• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Aldershot Thread

#141 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:33 AM

View PostGoku, on 20 January 2019 - 11:17 AM, said:

when you list it out like this it really does hit home how abysmal Martin Allen was for us. Beyond dreadful.

Yes hard to disagree with that, also the constant chopping and changing of the team. Maybe the players looked so poor quite simply because they hadn't got a clue what they be doing from one week to the next. They could have been out shopping with the missus one Saturday then the main man in the team the following Tuesday. Muddled to say the least
East stand second class citizen.

#142 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 20 January 2019 - 11:48 AM

He turned out to be a busted flush

#143 User is offline   Between The Sticks 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2019 - 12:13 PM

View PostJonno, on 20 January 2019 - 09:34 AM, said:

Just reflecting on yesterday’s win. It was a really professional performance and to be honest we never really looked in danger.

Jalal looks assured in the nets despite having missed such a large portion of the season, good presence and worked well with the defence who had their attackers pretty much covered.

Highlight for me was Weston and Weir in the middle - they hassled and battled for everything and to be honest, bossed it (Smith too). Weston looked much more lively than most of this season, played forward and knocked in a brilliant corner for Evans to put us 1-up.

Shaw ran all day (as per) and we looked dangerous with him and Kiwomya pushing down either channel. We seemed to play a bit wider and we stretched them.

I know he’s not the most popular but think Fortuné deserves credit for his performance. He holds the ball up really well and brings players into the game. Very classy and can be a bit of a luxury at this level when we’re not playing particularly well but if we’re looking confident and moving the ball fast he adds a lot to the side.

Overall a top performance albeit against a side who struggled and look pretty bereft of ideas. Nevertheless we dictated the game when we went 1-up and we haven’t seen that much this season. You wouldn’t think we were in the relegation zone based on that showing. Bring on Barra!

Whats my German Shepherd (BARA) got to do with it unless you want more dog sh**e on the pitch.

This post has been edited by Between The Sticks: 20 January 2019 - 12:16 PM

#144 User is offline   Essex_Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2019 - 12:13 PM

Thought we were excellent yesterday and full value for the 3 points. Weir and Fortune were very good. Evans, great performance from him.

Was very refreshing to see us playing some football on the deck. Some of the football at times was exceptional, when working it into the box. With a goalscorer I think we could have had 5 easily.
Essex Spireite

#145 User is offline   Zytok 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2019 - 02:33 PM

Abarth

#146 User is offline   valemadness 

• Chief Stalker
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:SPIREITES ;oD

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:23 PM

Jalal had conceded 13 goals in 5 games, that's part of the reason he was dropped

#147 User is offline   bucko 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2019 - 05:58 PM

View Postvalemadness, on 20 January 2019 - 05:23 PM, said:

Jalal had conceded 13 goals in 5 games, that's part of the reason he was dropped

Do you know that for certain or are you putting 2 and 2 together and it's your opinion.

Having spoken to Jalal at length he didn't feel it was anything to do with performance as to why he was dropped.
He didn't agree with MA's managerial footballing methods so was frozen out.

This post has been edited by bucko: 20 January 2019 - 06:04 PM

#148 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:00 PM

Was gonna say, how many of those goals were Jalal’s fault? Just because a keeper is conceding goals doesn’t make them a bad keeper or necessarily at fault.

#149 User is offline   Toddhopper. 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:03 PM

when you list it out like this it really does hit home how abysmal Martin Allen was for us. Beyond dreadful.

Great bloke, but talked big & then got desperate when it didn't happen. In the end, yes, it was a terrible mess.

#150 User is offline   danblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:22 PM

View PostGoku, on 20 January 2019 - 06:00 PM, said:

Was gonna say, how many of those goals were Jalal’s fault? Just because a keeper is conceding goals doesn’t make them a bad keeper or necessarily at fault.

I think it was what was in front of him TBH.
No organisation, no communication and just rank bad defending.
Remember the goal when he and Binnon collided on edge of area.
Hard to forget!

#151 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:47 PM

View PostGoku, on 20 January 2019 - 06:00 PM, said:

Exactly. Burton’s ‘keeper the other week played well and shipped 9. Just the way it goes sometimes.

There was one at Dagenham where he was caught in no man’s land and made it easy for the forward to put it over him. Apart from that I don’t recall seeing a clear error that led to a goal.

#152 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 20 January 2019 - 06:55 PM

View Postdanblue, on 20 January 2019 - 06:22 PM, said:

I think it was what was in front of him TBH.
No organisation, no communication and just rank bad defending.
Remember the goal when he and Binnon collided on edge of area.
Hard to forget!

Jalal had an absolute stinker against Maidenhead. Collided with Binman, as you say, for the first, didn't know whether to come or not for the second (Nelson very much at fault too) and dropped their third at their man's feet.

Still, he's experienced enough to bounce back and if he's a steady pair of hands and a calming presence, great- we haven't really had a decent older head in nets since Tommy Lee.
These go to eleven.

#153 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:07 PM

View PostSiberian Spireite, on 20 January 2019 - 06:55 PM, said:

Jalal had an absolute stinker against Maidenhead. Collided with Binman, as you say, for the first, didn't know whether to come or not for the second (Nelson very much at fault too) and dropped their third at their man's feet.

Still, he's experienced enough to bounce back and if he's a steady pair of hands and a calming presence, great- we haven't really had a decent older head in nets since Tommy Lee.

I obviously avoided the highlights of that one 😂

#154 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:35 PM

View Posthewittfan, on 19 January 2019 - 04:35 PM, said:

303 Spireites here today.

305 we had home end tickets to save walking up that B****Y hill to get in. Might add it was with their consent.
God I hate this league.

#155 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:39 PM

View PostEssex_Spireite, on 20 January 2019 - 12:13 PM, said:

Thought we were excellent yesterday and full value for the 3 points. Weir and Fortune were very good. Evans, great performance from him.

Was very refreshing to see us playing some football on the deck. Some of the football at times was exceptional, when working it into the box. With a goalscorer I think we could have had 5 easily.

A dose of reality - All their strikers were injured but they managed to create 2/3 good chances, Our play was miles better with positional interchange and we were good value for the 2-0
God I hate this league.

#156 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:43 PM

View PostDIFH, on 20 January 2019 - 07:35 PM, said:

305 we had home end tickets to save walking up that B****Y hill to get in. Might add it was with their consent.

They just don’t expect a kick off in the over 89s section even when it’s you, so the rules are relaxed according 😁

#157 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:44 PM

I guess it highlights a couple of things.

1) the difference between old school motivation in the short term, rather the short sharp shock that often works as an impact tool.

2) building a squad. Respect, quality, identity, style of play, and longer term planning

Contrary to what I and many Spireites thought, Martin Allen is a man with talent, but talent that is limited to a very narrow set of specific parameters rather than a level of football.

Short term motivator but not capable of long term planning and squad building

For those of a certain age, he’s a basement division football red Adair, and nothing more.

I guess we should have paid more attention his time at Eastleigh rather than Barnet. But few were dissenting voices and to those that were like T_F and HB .... I doff my non footballing knowledge cap.

Some of us have perhaps been “spoiled” by Johnny no goals and perhaps are also in the past?

This post has been edited by DEATH: 20 January 2019 - 07:46 PM

A new hope.

#158 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:47 PM

View PostDEATH, on 20 January 2019 - 07:44 PM, said:

I guess it highlights a couple of things.

1) the difference between old school motivation in the short term, rather the short sharp shock that often works as an impact tool.

2) building a squad. Respect, quality, identity, style of play, and longer term planning

Contrary to what I and many Spireites thought, Martin Allen is a man with talent, but talent that is limited to a very narrow set of specific parameters rather than a level of football.

Short term motivator but not capable of long term planning and squad building

For those of a certain age, he’s a basement division football red Adair, and nothing more.

I guess we should have paid more attention his time at Eastleigh rather than Barnet. But few were dissenting voices and to those that were like T_F and HB .... I doff my non footballing knowledge cap.

Some of us have perhaps been “spoiled” by Johnny no goals and perhaps are also in the past?

Ironic in a way, if we had brought him in instead of jack, then brought in jack instead of Martin would we have been better off?
A new hope.

#159 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:49 PM

View PostDEATH, on 20 January 2019 - 07:44 PM, said:

as much as i'd like to take credit i wasn't against allen being appointed, if i recall i said that he was probably the right man at the time of his appointment, i think the only person who nailed their colours firmly to the 'allen is a bad appointment' mast was town fan so fair play to him for that.

#160 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 20 January 2019 - 07:50 PM

View PostWDCFC, on 19 January 2019 - 10:40 PM, said:

A good summary of the game. What stood out for me was every player wanted the ball and when we had it in our possession we were looking to play it forward, whether that meant it going back to go forward we looked like a well organised team. For a change. It's been a long time since we could say that

What stood out for me was a new invigourated Fortune, worked his nuts off.
God I hate this league.

Share this topic:

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users