Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Your best memories of The Recreation Ground? - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your best memories of The Recreation Ground?

#1 User is offline   Peak Fm Sport Show 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:56 AM

As we all know, Chesterfield Fc and all the Spirerites supporters bid farewell to The Recreation Ground after 139 years at the end of this season.

We here at Peak Fm sport would dearly love to hear about your favourite memories of Saltergate, it could be one particular game, a goal, a player, whatever it is feel free to tell us. We are already gathering the memories together from past and present players and management to play out on the Peak Fm sports show when the club moves to the new B2Net Stadium and we would also love to include the memories of the fans.

For your help we would be hugely grateful and we look very much to hearing your memories.

All the best,

Peak Fm Sport.

#2 Guest_Mark Jones_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:58 AM

There are so many to chose from.

But for me, the best memory was the Glyn Hurst goal against Luton to keep us up in League 1.

I have never felt so relieved in my life.

#3 User is offline   lindo-spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:00 PM

very recent mine, charlton in the carling cup, just as it looked like we was heading out, wayne allison rises at the far post to head home (allbeit from a deflection) yes we did end up going out on penalties, but that moment was priceless :rolleyes:

and the glyn hurst goal to keep us in league 1

This post has been edited by true blue: 07 January 2010 - 12:00 PM

Messageboard mafia. AKA - The Big Dog

#4 Guest_Dema Reborn_*

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:13 PM

I think i would choose the 1980/81 season where we won the last ever Anglo Scottish cup drawing away to the mighty Rangers then hammering them at Saltergate 3 - 0.
Also finishing 5th in the league and beating Sheffield United 3 times at Saltergate.....

For the odd game i would choose the demolition of Bury by 7 - 0 in 1976/77 season on a frosty bone hard pitch in December.

And winning the old 4th division in my very first season as a supporter in 1969/70.....

I must add being in the highest gate of the last 40 years in the 1980/81 season of 17,169 against local rivals Barnsley on Boxing Day....

This post has been edited by Dema Reborn: 07 January 2010 - 12:23 PM

#5 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:17 PM

View PostPeak Fm Sport Show, on Jan 7 2010, 11:59 AM, said:

As we all know, Chesterfield Fc and all the Spirerites supporters bid farewell to The Recreation Ground after 139 years at the end of this season.

We here at Peak Fm sport would dearly love to hear about your favourite memories of Saltergate, it could be one particular game, a goal, a player, whatever it is feel free to tell us. We are already gathering the memories together from past and present players and management to play out on the Peak Fm sports show when the club moves to the new B2Net Stadium and we would also love to include the memories of the fans.

For your help we would be hugely grateful and we look very much to hearing your memories.

All the best,

Peak Fm Sport.

For a lot on here it will be taking of the 30 pieces of silver to become Derby fans for the day during the filming of ' the damned united' :rolleyes: :lol:
God I hate this league.

#6 User is offline   WarwickshireSpireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:25 PM

For me:

The 5-4 defeat to Charlton in the League Cup in the late seventies
The Win against Rangers
All of the Sheffield Derbies during the early eighties
Play Off game against Stockport
Play off game against Mansfield
The FA Cup quarter final against Wrexham
League Cup Games against Man City, West Ham & Cgharlton under Roy Mac

But top of my list was Glyn Hurst goal against Luton for sheer Joy, my son was mascot that day too so extra special
SUPER JACK LESTER!

#7 User is offline   DMU Blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:31 PM

Hurst Vs Luton Goal

Niven screamer Vs Man City

Caleb's tap in Vs West Ham

Brandon dribbling around David James a few years earlier

Beaumont goal Vs Wrexham

Brandons Overhead Kick Vs Port Vale (?)

Chesterfield 4 -1 Mansfield
Up the Blues

#8 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:40 PM

All the best,

Peak Fm Sport.

The best memory for me was the securing of our existence after the Darren Brown era. Coming back into the ground after the re developement.
God I hate this league.

#9 User is offline   If Carlsberg Made Chairmen 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:42 PM

Glynn Hurst against Luton and stuffing Mansfield 5-2 in the play-off semi.
President HubbardPosted Image

#10 User is offline   shaun1866 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:47 PM

The night the mecca hosted Liverpool 'talk about abuse and brucie was fantastic that night with the fans and how he played' even though the result didnt go our way.

Hurst goal againts Luton

The hammering we gave wednesday I think me and 2 others made the derby times that week Im not the one gurning

#11 User is offline   twistedspire 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:49 PM

Best memories: Hursts goal against luton, Wrexham at home in FA cup & the plymouth game preceding it, Carlisle at home (people on the school roof and compton house roofs to watch the match, Mansfield play off game.

Worst memories: The tuesday night game when the Kop was shut and the sh*t hit the fan during the Brown era.

#12 User is offline   dmb1978 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:50 PM

All the best,

Peak Fm Sport.

I started a debate like this up it got moved to saltergate sunset if you would like to have a look at the information funny memories like i put somebody wrestling chester to the ground and knocking his head off. The blackpool fans in bright orange habits running onto the pitch when they equilized and who can forget droylsden lat season the first game lowry picking up the ball on the half way line going forward just two paces and just dissapearing into the fog.

As for games got to be the mansfield semi-final game as well as the 24 game unbeaten run that lead to us getting into the play-offs.

This post has been edited by dmb1978: 07 January 2010 - 12:56 PM

#13 User is offline   oh rodney rodney 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:heavy rock/metal classic rock, having a gargle + CHESTERFIELD + EVERTON FOOTBALL CLUBS

Posted 07 January 2010 - 12:50 PM

as posted in another thread i/e saltergate sunset

far to many to mention but i will have a go at some in no specific order

1967 1st time at saltergate

winnin the league in 69-70 ernie randall dan archer albert holmes fenoughty phelan
pugh names that just roll of the tongue

coxys superstars just a pleasure to watch even tho they nearly bankrupted us

reevesys 4 goals against cambridge

wrexham fa cup QF NEVER known atmosphere like that

hursts goal against luton

dutchys ---------- blackpool

mansfield playoff semi final one of the best matches ever at saltergate

mark kendall being carried of the pitch by town fans

beating rangers

signing rodney fern

man city in league cup 76 we lost 1 0 but we absolutely battered em

losin to charlton 5 4

then i remember pitch invasions against wednesday brighton villa millwall
northampton hull cardiff to name a few

loads loads more memories but these just spring to mind :rolleyes: :lol: :excl:
FROM THE GREEN GREEN GRASS OF SALTERGATE,

#14 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:22 PM

There have been so many priceless memories of Saltergate, but the everlasting memory for me was the one I've posted before.
It was a reserve game in the late 60s early 70s against York City on a freezing night played in blizzard conditions.The whole ground was white over York played in white and we played with a white ball. There were about 20 of us kopites at the match and we marched round to the Cross Street end to seek cover under the old wooden scoreboard.We through a couple of snowballs at their keeper which missed until a sole copper who had followed us round told us to stop with a freindly warning. We went in 3-0 down but it was a decent game. The 2nd half brought a big turnaround as we all huddled together on the kop, they changed the matchball to orange, and Tony Moor scored a stunning hattrick ( I was never a big fan of his).We won the game 4-3.
I'm dreading the final day at Saltergate, no doubt there will be plenty of tears ( led by me), its still the only true football ground in the football league, I'll miss the kop the most. I can remember watching the floodlights be installed as I played football on our school playground and it was awesome to see the men at the top of the pylons. Another big memeory was when we played Stoke in the league cup and came back with two Nobby Clarke goals to take them to a replay.We kicked off at 4-45pm as we had no lights then and I can remember stopping behind to do my homework and then rang across the road for the match.
Long Live the Saltergate memories.
lindave

#15 User is offline   S18Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:27 PM

Imagine being drawn at home to Notts Forest in the 5th round of the FA Cup but then failing to get a voucher at the appropriate league match (Wrexham coincedentally) and suffer ridicule at the hands of the away fans in the Cross Street wing stand who were waving the vouchers at you.

Imagine then, faced with the prospect of missing the biggest game in years, walking straight into the ground at 1pm behind a gateman and wandering underneath the main-stand out on to the pitch, onto the kop and hiding in the kop toilets until the gates opened.

Then bounding up the kop stairs and your friends with a cheeky grin. Imagine the delight as you see your current keeper doing the long walk off and seeing your unsung hero slot the ball past him. Of seeing your young striker give top-flight defenders the run around. Of seeing your team create several chances and never look like losing. Of slaying the local giant.

That would be a good memory to have.
flat-pack my ar se

#16 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 07 January 2010 - 01:33 PM

View Postlindave, on Jan 7 2010, 01:25 PM, said:

There have been so many priceless memories of Saltergate, but the everlasting memory for me was the one I've posted before.
It was a reserve game in the late 60s early 70s against York City on a freezing night played in blizzard conditions.The whole ground was white over York played in white and we played with a white ball. There were about 20 of us kopites at the match and we marched round to the Cross Street end to seek cover under the old wooden scoreboard.We through a couple of snowballs at their keeper which missed until a sole copper who had followed us round told us to stop with a freindly warning. We went in 3-0 down but it was a decent game. The 2nd half brought a big turnaround as we all huddled together on the kop, they changed the matchball to orange, and Tony Moor scored a stunning hattrick ( I was never a big fan of his).We won the game 4-3.
I'm dreading the final day at Saltergate, no doubt there will be plenty of tears ( led by me), its still the only true football ground in the football league, I'll miss the kop the most. I can remember watching the floodlights be installed as I played football on our school playground and it was awesome to see the men at the top of the pylons. Another big memeory was when we played Stoke in the league cup and came back with two Nobby Clarke goals to take them to a replay.We kicked off at 4-45pm as we had no lights then and I can remember stopping behind to do my homework and then rang across the road for the match.
Long Live the Saltergate memories.

All the activity round the ground on the morning of the cup semi final an d the subsequent return after the result.
God I hate this league.

#17 User is online   rs1978 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:12 PM

In no particular order...

• Going one up against Liverpool (Trevor Hebbard)
  • 5-2 v Mansfield in the Play Off Semi Final Second Leg
  • 2-1 v Sheffield United (1989)
  • Chris Beaumont v Wrexham
  • 1-0 v Nottingham Forest
  • 2-1 v Middlesbrough (1987)
  • 4-0 v Stockport in Play Off Semi Final First Leg
  • Personally, my Saltergate debut in 1986 v Port Vale (lost 2-4) – appreciate this has limited appeal!

#18 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:48 PM

View Postrs1978, on Jan 7 2010, 02:15 PM, said:

In no particular order...

• Going one up against Liverpool (Trevor Hebbard)
  • 5-2 v Mansfield in the Play Off Semi Final Second Leg
  • 2-1 v Sheffield United (1989)
  • Chris Beaumont v Wrexham
  • 1-0 v Nottingham Forest
  • 2-1 v Middlesbrough (1987)
  • 4-0 v Stockport in Play Off Semi Final First Leg
  • Personally, my Saltergate debut in 1986 v Port Vale (lost 2-4) – appreciate this has limited appeal!

who are you may i ask?
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#19 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:54 PM

View Postbonnyman, on Jan 7 2010, 02:51 PM, said:

who are you may i ask?

When he says his debut, I think he means his first game as a spectator, not a player!

This post has been edited by Sammy Spireite: 07 January 2010 - 02:55 PM

#20 Guest_Dema Reborn_*

Posted 07 January 2010 - 02:55 PM

View Postbonnyman, on Jan 7 2010, 02:51 PM, said:

who are you may i ask?

A fan <_<

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic