Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

reserve team

#1 User is offline   BOBBY 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:cfc<br />family/pets<br />scuba diving<br />cfc (again)

Posted 23 May 2006 - 05:42 PM

perhaps one of the main problems is we don't have one....

know it comes down to costs but how do you ever get the promising youngsters, the recovering-from-injured players back to match fitness, the fringe players not quite making the bench, the t'cham's of the world who need match practice????

not by jogging round holmebrook valley pk or messing about in silly 5 a side games

we need to get the reserve team back, inject some competitiveness back and give the whole squad a chance to really fight for places

COMPETITION MAKES SUCCESS

was t'cham ever going to come back despite scoring for fun? was de bolla? no, because nobody from cfc were watching (or probably caring)
at least in the reserves, someone would have been monitoring.... but would that have secured us t'cham?
rico's barmy army

#2 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:28 PM

View PostSOMERSALL BLUE, on May 23 2006, 06:42 PM, said:

know it comes down to costs but how do you ever get the promising youngsters, the recovering-from-injured players back to match fitness, the fringe players not quite making the bench, the t'cham's of the world who need match practice????

not by jogging round holmebrook valley pk or messing about in silly 5 a side games

we need to get the reserve team back, inject some competitiveness back and give the whole squad a chance to really fight for places

was t'cham ever going to come back despite scoring for fun? was de bolla? no, because nobody from cfc were watching (or probably caring)
at least in the reserves, someone would have been monitoring.... but would that have secured us t'cham?

a reserve team may be a too much of a gamble for Ma Hubbard, we don't want to be seen making too much of an effort trying to win promotion heaven forbid
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#3 User is offline   marlons curtains 

• Key Player
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:41 PM

for the record... And Im not sure why...

Sundeerland, Newcastle Middlesbrough are now not competing in a "proper reserve league" next season, and are simply going to organise practice matches between each other next season...

Am i missing something?
Posted Image

#4 Guest_MP-Spire_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 23 May 2006 - 06:59 PM

View PostSOMERSALL BLUE, on May 23 2006, 06:42 PM, said:

So far off the mark, it's untrue.

1) We can't finance a decent 1st team to challenge for the play offs, a reserve team would put a further strain on 1st team resources.

2) To date, the players in the Youth setup have not been good enough to command a first team place.

3) It is cheaper to borrow the services of reserve team player at a Premiership or Championship Club than to run a full time reserve side. Generally, such players come from bigger, more attractive Clubs, therefore are better players!

4) How would a reserve side make the players fight for their places with the small squad that we have?

#5 User is offline   skaw 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:20 PM

View PostMP-Spire, on May 23 2006, 07:59 PM, said:

1) We can't finance a decent 1st team to challenge for the play offs, a reserve team would put a further strain on 1st team resources.

We cant finance this team yet we dont sell our stadium rights, our team is made up of over the hill players, who dont last all of the season. Hence we then use underdeveloped youth players.

2) To date, the players in the Youth setup have not been good enough to command a first team place.

Maybe cos there is a stage missing after the youth setup, look at this years talent coming through or last years. Or smith or the potential brought in tcham debolla etc. they dont develop.

3) It is cheaper to borrow the services of reserve team player at a Premiership or Championship Club than to run a full time reserve side. Generally, such players come from bigger, more attractive Clubs, therefore are better players!

Cheaper, but better?? How will these help the club improve, a tempory solution only. Our own players can be sold loanees fill gaps and can move when they get a different offer. Then we have to find someone else. Teams need time together to mold how can we get that with a new set of key players every 6 months? Plus we fill our loan slots at the begining of the year, then there is less room for emergency loanees.

4) How would a reserve side make the players fight for their places with the small squad that we have?

It would give players match fitness and form. It would give youngsters a chance without huge amounts of pressure on them the key stage in their development? With this fitness and form they could then push the better players and be more prepeared to takeover when unsupprisingly, chief, shinner, blatherwick, hazell are out injured.

#6 User is offline   lubic 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2006 - 07:49 PM

View Postskaw, on May 23 2006, 09:44 PM, said:

Again details!! Can someone who actually knows something respond as this is very silly and highly pointless. It wasnt even like i was defending tcham which is unusual for me I was just trying to find out why our ex best forward hasnt been used.

Yeah I was being silly but then what you two were writing made me giggle.

I don't know the details but I could swear I walked past Tcham N'Toya the other day - if it happens again I'll stop him and ask.

#7 User is offline   BOBBY 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:03 PM

could say 'so far off the mark it's untrue' :

1. we have a squad (including juniors) of 30 odd i would imagine- they get paid anyhow. how is getting into a localised reserve league going to increase expenditure that much? and the competitive not practice match IS IS IS better than a run round the park which hardly gets you noticed & promotes you to first team status
we had a potential play-off team until things went a bit 'pear-shaped' with injuries etc and we hadn't got good enough/ experienced enough players to step in

2. because what chance do they get to improve. haven't they just had a blooming great season?

3. borrowing is a cheap? short term option- no stability- klingan etc five minute wonders and some might just say, only a disruption to building a stable team/squad what did he ACTUALLY achieve here? got himself a 3k a week salary elsewhere, not a fat lot of help to us in the long run..... another 'stop-gap' measure

4. see no. 1 .... we must have 30 players wanting to play rather than run round the park- if i was a fringe player, i would run til i died to get in the first team especially if i was a local bred lad (i am, but no longer a lad !)
rico's barmy army

#8 Guest_MP-Spire_*

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:30 PM

1) The youth team play in a league and only the 2/3rd year scholars will stand any chance of playing in the reserves, so for some, it would mean 2 games a week. We would also need to recruit additional coaches & a physio.

2) To be fair, they are playing in a p poor league, maybe when we have the infrastructure to qualify us to play in the 'academy' league, we will be able to compare and contrast against other teams/players.

3) Agreed, I would sooner have the likes of Picken, Hurst & O'Hara on the books, but it's highly unlikely. That said, I would sooner have good loan players than poor youth players in the 1st team.

4) We could have as many youth team players competing for a first team place as you like, however, in reality, the likes of Blathers, Hazell, Chief, Niven, Allott, Larkin etc will be the first names on the team sheet.

5) Good riddance.

View PostSOMERSALL BLUE, on May 23 2006, 09:03 PM, said:

1. we have a squad (including juniors) of 30 odd i would imagine- they get paid anyhow. how is getting into a localised reserve league going to increase expenditure that much? and the competitive not practice match IS IS IS better than a run round the park which hardly gets you noticed & promotes you to first team status
we had a potential play-off team until things went a bit 'pear-shaped' with injuries etc and we hadn't got good enough/ experienced enough players to step in

2. because what chance do they get to improve. haven't they just had a blooming great season?

3. borrowing is a cheap? short term option- no stability- klingan etc five minute wonders and some might just say, only a disruption to building a stable team/squad what did he ACTUALLY achieve here? got himself a 3k a week salary elsewhere, not a fat lot of help to us in the long run..... another 'stop-gap' measure

4. see no. 1 .... we must have 30 players wanting to play rather than run round the park- if i was a fringe player, i would run til i died to get in the first team especially if i was a local bred lad (i am, but no longer a lad !)

#9 Guest_MP-Spire_*

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:44 PM

View PostSOMERSALL BLUE, on May 23 2006, 09:03 PM, said:

The influx of foreign players into the Premiership in recent years has put pressure on Youth & Academy development at the top end of the game which has resulted in players being released who can adequately compete at our level. Given our financial restraints, is it not better to take advantage of this situation?

#10 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:47 PM

View PostMP-Spire, on May 23 2006, 09:44 PM, said:

The influx of foreign players into the Premiership in recent years has put pressure on Youth & Academy development at the top end of the game which has resulted in players being released who can adequately compete at our level. Given our financial restraints, is it not better to take advantage of this situation?

yes

#11 User is offline   BOBBY 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:55 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on May 23 2006, 09:47 PM, said:

yes

no !

try & stay british & try and achieve stability
rico's barmy army

#12 Guest_MP-Spire_*

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:00 PM

View PostSOMERSALL BLUE, on May 23 2006, 09:55 PM, said:

no !

Stay British?

So Man U have released Picken, Sheff U go and release Hursty & Tottenham release O'Hara and we sign all three, we're not British?

#13 User is offline   InkySpireite 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:03 PM

View PostPaul, on May 23 2006, 08:49 PM, said:

Yeah I was being silly but then what you two were writing made me giggle.

I don't know the details but I could swear I walked past Tcham N'Toya the other day - if it happens again I'll stop him and ask.

:( Think this is the funniest thread I've read in ages!

Lol, think I jumped in feet first Skaw, :lol: Ah well, its made me laugh!
Spireite till I die...

#14 Guest_spireiteblue_*

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:03 PM

It makes you wonder how this club has survived its existence doesn't it.

#15 User is offline   BOBBY 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:35 PM

View PostSOMERSALL BLUE, on May 23 2006, 09:55 PM, said:

no !

re 'try & stay british', i actually meant the united kingdom as a whole, not just cfc- or is that an illegal comment under any of tony's 'we love the rest of the world-bar brits' act

do i need to keep a toothbrush and a spare pair of pants/socks with me in case of incarceration for a heinious comment (or for having probably spelt something wrong under the 'dense ####### act')
i'll settle for the fixed penalty ticket gov !
rico's barmy army

#16 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:58 AM

View PostSOMERSALL BLUE, on May 23 2006, 10:35 PM, said:

re 'try & stay british', i actually meant the united kingdom as a whole, not just cfc- or is that an illegal comment under any of tony's 'we love the rest of the world-bar brits' act

do i need to keep a toothbrush and a spare pair of pants/socks with me in case of incarceration for a heinious comment (or for having probably spelt something wrong under the 'dense ####### act')
i'll settle for the fixed penalty ticket gov !

I can see that a reserve team might struggle under the weight of injuries, Youth League, etc. and do more harm than good. However, there does seem to be a terrible gap between the youngsters and the first team, and between players coming back from injury and the first team, which can only be filled by a reserve side playing regular competitive football. Might it be an idea to try a reserve side in the first season in the new ground? With some decent facilities and the novelty value it might draw enough people through the turnstiles to make it at least self-financing. Worth a try I would have thought.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users