• You cannot reply to this topic

New Ceo

#141 User is offline   spireitenag 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 October 2017 - 07:43 PM

View Postplannerj, on 05 October 2017 - 06:14 PM, said:

Doesn't sound like you're doing any such thing to me. You identify your perceived three negatives but don't mention a single postitive. As someone with your extensive football connections will know, he was very highly regarded at Derby County. But let's not let that interfere with sinicism! Any appointment that takes AC away from mainstream decisions is a very, very big plus for me, as is Dunford's commitment to engage regularly with supporters. I would have presumed that you will welcome that and do your best to participate.

I think anyone who actually believes AC will not still be the decision maker is being very naïve.

As for engaging with the fans,it remains to be seen whether this is any more than merely paying lip service ?

#142 User is offline   Blue5 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:16 PM

View Postspireitenag, on 05 October 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

I think anyone who actually believes AC will not still be the decision maker is being very naïve.

As for engaging with the fans,it remains to be seen whether this is any more than merely paying lip service ?

If the new man does not want to get involved in historic issues which no doubt involve those he will be reporting to and working with, he will never understand why the club finds itself in the position that it does.

#143 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 October 2017 - 08:35 PM

View PostBlue5, on 05 October 2017 - 08:16 PM, said:

If the new man does not want to get involved in historic issues which no doubt involve those he will be reporting to and working with, he will never understand why the club finds itself in the position that it does.

Carson saying we are imploding etc new bloke saying hes leaving historical issues to others to sort out. I wish someone would actually say who or what they are trying to sort out.

#144 User is offline   oldgoat 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 October 2017 - 12:11 AM

View Postmoondog, on 05 October 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

looks like he smokes / had too much sun or both ,

cant believe he is only 5 year's older than me !

#145 User is offline   Blue5 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 October 2017 - 08:11 AM

I am pretty certain that Mike Dunford was the Everton Chief Exec who owned shares in a football agency which represented a number of Everton players at the time including Wayne Rooney. The story goes, the first Bill Kenwright knew about his CEO's shareholding was when a supporter raised the subject at one of Everton's Annual General Meetings.

#146 User is offline   Albert Holmes Slides In 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:50 AM

If you are interested in Michael Dunford our new CEO ..... Following the 1971 cup tie between Derby and Wolves a seventeen year old Michael Dunford was given keys by his boss the Club Secretary and told under no circumstances to give them to anybody at all. It was apparently common practice at Derby to leave thousands of pounds about the place even in waste paper bins .......

The man who demanded the keys to gain access to where the money was ....... was Brian Clough. At just 17 Mr Dunford had the guts to stand up to him and refuse. Clough sacked him on the spot. He was reinstated the next day by the Club Secretary after his dad, a Special Constable, complained to the club.

If he had the guts to stand up to Brian Clough at 17 I think he'll do for me and Mr Carson and Mr Allen might be surprised to find they have found a man with a bit more character than they imagined.

Would any of us "keyboard warriors" have had the guts to refuse Brian Clough when we were teenagers?

The source of this is a biography of Clough - Google Michael Dunford Biography ... about five down ......

This post has been edited by Albert Holmes Slides In: 06 October 2017 - 11:17 AM

#147 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 06 October 2017 - 11:38 AM

View PostAlbert Holmes Slides In, on 06 October 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:

If you are interested in Michael Dunford our new CEO ..... Following the 1971 cup tie between Derby and Wolves a seventeen year old Michael Dunford was given keys by his boss the Club Secretary and told under no circumstances to give them to anybody at all. It was apparently common practice at Derby to leave thousands of pounds about the place even in waste paper bins .......

The man who demanded the keys to gain access to where the money was ....... was Brian Clough. At just 17 Mr Dunford had the guts to stand up to him and refuse. Clough sacked him on the spot. He was reinstated the next day by the Club Secretary after his dad, a Special Constable, complained to the club.

If he had the guts to stand up to Brian Clough at 17 I think he'll do for me and Mr Carson and Mr Allen might be surprised to find they have found a man with a bit more character than they imagined.

Would any of us "keyboard warriors" have had the guts to refuse Brian Clough when we were teenagers?

The source of this is a biography of Clough - Google Michael Dunford Biography ... about five down ......

I'd have had the guts to stand up to Clough when I was a teenager , but sadly by that time he had pickled himself.
These go to eleven.

#148 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 06 October 2017 - 11:42 AM

View Postmoondog, on 05 October 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

I think his grandkids are named Vera, Chuck and Dave.
These go to eleven.

#149 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 06 October 2017 - 12:10 PM

The amount of cash floating around Derby in the early 70s must have been staggering. Gates of up and over 40k with the majority paying on the turnstiles.

#150 User is offline   Looker-on 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 October 2017 - 12:48 PM

It demonstrates a certain amount of character, for sure, but perhaps it is important to consider that Mr Clough, Derby Manager, legendary intimidating bloke, was not his employer. Mr Allen and Mr Carson are his employers, and standing up to them won't be in the job description.
It's nice to be able to Trust again.

#151 User is offline   Albert Holmes Slides In 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 06 October 2017 - 02:49 PM

View PostLooker-on, on 06 October 2017 - 12:48 PM, said:

It demonstrates a certain amount of character, for sure, but perhaps it is important to consider that Mr Clough, Derby Manager, legendary intimidating bloke, was not his employer. Mr Allen and Mr Carson are his employers, and standing up to them won't be in the job description.

At seventeen I doubt you'd know if Brian Clough had the right to sack you. I think you'd probably have assumed he could do whatever he liked.

Being near the end of his career, unless Mr Dunford's in desperate financial straits (and he talks about the nice lifestyle he has left behind in Devon), might have both the bottle and experience of the decidedly criminal in Birmingham to stand up and be counted. Being brought up by a special constable and not a bent sergeant in the Met might be a good thing too.

#152 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 06 October 2017 - 03:33 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 06 October 2017 - 12:10 PM, said:

The amount of cash floating around Derby in the early 70s must have been staggering. Gates of up and over 40k with the majority paying on the turnstiles.

I remember doing the gate for the semi final replays. There must have been 400 grand in notes at Saltergate that night. Heard tale that the head gateman took it to the bank later that morning in a cardboard box in his car.
Guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

#153 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:14 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 06 October 2017 - 12:10 PM, said:

Yes but it probably cost around thruppence for a family of six.. :lol:
East stand second class citizen.

#154 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 06 October 2017 - 04:53 PM

View PostBlue5, on 06 October 2017 - 08:11 AM, said:

I am pretty certain that Mike Dunford was the Everton Chief Exec who owned shares in a football agency which represented a number of Everton players at the time including Wayne Rooney. The story goes, the first Bill Kenwright knew about his CEO's shareholding was when a supporter raised the subject at one of Everton's Annual General Meetings.

What was the legal position at the time?

The first thing Mr Dunford should do is reinstate the 50-50. Any outsider coming will be mystified at the notion of a club running a lottery which has nil benefit. He might also question which genius thought of the idea and why.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#155 User is offline   Forever a Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 October 2017 - 09:19 PM

View PostAlbert Holmes Slides In, on 06 October 2017 - 02:49 PM, said:

At seventeen I doubt you'd know if Brian Clough had the right to sack you. I think you'd probably have assumed he could do whatever he liked.

Being near the end of his career, unless Mr Dunford's in desperate financial straits (and he talks about the nice lifestyle he has left behind in Devon), might have both the bottle and experience of the decidedly criminal in Birmingham to stand up and be counted. Being brought up by a special constable and not a bent sergeant in the Met might be a good thing too.

Hi Ashley hows it going??
#notapennymore

#156 User is offline   Stockholm Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Formerly Dubai Spireite. I used to live there, but I've moved on to Stockholm

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:06 PM

I was anonymously referred to in Cloughie's autobiography (1994) as the apprentice who gave him a bit back. As a YTS lad, I was doing my 'duties' in the changing room and boot room when the phone rang and Cloughie wanted a cuppa bringing and errands running. But he'd already gangbo//ocked half of the youth team half an hour earlier and told them in no uncertain terms that a number of jobs had to be done properly. I answered the phone and after some to-ing and fro-ig the conversation went like this:

BC: I said I want you to bring me a effin cup of tea, you little $h/t
Me: But I've got all these jobs to do
BC: Bring me the tea or you'll be finished here
Me: But boss, you've told us we've got to do this...
BC: Do you know who this is? Do you know who you're talking to?
Me: Yes. Do you know who this is?
BC: Not sure.
Me (in a slight change of pitch): Well you can get your own effin' tea then!

I never mentioned around the lads it and he never found out.

#157 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 06 October 2017 - 10:13 PM

Nice one. When was that and how far did your playing career go?

#158 User is offline   valemadness 

• Chief Stalker
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:SPIREITES ;oD

Posted 07 October 2017 - 06:50 AM

In case anyone is interested in talking to Michael Dunford, he will hopefully he going to the speakeasy next Friday 13th October (card subject to change ;) ) at the hub, starts about 1pm

#159 User is offline   Nivo 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:00 AM

View PostLooker-on, on 05 October 2017 - 06:13 AM, said:

I would worry if certain buyers from South East Asia followed Mr Dunford up from the Broadfield Stadium.

Well would you Adam and Eve it, Hong Kong Paul, AKA Paul John Hayward and Paul Hilton who Michael Dunford said Crawley ”has been very very lucky, amazingly lucky to have a benefactor like Paul Hayward, to decide to put so much money into the club (others are far less generous with their praise by the way) is looking for another football club to put his money into after failing to take over Leyton Orient this summer!

#160 User is offline   mattthespireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC. MUFC. My dog Raymond who is a Shar-Pei.

Posted 07 October 2017 - 09:24 AM

Ooooh....a special Constable. Bet that frightened the club secretary.
You've got to be a bit 'special' to want to work in the police force for nowt.

Share this topic:

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users