Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Chesterfield Fc Memorial Garden - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Chesterfield Fc Memorial Garden Emotional moment

#1 User is offline   dalekpete 

• CFC & Trust Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Cricket, Doctor Who and criminal justice.

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:14 PM

For me there have been many emotional moments associated with Chesterfield FC. Not all were directly linked to the games on the pitch.

Leaving the Recreation Ground, the End of an Era celebrations and just walking around an empty shell after the Club left the Trust behind stand out.

On Whittington Moor there have been three points when I have had to stop and let the moment sink in.

The first was, in full PPE, when I took visitors around a partly completed stadium. Then I had to pinch myself to prove that this wasn’t just a dream for my Club.

A second “take-a-deep-breath” moment was walking around The Hub when the Trust took possession of the facility that I see as the real legacy of fan ownership.

Today I really felt the hairs stand up on the back of my neck as the War Memorial plaque was put into the stone at the southern end of the Chesterfield FC Memorial Garden. This is an ambitious project conceived by the Supporters Club, funded by supporter fund-raising and project managed by supporters. If all goes well the first phase will be fully funded after tomorrow’s Gala Dinner.

I hope all fans will visit the garden and continue to support its up-keep and development.
Peter Whiteley

#2 User is offline   Guest_freelander2_* 

• *Deleted*
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: *Deleted*

Posted 01 August 2014 - 06:20 PM

View Postdalekpete, on 01 August 2014 - 06:14 PM, said:

For me there have been many emotional moments associated with Chesterfield FC. Not all were directly linked to the games on the pitch.

Leaving the Recreation Ground, the End of an Era celebrations and just walking around an empty shell after the Club left the Trust behind stand out.

On Whittington Moor there have been three points when I have had to stop and let the moment sink in.

The first was, in full PPE, when I took visitors around a partly completed stadium. Then I had to pinch myself to prove that this wasn’t just a dream for my Club.

A second “take-a-deep-breath” moment was walking around The Hub when the Trust took possession of the facility that I see as the real legacy of fan ownership.

Today I really felt the hairs stand up on the back of my neck as the War Memorial plaque was put into the stone at the southern end of the Chesterfield FC Memorial Garden. This is an ambitious project conceived by the Supporters Club, funded by supporter fund-raising and project managed by supporters. If all goes well the first phase will be fully funded after tomorrow’s Gala Dinner.

I hope all fans will visit the garden and continue to support its up-keep and development.

As ever, well done to all concerned, especially the volunteers.

#3 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:28 PM

Well said Pete. I was in Chesters and watched the plaques being placed. Love the turnstile too. Well done to all
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#4 User is online   Paul Fisher 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:14 PM

It's an amazing achievement which makes me really proud to be a Chesterfield supporter and for a self-less few to take on board the initiative and run with it. You know who you are. Well done and thanks.

#5 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:05 AM

I hope tonight's dinner is a success. I'd have liked to have raised a table but lots of the likely lads will be playing cricket today.

#6 User is offline   charleyfarley11 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2014 - 08:44 AM

stop it pete you will get me going!

in all seriousness, this makes me so proud to be a chesterfield supporter and am looking forward to seeing the memorial garden on my next visit to my beloved home town for the huddersfield game. We can never repay what these men did for our country and we should take time out occasionally to remember them.

#7 User is offline   First of the gang 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:09 AM

#8 User is offline   First of the gang 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:34 AM

Attended the short service last Friday with relatives and friends whose ashes were interred in the new Memorial Garden.It was very moving to see how our little club means so much to the lives of everyday people who live and work in this town.I have today received a letter from the widow of my friend who I was honoured to represent who said she would never forget the genuine sympathy expressed by everyone at Chesterfield F C following the tragic loss of her husband and two young sons 20 years ago.She was unable to attend on the day as it would still be to distressing even after all this time but we will visit next time she comes to town.As young boys and teenagers Dave and I used to follow Town all over the country and now Dave Tom and Adam have made one last trip,
At the end of the day we're all Spireites aren't we ?

#9 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 02 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

Do they allow caskets to be buried there? Or do the ashes go straight into the soil?

#10 User is offline   First of the gang 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:23 AM

The ashes were all in individual urns and were blessed by the club chaplain as they were placed in the little round well.In due course a commemorative football will be placed on top

#11 User is offline   dalekpete 

• CFC & Trust Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 August 2014 - 01:29 PM

View PostSpire-Power, on 02 August 2014 - 09:58 AM, said:

Do they allow caskets to be buried there? Or do the ashes go straight into the soil?

The burying of the urns was a one-off as most were removed from Saltergate and so could be accommodated during the build.

It is intended that anyone from now on can have their ashes placed without a container into the ground. Full details of this service will be posted over the next few days.
Peter Whiteley

#12 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:01 PM

View Postdalekpete, on 02 August 2014 - 01:29 PM, said:

The burying of the urns was a one-off as most were removed from Saltergate and so could be accommodated during the build.

It is intended that anyone from now on can have their ashes placed without a container into the ground. Full details of this service will be posted over the next few days.

Sounds like ashes could inter mingle so to speak. Doesnt bother me personally but it would many families

#13 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 02 August 2014 - 10:15 PM

The first was, in full PPE, when I took visitors around a partly completed stadium. Then I had to pinch myself to prove that this wasn't just a dream for my Club.

A second "take-a-deep-breath" moment was walking around The Hub when the Trust took possession of the facility that I see as the real legacy of fan ownership.

Today I really felt the hairs stand up on the back of my neck as the War Memorial plaque was put into the stone at the southern end of the Chesterfield FC Memorial Garden. This is an ambitious project conceived by the Supporters Club, funded by supporter fund-raising and project managed by supporters. If all goes well the first phase will be fully funded after tomorrow's Gala Dinner.

Excellent stuff - could we have a "wishing well" with a permanent "collection point" type of thing, and give annual donations to the poppy fund? Folks can toss in loose change.

That would be a truly worthy thing to do for the legacy of the great war - remembered this year.

A new hope.

#14 User is offline   dalekpete 

• CFC & Trust Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2014 - 07:08 PM

View PostSpire-Power, on 02 August 2014 - 10:01 PM, said:

Sounds like ashes could inter mingle so to speak. Doesnt bother me personally but it would many families

Still working on the "rules" and the logistics of running a Memorial Garden but think that any scattering or deposit of ashes means returning that person's remains to common ground. If we do use a system where ashes are interred in a standard spot then the family will be invited to place soil over the ashes before any other ceremony.
Peter Whiteley

#15 User is offline   philtooleycfss 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:48 PM

View Posta kick in the balls, on 02 August 2014 - 10:15 PM, said:

Excellent stuff - could we have a "wishing well" with a permanent "collection point" type of thing, and give annual donations to the poppy fund? Folks can toss in loose change.

That would be a truly worthy thing to do for the legacy of the great war - remembered this year.

I'm looking at tasteful, secure possibilities regarding this at the moment - have someone who wants to sponsor something but it needs to fit in.

Phil

#16 User is offline   spireitedave 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:58 PM

Well done to all concerned - cant wait to see the finished article on my next visit to my home town for the first league game.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users