• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Impact Of Saudi League

#41 User is offline   Zytok 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 July 2023 - 04:26 AM

Meanwhile, it is less than two years since Jordan Henderson wrote 900 words in the Liverpool matchday programme, expressing his support of Stonewall's Rainbow Laces campaign.

"I do believe when you see something that is clearly wrong and makes another human being feel excluded you should stand shoulder-to-shoulder with them," the Reds captain wrote.

Presumably, only unless someone offers you 700 grand a week. Former town legend Hitzlsperger has already voiced his disappointment after originally believing Henderson's support for the LGBTQ+ community was "genuine".

edit. Just seen the atrociously edited signing video where his rainbow armband is covered at all times and PMSL. "Eh, khalm down, yer caant weer dat in ere mate"

This post has been edited by Zytok: 28 July 2023 - 05:08 AM

#42 User is offline   Manfred Archie Mac Gerbil 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post
  • Interests:Chesterfield
    Racing
    Anagrams
    Puzzles

Posted 28 July 2023 - 06:04 AM

Zytok said:

1690518390[/url]' post='1757615']
Meanwhile, it is less than two years since Jordan Henderson wrote 900 words in the Liverpool matchday programme, expressing his support of Stonewall's Rainbow Laces campaign.

"I do believe when you see something that is clearly wrong and makes another human being feel excluded you should stand shoulder-to-shoulder with them," the Reds captain wrote.

Presumably, only unless someone offers you 700 grand a week. Former town legend Hitzlsperger has already voiced his disappointment after originally believing Henderson's support for the LGBTQ+ community was "genuine".

edit. Just seen the atrociously edited signing video where his rainbow armband is covered at all times and PMSL. "Eh, khalm down, yer caant weer dat in ere mate"

I think Henderson was about to ‘come out’ until he found out how much the Saudis were offering him, he’ll postpone that for now.

It was never about the rainbow just the pot of gold at the end of it.
Let me in!

#43 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2023 - 06:50 AM

Pathetic by Henderson, gone down massively in my estimation (sure he’ll be gutted to find that out)

#44 User is offline   Manfred Archie Mac Gerbil 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Racing
    Anagrams
    Puzzles

Posted 28 July 2023 - 07:29 AM

Goku said:

1690527006[/url]' post='1757623']
Pathetic by Henderson, gone down massively in my estimation (sure he'll be gutted to find that out)

All these so called principles are available if the price is right.

Why would anyone make such a big deal of gay rights, then play in a World Cup and then go and live in Saudi Arabia.

I think even the Saudis have only signed him for a giggle just to show the world they really will sign anyone.
Let me in!

#45 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 28 July 2023 - 07:33 AM

Manfred Archie Mac Gerbil, on 28 July 2023 - 07:29 AM, said:

All these so called principles are available if the price is right.

Why would anyone make such a big deal of gay rights, then play in a World Cup and then go and live in Saudi Arabia.

I think even the Saudis have only signed him for a giggle just to show the world they really will sign anyone.

Shall we use this as a wider critique of capitalism; ergo, money overriding principle?

This post has been edited by Goku: 28 July 2023 - 07:33 AM

#46 User is offline   Manfred Archie Mac Gerbil 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Racing
    Anagrams
    Puzzles

Posted 28 July 2023 - 08:07 AM

Goku said:

1690529598[/url]' post='1757632']
Shall we use this as a wider critique of capitalism; ergo, money overriding principle?

Yeh he sold out, Jordan Henderson no longer has a soul.

If only he hadn’t made such a noise about gay rights in the first place….
Let me in!

#47 User is offline   oldgoat 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2023 - 08:54 AM

Not quite as iffy but a bit obscene

https://www.bbc.co.u...otball/66287294

#48 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 31 October 2023 - 06:47 PM

So Saudi Arabia to run unopposed for the 2034 World Cup following Australia’s withdrawal. They withdrew after the Asian federation said they were voting for the Saudis.

Presumably means another winter World Cup.

#49 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 31 October 2023 - 07:55 PM

JonB, on 31 October 2023 - 06:47 PM, said:

So Saudi Arabia to run unopposed for the 2034 World Cup following Australia’s withdrawal. They withdrew after the Asian federation said they were voting for the Saudis.

Presumably means another winter World Cup.

Might get stadium wide air conditioning by then. Or maybe there’ll be outside air conditioning for the entire country

This post has been edited by azul: 31 October 2023 - 07:55 PM

Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#50 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 31 October 2023 - 08:03 PM

azul, on 31 October 2023 - 07:55 PM, said:

Might get stadium wide air conditioning by then. Or maybe there’ll be outside air conditioning for the entire country

I think the more minimalist countries realise it’s no point bidding against the the dollars. Sad to say the WCs we knew as kids, once in Europe, once is SA, are long gone.
East stand second class citizen.

#51 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 31 October 2023 - 08:10 PM

Mr Mercury, on 31 October 2023 - 08:03 PM, said:

I think the more minimalist countries realise it’s no point bidding against the the dollars. Sad to say the WCs we knew as kids, once in Europe, once is SA, are long gone.

There is a process, currently but presumably FIFA could change it if they wanted to, that spreads it round. Due to where it’s going to be next and after that It prevents countries like America, European countries from bidding for 2034.

They did however alter the deadline for 2034 bidding changing to make it quite soon at the last minute to play into Saudi Arabia’s hands.

#52 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 31 October 2023 - 08:40 PM

Mr Mercury, on 31 October 2023 - 08:03 PM, said:

I have no objection to it being held in any region as part of the remit of FIFA is to expand the game but to have it in the Middle East in little over a decade is rancid.

However we have to recognise the expansion of the finals (also rancid) makes it harder for medium sized countries and more importantly medium sized economies to compete. Take a look at the debacle that is the Euros, or maybe better not as we are net beneficiaries of it.

This post has been edited by azul: 31 October 2023 - 08:44 PM

#53 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 October 2023 - 09:21 PM

azul, on 31 October 2023 - 08:40 PM, said:

I have no objection to it being held in any region as part of the remit of FIFA is to expand the game but to have it in the Middle East in little over a decade is rancid.

However we have to recognise the expansion of the finals (also rancid) makes it harder for medium sized countries and more importantly medium sized economies to compete. Take a look at the debacle that is the Euros, or maybe better not as we are net beneficiaries of it.

It's my opinion that it's more about filling back pockets than filling stadiums in the backwaters of football. I wouldn't trust a FIFA official to walk straight, let alone talk straight.

#54 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 31 October 2023 - 09:55 PM

azul, on 31 October 2023 - 08:40 PM, said:

But starting with Blatter, and possibly getting even worse with Infantino, the corruption of FIFA was never to expand the game to outlying areas, just recognising that areas that have no affiliation with the game do actually have the money, so much for supporting the diversity of the game that they once again decide to take the Cup to the least diverse area of the planet.
East stand second class citizen.

#55 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 31 October 2023 - 10:29 PM

Mr Mercury, on 31 October 2023 - 09:55 PM, said:

But starting with Blatter, and possibly getting even worse with Infantino, the corruption of FIFA was never to expand the game to outlying areas, just recognising that areas that have no affiliation with the game do actually have the money, so much for supporting the diversity of the game that they once again decide to take the Cup to the least diverse area of the planet.

Saudi has had an affiliation with the game, well longer that the likes of Japan/Korea anyway and nobody threw brickbats at them when they got call. The other points are arguable to some extent or another.

By the time this completion comes around, the Saudis will own our country and we’ll probably be a feeder league for theirs :angry:

#56 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 01 November 2023 - 07:53 AM

azul, on 31 October 2023 - 10:29 PM, said:

Saudi has had an affiliation with the game, well longer that the likes of Japan/Korea anyway and nobody threw brickbats at them when they got call. The other points are arguable to some extent or another.

By the time this completion comes around, the Saudis will own our country and we’ll probably be a feeder league for theirs :angry:

Whilst ever the teams are playing infront of 700 gate crowds.. ( is 700 a crowd in a massive stadium?) The TV companies wont take an interest, also yyounger players won't go, the league has no prestige to it, like winning a Premier league, la liga, bundesliga etc, so other than over the hill big names the Saudis league won't be a big draw for anyone else,.. it probs won't fizzle out, but it will be irrelevant...
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#57 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 November 2023 - 12:31 PM

spireitetoo, on 01 November 2023 - 07:53 AM, said:

Whilst ever the teams are playing infront of 700 gate crowds.. ( is 700 a crowd in a massive stadium?) The TV companies wont take an interest, also yyounger players won't go, the league has no prestige to it, like winning a Premier league, la liga, bundesliga etc, so other than over the hill big names the Saudis league won't be a big draw for anyone else,.. it probs won't fizzle out, but it will be irrelevant...

Why watch a football match, when they can watch some poor sod from the Philippines fall off a scaffold. A place where stones isn't an alcoholic beverage,but a way of execution. A place of gold bathrooms, if you're rich,or an early death if you're poor. I've never been one to sell my soul to the devil, and it's hard to understand why footballers,who have been dragging in top dollar playing in the European leagues need to play over there for one last payday. How much money is enough?

#58 User is offline   hewittfan 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 November 2023 - 05:02 PM

JonB, on 31 October 2023 - 08:10 PM, said:

There is a process, currently but presumably FIFA could change it if they wanted to, that spreads it round. Due to where it’s going to be next and after that It prevents countries like America, European countries from bidding for 2034.

They did however alter the deadline for 2034 bidding changing to make it quite soon at the last minute to play into Saudi Arabia’s hands.

The next World Cup is in North America, the one after that is in Europe/Africa/South America (ridiculously), so under FIFA’s rotation system that ruled all of them out for 2034, leaving only Asia and Oceania. I think Australia withdrew because they realised that the whole thing was a set up for Saudi to win the bid!

#59 User is online   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 01 November 2023 - 05:27 PM

hewittfan, on 01 November 2023 - 05:02 PM, said:

The next World Cup is in North America, the one after that is in Europe/Africa/South America (ridiculously), so under FIFA's rotation system that ruled all of them out for 2034, leaving only Asia and Oceania. I think Australia withdrew because they realised that the whole thing was a set up for Saudi to win the bid!

Strictly speaking and controversially Australia is classed as Asia as they are in the AFC not the OFC, the biggest team in the OFC is New Zealand.
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#60 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 18 January 2024 - 06:46 AM

Are the wheels slowing coming loose for this project already, there seems to be players having their contracts terminated, rumblings of other players not happy out there ??
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users