• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Kitchens Rate Topic: -----

#1 Guest_Quaker_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 20 March 2023 - 01:55 PM

Weird question but it is the personal section afterall.

We have been thinking of getting a new kitchen, the one we have is over 20 years old and my good lady wants a new look. Layout wise she wants the same so I am thinking of proposing that we do a DIY paint job on the one we have.

We have been to look at new kitchens but I'm not convinced the quality is better than what we have. Our current one is solid oak with inlaid doors and not a blemish on it.

My question is, has anyone had a go at a DIY repaint and if so, how did it go? I have looked into getting a firm in Sheffield to come and do it but its not cheap, its the price of a good holiday or a decent second hand car. If we went down that route my feeling is we may as well go the whole hog and get a new kitchen.

Thoughts?

#2 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 March 2023 - 02:06 PM

Seems expensive for presumably what is a mask up and spray job?

Take a door off and have a go yourself?

My MIL has recently done ours in an antique effect chalk paint after we moved in and the previous owner had done them with a 2" brush in Gun metal grey!

They're not perfect by any stretch but they'll last us a few years 'til we can afford a new kitchen.

Also, if they carcasses are acceptable, you can buy replacement doors? or simply have the existing ones wrapped rather than sprayed?

#3 User is offline   Paragon of Virtue 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2023 - 02:30 PM

Our house has really naff 80s cabinets which were in a colour we really didn't like and a laminated finish. Until we can afford to have the whole thing replaced we cleaned with sugar soap, sanded them down, then painted over with some valspar wood paint. It's been about a year since and the cupboards still look really good, no issues with wiping down spills or anything.

Probably cost under 50 quid in total to get it all done.

#4 User is offline   Bankrobber 

• 83 goals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Arctic Sheets and Fields of Wheat

Posted 20 March 2023 - 05:01 PM

Currently having a new kitchen in at our gaff, so had the fitter in doing the new cabinets last week. You're right it's not cheap.

Worktops going in tomorrow all being well. We went for oak doors cos if we want to repaint later apparently it looks better than on the wrapped doors, if that's any help?
The greatest miscarriage of justice since my case against the producers of the Never Ending Story

#5 User is offline   dart in the crossbar 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 March 2023 - 09:40 PM

If you decide to go for it, preparation is the key (quite literally). Whilst it's expensive stuff, Zinsser have some excellent paint for priming etc. Screwfix stock it. An alternative to stripping and priming would be a coat of matt chalk paint followed by wax.

Before you start the project you might want to try to find images of the end product first to see what it looks like. Shaker style doors look great painted. Flat doors can look great too. Whilst they are available in colours, to me Canterbury doors don't look as good painted (these are doors with an arch style top in the inset panel).

If the oak doors are solid, they should come off and go back on fairly easily. Useful if you want to work on them outside etc. Dust, paint and so on.

Other options for a fairly quick refresh would be new door handles. Same bolt holes is easiest, but if you paint the old doors you could fill old bolt holes etc and drill a new one or two.

If you end up going for replacement doors, double check the sizes as new doors tend to be longer than the older style ones.

Worktop is something else altogether. If you want a new sink the expense of a new worktop might be worthwhile. Otherwise I'd replace the silicone at the back behind the sink (unless it's pristine) and then leave well alone. (Any gas disconnect & reconnect must be a Gas Safe plumber. Any non-plugged electrical change should be done by a Part P cert electrician.)

Good luck with it. Message me if you want any more info. I've dabbled with this a few times with varying success.

#6 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 21 March 2023 - 01:51 AM

View PostQuaker, on 20 March 2023 - 01:55 PM, said:

Weird question but it is the personal section afterall.

We have been thinking of getting a new kitchen, the one we have is over 20 years old and my good lady wants a new look. Layout wise she wants the same so I am thinking of proposing that we do a DIY paint job on the one we have.

We have been to look at new kitchens but I'm not convinced the quality is better than what we have. Our current one is solid oak with inlaid doors and not a blemish on it.

My question is, has anyone had a go at a DIY repaint and if so, how did it go? I have looked into getting a firm in Sheffield to come and do it but its not cheap, its the price of a good holiday or a decent second hand car. If we went down that route my feeling is we may as well go the whole hog and get a new kitchen.

Thoughts?

My dad did exactly that, and used an expensive paint that dried very hard so didn’t chip

Cost 10% of a new kitchen and looked totally different.

Spend money on the right paint and it will be worth it- buy crap paint and it wont
A new hope.

#7 Guest_Quaker_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 21 March 2023 - 08:32 AM

Excellent replies all really helpful.

Good paint is the key here which is what I will go for anyway.

We're having new worktops so not issues there.

Cheers

#8 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2023 - 03:37 PM

What amazes me is that in 20 years you havent decided that you need a new layout, or the changes in tech have changed how you use the kitchen - or even being 20 years older you dont just want something different....

In 2013, I had a new kitchen with a big 5 ring range cooker, full height separate fridge and freezer, large island with a breakfast bar, multiple cupboards and pan drawers. Probably wouldnt choose any of those things now the kids arent at home and my use of the kitchen has changed....
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#9 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 23 March 2023 - 10:18 PM

I can’t imagine a 20 year old kitchen with a diy paint job will ever look anything other than a 20 year old kitchen with a diy paint job

It was all dark wood with brass handles back then wasn’t it?
JRID

#10 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 23 April 2024 - 07:06 AM

Anyone recommend a local company for a full design, supply and install job?

#11 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 23 April 2024 - 07:39 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 23 April 2024 - 07:06 AM, said:

Anyone recommend a local company for a full design, supply and install job?

We used Kitchencraft and they did a decent job when we had a new one following an extension...even put up with the crap builder we had.

#12 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 23 April 2024 - 12:06 PM

That was the one place I went to a couple of years ago when I wasn't first thinking about it (then decided to move and then binned that idea) and a quick quote I got seemed massively OTT.

Perhaps I should go back and then get a couple of others.

I know I'll pay for it but I just want to pay for the whole lot to be done and sorted through one contact.

This post has been edited by Westbars Spireite: 23 April 2024 - 12:07 PM

#13 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 23 April 2024 - 12:40 PM

Chesterfield Kitchen Co on West Bars is owned by a massive town fan and lounge regular, Chris Hyman.

Get him talking about Town and you'll be well away!

#14 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 23 April 2024 - 12:46 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 23 April 2024 - 12:06 PM, said:

That was the one place I went to a couple of years ago when I wasn't first thinking about it (then decided to move and then binned that idea) and a quick quote I got seemed massively OTT.

Perhaps I should go back and then get a couple of others.

I know I'll pay for it but I just want to pay for the whole lot to be done and sorted through one contact.

They sorted it all for us from design through to fitting. Ours wasnt cheap but it was quite big plus we had a fancy induction hob with built in extractor and a boiling water tap although that was ex display and a lot cheaper than it should have been. They also knocked us a chunk off if we disposed of the cardboard etc ourselves...then took it anyway. We mainly went there because my mother in law had used them a couple of times and liked them. There are probably some cheaper options but they did a good job for us.

#15 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 23 April 2024 - 03:32 PM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 23 April 2024 - 12:40 PM, said:

Chesterfield Kitchen Co on West Bars is owned by a massive town fan and lounge regular, Chris Hyman.

Get him talking about Town and you'll be well away!

Drove past yesterday and was wondering about that place. Is he any good though? Ha.

This post has been edited by Westbars Spireite: 23 April 2024 - 03:34 PM

#16 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2024 - 06:08 PM

I used Dean Reece (07967 382665) - good job, reliable, no fancy shops or display places, he will recommend some stuff or pick your own and he will install it. Also had him back to do the bathroom and my daughter will probably have him to do the utility and ensuite now she has the house...

https://deanreece.co.uk/
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#17 User is offline   Blue5 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2024 - 09:06 PM

A couple of family members have used Dean Reece.

Although I haven't used him, I have heard some excellent feedback about Scott Innes (https://www.facebook...00044762723996/).

#18 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 23 April 2024 - 10:05 PM

Thanks gents.

#19 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tarn, cycling.

Posted 23 April 2024 - 10:21 PM

Westbars Spireite, on 23 April 2024 - 10:05 PM, said:

Thanks gents.

RF Installations. Did my garage units (kitchen). Very good quality at the fraction of a cost of my expensive kitchen!!
"Can't change or choose your football club. Sorry son"

#20 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 24 April 2024 - 03:37 AM

Did my own, its not hard
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)