• You cannot reply to this topic

Gateshead Away Away

#461 User is online   JonB 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 April 2024 - 07:38 AM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 17 April 2024 - 07:33 AM, said:

Of course he can get his “ acceleration’ back.

When's it likely to look like happening then? Its now nearly 2 seasons since he came back from injury isnt it and he doesnt look the player he was.

#462 User is offline   essexspireman 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2024 - 08:03 AM

Looks like he needs to give you a call

#463 User is offline   boot 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2024 - 08:30 AM

Of course he can get his " acceleration' back.

I would imagine that even the tiniest misalignment or difference in leg length following the healing of a broken leg would affect the performance of a professional athlete. Maybe his surgery was very good, but not perfection measured against pre-injury. Whatever, he was unrecognisable from what we saw of him.

#464 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 17 April 2024 - 08:39 AM

How?

When I tore my medial ligaments I was told in no uncertain terms that even with rehab it will now always be a weak point point and would never be back to what I was pre injury.

Admittedly I’d expect medical science to have moved on since the mid 90s but you see why I’m asking

This post has been edited by Wooden Spoon: 17 April 2024 - 08:40 AM

A new hope.

#465 User is offline   Blue roan lily 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC.

Posted 17 April 2024 - 08:40 AM

View Postboot, on 17 April 2024 - 08:30 AM, said:

I would imagine that even the tiniest misalignment or difference in leg length following the healing of a broken leg would affect the performance of a professional athlete. Maybe his surgery was very good, but not perfection measured against pre-injury. Whatever, he was unrecognisable from what we saw of him.

Correct ,i broke my left femur in 3 places when I was 17, it mended 2cm shorter than what it was.
Still managed to continue playing football etc ( still do ) but could never run as fast as prior to the brake.
If a break doesn’t mend to the extent before the break then it will never perform as it once did.
Perhaps this is the issue with Kabby’s pace?
Also as the injury perhaps left something mentally ?

#466 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2024 - 08:46 AM

View Postclarevoyant., on 16 April 2024 - 06:46 PM, said:

If you was sat in the same line as me? would you agree that the phase of play before the play that the video shows, their kid on our left was at least 2 strides offside before playing the ball to where the video picks up the action.

Another pathetic game changing decision like the none handball at York. When are we due for some decisions like this to go our way?

Hopefully next season when it really matters in the EFL lol

#467 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 17 April 2024 - 08:50 AM

View PostWooden Spoon, on 17 April 2024 - 08:39 AM, said:

How?

When I tore my medial ligaments I was told in no uncertain terms that even with rehab it will now always be a weak point point and would never be back to what I was pre injury.

Admittedly I’d expect medical science to have moved on since the mid 90s but you see why I’m asking

Ok so you’re right in things have changed a lot in 30 years as you can imagine.
The knee is a lot more complex than a fracture however (the factors being its a joint and the attaching muscles and ligaments) compared to a simple fracture.
I understand Tahimanga had a basic fracture and an ankle injury.
T he ankle is also in its own way complex but they do heal quickly and rehab extremely well.
Danny Webb stayed at the time he would come back stronger and better. Whilst this hasn’t happened there are a few reasons why- usually psychological in elite sports.

#468 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 17 April 2024 - 08:53 AM

View Postboot, on 17 April 2024 - 08:30 AM, said:

Don't go talking in a knowledgeable manner some may not understand.
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#469 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 April 2024 - 09:36 AM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 17 April 2024 - 08:50 AM, said:

The knee is a lot more complex than a fracture however (the factors being its a joint and the attaching muscles and ligaments) compared to a simple fracture.
T he ankle is also in its own way complex but they do heal quickly and rehab extremely well.
Danny Webb stayed at the time he would come back stronger and better. Whilst this hasn’t happened there are a few reasons why- usually psychological in elite sports.

I'd be genuinely interested in some advice on ankles if you have 2 mins...

Had what looks to have been a bad ankle injury 2 years ago (I didn't get any treatment just hobbled about for a few weeks but CT scans reveal a potential historic fracture) and ever since I reckon i've rolled my ankle/damaged ligaments about 10 times since - either playing football or just out and about running. It got really annoying as every time I did it I was in pain / liming for a couple of weeks before going back playing and doing the same again a couple of months later.

Went private through work and had it looked at and the person I saw reckoned due to the nature of the injury it was possible ligaments hadn't reattached/healed around the bone post the initial injury possibly and that I may need reconstructive surgery.
I've been putting off agreeing to this for 6 months now due to time off work, not being able to drive and the fact I have 2 young children, but know I probably need it doing to prevent issues later in life - and to enable me to keep fit by playing sports/running. Would you recommend going down this route, or if I bit the bullet and said i'd pack football in and give it a proper time to heal, it would correct itself potentially?

#470 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 17 April 2024 - 10:04 AM

View PostCFC91, on 17 April 2024 - 09:36 AM, said:

Had what looks to have been a bad ankle injury 2 years ago (I didn't get any treatment just hobbled about for a few weeks but CT scans reveal a potential historic fracture) and ever since I reckon i've rolled my ankle/damaged ligaments about 10 times since - either playing football or just out and about running. It got really annoying as every time I did it I was in pain / liming for a couple of weeks before going back playing and doing the same again a couple of months later.

Went private through work and had it looked at and the person I saw reckoned due to the nature of the injury it was possible ligaments hadn't reattached/healed around the bone post the initial injury possibly and that I may need reconstructive surgery.
I've been putting off agreeing to this for 6 months now due to time off work, not being able to drive and the fact I have 2 young children, but know I probably need it doing to prevent issues later in life - and to enable me to keep fit by playing sports/running. Would you recommend going down this route, or if I bit the bullet and said i'd pack football in and give it a proper time to heal, it would correct itself potentially?

Ok so not allowing the original injury to heal hasn’t helped as you say- this is always more prevalent in ankles due to their position and the sheer forces going through them of course.
Football itself wouldn’t be a problem going forward if you do allow the issues to get sorted and do rehab and maintenance work - as you say it’s more important to be ok on later life rather than a bit of football etc in the short term.
As for the injury itself obvs not easy to say without seeing- did they x-Ray at any stage? Ankle fractures do heal very well but if there has been a complication it may have caused subsequent pan. When ligaments get effected - almost all ankle injuries will have have some ligament damage at source of injury. This is why it’s important to mobilise and rehab etc at the early stages - otherwise the ankle can ‘set’ in a limited mobility position and have some instability - this is usually the cause of repeated ankle sprains.
The good news though is as long as the bone did heal properly it’s easy to strengthen and mobilise the whole area. I’d take some time off- focus on rehab and exercises for the lower leg and you’ll be back on the pitch hopefully pain free.
Is there any particular pain? Orthotics can also help with foot placement etc.
Keep the calf muscles relaxed also - and the achilles as one of the worst injuries is a ruptured Achilles and this is often the result of previous ankle issues and lack of mobility.

Edit-
Re read yr post - surgery for re-alignment isn’t normally done - but focus on stability of the ankle.
Think:
Mobilisation (rotations/ resisted rotations etc)
Mini jumps (skipping type activity)
Swimming is a good ankle mobility activity
Barefoot running on a grass/sand surface
Steep hill walking

Etc etc

This post has been edited by calvin plummers socks: 17 April 2024 - 10:07 AM

#471 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 17 April 2024 - 10:59 AM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 17 April 2024 - 08:50 AM, said:

I believe Tshimanga had a fractured fibula and dislocated ankle, similar to Harvey Elliot (see article below). I have no idea whether Elliot has returned to his former self, but the article mentions Wayne Fofana who had a difficult road and obviously Fofana sustained another serious injury since. Seems the amount of ligament damage is a big variable.

https://www.thisisan...re-performance/

This post has been edited by azul: 17 April 2024 - 11:02 AM

Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#472 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 17 April 2024 - 11:36 AM

View Postazul, on 17 April 2024 - 10:59 AM, said:

I believe Tshimanga had a fractured fibula and dislocated ankle, similar to Harvey Elliot (see article below). I have no idea whether Elliot has returned to his former self, but the article mentions Wayne Fofana who had a difficult road and obviously Fofana sustained another serious injury since. Seems the amount of ligament damage is a big variable.

https://www.thisisan...re-performance/

Decent article that.
I’d certainly say Elliott has returned from the injury better than before(?)
He’d have the best treatment at Liverpool of course and has even surveyed Klopp’s terrible training methods (oooh controversial there)!

My original point was the comment on acceleration which is a specific statement by the OP and that certainly wouldn’t/ shouldn’t be negatively effected

#473 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 17 April 2024 - 11:55 PM

View PostCFC91, on 17 April 2024 - 09:36 AM, said:

That sounds like supination. It's possible the injury has changed the way you walk or plant your foot.

Also MRI is the gold standard for reviewing possible ligament damage. CT less so.
Guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

#474 User is offline   oldgoat 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2024 - 12:37 AM

View PostTown_Fan, on 17 April 2024 - 11:55 PM, said:

That sounds like supination. It's possible the injury has changed the way you walk or plant your foot.

Also MRI is the gold standard for reviewing possible ligament damage. CT less so.

#475 User is offline   oldgoat 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2024 - 12:43 AM

I struggled be didn't realise I wasn't walking properly on my right foot after I'd snapped my achilles , long story , fell off a ladder , kept swelling for a month , settled with rest , scan tendonitis then twang snapped like a big elastic band .
Had it repaired at the Royal and great physio , she pulled me up as I was not using my foot properly , not rolling heel/ toe , much better now but had to work so hard at it , even got a bit of calf muscle now 6 months later .

#476 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 19 April 2024 - 05:27 PM

View PostJonB, on 17 April 2024 - 07:38 AM, said:

When's it likely to look like happening then? Its now nearly 2 seasons since he came back from injury isnt it and he doesnt look the player he was.

Bump
Interesting postscript (well to me anyway)
Highlights of the Aldershot v Borehamwood match have only just gone up.

Tshimanga scored B/W's third goal, leaving no other than Mnonga on his ass in the process. Tshimanga was then immediately booked. I'd conclude that a few choice words were uttered.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#477 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 19 April 2024 - 05:41 PM

View Postdim view, on 19 April 2024 - 05:27 PM, said:

Bump
Interesting postscript (well to me anyway)
Highlights of the Aldershot v Borehamwood match have only just gone up.

Tshimanga scored B/W's third goal, leaving no other than Mnonga on his ass in the process. Tshimanga was then immediately booked. I'd conclude that a few choice words were uttered.

Can’t find them DV.
Any clues?

#478 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 19 April 2024 - 05:46 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 19 April 2024 - 05:41 PM, said:

Can’t find them DV.
Any clues?

https://www.youtube....h?v=r_zZ_Fo5SV0
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#479 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 19 April 2024 - 05:59 PM

View Postdim view, on 19 April 2024 - 05:46 PM, said:

Cheers.
I’d imagine the booking was for kicking the corner flag over.

#480 User is offline   Fit as a Nelson 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 April 2024 - 07:30 PM

Yeah, smashing corner flag in half might have had something to do with it

Share this topic:

• (25 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic