• You cannot reply to this topic

Centre Half

#21 User is offline   Mac's Back 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 March 2024 - 11:26 AM

View PostRoussa spireite, on 17 March 2024 - 10:24 AM, said:

But like someone else said Frecks could be a good option at centre back if we can get him

If we did, he wouldn't partner JG as they're both left sided. Thankfully there are more right-sided CHs around and that's what I'd expect to see through the door with Palmer being released.
We're on our way

#22 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 11:42 AM

View Postdtp, on 17 March 2024 - 11:16 AM, said:

Middle of March and we already have rumours, eh!

Whilst I know they will be from a reliable source with close connections to the club just remind me as to what the date is that players can sign for other clubs when we are in the EFL.

They can negotiate after January if their contract is up at the end of the season. Doyle of course signed for us well before the season ended.

#23 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 17 March 2024 - 11:53 AM

Toby malarky ex Altrincham now Grimsby solid player we were in for him before ,conn Clarke would do but would like a big mobile forrad IE tom eaves

#24 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 02:34 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 17 March 2024 - 11:42 AM, said:

They can negotiate after January if their contract is up at the end of the season. Doyle of course signed for us well before the season ended.

But, until a certain time, possibly 30th June, can they not only sign a pre-contract agreement?

And, if so, from past experience haven’t we suffered at the hands of such agreements?

#25 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 17 March 2024 - 03:59 PM

View Postdtp, on 17 March 2024 - 02:34 PM, said:

But, until a certain time, possibly 30th June, can they not only sign a pre-contract agreement?

And, if so, from past experience haven’t we suffered at the hands of such agreements?

We suffered once but technically I think we could have made them sign it’s just we decided not to stick with a player who didn’t want to be with us. Lewis someone wasn’t it that I think ended up at Wycombe.

Flip side Eoin Doyle signed a pre contract and that worked out ok.

Also officially you can only start talks in the last 6 months of your contract if the team you are talking to is in another country. You can’t start talks with teams in the same country until the last month of your contract. All explained here :-
https://www.goal.com...d41e839dacbcd34

This post has been edited by JonB: 17 March 2024 - 04:01 PM

#26 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 17 March 2024 - 04:03 PM

I think we'll see Freckleton back here next season, either on loan or as our player. He's definitely bought into Chesterfield FC, and was there yesterday to support his teammates. A fast ball playing centre back is like gold, but a left sided fast ball playing centre back is platinum.

#27 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 17 March 2024 - 04:55 PM

View PostOsborne again, on 17 March 2024 - 04:03 PM, said:

I think we'll see Freckleton back here next season, either on loan or as our player. He's definitely bought into Chesterfield FC, and was there yesterday to support his teammates. A fast ball playing centre back is like gold, but a left sided fast ball playing centre back is platinum.

It’s strange isn’t it, Freckleton hardly covered himself in glory, especially in his early days here, but most of us, myself included, see a player in there and are happy to give him that chance and would gladly have him back next season. Cooks ethos rubbing off on us supporters?
East stand second class citizen.

#28 User is offline   HaslandBlue58 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC,Travel,Real Ale,Music

Posted 17 March 2024 - 05:22 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 17 March 2024 - 04:55 PM, said:

It’s strange isn’t it, Freckleton hardly covered himself in glory, especially in his early days here, but most of us, myself included, see a player in there and are happy to give him that chance and would gladly have him back next season. Cooks ethos rubbing off on us supporters?

I would say it was during the Grimes suspension when Freckleton started to show what he was capable of.

#29 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 05:32 PM

View Postwarfey is a spireite, on 17 March 2024 - 11:53 AM, said:

Toby malarky ex Altrincham now Grimsby solid player we were in for him before ,conn Clarke would do but would like a big mobile forrad IE tom eaves

Malarkey didn’t achieve much at Rochdale and Grimsby are hardly pulling up any trees. I think we have moved on from him.

I’ve liked what I’ve seen of Conn-Clarke but he would cost a fee and I do wonder why Fleetwood let him go.

#30 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 17 March 2024 - 05:40 PM

View Postdtp, on 17 March 2024 - 05:32 PM, said:

I’ve liked what I’ve seen of Conn-Clarke but he would cost a fee and I do wonder why Fleetwood let him go.

He couldn’t have been any trouble at Fleetwood, he was almost permanently out on loan, doing a fine job at Alty on loan before eventually joining them permanently.
As you say, any transfer would involve a fee, which, in view of his performances this season, would be way beyond our pockets.

#31 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 07:10 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 17 March 2024 - 04:55 PM, said:

Yes, he's the type of player we need to invest time in, the same goes for Hobson.
Once the obese one starts warbling, I'd like to see Berry given a go up front, trying to get on the end of some through balls. You never know, he could be our other option up top.

#32 User is offline   tomjoad 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bruce Springsteen Southside Counting Crows Abbot ale and LMS no 8s!

Posted 17 March 2024 - 07:30 PM

View Postdtp, on 17 March 2024 - 11:16 AM, said:

Middle of March and we already have rumours, eh!

Whilst I know they will be from a reliable source with close connections to the club just remind me as to what the date is that players can sign for other clubs when we are in the EFL.

Pre contract, verbal contract?
I only no what I'm told.Was told Saturdays line up early Friday and didn't believe it.
Several sources suggest targets identified with hints that one has signed something!
May be untrue but rumours are rumours

Lad from Macclesfield who replaced Berry mentioned.No names for the centre half's.

Lad from Macclesfield who replaced Berry mentioned.No names for the centre half's.

#33 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 08:40 PM

View Posttomjoad, on 17 March 2024 - 07:30 PM, said:

Pre contract, verbal contract?
I only no what I'm told.Was told Saturdays line up early Friday and didn't believe it.
Several sources suggest targets identified with hints that one has signed something!
May be untrue but rumours are rumours

I would think it is possible to sign players from lower down the pyramid than the EFL because in some cases their contracts expire earlier than 30th June with their existing clubs.

#34 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 08:50 PM

View PostOsborne again, on 17 March 2024 - 07:10 PM, said:

Once the obese one starts warbling, I'd like to see Berry given a go up front, trying to get on the end of some through balls. You never know, he could be our other option up top.

To be honest, I’ve seen nothing in Berry’s performances which suggest to me he can play in the “one” up front role.

I’m still seeing him looking a little lost when out of possession and failing to make runs in anticipation of receiving the ball. To play up front down the middle you have to be prepared to do a lot of running off the ball to stretch defenders and create the spaces into which you want the ball played. Currently, Berry comes alive from static positions out wide after he’s received the ball to his feet. I’m quite confident he will benefit from a proper pre-season and am hopeful he will kick on from that.

#35 User is offline   turrhall 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 09:36 PM

View Postdtp, on 17 March 2024 - 08:50 PM, said:

To be honest, I’ve seen nothing in Berry’s performances which suggest to me he can play in the “one” up front role.

I’m still seeing him looking a little lost when out of possession and failing to make runs in anticipation of receiving the ball. To play up front down the middle you have to be prepared to do a lot of running off the ball to stretch defenders and create the spaces into which you want the ball played. Currently, Berry comes alive from static positions out wide after he’s received the ball to his feet. I’m quite confident he will benefit from a proper pre-season and am hopeful he will kick on from that.

For me, whilst Berry has the attributes to play up front, I don't think he's big or strong enough to do it on his own - and as Cook favours 1 striker, he won't play there regularly

#36 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 17 March 2024 - 09:51 PM

View Postturrhall, on 17 March 2024 - 09:36 PM, said:

For me, whilst Berry has the attributes to play up front, I don't think he's big or strong enough to do it on his own - and as Cook favours 1 striker, he won't play there regularly

I wouldn't say Doyle was big or strong, but like Berry, he was fast, I'm sure we could use JB in a similar role to Doyle
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#37 User is offline   Benno Spire 

• Prediction Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Working hard and playing hard

Posted 17 March 2024 - 09:56 PM

Will we see a return of Liam Cooper and Samy Morsy
Have passport will travel

#38 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 17 March 2024 - 10:02 PM

View PostBenno Spire, on 17 March 2024 - 09:56 PM, said:

Would love it ( keegan stylie) but maybe still out of our price range yet.
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#39 User is offline   Retfordspireite 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 10:19 PM

View PostBenno Spire, on 17 March 2024 - 09:56 PM, said:

Cooper recently had some bad injuries. Would be a risk.

#40 User is online   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Zzz

Posted 17 March 2024 - 10:28 PM

View PostRetfordspireite, on 17 March 2024 - 10:19 PM, said:

Cooper recently had some bad injuries. Would be a risk.

Wasn't Evatt out for about a year before he came back to us?
Here we go again!

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users