Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: I See People Are Still Whining About The Cost Of The Friendlies - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I See People Are Still Whining About The Cost Of The Friendlies

#81 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:31 PM

7k average attendance was ridiculous, far fetched and not based on reality, only a Chesterfield FC apologist would say otherwise.

(and i shall, 5 aside in 15 mins :ninja: )

This post has been edited by Goku: 28 July 2014 - 06:31 PM

#82 User is offline   Cartman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:34 PM

View PostGoku, on 28 July 2014 - 06:31 PM, said:

7k average attendance was ridiculous, far fetched and not based on reality, only a Chesterfield FC apologist would say otherwise.

(and i shall, 5 aside in 15 mins :ninja: )

again, you need to know how forecasts work

people base them on what has gone before

not that hard of a concept to grasp

and the forecast allowed us to assemble the squad we had last season, the fact it turned out to be wrong is why we seem to be struggling to sign many players for the new season

#83 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:42 PM

exactly, based it on what has happened before. we nearly averaged 7k *just* as we moved into a new stadium. we were never gonna hit that number (or get particularly close to it) last season.

This post has been edited by Goku: 28 July 2014 - 06:42 PM

#84 User is offline   Cartman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

View PostGoku, on 28 July 2014 - 06:42 PM, said:

exactly, based it on what has happened before. we nearly averaged 7k *just* as we moved into a new stadium. we were never gonna hit that number (or get particularly close to it) last season.

close to 7k average when winning the league, so reasonible if a bit optimistic to assume close to 7k average if side is good enough to win the league

simple

and as people have mentioned elsewhere, no one was moaning when this forecast allowed us to signe Roberts, Morsy, Ryan et al

#85 User is offline   newboldsteve 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:49 PM

View PostCartman, on 28 July 2014 - 06:34 PM, said:

again, you need to know how forecasts work

people base them on what has gone before

and the forecast allowed us to assemble the squad we had last season, the fact it turned out to be wrong is why we seem to be struggling to sign many players for the new season

base on what as gone on before ct said on interview last week they were expecting 7 to 7.5 k when in your life time have we had that many

#86 User is offline   Cartman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:53 PM

View Postnewboldsteve, on 28 July 2014 - 06:49 PM, said:

base on what as gone on before ct said on interview last week they were expecting 7 to 7.5 k when in your life time have we had that many

never, but still they put together a side they thought would have the crowds flocking in - it didn't, they were mistaken

and the forecast was based on the attendances when we last won the league and was on the optimistic side, but not as far fetched as some make out

it is now up to the club to improve marketing and do all they can to attract people, they appear to have thought that a winning side and decent signings were enough, they obviously weren't!

#87 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:54 PM

View PostCartman, on 28 July 2014 - 05:49 PM, said:

why is that an obscene comment

does anyone really think that £15 is a lot of money these days?

doesn't buy you much at all really

and no, a reduced admission price would not make a difference to attendance, as has been proven at Chesterfield when the prices have been lower pre season attendances have still been low and at other clubs where low prices do not see bumper attendances

what part of that do you not understand?

Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#88 User is offline   newboldsteve 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:07 PM

View PostCartman, on 28 July 2014 - 06:53 PM, said:

never, but still they put together a side they thought would have the crowds flocking in - it didn't, they were mistaken

and the forecast was based on the attendances when we last won the league and was on the optimistic side, but not as far fetched as some make out

it is now up to the club to improve marketing and do all they can to attract people, they appear to have thought that a winning side and decent signings were enough, they obviously weren't!

no one does a forecast on winning the league and the year we got near 7k we were nailing the league promoted in march . and they had a chance for good marketing Saturday and chose money instead . they would have made for more over the season if it had been a fiver on sat and got people in to the ground that don't normally bother after seeing Saturday how good we can be they might have come back when the proper stuff begins

This post has been edited by newboldsteve: 28 July 2014 - 07:07 PM

#89 User is online   trickytrevsfanclub 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:13 PM

fatfrank said:

1406564751[/url]' post='1025312']
Here's my view on this.
Was £15 too much? yes
Would enough extra fans turned up for the club to have made the same amount or more if it had been £10 (2000 plus extras) almost definitely not.
So financially the club probably got it right.
I was talking to a wendy at work today he went to donny yesterday (£10) he estimated there were about 500 from donny at the match so lower prices don't always bring in the crowds.

I agree Frank. Here's my take. Which would I rather go too? The two home friendlies or Orient away. Answer is Orient away. However with cost of entry, cost of travel and food and drink the price of that one match is double that of the two friendlies together. So I'll give my £30 to our club to put towards a new striker.Personally I thought the turn out of home fans was excellent and the attendance of over 4000 was very impressive for a friendly and as Frank and other posters have pointed out other teams friendlies may have been cheaper but they've not exactly had the fans flooding in have they.

#90 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:19 PM

I'm pretty sure that if you were to get the attendance figures for the home games played by sides in our division ours will stack up reasonably well. Did I go? No. I was playing cricket. Will I go on Wednesday? Probably not as the general feeling amongst the lads when I asked was that £15 is too much.

#91 User is offline   Cartman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:29 PM

View Postnewboldsteve, on 28 July 2014 - 07:07 PM, said:

no one does a forecast on winning the league and the year we got near 7k we were nailing the league promoted in march . and they had a chance for good marketing Saturday and chose money instead . they would have made for more over the season if it had been a fiver on sat and got people in to the ground that don't normally bother after seeing Saturday how good we can be they might have come back when the proper stuff begins

winning the league was the aim and was what they forecasted and recruited for

so you expect people who don't normally go to games to bother with pre season friendlies? Not gonna happen!

If it had been a fiver attendance would have been similar than what it was anyway, not sure where people think these magical 1000s of people who would suddenly go to a game if it was cheap are? They still wouldn't have bothered! Cos they were not in the least bothered about the fixture

#92 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:31 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 28 July 2014 - 07:19 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure that if you were to get the attendance figures for the home games played by sides in our division ours will stack up reasonably well. Did I go? No. I was playing cricket. Will I go on Wednesday? Probably not as the general feeling amongst the lads when I asked was that £15 is too much.

Cartman says otherwise

So I must obey
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#93 User is offline   Cartman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:34 PM

View Postazul, on 28 July 2014 - 07:31 PM, said:

Cartman says otherwise

So I must obey

people will say lots of things are too much if you ask them

comes with being this close to Yorkshire!

#94 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:34 PM

It was the automatic reaction from half a dozen regular supporters/season ticket holders who don't read the messageboard when I answered the 'how much?' question!

#95 User is offline   newboldsteve 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:08 PM

View PostCartman, on 28 July 2014 - 07:29 PM, said:

winning the league was the aim and was what they forecasted and recruited for

so you expect people who don't normally go to games to bother with pre season friendlies? Not gonna happen!

If it had been a fiver attendance would have been similar than what it was anyway, not sure where people think these magical 1000s of people who would suddenly go to a game if it was cheap are? They still wouldn't have bothered! Cos they were not in the least bothered about the fixture

the only way to get new people though the doors is to make it cheap and as we cannot afford to do that in season so you do it in friendly's if they see what a good footballing side we have they may come back

#96 User is offline   Cartman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:14 PM

View Postnewboldsteve, on 28 July 2014 - 08:08 PM, said:

the only way to get new people though the doors is to make it cheap and as we cannot afford to do that in season so you do it in friendly's if they see what a good footballing side we have they may come back

but they won't go in the first place because it is a friendly!

friendlies always have low attendances cos not many supporters (never mind non supporters) are bothered about them

#97 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:20 PM

[/quote]

You watch if we ever get a good cup draw and see how hard it is to get a ticket if you aren't a season ticket holder

#98 User is offline   Exharboroughspireite 

• ExHarboroughspireite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:23 PM

View PostCartman, on 28 July 2014 - 08:14 PM, said:

but they won't go in the first place because it is a friendly!

friendlies always have low attendances cos not many supporters (never mind non supporters) are bothered about them

So your logic is not to bother making them financially attractive to prospective customers? I take it you don't run your own business. I see you have put yourself forward for the 'look at me' award for the month with this thread.

#99 User is offline   newboldsteve 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:30 PM

EEE

I MENT ON A REGULAR BASIS NOT JUST TO WATCH A PREM TEAM IF WE EVER GET LUCKY ENOUGH TO GET THROUGH THAT FAR. AND WITH ONLY 18 FIRST TEAM PLAYERS WE WILL BE PLAYING KIDS IN THE CUP AT THIS RATE

This post has been edited by newboldsteve: 28 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

#100 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:32 PM

View Postharboroughspireite, on 28 July 2014 - 08:23 PM, said:

So your logic is not to bother making them financially attractive to prospective customers? I take it you don't run your own business. I see you have put yourself forward for the 'look at me' award for the month with this thread.

I think what he's saying is that due to the likelihood of a price of say, one-thirds less (ie a tenner), having had little effect in boosting the crowd that financially it was OK for the club.

Share this topic:

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users