Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Dave Allen - I Do Not Accept Any Criticism At All - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Dave Allen - I Do Not Accept Any Criticism At All Peak FM interview

#101 User is offline   Doughnut 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 December 2018 - 10:14 AM

View PostSALTERGATE, on 27 December 2018 - 04:46 PM, said:

Dave Allen.....any chance of an update on your latest managerial failure.....on par with your best failure.....Dean Saunders

I have to be honest in that I thought MA would be just what we needed. He has the pedigree, the track record and the experience. I also believe that he was financially backed by DA, certainly enough for us not to be in the relegation zone.

I suspect many on this forum thought the same thing at the time of MA's appointment.

I know many will claim MA's failure is DA's fault because he appointed him. Fine, but in my opinion DA appointed (on paper) the right man and gave him the financial backing to do a job here... MA messed it up, so I blame MA in this case.

#102 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 28 December 2018 - 10:51 AM

View PostDoughnut, on 28 December 2018 - 10:14 AM, said:

I have to be honest in that I thought MA would be just what we needed. He has the pedigree, the track record and the experience. I also believe that he was financially backed by DA, certainly enough for us not to be in the relegation zone.

I suspect many on this forum thought the same thing at the time of MA's appointment.

I know many will claim MA's failure is DA's fault because he appointed him. Fine, but in my opinion DA appointed (on paper) the right man and gave him the financial backing to do a job here... MA messed it up, so I blame MA in this case.

Agreed, just taking this season in isolation in terms of appointing and backing the manager DA did little wrong

#103 User is offline   Brookie 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My Dad took me to my first game at Saltergate age 5, he never did say what I'd done wrong, been hooked ever since

Posted 28 December 2018 - 11:13 AM

A decent manager with that level of support should have been challenging at the top end of the table

#104 User is offline   frearsghost 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2018 - 11:26 AM

View PostDan Clark, on 28 December 2018 - 09:12 AM, said:

Martin Allen “He’ll be B****Y successful, I can tell you that” how’d that work out Dave????

Lets get grounded here. You might as well ask the same question to the vast majority of Town fans who also believed Martin Allen was just what we needed, including myself, him being experienced at this level, knowing the league and the players to get us up first time. The fact is, Dave Allen is as just as much in the dark as the rest of us when it comes to choosing successful managers. Martin Allen failed because he signed some awful players. He talked the talk about how good and exciting it was going to be and it wasn't.

Thinking back to that sweltering day at Ebbsfleet with 500+ Town fans, the prospect of a great season lay ahead of us with great away trips and large followings. We won the game but the more perceptive Town fans would have looked at the last fifteen minutes when Ebbsfleet opened up our defense four times and had clear scoring opportunities and you knew that something wasn't quite right. It didn't get any better.

#105 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 28 December 2018 - 11:35 AM

View Postmoondog, on 28 December 2018 - 10:51 AM, said:

Agreed, just taking this season in isolation in terms of appointing and backing the manager DA did little wrong

You can’t really argue with that. He has every reason to feel completely let down by MA and his coaching staff.

Although as fans we’ll probably get some blame for it if we ever hear from him again.

#106 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend

Posted 28 December 2018 - 11:49 AM

Hopefully the Martin Allen experience should have brought DA down to earth and made him realise he hasn't got the midas touch when it comes to choosing managers.

However what he should have done and I believe didn't, because of the above, which is a repeated mistake this club has made time over, is build in a minimum performance clause into the managers contract so he could be released if it wasn't met e.g. top half of table at the half way point of the season. This of course would need to be balanced so a manager significantly over achieving the minimum target gets rewarded which should be self financing.

If a manager taking on a job and agreeing a playing budget can't agree to this then he hasn't passed the interview in my book.

I put this point to Graham Bean last week asking if we did need to change managers then I believe this has to be the way forward, he didn't disagree.

#107 User is offline   Blue5 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2018 - 12:23 PM

View Postmoondog, on 28 December 2018 - 11:49 AM, said:

Hopefully the Martin Allen experience should have brought DA down to earth and made him realise he hasn't got the midas touch when it comes choosing managers.

However what he should have done and I believe didn't, because of the above, which is a repeated mistake this club has made time over, is build in a minimum performance clause into the managers contract so he could be released if it wasn't met e.g. top half of table at the half way point of the season. This of course would need to be balanced so a manager significantly over achieving the minimum target gets rewarded which should be self financing.

If a manager taking on a job and agreeing a playing budget can't agree to this then he hasn't passed the interview in my book.

I put this point to Graham Bean last week asking if we did need to change managers then I believe this has to be the way forward, he didn't disagree.

I believe the club is rotten and it will be difficult for any individual or group of individuals to change that without a change in ownership. However, without any doubt, Martin Allen's downfall was his diabolical recruitment of players.

#108 User is offline   plannerj 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC and many other things!

Posted 28 December 2018 - 12:39 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 28 December 2018 - 11:35 AM, said:

You can’t really argue with that. He has every reason to feel completely let down by MA and his coaching staff.

Although as fans we’ll probably get some blame for it if we ever hear from him again.

It might help DA (and the rest of us) next time if he spends rather longer with the candidate assessing his football skills and less time extolling the virtues of pigeon keeping.

#109 User is online   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 28 December 2018 - 12:42 PM

View PostBlue5, on 28 December 2018 - 12:23 PM, said:

I believe the club is rotten and it will be difficult for any individual or group of individuals to change that without a change in ownership. However, without any doubt, Martin Allen's downfall was his diabolical recruitment of players.

And his preferred style of play. When the managers of much smaller clubs bewailied our ‘hoofball tactcs’, it confirmed some our initial concerns of what would be presented to us.
What on earth was our club doing recruiting a 38 year old centre half from a fellow relegated and now non League club (as an example)?
As you and I have said before, why on earth doesn’t the club lay down it’s footballing vision and philosophy and recruit a manager who has the same vision.
Hopefully it would involve players who take care of the ball, players on the up, not down, apart from two or three fit, experienced and proven old heads. Players who want to play football on the floor.
Probably all too late now.

#110 User is offline   Waller is my hero 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2018 - 01:14 PM

I genuinely think we were all convinced that this league required footballers with an ability to just battle, be big & brutal & a footballing ability comes next.

Look at the teams at the top, all good footballing teams - SALFORD chose correct with GA as their choice....MA is that kind of manager that forgives footballing principles for results....all backfired.

So maybe, just maybe...a manager with a good proven footballing principle.

I remember when Cookie arrived, he promised we would be entertained even in defeat...& he delivered just that (remember Doncaster away) entertainment brings in the fans & in turn brings the enthusiasm that can motivate players to win.SIMPLE EH? 🤔👏

#111 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 28 December 2018 - 02:00 PM

View Postmoondog, on 28 December 2018 - 10:51 AM, said:

A fair minded bloke would mention B****Y injuries as well.

View Postplannerj, on 28 December 2018 - 12:39 PM, said:

It might help DA (and the rest of us) next time if he spends rather longer with the candidate assessing his football skills and less time extolling the virtues of pigeon keeping.

He ain't too clever at that apparently even with his money
God I hate this league.

#112 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 28 December 2018 - 02:13 PM

View Postplannerj, on 28 December 2018 - 12:39 PM, said:

He doesn't know much about football so doubt it would help.

#113 User is offline   erniemossity 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Beer, town, decent boozers

Posted 28 December 2018 - 04:33 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 28 December 2018 - 12:42 PM, said:

And his preferred style of play. When the managers of much smaller clubs bewailied our ‘hoofball tactcs’, it confirmed some our initial concerns of what would be presented to us.
What on earth was our club doing recruiting a 38 year old centre half from a fellow relegated and now non League club (as an example)?
As you and I have said before, why on earth doesn’t the club lay down it’s footballing vision and philosophy and recruit a manager who has the same vision.
Hopefully it would involve players who take care of the ball, players on the up, not down, apart from two or three fit, experienced and proven old heads. Players who want to play football on the floor.
Probably all too late now.

Unfortunately the club can’t “lay down its footballing vision “ because the people running the club know eff all about football. Fact. Proven.
We are not ever gonna get close to appointing the right manager until these clowns have nothing to do with it. And I include Warner and Croot.
The root of all our troubles both on and off the pitch is clear and obvious. The FA should be able to perform the “fit and proper” test retrospectively because these @rses should not be let within a million miles of a football club.

#114 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 28 December 2018 - 04:57 PM

View Postmoondog, on 28 December 2018 - 11:49 AM, said:

Hopefully the Martin Allen experience should have brought DA down to earth and made him realise he hasn't got the midas touch when it comes to choosing managers.

Difficult to get a manager/agent to agree to that.
God I hate this league.

#115 User is offline   starsky72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2018 - 05:00 PM

It may well be difficult... but, its a ridiculous situation where you cant hold a manager to account for his failures without paying him huge sums of money....

#116 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend

Posted 28 December 2018 - 05:07 PM

View PostDIFH, on 28 December 2018 - 04:57 PM, said:

Difficult to get a manager/agent to agree to that.

I don't think so, if they've got confidence in their own abilities, talk is cheap, make them walk the talk, sort the wheat from the chaff

#117 User is offline   Blue5 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2018 - 05:23 PM

View Posterniemossity, on 28 December 2018 - 04:33 PM, said:

Unfortunately the club can’t “lay down its footballing vision “ because the people running the club know eff all about football. Fact. Proven.
We are not ever gonna get close to appointing the right manager until these clowns have nothing to do with it. And I include Warner and Croot.
The root of all our troubles both on and off the pitch is clear and obvious. The FA should be able to perform the “fit and proper” test retrospectively because these @rses should not be let within a million miles of a football club.

Hear hear.

#118 User is online   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 28 December 2018 - 05:29 PM

View Postmoondog, on 28 December 2018 - 05:07 PM, said:

I don't think so, if they've got confidence in their own abilities, talk is cheap, make them walk the talk, sort the wheat from the chaff

Looking back to the time of Martin Allen’s appointment, there was a lot of questions as to, and concern expressed over, the length of his contract and that of his backroom team; especially in view of the ongoing costs of other former managers, and MA’s previous average length of tenure.

Seemingly not in the boardroom though.

#119 User is offline   Bobby Darling 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 December 2018 - 05:38 PM

View PostWaller is my hero, on 28 December 2018 - 01:14 PM, said:

I genuinely think we were all convinced that this league required footballers with an ability to just battle, be big & brutal & a footballing ability comes next.

Look at the teams at the top, all good footballing teams - SALFORD chose correct with GA as their choice....MA is that kind of manager that forgives footballing principles for results....all backfired.

So maybe, just maybe...a manager with a good proven footballing principle.

I remember when Cookie arrived, he promised we would be entertained even in defeat...& he delivered just that (remember Doncaster away) entertainment brings in the fans & in turn brings the enthusiasm that can motivate players to win.SIMPLE EH? 🤔👏

Salford are ok but still mix the long ball stuff. How long do you think Alexander will survive if Salford don’t get promoted in May?

#120 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend

Posted 28 December 2018 - 05:55 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 28 December 2018 - 05:29 PM, said:

Looking back to the time of Martin Allen’s appointment, there was a lot of questions as to, and concern expressed over, the length of his contract and that of his backroom team; especially in view of the ongoing costs of other former managers, and MA’s previous average length of tenure.

Seemingly not in the boardroom though.

Yes if in fact MA himself was cagey about it, suggesting at first he'd got a one year rolling year with his assistants two years, more recently I recall him saying he had a 3 year deal, I still don't know what the truth is.

Share this topic:

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users