Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Man Of The Match Mystery - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Man Of The Match Mystery Is it drawn out of a hat!!

#1 User is offline   Stoneyspireite 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:07 PM

O'Neil MOM! Both full backs today poor. O'Neil is gash I'm afraid. OK touch but soooo slow and poor defensively. He has no move to beat a player and cannot accelerate past a full back to cross on attacking zones. Donahue is not a full back! Liddle looks steady and kept it well.
Unlucky today as external factors including the goal decision and clever Peterborough time wasting antics, best played out by their irritating keeper, left us just short. Boly was lively and our new centre half was steady. Lots of games to go. Let's not panic until 10 to go. Please can we ditch the' I am sailing....' We are land locked, not happy at the moment and in need of something more inspiring than a funeral march!!

#2 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:15 PM

The problem with the MOM award is that it is basicly picked by the match day sponsors and their guests

As most of them are probably not regulars and/or know little about football then the award normally goes to a goalscorer

As we did not have one today then yes it probably was drawn out of a hat :windup

#3 User is offline   Spire-Heights 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:30 PM

I thought O'Neil had a good second half.

Who should have got Motm, because I'm struggling. New lad at CB did ok.

This post has been edited by Spire-Heights: 06 February 2016 - 07:35 PM

Show class, have pride, and display character.If you do, winning takes care of itself.

#4 User is offline   Snowflake McBedwetter 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:31 PM

View PostStoneyspireite, on 06 February 2016 - 07:07 PM, said:

O'Neil MOM! Both full backs today poor. O'Neil is gash I'm afraid. OK touch but soooo slow and poor defensively. He has no move to beat a player and cannot accelerate past a full back to cross on attacking zones. Donahue is not a full back! Liddle looks steady and kept it well.
Unlucky today as external factors including the goal decision and clever Peterborough time wasting antics, best played out by their irritating keeper, left us just short. Boly was lively and our new centre half was steady. Lots of games to go. Let's not panic until 10 to go. Please can we ditch the' I am sailing....' We are land locked, not happy at the moment and in need of something more inspiring than a funeral march!!

I think that's because right back isn't his position.

#5 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:35 PM

View PostSpire-Heights, on 06 February 2016 - 07:30 PM, said:

I thought O'Neil had a good second half.

Well, I sit in the East Stand, not with the sponsors etc, but my choice for MOM was O'Neil and I wasn't surprised at him getting it at all.

#6 User is offline   RichThomps1 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:53 PM

Nothing wrong with O'Neil today. Definitely deserved.

#7 User is offline   Spired 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:55 PM

i was not surprised O'Neil got it either it was him or Novak who worked his bottom off without anyone on his wavelength to link with

O'Neil really neshed nothing and - i have to say when Dan Jones comes back i'd like to see Talbot out of the starting 11 he's not good enough. Donohue looks like he has something about him until he has to play the forward game. thats lacking.

If O'Neill and Jones were our fullbacks i'd be content.

This post has been edited by Spired: 06 February 2016 - 07:56 PM

#8 User is offline   Middle East 

• Total Legend..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Its fair to say i have a passing interest in chesterfield fc!

Posted 06 February 2016 - 07:58 PM

None of them but if you put a gun to my head (which is coincidentally how I feel tonight).....Novak!

This post has been edited by Middle East: 06 February 2016 - 08:09 PM

BRITISH BY BIRTH - ENGLISH BY THE GRACE OF GOD

#9 User is offline   Stoneyspireite 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:13 PM

Of course, we all have differing opinions as fans. I look at players objectively and consider how they impact on a game. Having no speed, limited courage and zero attacking sense is not good enough for us. Settling for sub standard premier league cast offs will take no where. I agree he is not a full back, but cannot see him impacting on a game in any position. Sorry to the O'Neil admirers - just my opinion!

#10 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:17 PM

View Postdtp, on 06 February 2016 - 07:35 PM, said:

Well, I sit in the East Stand, not with the sponsors etc, but my choice for MOM was O'Neil and I wasn't surprised at him getting it at all.

Best player on the pitch for us today, although that's probably not a badge of honour.
East stand second class citizen.

#11 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:25 PM

I laughed (even though I shouldn't) when the big gob behind shouted 'he's so shit I forgot he was playing'.

#12 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:56 PM

View PostStoneyspireite, on 06 February 2016 - 08:13 PM, said:

Of course, we all have differing opinions as fans. I look at players objectively and consider how they impact on a game. Having no speed, limited courage and zero attacking sense is not good enough for us. Settling for sub standard premier league cast offs will take no where. I agree he is not a full back, but cannot see him impacting on a game in any position. Sorry to the O'Neil admirers - just my opinion!

So you are assessing players on the basis of your general opinion of their attributes, or lack of, and not on their actual performance on the day.

In the long run you may not wrong but going to matches with preconceived ideas about certain players suggests you would never consider them for MOM based on those ideas rather than the one off occasion which MOM is.

Surely a player can have a MOM game but not necessarily fit into your criteria as "being good enough".

Similarly, it's possible a player who is "good enough" playing well all season but never actually turning in a one off MOM game.

For the record I think O'Neil is improving, gradually getting used to his role as a RB, and is currently the best RB at the club - would I like better? Yes, but there are 10 other positions I would like better as well - particularly LB whether or not Jones is fully fit.

#13 User is offline   spireitewolf 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:59 PM

RichThomps1 said:

1454788381[/url]' post='1183502']
Nothing wrong with O'Neil today. Definitely deserved.

Ye agreed

#14 User is offline   Stoneyspireite 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:08 PM

As stated earlier - all about opinions. Fair play to you for yours, my MOM today Novak. O'Neil, in my opinion, performed as well as he could considering his limitations. In my opinion this doesn't mean he had a good game.

This post has been edited by Stoneyspireite: 06 February 2016 - 09:09 PM

#15 User is offline   Spire-Heights 

• Legend

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:15 PM

View PostStoneyspireite, on 06 February 2016 - 09:08 PM, said:

As stated earlier - all about opinions. Fair play to you for yours, my MOM today Novak. O'Neil, in my opinion, performed as well as he could considering his limitations. In my opinion this doesn't mean he had a good game.

A good second half., including, Twice stopped them getting in and then pushed us forward on the attack. He also come close to scoring, just wide of the post from 20 yards.
Show class, have pride, and display character.If you do, winning takes care of itself.

#16 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:18 PM

I agree that O'Neill doesn't seem to have any outstanding attributes but he's doing a job I guess. He started off poorly but has settled to an extent. He's nowt special.

#17 Guest_Dema Reborn_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:31 PM

View Postdtp, on 06 February 2016 - 07:35 PM, said:

Same here he stood out a country mile.....my motm too...

#18 User is offline   Spireite82 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:31 PM

Novak my man of the match today. He seemed up for it from the start. IMO O'Neil looks like he is running in treacle; he is so un-dynamic for a pro football. IMO he doesn't commit and allows players time on the ball because if he gets too close he knows he can't keep up..I don't think he was particularly bad today but he isn't good enough. My guess is his lack of pace and athleticism is the reason he was released; he might have a good touch and even a good footballing brain, but so do many non league players...Boli on the other hand has a bad touch and a 'requires improvement' footballing brain but is athletic and has dynamic power and speed are impressive - therefore he has more potential IMO.

Might be worth seeing O'Neil in midfield but not at full back. He's simply not good enough. Yet another poor signing...

This post has been edited by Spireite82: 06 February 2016 - 09:33 PM

#19 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:34 PM

View Postwhittman, on 06 February 2016 - 07:15 PM, said:

The problem with the MOM award is that it is basicly picked by the match day sponsors and their guests

As most of them are probably not regulars and/or know little about football then the award normally goes to a goalscorer

As we did not have one today then yes it probably was drawn out of a hat :windup

I though it was now by text vote, using the number on the new scoreboard, although the sponsors still have one too

#20 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 07 February 2016 - 05:00 AM

View PostMr Mercury, on 06 February 2016 - 08:17 PM, said:

Best player on the pitch for us today, although that's probably not a badge of honour.

Ariyibi did more in his cameo tbh than most of the others all day. He's either unplayable or pants with nowhere in between

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users