• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Picken at CM

#1 User is offline   spireite tom 

• joke town
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 April 2006 - 07:48 PM

whats everyone thoughts on him today in his new position??

i thought he looked composed and he got the ball down and played football alot more than NIven did, he played very well alongside Alott
Spireite til i die

#2 User is offline   CFC Forever 

• Loyal Blue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2006 - 07:51 PM

i thought he had a good game.... i also thought the rest of the midfield did well today

Allott and ohara were immense !!
There's Only One Caleb Folan !!!!

#3 User is offline   Gary the Snail 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2006 - 08:37 PM

Left Back, Right Back, Centre Midfield - it's total football!

Can anyone recall having such a versitle player that looks so accomplished in so many positions?

We must sign this guy permanently.

#4 User is online   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:21 PM

View PostSparkys Dream, on Apr 15 2006, 09:37 PM, said:

Left Back, Right Back, Centre Midfield - it's total football!
Can anyone recall having such a versitle player that looks so accomplished in so many positions?
We must sign this guy permanently.

True

No

Please!

#5 User is online   dalekpete 

• CFC & Trust Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket, Doctor Who and criminal justice.

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:29 PM

- it's total football!

In the first-half we were pointing out the "total football" aspect. Everyone comfortable on the ball including the defender in midfield. Overlapping full-backs and quick passing boosted by some deft show-boating. On top of this a work-rate that pressed the opponents at every opportunity. Of course all this was led by Mark Allott in the Johan Cruyff role. I thought Allott was superb in the first period.
Peter Whiteley

#6 User is offline   h again 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:47 PM

View Postdalekpete, on Apr 15 2006, 10:29 PM, said:

In the first-half we were pointing out the "total football" aspect. Everyone comfortable on the ball including the defender in midfield. Overlapping full-backs and quick passing boosted by some deft show-boating. On top of this a work-rate that pressed the opponents at every opportunity. Of course all this was led by Mark Allott in the Johan Cruyff role. I thought Allott was superb in the first period.

Great stuff, Pete. I think Allott has won over everybody on these boards - quite remarkable when you look at the stick he was getting only a few months ago.
What's your attitude to playing him deep and letting Niven make the forward runs? I can't fault his performances tidying up the midfield, but I can't help but feel we'd open defences up a lot more easily with him operating in the opponents' half - and, please, shooting a lot more often.

#7 Guest_spireiteblue_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 15 April 2006 - 11:37 PM

View Posth again, on Apr 15 2006, 10:47 PM, said:

Great stuff, Pete. I think Allott has won over everybody on these boards - quite remarkable when you look at the stick he was getting only a few months ago.
What's your attitude to playing him deep and letting Niven make the forward runs? I can't fault his performances tidying up the midfield, but I can't help but feel we'd open defences up a lot more easily with him operating in the opponents' half - and, please, shooting a lot more often.

I wouldn't say everybody :( i must have been one of the last to vote on player of the month and Allott and Picken was neck and neck,i voted for the most consistent player,guess who,he was announced today at the game :D

#8 User is offline   SarahKo 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2006 - 04:53 AM

:( :huh: soooooooo touching......
:huh: :huh: he succeeds!!!!!! :(
:D :wub: :wub:
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Barian 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2006 - 08:47 AM

Andy Kowalski?

David Pugh?

#10 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 16 April 2006 - 09:48 AM

View Posth again, on Apr 15 2006, 10:47 PM, said:

Not me H.
Who did their winger shrug off like confetti at the start of his goal run?.
And who then proceeds to give Downes, who had been left totally exposed, a mock a severe dressing down?.
Three phrases you cannot put with a positive drift in the same sentence - Allott, Captain, Clean Sheet.
As you say, he's most effective further forward.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#11 Guest_spireiteblue_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 16 April 2006 - 09:57 AM

View Postdim view, on Apr 16 2006, 10:48 AM, said:

Not me H.
Who did their winger shrug off like confetti at the start of his goal run?.
And who then proceeds to give Downes, who had been left totally exposed, a mock a severe dressing down?.
Three phrases you cannot put with a positive drift in the same sentence - Allott, Captain, Clean Sheet.
As you say, he's most effective further forward.

I heard someone say yesterday we have picked up only 9 points whilst Allott has been captain,whether this is true i don't know i haven't checked,but i think we need a new leader for next season !

#12 User is offline   Benman 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2006 - 10:13 AM

[b][u][b]We may be bringing back Total football[u]

#13 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 16 April 2006 - 12:45 PM

Allott is a good player but it seems obvious to me he is wasted playing in front of the back 4, its yet more questionable tactics from the man who seems to hell bent on throwing points away and who is succeding as we are currently on a run of 22 points out of 72.

Picken looked good at times for me yesterday and at other times he looked lost as we played a narrow diamond that noone seemt quite sure who was supposed to be in what position. This is why Parkinson put on the wideman and negated our tactics, this is why they got an inevitable equalizer and its why they are at the top, we have the master tactician McFarland and we are near the bottom.
Guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

#14 User is offline   DMU Blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2006 - 04:27 PM

seems to me he does a danm good job playing in front of the back 4. allows niven to close down and ohara to do his thing... everything. plus your other midfielder or 2 in 451. it jus plugs the gap between midfield and defence. i think its a great tactic and allott is doing a great job
Up the Blues

#15 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 16 April 2006 - 04:33 PM

View PostMeden Blue, on Apr 16 2006, 05:27 PM, said:

seems to me he does a danm good job playing in front of the back 4. allows niven to close down and ohara to do his thing... everything. plus your other midfielder or 2 in 451. it jus plugs the gap between midfield and defence. i think its a great tactic and allott is doing a great job

Yes the results agree with your observations dont they?

#16 User is offline   DMU Blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2006 - 04:37 PM

drew with 2nd in the league. allott is playing well in that position. many comments on here saying he's playing well. were missing our 2 main center halfs. our main left back and our right back is only just returning to fitness.

yea your right straight 442 please next time.

the diomond thing worked well. allot swept up. niven and picken battled in the middle. ohara played just infront picking up lose balls or taking the ball and getting it forward. colchester really struggled with it for large parts of the game. did they really have that many chances? did we play badly? did we get hammered as predicted? no, we probably deserved 2 win and almost did!

MB
Up the Blues

#17 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 16 April 2006 - 04:43 PM

View PostMeden Blue, on Apr 16 2006, 05:37 PM, said:

drew with 2nd in the league. allott is playing well in that position. many comments on here saying he's playing well. were missing our 2 main center halfs. our main left back and our right back is only just returning to fitness.

the diomond thing worked well. allot swept up. niven and picken battled in the middle. ohara played just infront picking up lose balls or taking the ball and getting it forward. colchester really struggled with it for large parts of the game. did they really have that many chances? did we play badly? did we get hammered as predicted? no, we probably deserved 2 win and almost did!

MB

Allot has played just infront of the back four for quite a few games now and we havent won any of them. I'm not blaming Allot as I think he's a good player its the tactics and subs from McFarland I think are poor. Recent form suggests we are struggling big style or are you another whose has their head in the sand and thinks everything is really OK?

This post has been edited by Town_Fan: 16 April 2006 - 04:43 PM

#18 User is offline   Bob 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2006 - 04:57 PM

Whilst I am not a great Allott fan I though yesterday he had a very good game particularly in the first half. I do not think he makes a good captain and to be honest I don't think we have one in the team - something Roy should have resolved agaes ago.
I don't blame the players for the performances it is basically we have the tactics wrong, we usually start ok but the opposition work out what we are doing and sort us out after that we seem totally unable to adapt to change sthe opposition make during a game. This is down to Roy and Rico to resolve and this is their major failing.

Bob

This post has been edited by Bob: 16 April 2006 - 04:58 PM

Bob

My wish was always to see the club in the Championship before I die but they have let me down

#19 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 16 April 2006 - 05:05 PM

View PostTown_Fan, on Apr 16 2006, 05:43 PM, said:

Allot has played just infront of the back four for quite a few games now and we havent won any of them. I'm not blaming Allot as I think he's a good player its the tactics and subs from McFarland I think are poor. Recent form suggests we are struggling big style or are you another whose has their head in the sand and thinks everything is really OK?

plenty of them about, beware they will try to get you
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#20 User is online   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 16 April 2006 - 06:04 PM

View PostMeden Blue, on Apr 16 2006, 05:37 PM, said:

MB

Absolutely correct MB, the tactics on Saturday were fine; we outplayed the 3rd placed team in the first half, and could easily have won the game. Every player performed well, with Picken, O'Hara and Allott the MOM contenders for me. I think the usual pathetic whingers are a bit put out because their predictions of doom failed to materialise.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users