Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: The Unforgiven Match Thread. - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (13 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Unforgiven Match Thread.

#201 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 October 2021 - 09:53 AM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 24 October 2021 - 09:13 AM, said:

I meant "ordinary" in the sense there wasn't the fluency of some games, Dave.

But yeah, that was probably because it was a bit of a "battle". Which, as you quite rightly say, we won.

It can be easily argued we overcame another obstacle, too - seeing out the nervous ninety-plus minutes!

Infact as both my visits this season saw last gasp kicks in the knackers, I can turn up in future with conscience clear...

We are always going to get adversity, we're town aren't we, but it's how you deal with adversity that matters and this squad does seem capable of doing that quite well.

There does seem to be a level of togetherness in the squad the likes of which I haven't witnessed for a number of seasons.

The pleasing thing for me, yesterday, was that I didn't hear a single voice of abuse being directed at any chosen player in our team only shouts of encouragement.

#202 User is online   metallilad 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 24 October 2021 - 09:56 AM

View Postdtp, on 24 October 2021 - 09:53 AM, said:

We are always going to get adversity, we're town aren't we, but it's how you deal with adversity that matters and this squad does seem capable of doing that quite well.

There does seem to be a level of togetherness in the squad the likes of which I haven't witnessed for a number of seasons.

The pleasing thing for me, yesterday, was that I didn't hear a single voice of abuse being directed at any chosen player in our team only shouts of encouragement.

Good job you weren't sat near me when Loach let that ball through his hands then. But I forgave him in the end.
Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#203 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 24 October 2021 - 11:21 AM

A rare word of praise for the ref. After his misreading of the Evans-Miller incident I thought he was superb. He had an air of authority, no hints of hesitancy we often see in decision making which probably nullified the chance of underhandedness. A very good performance long may it continue.

Another pleasing aspect was with 2 potential volatile technical areas, it was more like a Sunday school outing, 'dimming all views'😉 of a full scale war. Why? Well apparently there were 6 officials officially appointed to the game, the 4 on field and 2 in the stands an assesser and an observer. Has someone at NL.HQ actually got their brain in gear?

A so far unmentioned highlight. With McCourt down injured Whittle runs across the pitch to the technical area. Gav follows him and aggressively asks :what are you doing?"
Whittle " I want a drink"
Gav " you don't need a f.....g drink get back over there"
Whittle drops the bottle and disappears.
Top captaincy,Gav.
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#204 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 24 October 2021 - 11:25 AM

View Postmetallilad, on 24 October 2021 - 09:56 AM, said:

Good job you weren't sat near me when Loach let that ball through his hands then. But I forgave him in the end.

In fairness to Loach it was far more windy than it appeared at times, and with the balls about as heavy as beach balls nowadays it could well have been one of those speculative punts that moved about all over the place?
East stand second class citizen.

#205 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 24 October 2021 - 11:28 AM

View PostPontePete, on 23 October 2021 - 09:58 AM, said:

I wouldn’t mind having a read of that actually, remember reading the bits that were serialised in the crooked Spireite many years ago

Or was it the snippets that Radders wrote in there that led to the writing of the book?

You're welcome to the loan of the book. Just be mindful I wouldn't like to think that it was consigned to a life in Yorkshire for the rest of its life.
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Again

#206 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 24 October 2021 - 11:39 AM

View Postclarevoyant., on 24 October 2021 - 11:21 AM, said:

A rare word of praise for the ref. After his misreading of the Evans-Miller incident I thought he was superb. He had an air of authority, no hints of hesitancy we often see in decision making which probably nullified the chance of underhandedness. A very good performance long may it continue.

Another pleasing aspect was with 2 potential volatile technical areas, it was more like a Sunday school outing, 'dimming all views'😉 of a full scale war. Why? Well apparently there were 6 officials officially appointed to the game, the 4 on field and 2 in the stands an assesser and an observer. Has someone at NL.HQ actually got their brain in gear?

A so far unmentioned highlight. With McCourt down injured Whittle runs across the pitch to the technical area. Gav follows him and aggressively asks :what are you doing?"
Whittle " I want a drink"
Gav " you don't need a f.....g drink get back over there"
Whittle drops the bottle and disappears.
Top captaincy,Gav.

The Ref was terrific - an object leson in how to control a potentially ugly game. What he didn't have to contend with was time-wsting tactics, which usually finds them out, but he looked quite capable of sorting that if necessary.

#207 User is offline   PontePete 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2021 - 11:54 AM

View Postclarevoyant., on 24 October 2021 - 11:28 AM, said:

You're welcome to the loan of the book. Just be mindful I wouldn't like to think that it was consigned to a life in Yorkshire for the rest of its life.

Perish the thought.

Thank you my good man, I shall pm you now. I know the pm on here can be a bit hit and miss, so if it doesn’t come through if you could let me have an email or something and I can drop you a line that way.

Cheers
Hater of all things Scab!

#208 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 24 October 2021 - 12:06 PM

I've got it too and can take it along Tuesday if you're coming down.

#209 User is offline   PontePete 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2021 - 12:35 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 24 October 2021 - 12:06 PM, said:

I am Tim yes. Happy for the borrow from either of you, thank you. Will either of you be going in the glass works or the donkey derby before or after the match on Tuesday?

Clarevoyant - my pm to you doesn’t seem to have worked. I sent it but it’s not showing as a conversation in messenger

This post has been edited by PontePete: 24 October 2021 - 12:36 PM

#210 User is offline   monte 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2021 - 12:47 PM

View Posth again, on 24 October 2021 - 11:39 AM, said:

The Ref was terrific - an object leson in how to control a potentially ugly game. What he didn't have to contend with was time-wsting tactics, which usually finds them out, but he looked quite capable of sorting that if necessary.

I'd say he was good for our level. But constantly let them gain yards from throws but called our lot back

Also that penalty was very generous I'd have been furious if it was given against us

#211 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2021 - 01:01 PM

View Postmetallilad, on 24 October 2021 - 09:56 AM, said:

Obviously, there were comments about that particular incident just like there were very complimentary comments about the fine save he made in the first half along with the way he caught and dealt with a number of crosses.

No, my point was that in previous times certain players have come in for abuse before a ball has been kicked, during the game, and then after it has ended as if any adverse result was solely the fault of the chosen targeted player.

#212 User is offline   Lincs Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2021 - 01:17 PM

View Postmonte, on 24 October 2021 - 08:14 AM, said:

I thought he was faking it, he did this last time we were on top and it was amazing how he could job to get the ball but not kick it etc.

If he was injured then fair play to him.

I wasn't impressed with one of the chants from the Kop one of them sounded like he was being called a fat black b****** ? I really hope it wasn't that, most just sounded like he was being called fat etc.

My lad said did you hear that from the kop, I said what, he said they were singing ' Will Evans you're a sh*t Gav Gunning '

#213 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 24 October 2021 - 01:42 PM

View Postmonte, on 24 October 2021 - 08:14 AM, said:

I thought he was faking it, he did this last time we were on top and it was amazing how he could job to get the ball but not kick it etc.

If he was injured then fair play to him.

I wasn't impressed with one of the chants from the Kop one of them sounded like he was being called a fat black b****** ? I really hope it wasn't that, most just sounded like he was being called fat etc.

1. He was clearly injured.
2. I can't believe you think there might be a chant like that.

#214 User is offline   Benno Spire 

• Prediction Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post
  • Interests:Working hard and playing hard

Posted 24 October 2021 - 03:06 PM

Did anyone else notice the large amount of unpunished foul throws yesterday, especially Chesterfield players
Have passport will travel

#215 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 24 October 2021 - 03:13 PM

View PostBenno Spire, on 24 October 2021 - 03:06 PM, said:

Did anyone else notice the large amount of unpunished foul throws yesterday, especially Chesterfield players

Astonishing amount, mentioned likewise on here about the Euros this summer, does that rule still apply?
East stand second class citizen.

#216 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 24 October 2021 - 03:23 PM

Yes. Probably 50% of them. I can't help say it every time too.

#217 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 24 October 2021 - 03:27 PM

King does look very Yarneyesque in that respect.
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Again

#218 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 24 October 2021 - 04:00 PM

I commented on the same thing yesterday - it's almost as if the throw-in rules have been removed from the book. The other one is that there appears to be no obstruction rule these days. Defenders continually block attackers with their bodies in order to let the ball run out for a goal kick, with no intention whatsoever of playing the ball. I haven't seen a free kick given in those situations for years. If anything, refs tend to give a free kick against the attacker for pushing the defender who's blatantly blocking him off, and making absolutely no effort to play the ball.

#219 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 24 October 2021 - 04:30 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 24 October 2021 - 01:42 PM, said:

He was clearly injured.

If they hadn't been losing there would have been a 7+ minute break for treatment

#220 User is offline   PontePete 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 October 2021 - 04:38 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 24 October 2021 - 12:06 PM, said:

Tried to PM you Tim but it says you can’t receive any new messages?

Share this topic:

• (13 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users