• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Attendances

#1 User is offline   Piemuncher 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 December 2023 - 10:03 PM

Can anyone understand why the attendances are so high, I know we’re flying but they’re much better than the championship seasons, plus we can watch every league match online?

#2 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 December 2023 - 10:39 PM

View PostPiemuncher, on 22 December 2023 - 10:03 PM, said:

Can anyone understand why the attendances are so high, I know we’re flying but they’re much better than the championship seasons, plus we can watch every league match online?

A starting point is that attendances across all leagues have been showing an increase year on year.
But there is no doubt this is some of the best times we’ve had in years. The football and entertainment is off the scale.

#3 User is offline   Aspireite 

• Youth Team Player
  • Group: Admin

Posted 22 December 2023 - 10:41 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 22 December 2023 - 10:39 PM, said:

A starting point is that attendances across all leagues have been showing an increase year on year.
But there is no doubt this is some of the best times we've had in years. The football and entertainment is off the scale.

Also opening the North stand to home fans nost games must help

#4 User is offline   Piemuncher 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 December 2023 - 10:59 PM

Do you think of we’ve opened the North stand in the championship seasons, we would have got the same attendances, I don’t think we would.

#5 User is offline   Fit as a Nelson 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 December 2023 - 11:01 PM

View PostPiemuncher, on 22 December 2023 - 10:59 PM, said:

Do you think of we’ve opened the North stand in the championship seasons, we would have got the same attendances, I don’t think we would.

When did we play in the championship? :windup

#6 User is offline   Piemuncher 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 December 2023 - 11:03 PM

When we won the league championships, I’ve got a feeling you know what I meant

#7 User is offline   spireitebri 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2023 - 06:20 AM

If things continue as they are, we are in Danger of out growing the stadium. I wonder if the massive house building going on in and around the area is having an affect. A lot these people must be incomers and with the success on the field more people are wanting to come and watch the local team.

#8 User is offline   Zigsuk 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 23 December 2023 - 06:35 AM

I think also there are more business / enterprising initiatives and hospitality these days. Such things were unknown at Saltergate. Indeed in all the years at Saltergate and even in the early years of the stadium which constantly changes its name there were few initiatives designed to increase attendances. They seem to be more creative these days. For years at Saltergate the club limped along without a single new idea. Indeed the only changes back then were the constant shrinking of the ground capacity.

#9 User is offline   lindo-spireite 

• Legend

Posted 23 December 2023 - 07:25 AM

Another factor probably being the premier league is garbage, think a lot of folk are genuinely sick of it nowadays.

Also a big increase in children walking around in town shirts the summer just gone, before we even started the season. The trust must be doing something right.
Messageboard mafia. AKA - The Big Dog

#10 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 23 December 2023 - 07:38 AM

View Postlindo-spireite, on 23 December 2023 - 07:25 AM, said:

Another factor probably being the premier league is garbage, think a lot of folk are genuinely sick of it nowadays.

Also a big increase in children walking around in town shirts the summer just gone, before we even started the season. The trust must be doing something right.

The first line offers little help, in that the Premier League saw a record gross attendance last season. As a percentage of capacity, median average attendances were 98%.

#11 User is offline   lindo-spireite 

• Legend

Posted 23 December 2023 - 07:49 AM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 23 December 2023 - 07:38 AM, said:

The first line offers little help, in that the Premier League saw a record gross attendance last season. As a percentage of capacity, median average attendances were 98%.

Premier league games will likely always sell out, but your average football fan that would likely stay at home and watch the premier league through firesticks or that awful Gillette soccer special will be more likely to go down to their local team nowadays I reckon
Messageboard mafia. AKA - The Big Dog

#12 User is offline   Exharboroughspireite 

• ExHarboroughspireite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2023 - 08:01 AM

The community trust with their frequent adult for £10 and kids for £3 is a really good idea to attract younger supporters. I coach an u8 side and half of them watch town on a regular basis. All have town kits and other merchandise. It's good for the future.

This post has been edited by Exharboroughspireite: 23 December 2023 - 08:02 AM

#13 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2023 - 08:09 AM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 23 December 2023 - 07:38 AM, said:

Yet viewership of Sky Sports and the like is down massively.

Folk have disengaged with the game at the top level in droves for multitude of reasons that are obvious for all. Many have turned to non league / lower leagues to get their football fix. You only have to look at gates across the FL all the way down the pyramid post Covid to see that.

We aren’t an anomaly in this at all, but we are definitely one of the success stories

#14 User is offline   ronpowellsbutler 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Irony

Posted 23 December 2023 - 10:09 AM

View PostPiemuncher, on 22 December 2023 - 10:03 PM, said:

More people are going to games 😀

#15 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 23 December 2023 - 10:14 AM

View PostCFC91, on 23 December 2023 - 08:09 AM, said:

Folk have disengaged with the game at the top level in droves for multitude of reasons that are obvious for all. Many have turned to non league / lower leagues to get their football fix. You only have to look at gates across the FL all the way down the pyramid post Covid to see that.

We aren’t an anomaly in this at all, but we are definitely one of the success stories

Maybe the premiership and football in general has reached saturation point when it comes televised games and some people just want the real thing
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#16 User is offline   6 Pint Spireite 

• Trialist
  • PipPip

Posted 23 December 2023 - 10:29 AM

I think it’s the consistency of winning! For the past 3 seasons we’ve been right in the mixer all season winning a majority of games. It keep people on the hook and interested.

Weird theory too…but actually has football become a good value for money afternoon? When we first dropped down, paying £20 five years ago felt like an insult for football at this level. Whereas now, with how prices on everything else have gone, there’s not a lot you can get for £20. Compared to everything else, football ticket prices haven’t inflated along with the trend.

Weird theory, I know, I await my execution at the hands of the usual firing squad

#17 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 23 December 2023 - 10:30 AM

View PostCFC91, on 23 December 2023 - 08:09 AM, said:

I can see that Sky Sports programmes, and BBC’s Football Focus, are losing viewers, but from what I can see, Sky Premier League viewers are up on last year. See https://www.barb.co....onthly-viewing/

To be hoped someone somewhere, at league and club level, is, via surveys, seeking the facts behind the growth in attendances, so clubs can build on it.

I’ve seen an article that says crowds have increased dramatically historically after a national crises (eg WW2) or enormous success (1966 WC).
Similarly post Covid.

#18 User is offline   Nickycw 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2023 - 10:39 AM

I’d say covid was the main factor, coupled with the start of our reversal in fortunes during this period. Since then it’s been playoff battles & promotion battles every season, which is always likely to draw people in.

#19 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2023 - 11:09 AM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 23 December 2023 - 10:30 AM, said:

I can see that Sky Sports programmes, and BBC’s Football Focus, are losing viewers, but from what I can see, Sky Premier League viewers are up on last year. See https://www.barb.co....onthly-viewing/

To be hoped someone somewhere, at league and club level, is, via surveys, seeking the facts behind the growth in attendances, so clubs can build on it.

I’ve seen an article that says crowds have increased dramatically historically after a national crises (eg WW2) or enormous success (1966 WC).
Similarly post Covid.

People (younger generations) are consuming media and live sport in totally different ways to anyone born pre 2000. A lot more blogs, YouTube, social media, etc and a lot less actual live sport. On demand and catch up services are flying and we do a big bulk of our advertising on these channels now rather than your bread and butter TV advertising

#20 User is offline   erniemossity 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Beer, town, decent boozers

Posted 23 December 2023 - 11:58 AM

Gonna be an increasing amount of disappointed walk ups if our success continues. Not sure if the club hold back any tickets for these, but with only 270 odd tickets left for today, if they don’t open N5 up then some folk will not be happy. Not everyone does social media.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users