• You cannot reply to this topic

Staveley Works old footage - better than footy

#21 User is offline   ELTON 2020 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 November 2015 - 09:05 PM

View Postwhittman, on 28 November 2015 - 07:37 PM, said:

My father worked in the sand spun dept and then in the metal spun when that closed

He took early retirement in 1981 just before the metal spun closed I think

Does that explain the presence of sand down Bluebank lock right up to Hollingwood - it's like sand dunes all over the place!

#22 User is online   fishini 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:11 PM

View PostElton John 1866, on 28 November 2015 - 01:51 PM, said:

Thats the one
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#23 User is offline   ELTON 2020 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:24 PM

View Postfishini, on 29 November 2015 - 07:11 PM, said:

Thats the one

Interesting photos from 1973 v now all along the canal .

https://sites.google...sterfield-canal

#24 User is online   fishini 

• Legend

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:47 PM

View PostElton John 1866, on 29 November 2015 - 07:24 PM, said:

Interesting photos from 1973 v now all along the canal .

https://sites.google...sterfield-canal

Borrow Hill named after George Barrow who started the iron works in the first instance. He lived in Ringwood Hall. The Hall that housed the Great Exhibition or The Crystal Palace Exhibition of 1851 (I think). Was Built of 4000 ton of cast girders which were all produced in the foundries of Staveley Works and in only 3 months. Can anyone remember the Canal Tavern? You could get to from the metal spun plant over the canal on a makeshift bridge and was used quiet well on your snap break on afters.
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#25 User is offline   ELTON 2020 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:50 PM

View Postfishini, on 29 November 2015 - 07:47 PM, said:

Borrow Hill named after George Barrow who started the iron works in the first instance. He lived in Ringwood Hall. The Hall that housed the Great Exhibition or The Crystal Palace Exhibition of 1851 (I think). Was Built of 4000 ton of cast girders which were all produced in the foundries of Staveley Works and in only 3 months. Can anyone remember the Canal Tavern? You could get to from the metal spun plant over the canal on a makeshift bridge and was used quiet well on your snap break on afters.

I' interested in Bilby Lane Bridge - still there. about 1/2 mile away from Hollingwood. All the sand in that area points to waste sand from the works? Can't think how else it got there. Was the railway under the bridge around when you were there -?

#26 User is online   fishini 

• Legend

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:04 PM

View PostElton John 1866, on 29 November 2015 - 07:50 PM, said:

I' interested in Bilby Lane Bridge - still there. about 1/2 mile away from Hollingwood. All the sand in that area points to waste sand from the works? Can't think how else it got there. Was the railway under the bridge around when you were there -?

Can't remember it sorry. The sand was from the foundries. They then discovered how to mix the sand with chemicals, inject it with CO2 to harden it off. When the cast was made the sand went to the sand mills ground down, cleaned and recycled. This process negated a lot of sand being dumped.
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#27 User is offline   Between The Sticks 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:31 PM

The attendance at the opening of the sports ground was closer to 16,000 rather than the 60,000 in the commentary. As well as McDonald-Bailey being there, also in attendance were Reg Harris and Beryl Burton two world champion cyclists. Show Jumping also featured along with the White Helmets (a motorcycle display team). The groundsman was the head groundsman recruited from Wembley Stadium (increase in wages and a company house given to him). The football pitch was brilliant but very tiring, especially for the opposition, and the number of knee injuries were numberless. Pity it was let go once the company became Stanton & Staveley Ltd. All the same great times were had there.

#28 User is online   fishini 

• Legend

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:50 PM

View PostBetween The Sticks, on 15 December 2015 - 06:31 PM, said:

The attendance at the opening of the sports ground was closer to 16,000 rather than the 60,000 in the commentary. As well as McDonald-Bailey being there, also in attendance were Reg Harris and Beryl Burton two world champion cyclists. Show Jumping also featured along with the White Helmets (a motorcycle display team). The groundsman was the head groundsman recruited from Wembley Stadium (increase in wages and a company house given to him). The football pitch was brilliant but very tiring, especially for the opposition, and the number of knee injuries were numberless. Pity it was let go once the company became Stanton & Staveley Ltd. All the same great times were had there.

The company known as Staveley Iron and Chemical Co or known locally as the Devonshire Works was taken over by Stewarts and Lloyds in 1960 it was merged with Stanton works of Ilkeston and became Stanton and Staveley Ltd. The company ceased to be a stand alone company in 1967 when it became part of the nationalized British Steel Cooperation. The Duke of Devonshire took a penny for every ton of iron and coal produced by the company as the land it was built on belonged to him. Which it still does
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#29 User is offline   s43spire 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:05 PM

View PostElton John 1866, on 29 November 2015 - 07:50 PM, said:

I remember when I were a kid we used to have a den under the bridge early seventies Carnt remember too much about it but don't remember any tracks also about 100 yards away on the Whittington side of the lane there was a shaft not to sure how deep or what it's purpose was but it was worked daily was also guarded by dogs 24/7 upto the lane was one massive stockyard for the works

A bit more digging and apparently the old great central railway ran under the bridge obviously before the tip as you can still see the old line at the other side of the tip it basically followed the canal from hollingwood viaduct bilby bridge new bridge lane bridge then towards sainsburys all these bridges can be seen if you walk from hollingwood to sainsburys at Whitt moor

This post has been edited by s43spire: 15 December 2015 - 11:28 PM

#30 User is offline   ELTON 2020 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2015 - 09:00 PM

View Posts43spire, on 15 December 2015 - 11:05 PM, said:

I remember when I were a kid we used to have a den under the bridge early seventies Carnt remember too much about it but don't remember any tracks also about 100 yards away on the Whittington side of the lane there was a shaft not to sure how deep or what it's purpose was but it was worked daily was also guarded by dogs 24/7 upto the lane was one massive stockyard for the works

A bit more digging and apparently the old great central railway ran under the bridge obviously before the tip as you can still see the old line at the other side of the tip it basically followed the canal from hollingwood viaduct bilby bridge new bridge lane bridge then towards sainsburys all these bridges can be seen if you walk from hollingwood to sainsburys at Whitt moor

Fascinating ( more than the footy)

Here is the bridge in 1994. Looks a bit bleak. What was it like round here in 71. Must have been an embankment for the railway. Looks like it had been filled in. If you look carefully behind the bridge, on enlargement - maybe a shaft?

http://www.pictureth...=zoom&id=124490

Here is "opposite the bridge" taken from the one on the canal. Large pile of sand banked up

https://www.google.c...aJZLaCTRKREM%3A

This post has been edited by Elton John 1866: 16 December 2015 - 09:03 PM

#31 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:00 PM

View PostBetween The Sticks, on 15 December 2015 - 06:31 PM, said:

I remember the groundsman surname as Chapman. A big surly man who protected his pitches with great vigour

we were regularly chased off Clarkes field when we sneaked on as kids to play football from Whittington.He used to come down in his landrover

from the white bungalow just inside the sports grounds main entrance

This post has been edited by whittman: 16 December 2015 - 10:03 PM

#32 User is online   fishini 

• Legend

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:05 PM

View PostElton John 1866, on 16 December 2015 - 09:00 PM, said:

Here is the bridge in 1994. Looks a bit bleak. What was it like round here in 71. Must have been an embankment for the railway. Looks like it had been filled in. If you look carefully behind the bridge, on enlargement - maybe a shaft?

Here is "opposite the bridge" taken from the one on the canal. Large pile of sand banked up

There were 3 pits within the staveley works boundary. The Dowell, Seymour and Campbell galleries. The Dowell Colliery caught fire and the Chesterfield canal was diverted down the shaft to extinguish the fire.
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#33 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:16 PM

Close to this bridge on the Brimington side of the canal is an area of ground reputed to be the burial ground of the Black Death victims

when the plague hit Brimington

It is interesting to note when this area was outcropped in the 1970s this small copse was reportedly left untouched by the diggers

This post has been edited by whittman: 16 December 2015 - 10:21 PM

#34 User is offline   s43spire 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:17 PM

Yes there was an embankment on both sides of the bridge there has been a lot of landscaping and earth moving done and filling in over the years and the river rother has been diverted as well that's about 200 yards to the right of the bridge as viewed on this pic the shaft was further over to the right of this picture as viewed, not sure what that is in the pic I think it's a large pipe there were a lot of them hanging around I'll nip down tomorrow and have a look if it's still there.

The one from the canal bridge you can see as always been there as far as I can remember but not as high as it is now that was also landscaped along with the rest of the area the bridge over the canal has also been rebuilt originally early seventies it was just a large rickety piece of concrete.

#35 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:28 PM

View Posts43spire, on 16 December 2015 - 10:17 PM, said:

Yes there was an embankment on both sides of the bridge there has been a lot of landscaping and earth moving done and filling in over the years and the river rother has been diverted as well that's about 200 yards to the right of the bridge as viewed on this pic the shaft was further over to the right of this picture as viewed, not sure what that is in the pic I think it's a large pipe there were a lot of them hanging around I'll nip down tomorrow and have a look if it's still there.

The one from the canal bridge you can see as always been there as far as I can remember but not as high as it is now that was also landscaped along with the rest of the area the bridge over the canal has also been rebuilt originally early seventies it was just a large rickety piece of concrete.

I remember being on that bridge in the early 60s trainspotting.

You could also see the still running midland freight line from there and likewise people on the old New Whittington station platform could see the Great Central line so we covered both lines and swapped numbers later

Happy days

#36 User is offline   ELTON 2020 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:34 PM

View Posts43spire, on 16 December 2015 - 10:17 PM, said:

Thanks. Might go down this weekend - at 3pm for a look.

#37 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:39 PM

View PostElton John 1866, on 16 December 2015 - 10:34 PM, said:

Thanks. Might go down this weekend - at 3pm for a look.

Sunday obviously :windup

#38 User is offline   ELTON 2020 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:40 PM

View Postwhittman, on 16 December 2015 - 10:28 PM, said:

I remember being on that bridge in the early 60s trainspotting.

You could also see the still running midland freight line from there and likewise people on the old New Whittington station platform could see the Great Central line so we covered both lines and swapped numbers later

Happy days

Were there any buildings round there?
What was the land round there used for? I remember dumper trucks (1980 ish) travelling along there from the works.
As a part time industrial archaeologist(since saunders arrived) to fill the bad days, I took a walk a few months ago and there were some brick building remains. I thonk passenger traffic stopped around 1957 ish on the central line too. There's practically no reminders apart from all the bridges from there back to Sainsburys.

#39 User is offline   newbold ken 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:57 PM

View PostElton John 1866, on 16 December 2015 - 10:40 PM, said:

Were there any buildings round there?
What was the land round there used for? I remember dumper trucks (1980 ish) travelling along there from the works.
As a part time industrial archaeologist(since saunders arrived) to fill the bad days, I took a walk a few months ago and there were some brick building remains. I thonk passenger traffic stopped around 1957 ish on the central line too. There's practically no reminders apart from all the bridges from there back to Sainsburys.

Closed to passenger trains in 1963 - I aw the last one pass from new bridge lane bridge .there is actually some old station buildings at Brimington now being used for industrial use opposite side of road from mill pub

#40 User is offline   ELTON 2020 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:59 PM

View Postfishini, on 16 December 2015 - 10:05 PM, said:

There were 3 pits within the staveley works boundary. The Dowell, Seymour and Campbell galleries. The Dowell Colliery caught fire and the Chesterfield canal was diverted down the shaft to extinguish the fire.

Fascinating!

D0 well here:

http://johndoxey.100...ood/do_well.htm

Link to Campbell Colliery - now the old Chesterfield Staveley brick works. Also CHECK FOR THE NAME OF A FORMER CHESTERFIELD FC MANAGER ON ONE OF THE BRICKS!!

http://eastmidlandsn...brickworks.html

Richard Barrow -
http://www.bbc.co.uk...ron-co-18461394

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users