• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

new ground green options

#21 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 May 2006 - 10:57 AM

Queens Park Leisure Centre have covered their roof in solar panels and there was an article in the Derbyshire Times about it i think. Suspect there must have been some sort of grant or something in place for this to be done.

#22 User is offline   Balearic Mac 

• If you see it, say it...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2006 - 11:18 AM

View Postfrearsghost, on May 20 2006, 07:47 PM, said:

For domestic properties I believe the government gives 50%

I wish the club luck in their dealings with these solar energy companies. I've approached three over the last 9 months for a ball-park figure for kitting my roof out with panels and they've each displayed all the professional attributes of double glazing salesmen. For some reason, they'd prefer to come and camp out in my living room for God knows how long playing a game of cat and mouse.

There may well be grants available, but I suspect these companies are out to make a fast buck. Still, I wouldn't think they'll outmanouevre our Victorian mill-owner in any negotiations.
"and a pair of those Geoff Mitchell glasses, please."

#23 User is offline   lubic 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:09 AM

The DTI's (slightly out of date) website on renewables and grants available

The most up-to-date scheme (as far as I can see)

Document on solar panels and businesses

It turns out that you can sell your electricity back to the national grid. A roof as big as a football stadium covered in solar panels could have quite a high capacity with high usage only once every two weeks - it could therefore even be an effective fund-raising tool.

#24 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:19 PM

View PostPaul, on May 23 2006, 10:09 AM, said:

The DTI's (slightly out of date) website on renewables and grants available

The most up-to-date scheme (as far as I can see)

Document on solar panels and businesses

It turns out that you can sell your electricity back to the national grid. A roof as big as a football stadium covered in solar panels could have quite a high capacity with high usage only once every two weeks - it could therefore even be an effective fund-raising tool.

Any architect worth the name should be incorporating stuff like this into any new scheme - if in fact it isn't already a requirement of the Building Regulations. An even better source of power to sell back would be wind turbines, possibly incorporated in the floodlight designs.

#25 User is offline   lubic 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2006 - 08:29 PM

View Posth again, on May 23 2006, 10:19 PM, said:

Any architect worth the name should be incorporating stuff like this into any new scheme - if in fact it isn't already a requirement of the Building Regulations. An even better source of power to sell back would be wind turbines, possibly incorporated in the floodlight designs.

I don't know the technical details but I'd imagine an area the size of a football stadium roof covered with solar panels would generate more than four wind turbines - you can always guarantee it will be light whereas it can't always be guaranteed to be windy (also, the time when it would generate the most electricty to be sold back would obviously be in the summer because less stuff happens at a club - it tends to be less windy in summer I think). What's more, I'm loth to call them NIMBYS, but big enough wind turbines to generate more than solar panels would draw lots of objections from the neighbours. This is all guess work - I expect the powers that be will base their decisions on facts

Though ****** it, let's have solar panels and windmills.

#26 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 23 May 2006 - 09:50 PM

View Posth again, on May 23 2006, 09:19 PM, said:

I wonder if exercise bikes could be hooked up to generate electricity?. Line 'em up behind a glass screen and cater for them that want to keep fit whilst watching the match. Too far fetched int it?.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#27 User is offline   carlT 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:08 AM

View PostSpired, on May 22 2006, 11:48 AM, said:

We should be able to take advantage of lots of government grants if we are eco-friendly, if we offer facilities for blind / handicapped / disadvantaged individuals and keep on target with our "club the hub" initiative....we would be a benchmark for other clubs to follow suit and would deserve the reward of financial support from the government/lotteries for including these as part of our fixtures.
read last week were we are one of the most enviromentally run town's in the country, solar panals are all over the queen's park leisure centre and the new bus station, this is a really great idea and hope we take it onboard, allsorts of good publicity and help could be had from this.
Ground name The Stadium of Solar panelled Light?

#28 User is offline   InkySpireite 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 24 May 2006 - 09:15 AM

View PostcarlT, on May 24 2006, 10:08 AM, said:

read last week were we are one of the most enviromentally run town's in the country, solar panals are all over the queen's park leisure centre and the new bus station, this is a really great idea and hope we take it onboard, allsorts of good publicity and help could be had from this.
Ground name The Stadium of Solar panelled Light?

Get back to the drawing board for names mate! :P
Spireite till I die...

#29 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 24 May 2006 - 05:04 PM

View PostPaul, on May 22 2006, 11:25 AM, said:

but some of these ideas would give it character. And naming rights have come up recently, who provides Chesterfield's electricity?

the powergen stadium? like it paul.
A new hope.

#30 User is offline   lubic 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2006 - 05:31 PM

View Postdeath, on May 24 2006, 07:04 PM, said:

the powergen stadium? like it paul.

Or (I read a bit more today and asked around at work), since solar panels are most effective on South facing roofs, cover the south stand in solar panels (half paid for by the government, half by powergen) and call it the powergen stand. Someone else can pay for the naming rights for the whole thing.

I'm probably getting a bit (well, a lot) ahead of myself but I hope these options are looked at carefully because electricty companies are crawling over themselves to sponsor these kind of things.

#31 User is offline   spirette 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Spireite through and through

Posted 24 May 2006 - 05:39 PM

View PostPaul, on May 24 2006, 06:31 PM, said:

Or (I read a bit more today and asked around at work), since solar panels are most effective on South facing roofs, cover the south stand in solar panels (half paid for by the government, half by powergen) and call it the powergen stand. Someone else can pay for the naming rights for the whole thing.

I'm probably getting a bit (well, a lot) ahead of myself but I hope these options are looked at carefully because electricty companies are crawling over themselves to sponsor these kind of things.

fair idea
Chesterfield FC: League 2 Champions 2010-2011/2013-2014

#32 User is offline   Fifties Blue 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2006 - 05:50 PM

View Posth again, on May 23 2006, 08:19 PM, said:

At least we would have a roar, but from the wind turbines if not the crowd
And therein lies the problem. They are noisy and it would be 7 days a week not just sat.
I don't think it would ever be allowed in a built up area.
On a more personal note I hate the site of them, but thats just my opinion.More to the point they aren't working all the time and and not one power station can be closed down as a result of having them.

#33 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 24 May 2006 - 06:58 PM

take note the powers that be.
A new hope.

#34 User is offline   skaw 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:41 PM

View PostFifties Blue, on May 24 2006, 06:50 PM, said:

And therein lies the problem. They are noisy and it would be 7 days a week not just sat.
On a more personal note I hate the site of them, but thats just my opinion.More to the point they aren't working all the time and and not one power station can be closed down as a result of having them.

We have one in lboro thats not that noisy and i cant believe the view ruining arguement could be used at all in this scenario. A glassworks has been sat there for ages i kinda think turbines would be more astetically pleasing than that!
This is definately a big earning/publicity opportunity that should be taken advantage of. Preferably both solar and wind get image sponsorship off someone like powergen and sell electricity back to the grid.

#35 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 24 May 2006 - 07:52 PM

View PostFifties Blue, on May 24 2006, 06:50 PM, said:

You don't need the monstrous eyesores that disfigure the countryside - the technology is improving all the time and quite small turbines will do a job. There's a school of thought that wants to put small ones on houses in the near future, which is probably the best place for them - the big horrors around the country are just an expensive joke.

#36 User is offline   Wiltshire Spireite 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2006 - 08:18 PM

View PostTown_Fan, on May 20 2006, 09:08 PM, said:

Are you David Cameron? :rolleyes:

Don't forget secure parking for cycles! How about cheaper tickets for those who come on a bicycle??
This could get the club some publicity! Get Raleigh Bikes to sponsor a stand!

#37 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 25 May 2006 - 06:02 AM

View Posth again, on May 24 2006, 08:52 PM, said:

You don't need the monstrous eyesores that disfigure the countryside - the technology is improving all the time and quite small turbines will do a job. There's a school of thought that wants to put small ones on houses in the near future, which is probably the best place for them - the big horrors around the country are just an expensive joke.

indeed h

each roof having panels, and the south facing outer wall being clad in the panels too. throw in small turbines, it could make a mint.
A new hope.

#38 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 25 May 2006 - 03:25 PM

I don't know how flimsy these units are, but presumably they would need protecting from being struck by a ball.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#39 User is offline   Balearic Mac 

• If you see it, say it...
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2006 - 03:30 PM

View Postdim view, on May 23 2006, 10:50 PM, said:

I wonder if exercise bikes could be hooked up to generate electricity?. Line 'em up behind a glass screen and cater for them that want to keep fit whilst watching the match. Too far fetched int it?.

We could always recruit Peter Beagrie. His dug-out cycling routine would keep the floolights going single-handed.......
"and a pair of those Geoff Mitchell glasses, please."

#40 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 25 May 2006 - 09:27 PM

View PostBalearic Mac, on May 25 2006, 06:30 PM, said:

We could always recruit Peter Beagrie. His dug-out cycling routine would keep the floolights going single-handed.......

Peter Beagrie`s exhuded self esteem would be enough to power the new stadiums whole electricity needs for the next 17 seasons!!
Man`s an ar53, sooner pay British gas for my home energy bills.

Mr Mercury

This post has been edited by Mr Mercury: 25 May 2006 - 09:27 PM

East stand second class citizen.

Share this topic:

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users