• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wrexham Game

#401 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 23 January 2021 - 11:06 PM

View PostSiberian Spireite, on 23 January 2021 - 10:55 PM, said:

Having watched Wrexham this season and last at our place, I can’t see how Dean Keates will keep his job for long if these actors take over, if that is his approach to football.

I've taken a look at their message board tonight, they are less than complimentary, one saying its the worst Wrexham team he's ever seen

#402 User is offline   jack bauer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 January 2021 - 11:12 PM

View Postbucko, on 23 January 2021 - 10:07 PM, said:

If Denton is out for a while , we need another forward to play with Asante.

Dinnanga needs a goal, he's lively but 3 games and not seen him get a strike away.

i'm certain i saw boden was present at the game today, think it was at full time he was in the footage, if correct he is not one of the players in isolation, that suggests he is not part of the plan???

#403 User is offline   LondonBlue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 23 January 2021 - 11:17 PM

View Postjack bauer, on 23 January 2021 - 11:12 PM, said:

i'm certain i saw boden was present at the game today, think it was at full time he was in the footage, if correct he is not one of the players in isolation, that suggests he is not part of the plan???

Whether Boden leaves or not none of us can guess - but he doesn't exactly fit the high press mould that Rowe seems to go for.

Add to that his lack of confidence and lost mojo - I can't see him playing a major role for us even if he does stay. It speaks volumes that Rowe chose to put both Rowley and Mandeville on the bench ahead of him.

#404 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 January 2021 - 11:28 PM

View Postmoondog, on 23 January 2021 - 11:06 PM, said:

I've taken a look at their message board tonight, they are less than complimentary, one saying its the worst Wrexham team he's ever seen

Yeah, pretty downbeat for an outfit just outside the playoffs and about to go Hollywood.

But fans tend to know best.

Still think it was a test passed by an emerging Town team lacking first choice players and with two debutants, though.

Negative football or not they were a settled side sitting above us.

They can have their superstar takeover - we've got the momentum...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#405 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 23 January 2021 - 11:33 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 23 January 2021 - 11:28 PM, said:

Yeah, pretty downbeat for an outfit just outside the playoffs and about to go Hollywood.

Still think it was a test passed by an emerging Town team lacking first choice players and with two debutants, though.

We played them at the right time, a disguised 6 pointer given the changes including the manager that will come in due course

#406 User is offline   jack bauer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 January 2021 - 11:42 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 23 January 2021 - 11:28 PM, said:

momentum is a wonderful thing when it is heading in the right direction, so to hit the question head on, are we going for promotion this season? lots of reasons to not dare even think it but when we're talking over recent weeks of needing a keeper to get us those extra points, when people are concerned that without AA do we have enough strike power in reserve, in reserve for what, clearly we're not fighting a relegation battle any more, so is that we all think its on but dare not say so?

#407 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 23 January 2021 - 11:55 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 23 January 2021 - 09:17 PM, said:

Has any CFC player started with a better record than 5 goals in their first 4 home league goals?

Doubt it, seeing as it’s impossible.

Doubt anyone has 5 goals in their first 4 home league games either...

😉

This post has been edited by Sammy Spireite: 23 January 2021 - 11:57 PM

#408 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 24 January 2021 - 06:45 AM

View Postdtp, on 23 January 2021 - 09:17 PM, said:

I suspect Gunning is gunning for Evans's place.

But, in reality, we really did need another CB as we needed proper cover in that department.

We might see outgoings first but the only area I see we need a bit extra in is up front if Boden is out of the equation and Denton is out for a while. Whether Tyson is the man remains to be seen.

Whether Denton is the man remains to be seen. You can't play football like that with Denton in the team.

The manager has a pleasant selection headache now. If he plays 4-4-2 to accommodate Taylor, then Whelan might be first choice alongside Asante. He's got a bit of Dalglish about him.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#409 User is offline   bucko 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2021 - 08:36 AM

View Postjack bauer, on 23 January 2021 - 11:42 PM, said:

momentum is a wonderful thing when it is heading in the right direction, so to hit the question head on, are we going for promotion this season? lots of reasons to not dare even think it but when we're talking over recent weeks of needing a keeper to get us those extra points, when people are concerned that without AA do we have enough strike power in reserve, in reserve for what, clearly we're not fighting a relegation battle any more, so is that we all think its on but dare not say so?

If we keep playing like we are and keep key players fit then we will go up this season.
Torquay are not out of reach!!!

#410 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:14 AM

You don't completely overhaul a squad mid-season if you're not going for promotion.

But whilst we celebrate yesterday's win there were lessons to be learned - in short who's gonna score if both Assante and Denton are absent?

Especially if rumours of Boden's imminent exit are accurate.

Maybe Dinnanga will turn effort into outcome - without being too tough too soon a striker's supposed to strike - whilst there're early suggestions Rowley can adapt. And of course our midfield certainly have goals in them.

Either way the narrative has turned from how we avoid relegation to how we go up on the space of six short weeks (a fact focussed upon by a Wrexham forum crying out for change).

Suddenly it's good to be a Spireite again...

This post has been edited by The Earl of Chesterfield: 24 January 2021 - 09:18 AM

#411 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:17 AM

View Postbucko, on 24 January 2021 - 08:36 AM, said:

If we keep playing like we are and keep key players fit then we will go up this season.
Torquay are not out of reach!!!

Torquay are a good stretch ahead, even with our couple of games in hand, also there's another 11 teams between us to overtake for that top spot, I'd be amazed if we reached that. On the other hand a top seven place is massively achievable.
East stand second class citizen.

#412 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:24 AM

View PostMr Mercury, on 24 January 2021 - 09:17 AM, said:

Torquay are a good stretch ahead, even with our couple of games in hand, also there's another 11 teams between us to overtake for that top spot, I'd be amazed if we reached that. On the other hand a top seven place is massively achievable.

The division is mental, before yesterday’s games, every team including Yeovil in 20th would be in the play off spots if they win their games in hand!

I know that’s impossible, but it shows how close it is and the teams with squads big enough to cope with the build up of games should benefit.

Torquay are out of our reach though, unless they go on a run of caldwell-esque proportions!

#413 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:31 AM

View PostMr Mercury, on 24 January 2021 - 09:17 AM, said:

As long as the season continues i believe we will take top spot on the last game of the season...

Gotta have summat to dream about.
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#414 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:34 AM

I don’t think Dinanga’s stats will make good reading and we know Rowe loves his stats. Very low number of penalty box entries and has he had a single shot on target yet?

This post has been edited by Goku: 24 January 2021 - 10:31 AM

#415 User is online   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Zzz

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:48 AM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 24 January 2021 - 09:24 AM, said:

The division is mental, before yesterday’s games, every team including Yeovil in 20th would be in the play off spots if they win their games in hand!

I know that’s impossible, but it shows how close it is and the teams with squads big enough to cope with the build up of games should benefit.

Torquay are out of our reach though, unless they go on a run of caldwell-esque proportions!

Not so. 28 games left. We have every chance with to the depth we have.

View PostGoku, on 24 January 2021 - 09:34 AM, said:

I don’t think Dinanga’s stats will make good reading and we know Rowe loves his shots. Very low number of penalty box entries and has he had a single shot on target yet?

His header in to the top corner

This post has been edited by Trigger: 24 January 2021 - 09:49 AM

Here we go again!

#416 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:48 AM

View Postdim view, on 24 January 2021 - 06:45 AM, said:

Whether Denton is the man remains to be seen. You can't play football like that with Denton in the team.

The manager has a pleasant selection headache now. If he plays 4-4-2 to accommodate Taylor, then Whelan might be first choice alongside Asante. He's got a bit of Dalglish about him.

Don't agree with the 'can't play football like that with Denton on the side', Dave.

Infact I'd argue he'd benefit it, being a target man in the box and attracting defenders so giving space to others.

There's an ongoing debate whether Denton's a starter or a finisher, but what there's no debate about is he offers a credible option...

#417 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:50 AM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 24 January 2021 - 09:14 AM, said:

You don't completely overhaul a squad mid-season if you're not going for promotion.

But whilst we celebrate yesterday's win there were lessons to be learned - in short who's gonna score if both Assante and Denton are absent?

Especially if rumours of Boden's imminent exit are accurate.

Maybe Dinnanga will turn effort into outcome - without being too tough too soon a striker's supposed to strike - whilst there're early suggestions Rowley can adapt. And of course our midfield certainly have goals in them.

Either way the narrative has turned from how we avoid relegation to how we go up on the space of six short weeks (a fact focussed upon by a Wrexham forum crying out for change).

Suddenly it's good to be a Spireite again...

Assuming the season is allowed to conclude there's a hell of a lot of football to be played. With the advantages we now enjoy it would be a major surprise for me if we weren't to finish in top 7 now.

#418 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:53 AM

View PostGoku, on 24 January 2021 - 09:34 AM, said:

I don’t think Dinanga’s stats will make good reading and we know Rowe loves his shots. Very low number of penalty box entries and has he had a single shot on target yet?

I said yesterday that he doesn't look like someone who naturally fits the role he's given in the this formation. Him and Asante don't look a good fit together as a partnership and whilst that's neither's fault and isn't beyond repair it won't have escaped Rowe.

There was a moment yesterday that summed it up - there was a rare moment they were close on the field as we broke in a promising position and a communication breakdown meant possession was tamely surrendered.

#419 User is offline   Lincs Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:55 AM

View Postmoondog, on 23 January 2021 - 11:06 PM, said:

I'd be surprised if their manager lasts the week out. They will have seen what a new manager has done for us and want him gone. Along with bringing lots of new players in too of course now they have some investment.

#420 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 24 January 2021 - 09:59 AM

Torkey have taken 8 points from there last 6, we have took 13, so on that form we could catch them before March, we currently sit 2nd in the current form table, torkey sit 12th, .. the only team above us are unbeaten in their last 6, with 14 points are... Boreham Wood...
Big game Tuesday.

This post has been edited by spireitetoo: 24 January 2021 - 10:00 AM

all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

Share this topic:

• (25 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users