grim drinks choices put me off. Carling and Stones? No ta! Presumably they have Diamond White, Black Label and Babycham in the fridge.

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users