• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Centre Half

#1 User is offline   Jonno 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 March 2024 - 08:09 AM

The one positive about some of the more difficult to swallow performances recently is that it only confirms to Cook that Grimes and Palmer are not the answer in L2. Full respect to both, for leading us to victory this season, but it’s no coincidence that as soon as Stockport went up, they shipped Hogan and Palmer back down to the NL.

In all the sentiment and celebration, we can’t be complacent about our defensive troubles (for what it’s worth, sure Cook will make the tough calls) - Notts County ignored theirs and they have been all season.

I think we may already have one of the answers in the building: Freckleton had his best game for us at Watford, arguably MOTM at Centre Half, where he kept their championship forwards quiet for most of the game. He’s barely played since but good young option to develop.

#2 User is offline   Zigsuk 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 17 March 2024 - 08:55 AM

I would be sad to see Grimes go. Yes he has his limitations and mistakes but show me a defender that doesn’t. He has on the whole been a lot better for us than some of his detractors suggest. For example that remarkable clearance off the line in one of the home games. I recognise however that he will be a year older and stepping up a level so is likely and necessarily to be replaced.
Whether he leaves or stays as a squad player I think he deserves far more plaudits than brickbats
If Quigs has his supporters I think Jaime deserves some too.

#3 User is offline   Brookie 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My Dad took me to my first game at Saltergate age 5, he never did say what I'd done wrong, been hooked ever since

Posted 17 March 2024 - 08:57 AM

Grimes has stated previously that he wished he had played for Paul Cook earlier in his career and would have been a better player

#4 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 09:01 AM

View PostZigsuk, on 17 March 2024 - 08:55 AM, said:

I would be sad to see Grimes go. Yes he has his limitations and mistakes but show me a defender that doesn’t. He has on the whole been a lot better for us than some of his detractors suggest. For example that remarkable clearance off the line in one of the home games. I recognise however that he will be a year older and stepping up a level so is likely and necessarily to be replaced.
Whether he leaves or stays as a squad player I think he deserves far more plaudits than brickbats
If Quigs has his supporters I think Jaime deserves some too.

Grimes has a contract until next year, can’t see him going anywhere.
So, some want a good central defender who has pace to burn?
Plenty about, at Championship and above level that is

#5 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 09:17 AM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 17 March 2024 - 09:01 AM, said:

Grimes has a contract until next year, can’t see him going anywhere.

That’s how I see it.

So, unless another club comes in for him and makes us and him an offer he wants to take up Jamie will still be a member of our squad next season. As will any other player under contract.

Now, the question remains whether he, and they, will be natural first choices or, indeed, be members of the squad. Cook will be recruiting and I would hazard a guess he will be recruiting with a view to upgrading the squad. As such, regular first choices this season will not necessarily be regular first choices next season but, nevertheless, be valuable members of the squad.

#6 User is offline   tomjoad 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bruce Springsteen Southside Counting Crows Abbot ale and LMS no 8s!

Posted 17 March 2024 - 09:44 AM

Rumours suggest two centre half's and a striker just about over the line?

Just gossip of course and merely commenting.

#7 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 17 March 2024 - 09:50 AM

Grimes will stay and needs to play alongside a younger athletic runner (which is what I expect to happen). Palmer, assumed out of contact, will go with our thanks and best wishes. I think back to Cook's signing of Liam Cooper and see a similar sort of signing on the cards.

#8 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 17 March 2024 - 09:57 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 17 March 2024 - 09:50 AM, said:

Grimes will stay and needs to play alongside a younger athletic runner (which is what I expect to happen). Palmer, assumed out of contact, will go with our thanks and best wishes. I think back to Cook's signing of Liam Cooper and see a similar sort of signing on the cards.

That seems fair.

Will we renew Clements, King (probably not) and Banks (likely, although surprised it’s not been done as yet)?

Also, when do we hear of Jacob’s contract position? Didn’t the Directors say last week we are currently negotiating more than one renewal?

#9 User is offline   Carlisle_Spireite 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 09:58 AM

I would think he'd become a squad player with Naylor to become the regular Captain. Think we saw hints of it when Grimes was suspended that Naylor definitely has captain capability and quality.

#10 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 17 March 2024 - 10:01 AM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 17 March 2024 - 09:57 AM, said:

That seems fair.

Will we renew Clements, King (probably not) and Banks (likely, although surprised it’s not been done as yet)?

Also, when do we hear of Jacob’s contract position? Didn’t the Directors say last week we are currently negotiating more than one renewal?

I am on the fence with Clements. We have a larger bench to fill next season and if Freckleton signs, he can cover that position too. I don't think we'll see King here but he will get games before the end of the season I'm sure, even if only as a 'farewell tour' kind of thing. I would like to see Banks stay. Jacobs has dropped off performance-wise and hasn't benefited from Cook's rotation policy. Again, if he's not under contact, I'm undecided.

#11 User is offline   Lincs Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 10:14 AM

Yes, I would like to see Jamie stay with us next season but not as first choice. He has more than proved his worth at this level but we need to seriously improve and tighen up at the back with younger quicker players.

#12 User is offline   Fit as a Nelson 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 10:19 AM

Massive respect to Jamie Grimes but I’m a bit uneasy about the thought of him starting our first game next season.

#13 User is online   Roussa spireite 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 10:24 AM

I think Grimes will be a better player without palmer who during our last few games has got caught out of position and beaten for pace
Clements is one that could improve and he has had a few good performances but I don't know
I'm sure we'll see some new faces
But like someone else said Frecks could be a good option at centre back if we can get him

#14 User is offline   Exharboroughspireite 

• ExHarboroughspireite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 10:30 AM

If cook is going to continue with the very very high line we play then we need to find a centre half with bags of pace

#15 User is online   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Zzz

Posted 17 March 2024 - 10:30 AM

View Posttomjoad, on 17 March 2024 - 09:44 AM, said:

Would it be a massive shock if Norwoods important meeting at 15:30 yesterday was with us?
Here we go again!

#16 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 17 March 2024 - 10:34 AM

View PostTrigger, on 17 March 2024 - 10:30 AM, said:

Would it be a massive shock if Norwoods important meeting at 15:30 yesterday was with us?

You know what, during yesterdays match, with him having history with Cook, I half wondered if his performance was almost an audition!
Probably 2+2=5 scenario!
East stand second class citizen.

#17 User is online   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Zzz

Posted 17 March 2024 - 10:36 AM

View PostMr Mercury, on 17 March 2024 - 10:34 AM, said:

You know what, during yesterdays match, with him having history with Cook, I half wondered if his performance was almost an audition!
Probably 2+2=5 scenario!

Yeah, probably is but I wouldn't be surprised if we took 1 or 2 from this division
Here we go again!

#18 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 17 March 2024 - 10:49 AM

I nearly posted that.

#19 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2024 - 11:16 AM

View Posttomjoad, on 17 March 2024 - 09:44 AM, said:

Middle of March and we already have rumours, eh!

Whilst I know they will be from a reliable source with close connections to the club just remind me as to what the date is that players can sign for other clubs when we are in the EFL.

#20 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 17 March 2024 - 11:21 AM

Mind you at 33 I’d doubt it.
East stand second class citizen.

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users