Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Your best memories of The Recreation Ground? - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your best memories of The Recreation Ground?

#41 User is offline   darthspireite 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:25 AM

Enjoyed that free kick ( believe we were playing Oldham, but i may be corrected on this, when a player who eludes my memory flicked it up behind him, only for Reevsey to smash that bad boy into the corner with the outside of his boot). Best goal i've ever seen live

Beating Mansfield 4-1 (the best drubbing the i've seen of the 'failed in my time as a Spireite)

The 1-1 draw against Man City (as I brought a friend of mine who supports City and we totally outplayed them. Mainly i remember shouting right in his face)

Also the Victory over West Ham in the league cup, as the missus at the time was a Hammer. Gloating aplenty.
For Honour!! For Glory!! For Chesterfield!!!

#42 User is offline   Cosmo Kramer 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2010 - 05:15 AM

I'll add another vote for Hursty vs. Luton, I don't think that I've ever been more relieved and elated in my life. I completely lost the run of myself for a minute there...

My favourite goal for aesthetics has to be Paul Holland juggling it on the edge of the area and then smashing it in the top corner against Blackpool (I think) on a Tuesday night a few years back. It hit the net just as the words "good effort, that's a shame" left my mouth closely followed by a loud exclamation of "sh##, did you see that?!".

A bitter-sweet one was the taking back of the kop. It was a real tear-jerker of a moment for a lot of people I think. It seems almost bizzare that we are leaving it voluntarily this time. Funny how things work out!

On the tearraces, so many great recollections of pies flying overhead, etc but my most abiding memory from when I was a young 'un would have to be the bloke who used to stand up the back doing something that sounded like gargling and occasionaly treating us to a rendition of "come on town, give us a goal. where's it gonna come from? I don't know". I'm sure someone on here could name him.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!

#43 User is offline   rs1978 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2010 - 06:30 AM

View Postblueblah, on Jan 7 2010, 07:01 PM, said:

hmm a few very indifferent memories
one was a day when we beat grimsby at home and their fans were being very mardy and decided to try and take the fortress ...
yes the liverpool game here was a great night too prob one of the largest crowds of later years to be in here i think it was around 11 thousand even though we lost
the mansfield play of game was a great game
also a few great cup games in there wrexham forrest ect ect

Memories are subjective though aren't they? A lot of us will have clear memories of the obvious moments/games but some will be more personal or abstract and have little to do with what happened on the pitch. Just the same as people who will miss Saltergate more for the rituals surrounding it than the place itself and the football

#44 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:38 AM

View Postdarthspireite, on Jan 8 2010, 01:28 AM, said:

Enjoyed that free kick ( believe we were playing Oldham, but i may be corrected on this, when a player who eludes my memory flicked it up behind him, only for Reevsey to smash that bad boy into the corner with the outside of his boot). Best goal i've ever seen live

Beating Mansfield 4-1 (the best drubbing the i've seen of the 'failed in my time as a Spireite)

The 1-1 draw against Man City (as I brought a friend of mine who supports City and we totally outplayed them. Mainly i remember shouting right in his face)

Also the Victory over West Ham in the league cup, as the missus at the time was a Hammer. Gloating aplenty.

v Cambridge

#45 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:31 AM

Hurst v Luton (only time i've cried at a football match)

Then in no particular order:

Beaumont v Wrexham

The football played under Nicky Law in the first half of the ill-fated promotion season.

Lee Turnbull's overhead kick

Bruno danicng around 4 or 5 hartlepool defenders and scoring at the kop end (artistic license here but i think it was the first round of the then Coca Cola cup, we played them 3 times in 2 weeks as the first round was 2 legs back then and we'd opened the season against them in the league)

Lester's lob v Droylsden

Carling Cup Games

Tricky Trev lobbing Grobelaar

Dave Waller Hat Trick v Halifax (4-3 from 3-1 down)

Play Off Semi's (esp. Calvin Plummer)

2-0 win v Grimsby to scrape the play offs by 1 goal over Carlisle!

Non match related:

The time the ball struck the underside of the main stand roof and a section breaking loose and landing in the lap of the match sponsors wife!

Orange Nuns from Blackpool invading the pitch.

My mate streaking at a sunday league cup final and shaking hands with the ref!

Playing on the hallowed turf with such names as Moss, Newton, Waller, O'Neil, Marples etc.

Running at Jules in the same game, nutmegging him and blasting the ball high in to the kop.

Scoring the winner in a 'friendly' v the stewards after the Halifax game last match of the season, after being hit with a coin from the halifax end as we celebrated promotion on the pitch. (still have the scar)

Plus probably endless more which i can't recall right now.

#46 User is offline   Peak Fm Sport Show 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:30 AM

Hello all,

We would just like to say a big thank you so far for all of your replies so far, they have made some good and interesting reading. Because the Hurst goal v Luton is mentioned more than once by a number of different people we have actually made contact with Glynn Hurst to arrange an interview with him so he can talk about that goal and his best memories at Saltergate etc etc (he was actually having a massage at the time he answered his phone, footballers hey?!!)

We are indeed in contact with a number of different people who have links with the club, past and present and you will be able to hear the memories and thoughts of these people later on this year as Chesterfield Fc get close to saying goodbye to their home for the past 139 years.

By all means, keep the memories coming and indeed, if you have any suggestions as to who you would like to hear from about their memories of The Recreation Ground, past players, managers etc then again, feel free to tell us.

Thank you for your replies so far.

Peak Fm Sport Show - every Saturday from 2pm.

#47 User is offline   rs1978 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:04 AM

View PostPeak Fm Sport Show, on Jan 8 2010, 10:33 AM, said:

Hello all,

We would just like to say a big thank you so far for all of your replies so far, they have made some good and interesting reading. Because the Hurst goal v Luton is mentioned more than once by a number of different people we have actually made contact with Glynn Hurst to arrange an interview with him so he can talk about that goal and his best memories at Saltergate etc etc (he was actually having a massage at the time he answered his phone, footballers hey?!!)

We are indeed in contact with a number of different people who have links with the club, past and present and you will be able to hear the memories and thoughts of these people later on this year as Chesterfield Fc get close to saying goodbye to their home for the past 139 years.

By all means, keep the memories coming and indeed, if you have any suggestions as to who you would like to hear from about their memories of The Recreation Ground, past players, managers etc then again, feel free to tell us.

Thank you for your replies so far.

Peak Fm Sport Show - every Saturday from 2pm.

I would imagine that a player would be incredibly proud of being at the centre of a moment that means so much to so many - especially a lower league player that won't have international caps and major prizes to look back on at the end of their career

#48 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:12 AM

View Postrs1978, on Jan 8 2010, 11:07 AM, said:

I would imagine that a player would be incredibly proud of being at the centre of a moment that means so much to so many - especially a lower league player that won't have international caps and major prizes to look back on at the end of their career

Maybe you could link up with spireite player for the interview for the benefit of us exciles. Thanx
God I hate this league.

#49 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:19 AM

View PostDave In Footie Heaven, on Jan 8 2010, 11:15 AM, said:

Maybe you could link up with spireite player for the interview for the benefit of us exciles. Thanx

You can listen live over the interweb Dave, although that would require you being made aware up front that the interview was being transmited.

http://www.peakfm.net/

#50 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:24 AM

Remember the Hursty goal very well....one of the few games i've missed cricket for at that stage of the season!! Other half was working in a pub at the time and i remember screaming down the phone to her that we were staying up after he scored and she had to convince a few in the pub that it had happened and i wasnt talking crap as the goal hadnt come through on SSN at the time.

Wrexham game also sticks out as well. As much as the goal and the final whistle but what it led to. Pitch invasion, the walk back up Chatsworth Rd and seeing the glum faces on the Wrexham supporters buses. Remember camping outside the ground to get tickets for the semi final replay!! Was all set up for the night with supplies, chair, quilt etc with a few others when they ruined all the fun by opening the ticket office at about half 10 at night rather than the following morning!!

#51 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 08 January 2010 - 11:46 AM

View PostSammy Spireite, on Jan 8 2010, 11:22 AM, said:

You can listen live over the interweb Dave, although that would require you being made aware up front that the interview was being transmited.

http://www.peakfm.net/

Just got yourself a job then :lol:
God I hate this league.

#52 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:46 PM

View PostMark Jones, on Jan 7 2010, 10:06 PM, said:

The players name I highlighted in your post. "O'Hare" :blush:

Oops O'Hara
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#53 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:50 PM

View Postfishini, on Jan 8 2010, 08:49 PM, said:

Oops O'Hara

lol

only one vowel out but a world away in terms of ability!

#54 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:50 PM

View PostCosmo Kramer, on Jan 8 2010, 05:18 AM, said:

I'll add another vote for Hursty vs. Luton, I don't think that I've ever been more relieved and elated in my life.

Me too.
A new hope.

#55 User is offline   marlons curtains 

• Key Player

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:09 PM

For me, the Hurst goal perhaps surpasses all others, even the Cup semi final...It wasnt just the game itself, it was having the earplugs into the radio at the same time, knowing that results elsewhere mattered... we were dead and buried at half time... Grimsby one up playing 10 men.....and how it all turned around in the last 15 minutes!

Only town game ive been at where tears of relief were visible!
Posted Image

#56 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:18 PM

View Postmarlons curtains, on Jan 8 2010, 09:12 PM, said:

For me, the Hurst goal perhaps surpasses all others, even the Cup semi final...It wasnt just the game itself, it was having the earplugs into the radio at the same time, knowing that results elsewhere mattered... we were dead and buried at half time... Grimsby one up playing 10 men.....and how it all turned around in the last 15 minutes!

Only town game ive been at where tears of relief were visible!

The atmosphere was superb wasnt it. The crowd telling the team the scores as things went in our favour etc.
A new hope.

#57 User is offline   marlons curtains 

• Key Player

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:22 PM

View Postdeath, on Jan 8 2010, 10:21 PM, said:

The atmosphere was superb wasnt it. The crowd telling the team the scores as things went in our favour etc.

In hindsight it was amazing death..... in hindsight we can count it as one of the greatest days.... 120 seconds away from going down as one of the worst! A few grey hairs that day, and I wasnt the only one im sure.
Posted Image

#58 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:25 PM

View Postmarlons curtains, on Jan 8 2010, 09:25 PM, said:

In hindsight it was amazing death..... in hindsight we can count it as one of the greatest days.... 120 seconds away from going down as one of the worst! A few grey hairs that day, and I wasnt the only one im sure.

The finances at the time would have suffered. Estimated that the drop( less away fans etc) was worth £250k a year.

Staying up that year meant an awfull lot.

I wouldnt even say with hindsight, the feeling when that went in, considering the build up to it....2-1 to the tranmere etc.....quality.

I was on a high for ages after that game. I might be wrong, but didnt gates after that,ie, the following season, reach the 20 year high as well?
A new hope.

#59 Guest_Mark Jones_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:29 PM

View Postmarlons curtains, on Jan 8 2010, 09:25 PM, said:

I still have a nervous twitch from that day!

Just had a discussion with the wife and that was her moment too.

#60 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 08 January 2010 - 09:33 PM

View PostMark Jones, on Jan 8 2010, 09:32 PM, said:

I still have a nervous twitch from that day!

Just had a discussion with the wife and that was her moment too.

You need to improve :blush:
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users