Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Impact Of Covid-19, Barnet Fc - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Impact Of Covid-19, Barnet Fc

#161 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:51 AM

Hats off to Aldi.

Just done my government advised one shopping trip of the week and found two blokes on the doors ensuring a one out, one in policy. Alongside one trolley each (though for some reason there were still pairs of people going around) and only four of any item per trolley.

Okay, a queue 'round the corner, but it meant the shelves were well stacked with pretty much everything I needed.

Other than the women next to me in the queue blaming immigrants for the crisis (I didn't waste my time explaining how many of those ensuring she got her shop and the NHS was still operating - literally - are immigrants) it restored a degree of sanity to the situation...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#162 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2020 - 10:59 AM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 26 March 2020 - 09:45 AM, said:

No we are saying where possible use contactless and even then gel your hands when you come out the shop

You can only use contactless if you spend under £30.

I live 7 miles out of town. It is not practical for me to jog into town and do my shopping at my age - I could put more pressure on the NHS if I collapse.

Neither does it make sense for me to do several shops when one will do. During this time it is logical that we leave the home as little as possible and not keep on nipping out to the shops. So one shop every week, or more, is better than several.

#163 User is online   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:06 AM

No we are saying where possible use contactless and even then gel your hands when you come out the shop

Sure i read they are raising the limit for contactless from £30 to £45 to allow for more contactless payments.

#164 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2020 - 11:42 AM

View PostJonB, on 26 March 2020 - 11:06 AM, said:

Sure i read they are raising the limit for contactless from £30 to £45 to allow for more contactless payments.

The Banks will be moving in haste to help with this won't they? £45 is hardly enough for a weekly shop. To help with the emergency why not increase it to £100 overnight?

Just like they are doing their bit with coronavirus 80% government backed loans to businesses. They are looking for personal guarantees from business owners on top of the security of the business assets in addition to the 80% cover provided by the government. Talk about putting stumbling blocks in the way of actually doing something quickly when it is needed. They seem to have very short memories!!!!!

Another one. Do you think there is any chance of the Water Companies reducing their prices as demand increases whilst everybody is washing their hands more frequently even though their stocks are very high after the rainfall we've had this winter? There have been complaints about the little man profiteering but maybe this is taking place on a bigger scale.

#165 User is online   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:12 PM

View Postdtp, on 26 March 2020 - 11:42 AM, said:

Another one. Do you think there is any chance of the Water Companies reducing their prices as demand increases whilst everybody is washing their hands more frequently even though their stocks are very high after the rainfall we've had this winter? There have been complaints about the little man profiteering but maybe this is taking place on a bigger scale.

Can probably add in the additonal electricity from home working, for example we have two laptops and two monitors on the go all day now, along with any additional gas for heating as whilst the weather is better folk may still need to heat homes at times when they would normally be at work.

#166 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 26 March 2020 - 01:40 PM

View Postdtp, on 26 March 2020 - 11:42 AM, said:

The Banks will be moving in haste to help with this won't they? £45 is hardly enough for a weekly shop. To help with the emergency why not increase it to £100 overnight?

Just like they are doing their bit with coronavirus 80% government backed loans to businesses. They are looking for personal guarantees from business owners on top of the security of the business assets in addition to the 80% cover provided by the government. Talk about putting stumbling blocks in the way of actually doing something quickly when it is needed. They seem to have very short memories!!!!!

Google and ApplePay limits aren't restricted so a good reason to download and set up those at the moment.

In fairness my employer is cancelling all overdraft fees and not raising rates as planned for at least 3 months so it's a positive gesture whether you are critical or banks or not.

#167 User is online   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:08 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 26 March 2020 - 01:40 PM, said:

Google and ApplePay limits aren't restricted so a good reason to download and set up those at the moment.

Which makes it an all the more annoying time for Apple Pay to go belly up on my phone. Its an old iPhone 6S and think its actually the hardware inside thats stopped working more than a software issue.

#168 User is offline   DerbySpireite59 

• DerbySpireite57
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:39 PM

Thanks EEE. Saved me replying. Holes in walls are disappearing fast as it is. This might just accelerate their disappearance.
"No one is 100% good, nor 100% evil"

#169 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2020 - 02:50 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 26 March 2020 - 01:40 PM, said:

In fairness my employer is cancelling all overdraft fees and not raising rates as planned for at least 3 months so it's a positive gesture whether you are critical or banks or not.

I don't own an IPhone and never will - they are far to expensive - so ApplePay is out.

Good of your Bank, eh! What percentage over base rate do they charge for overdrafts? Then, heavens forbid they are putting off increasing their margins even further for a whole 3 months. Bank Rate has just gone down to it's lowest rate ever. Even if they don't increase their overdraft rates their margins have increased already, logically!!!

Then being a pensioner in my mid 70s I am possibly more IT literate than some at my age but no were near as you young whipper snappers. So, why should I, and others, have to explore other avenues when the Bank's have the ability to deal with it themselves?

We are in a national emergency and the Banks, as is normal, are moving at the pace of a snail in reverse. They will dot every "i" and cross every "t" whilst making sure they cover their own aris's, take minimal risk, and sit back and watch companies die. I've worked with Banks all my life and would say they have done nothing but go backwards since they got rid of the good old fashioned local bank manager.

#170 User is offline   hewittfan 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2020 - 03:13 PM

View PostJonB, on 26 March 2020 - 11:06 AM, said:

Yes, I read that too, from April I think (it’s definitely not gone up yet).

#171 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 26 March 2020 - 04:33 PM

View Postdtp, on 26 March 2020 - 02:50 PM, said:

I don't own an IPhone and never will - they are far to expensive - so ApplePay is out.

Good of your Bank, eh! What percentage over base rate do they charge for overdrafts? Then, heavens forbid they are putting off increasing their margins even further for a whole 3 months. Bank Rate has just gone down to it's lowest rate ever. Even if they don't increase their overdraft rates their margins have increased already, logically!!!

Then being a pensioner in my mid 70s I am possibly more IT literate than some at my age but no were near as you young whipper snappers. So, why should I, and others, have to explore other avenues when the Bank's have the ability to deal with it themselves?

We are in a national emergency and the Banks, as is normal, are moving at the pace of a snail in reverse. They will dot every "i" and cross every "t" whilst making sure they cover their own aris's, take minimal risk, and sit back and watch companies die. I've worked with Banks all my life and would say they have done nothing but go backwards since they got rid of the good old fashioned local bank manager.

Apple Pay may be but GooglePay is compatible with most Android Smartphones.

I'm sure the banks would argue that the cost of providing personal overdraft facilities has little to do the with the BoE base rate.

#172 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2020 - 06:06 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 26 March 2020 - 04:33 PM, said:

Apple Pay may be but GooglePay is compatible with most Android Smartphones.

I'm sure the banks would argue that the cost of providing personal overdraft facilities has little to do the with the BoE base rate.

So, your first answer means sort it out yourself because the Bank's won't - very friendly.

And, your second answer really means "of course they would" but take away all the add-ons like insurance etc which they try to sell you their initiial core business was about lending money out at a higher rate than they borrow it from investors. The gap in the rates in which they pay interest to those with money on deposit with them and that which they charge to those in debt to them remains wide. The way they no longer grant overdrafts to businesses but prefer fixed term loans and confidential invoice discounting etc instead only makes it more expensive for business but more profitable for the bank.

#173 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 26 March 2020 - 07:55 PM

Are any banks scrapping overdraft fees unconditionally in the short term?

#174 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 26 March 2020 - 08:08 PM

View Postdtp, on 26 March 2020 - 06:06 PM, said:

So, your first answer means sort it out yourself because the Bank's won't - very friendly.

And, your second answer really means "of course they would" but take away all the add-ons like insurance etc which they try to sell you their initiial core business was about lending money out at a higher rate than they borrow it from investors. The gap in the rates in which they pay interest to those with money on deposit with them and that which they charge to those in debt to them remains wide. The way they no longer grant overdrafts to businesses but prefer fixed term loans and confidential invoice discounting etc instead only makes it more expensive for business but more profitable for the bank.

What do you mean 'sort it out yourself'? What precisely are you wanting?

View PostSpire-Power, on 26 March 2020 - 07:55 PM, said:

Are any banks scrapping overdraft fees unconditionally in the short term?

I doubt it.

#175 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 March 2020 - 09:15 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 26 March 2020 - 08:08 PM, said:

What do you mean 'sort it out yourself'? What precisely are you wanting?

I doubt it.

I think the Bank's should be more pro-active in respect of "contactless" use at this time if "contactless" is the most hygienic way to pay. As I've said £30 is useless if we are trying to stay at home and do a maximum of one shop a week. I'd like to think the Bank's show more concern for the health of their customers than for the health of their Balance Sheets in a national emergency and give something back for being bailed out by the taxpayers (their customers) during the financial crash in which they played quite a large part.

So, what I mean by "sort it out yourself" is that the Bank's have done nothing to increase contactless limits so in other words they are leaving it to their customers "to sort it out themselves", as advised by you, and download GooglePay. Very thoughtful when some old people can't use a mobile phone or only use one for making phone calls, certainly don't know how to download an app (my wife falls into that category) and would not necessarily trust it if they did.

I hope that makes myself clear and sorry you didn't understand in the first place.

#176 User is offline   plannerj 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC and many other things!

Posted 27 March 2020 - 07:04 AM

View Postdtp, on 26 March 2020 - 09:15 PM, said:

I think the Bank's should be more pro-active in respect of "contactless" use at this time if "contactless" is the most hygienic way to pay. As I've said £30 is useless if we are trying to stay at home and do a maximum of one shop a week. I'd like to think the Bank's show more concern for the health of their customers than for the health of their Balance Sheets in a national emergency and give something back for being bailed out by the taxpayers (their customers) during the financial crash in which they played quite a large part.

So, what I mean by "sort it out yourself" is that the Bank's have done nothing to increase contactless limits so in other words they are leaving it to their customers "to sort it out themselves", as advised by you, and download GooglePay. Very thoughtful when some old people can't use a mobile phone or only use one for making phone calls, certainly don't know how to download an app (my wife falls into that category) and would not necessarily trust it if they did.

I hope that makes myself clear and sorry you didn't understand in the first place.

There’s an easy way for a willing retailer to overcome the £30 limit if it chooses to do so. Simply pause the transaction as the £30 limit approaches, take the card payment, resume, take the card payment. Why can’t that work in a time of crisis?

#177 User is offline   erniemossity 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Beer, town, decent boozers

Posted 27 March 2020 - 09:33 AM

View Postplannerj, on 27 March 2020 - 07:04 AM, said:

There’s an easy way for a willing retailer to overcome the £30 limit if it chooses to do so. Simply pause the transaction as the £30 limit approaches, take the card payment, resume, take the card payment. Why can’t that work in a time of crisis?

Depending on the bank, some have software in place to stop multiple transactions within say a minute from the same card and terminal. I agree it’s a good way around it, but banks are so obsessed with anti fraud measures these days that they are no longer objective.

#178 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:25 AM

Just had a ( long) paper sent via a football medical WhatsApp group stating recomendations for restart of football not before 2021 citing player welfare.
:-o

#179 User is offline   Benno Spire 

• Prediction Guru
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post
  • Interests:Working hard and playing hard

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:41 AM

When football eventually restarts players and managers will start complaining about being tired playing 2 games a week.
But sorry, they need a reality check as to what tired is, how many footballers have volunteered their time to the NHS?
Some players might benefit from motivational talks from frontline NHS staff to get a real understanding of what being tired really is and putting your life on the line for your job.
Have passport will travel

#180 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:56 AM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 26 March 2020 - 10:51 AM, said:

Hats off to Aldi.

Just done my government advised one shopping trip of the week and found two blokes on the doors ensuring a one out, one in policy. Alongside one trolley each (though for some reason there were still pairs of people going around) and only four of any item per trolley.

Okay, a queue 'round the corner, but it meant the shelves were well stacked with pretty much everything I needed.

Other than the women next to me in the queue blaming immigrants for the crisis (I didn't waste my time explaining how many of those ensuring she got her shop and the NHS was still operating - literally - are immigrants) it restored a degree of sanity to the situation...

I had a similar positive experience in Aldi, Belper. Short time queuing to be waved in and most people trying to keep a sensible distance inside. One lass working there put a packing knife straight through a box of Stella and as she stood there trying to stem the lager fountain, informed me that she was at the start of a 10-hour shift and would smell like she'd been drinking.
These go to eleven.

Share this topic:

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users