Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: The Lester Factor! - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Lester Factor!

#21 User is offline   Jbspire 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:37 AM

View PostSpire-Power, on 21 September 2017 - 08:08 AM, said:

I found the compensation angle a little odd too.

I also can't see the compensation amount for an U23 coach to be huge either. It's not like we are poaching a big teams manager. Any compensation paid will probably achieve payback in a couple of home games due to the increased crowds anyway.

#22 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2017 - 10:45 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 21 September 2017 - 09:15 AM, said:

You don't generally get to appoint new managers when the going is good as it's usually when you've just binned someone off.

There's being in a mess, then there's being in the mess we are in now. 2 different ball games - we're not 19th in League 1 getting 6k+ like we were when we sacked Saunders for example. Fans are boycotting en mass and we are in danger of dropping out the FL. Could get very messy very quickly for anybody if things don't improve.

#23 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:02 AM

I agree. I just see the best chance of improvement being Sir Jack.

#24 User is offline   Valley Blues 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:40 AM

View PostJbspire, on 21 September 2017 - 10:37 AM, said:

I also can't see the compensation amount for an U23 coach to be huge either. It's not like we are poaching a big teams manager. Any compensation paid will probably achieve payback in a couple of home games due to the increased crowds anyway.

In the event of Jack coming home, would Gary Brazil be coming with him? I know he was with Page on Saturday and that led to speculation in itself. However from my understanding, Jack and Brazil have worked extremely well together and maybe feel the right option is to continue their working relationship.

#25 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:41 AM

IF Jack does get the job (and its still a massive IF) then its genuinely going to hurt me not going, but my stance is not against the team/squad or performances on the pitch (albeit they have made it much easier this season!) but against the organ grinder and his monkey.

Until they have gone, I won't be sponsoring their current business strategy by buying a ticket, but I genuinely wish the new manager, whoever it is, nothing but the very best.

#26 User is offline   Jbspire 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:43 AM

View PostValley Blues, on 21 September 2017 - 11:40 AM, said:

In the event of Jack coming home, would Gary Brazil be coming with him? I know he was with Page on Saturday and that led to speculation in itself. However from my understanding, Jack and Brazil have worked extremely well together and maybe feel the right option is to continue their working relationship.

Maybe, Barrow has made it clear he won't be staying so there is a position to fill.

Lester is the perfect appointment for me but also for Carson in my opinion as if it went wrong he's got the excuse of he gave the fans what we wanted and not my fault guv...

#27 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:46 AM

Exactly, it's just an excuse. The last 3 managers have been out of work, having failed in previous jobs, the one before that, our most succesful in years, was in work elsewhere, it can easily happen again if the will is there

View PostValley Blues, on 21 September 2017 - 11:40 AM, said:

Page also signed a four year contract with the Welsh FA earlier this year

#28 User is offline   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Zzz

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:51 AM

Yeah this was my thoughts too. Think they neymar saga but on a lower scale. If we have to pay, I dunno, £100k for example, how long will that take to pay back in increased crowds? 1000 on the gate at £15 a ticket on average? 6 games (4-5 with food and drink sales and purchases from the shop)?

Obviously if it goes wrong, the crowds drop again etc... But to me it seems like it's worth giving a go

Edit; neymar was more shirt sales have paid the fee back

This post has been edited by Trigger: 21 September 2017 - 11:51 AM

Here we go again!

#29 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 21 September 2017 - 11:57 AM

View PostTrigger, on 21 September 2017 - 11:51 AM, said:

Yeah this was my thoughts too. Think they neymar saga but on a lower scale. If we have to pay, I dunno, £100k for example, how long will that take to pay back in increased crowds? 1000 on the gate at £15 a ticket on average? 6 games (4-5 with food and drink sales and purchases from the shop)?

Obviously if it goes wrong, the crowds drop again etc... But to me it seems like it's worth giving a go

£100k ! Would be extremely minimal

#30 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:04 PM

View PostDoughnut, on 20 September 2017 - 09:06 PM, said:

Q. If he has the balls to take it on, why should anyone get pessimistic?
A. Saunders and Caldwell clearly had the balls to take it on...

If he is rumoured to be interested, he surely has the sheer determination & confidence to make it work.
A. Saunders and Caldwell were confident and had the determination, they certainly were determined to stick to their guns on how to play the game. How did that work out...

Q. By all accounts he is tipped for a bright future & why shouldn't his first steps cutting his teeth at a club he loves be a problem?
A. Because CFC is taking the risk and has a lot to lose if it goes wrong! My personal opinion is this is not the ideal time to take risk on an unproven manager. I (personally) would rather have someone with a track record in the lower leagues.

There are no certainties, even someone with a proven track record in the lower divisions, but I personally would want to go down that route as it de-risks the situation. A few people have said Lester's done/doing a cracking job at Forest with the junior sides. I can't comment on that as I haven't seen these teams play but fair enough that provides some credentials for the role. But 'he was a legend', 'he was the best player we've had', 'he's confident', 'he loves the club' are not reasons to appoint a football manager.

I'm with you all the way. Big pluses and minuses , so heaven help the poor devil who has to make the decision.
Probably best left to Jack, assuming he's offered it - clever bloke who knows the score better than any of us but has to factor in the problem of getting somebody else's signings to perform to his criteria.
I'd also add that experience shows that a club in steady decline is far from easy to turn round. Once on the slippery slope the momentum takes some stopping, as Tranmere and various others have shown. There doesn't seem to be any logical reason for this - changing managers, players, tactics ought to work but doesn't. It seems to be a psychological problem, if football clubs can have such things, but it's there.

#31 User is offline   danblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:13 PM

View Posth again, on 21 September 2017 - 12:04 PM, said:

I'm with you all the way. Big pluses and minuses , so heaven help the poor devil who has to make the decision.
Probably best left to Jack, assuming he's offered it - clever bloke who knows the score better than any of us but has to factor in the problem of getting somebody else's signings to perform to his criteria.
I'd also add that experience shows that a club in steady decline is far from easy to turn round. Once on the slippery slope the momentum takes some stopping, as Tranmere and various others have shown. There doesn't seem to be any logical reason for this - changing managers, players, tactics ought to work but doesn't. It seems to be a psychological problem, if football clubs can have such things, but it's there.

Which is what Caldwell mentioned re psychological probs

#32 User is offline   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Zzz

Posted 21 September 2017 - 12:24 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 21 September 2017 - 11:57 AM, said:

£100k ! Would be extremely minimal

Well there you go. I thought 100k was minimal in football terms now. Even more reason to go for it if it's only 20k or less
Here we go again!

#33 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:12 PM

If Lester took the job and got us to lower mid table from rock bottom he'd be a hero. So from that angle we'd would be a tempting prospect. The issue would be subsequent seasons
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#34 User is offline   ELTON 2020 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2017 - 01:27 PM

View Postfiredodger, on 20 September 2017 - 09:36 PM, said:

It really doesn't matter whether they are young or old, experienced or inexperienced, English or foreign, well known name or complete unknown, former player or no connection to the club, we just need someone to come in and get it right.

Why don't we get someone then....

#35 User is online   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 21 September 2017 - 02:01 PM

View PostTrigger, on 21 September 2017 - 11:51 AM, said:

They'll get a few million back as well when they sell Cavani as Neymar has demanded because he doesnt get on with him!! ;)

#36 User is offline   Doughnut 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:13 PM

View PostDave Wallers, on 21 September 2017 - 10:28 AM, said:

Disagree with most of the above :)

Fair enough matey.

#37 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 21 September 2017 - 04:42 PM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 21 September 2017 - 11:41 AM, said:

IF Jack does get the job (and its still a massive IF) then its genuinely going to hurt me not going, but my stance is not against the team/squad or performances on the pitch (albeit they have made it much easier this season!) but against the organ grinder and his monkey.

Until they have gone, I won't be sponsoring their current business strategy by buying a ticket, but I genuinely wish the new manager, whoever it is, nothing but the very best.

I know what your saying but the last sentence doesn't fit. It isn't helping any incoming manager by restricting income, however little of your ticket money you feel he would get

#38 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 21 September 2017 - 06:38 PM

Gary Birtles understands the interest

http://www.nottingha...r-linked-507188

#39 User is offline   CFC_92 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC&AVFC

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:05 PM

Wouldn't be so sure Lester would be the right appointment. Yes it would be a fans choice for the majority because of his legendary status at the club and rightly so he is a legend to this great club. But I feel we need the experience this time. This needs to be the right appointment because we are on a downward spiral and we need the stability to get the feel good factor around the place again. Come on chesterfield appoint the right man!
All town aren't we?

#40 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 21 September 2017 - 07:08 PM

View Postmoondog, on 21 September 2017 - 06:38 PM, said:

Gary Birtles understands the interest

http://www.nottingha...r-linked-507188

Hard hitting opinion piece :lol:

Always thought he was a plank.