Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Cambridge V Chesterfield - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (16 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cambridge V Chesterfield

#281 User is offline   hilly81 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:01 AM

View Postfiredodger, on 23 October 2017 - 09:47 AM, said:

I've had a look at the goals and I struggle to blame anyon for the first, somebody said it went into the goal at chest height and that's just not true. Even if his starting position had been back post it would have been a stretch, a man on the line might have prevented it.
As for the second, we'll if I'm being kind the ball did bounce just in front of him which keepers don't like, but yes you would hope he could have dealt with the first shot a bit better.

The second goal doesnt happen if Briggs(??) doesnt get turned so embarrasingly easily in the build up. You're right though, Anyon has to do better with the initial shot. I'm with you on the first. Total fluke.

#282 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:04 AM

View Posta kick in the balls, on 23 October 2017 - 07:43 AM, said:

Problem with highlights is exactly that. Highlights, they show attempts on goal, shots free kicks corners.
We outplayed them for long periods, we had possession and played good football, first half we must have had 70/30 possession but barely mustered a shot. They are not going to show tippy tappy footy if no one had a shot.

The moral of that story is that there has to be a better way of defining 'outplaying' than possession stats and successful 'tippy tappy' tactics. It's a team game and the performance of the goalie is crucial, yet he plays no part in those criteria.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#283 User is offline   firedodger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:04 AM

View Posthilly81, on 23 October 2017 - 10:01 AM, said:

The second goal doesnt happen if Briggs(??) doesnt get turned so embarrasingly easily in the build up. You're right though, Anyon has to do better with the initial shot. I'm with you on the first. Total fluke.

To be honest I was just focusing on the goalkeeping element, we'll be here all day if we start picking faults with our defending!
If you do what you always do, you'll get what you always get.

#284 User is offline   hilly81 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:13 AM

View Postfiredodger, on 23 October 2017 - 10:04 AM, said:

To be honest I was just focusing on the goalkeeping element, we'll be here all day if we start picking faults with our defending!

Good point, well made.

#285 User is offline   prolurker 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:21 AM

If you look at some of the soft goals Anyon has conceded this season, he literally doesn't move his feet. For a small keeper thats a BIG problem.

#286 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 23 October 2017 - 10:33 AM

View PostBowzer spirey, on 23 October 2017 - 09:54 AM, said:

Have to disagree, signing a tall striker alongside Dennis is a must. Any crosses that come into the box Dennis cannot win against taller defenders, he needs the ball on the floor.

A tall striker will cover all bases and will score from headers, something that is unlikely to happen now. COG is a SEB duplicate. Others are needed as well as mentioned earlier. Because we have been left in this situation

by Caldwell/Branston ineptitude we now need a good few more replacements.

I really can't go along with this COG and SEB are duplicates thing. They are, in fact, different in just about every way you care to compare them. Presumably you haven't) noticed the height difference, which must be about a foot. SEB was a C.F. who needed the ball played to his feet on the floor, which we actually did in his first game for us when he scored and assisted a goal. For some unfathomable reason we subseque6started floating high balls towards him when he was marked by giant defenders - no wonder he got frustrated. O'Grady, in complete contrast, is excellent at winning the ball in the air and either flicking it on or bringing it down, shielding it, and looking to play a team-mates in. Our problem till now has been that there have been no team-mates around him. Jack has got us playing good passing football without O'Grady, but if he can also develop a system that uses his strengths it would give us an alternative approach that might be useful in some games.

This post has been edited by sophocles: 23 October 2017 - 10:34 AM

#287 User is offline   Lincs Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:14 PM

Sorry but I don't get excited by COG at all, and to me all he does is hold the ball up, and a few flick ons.

I once saw his shot on goal that was so lame my granny could have saved it.

Compared to the Flores goal when he leathered it into the top right corner. ( Best wishes Jordan hope you get well soon. )

#288 User is offline   Spire-Heights 

• Legend

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:15 PM

View PostBowzer spirey, on 23 October 2017 - 12:14 PM, said:

Sorry but I don't get excited by COG at all, and to me all he does is hold the ball up, and a few flick ons.

What more did you think he was going to do. His record in the previous 80-100 games prior to joining CFC told us he wasn’t going to be scoring many goals.

This post has been edited by Spire-Heights: 23 October 2017 - 12:17 PM

Show class, have pride, and display character.If you do, winning takes care of itself.

#289 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 23 October 2017 - 12:59 PM

View Postdim view, on 23 October 2017 - 10:04 AM, said:

The moral of that story is that there has to be a better way of defining 'outplaying' than possession stats and successful 'tippy tappy' tactics. It's a team game and the performance of the goalie is crucial, yet he plays no part in those criteria.

You know sometimes when Cook was in charge we would have loads of the ball, but occasionally struggled to really create something, maybe just having 2 or 3 shots and scoring only 1 goal? The games where some fans would moan about it being boring football.

It was like one of those games, until they equalized. Then it was over. Heads dropped.

Agreed about the keeper though.

A new hope.

#290 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:22 PM

View Posta kick in the balls, on 23 October 2017 - 12:59 PM, said:

You know sometimes when Cook was in charge we would have loads of the ball, but occasionally struggled to really create something, maybe just having 2 or 3 shots and scoring only 1 goal? The games where some fans would moan about it being boring football.
It was like one of those games, until they equalized. Then it was over. Heads dropped.
Agreed about the keeper though.

Nothing better to do, after your previous comments, I have watched the whole of the first half video. I do have to agree were dominating the game, indeed we played with a confidence rarely seen this last nine months; and the defence looked solid until the ball got near our keeper. However we seemed loath to risk having a shot, which is especially disappointing on such a windy day.

#291 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:25 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 23 October 2017 - 01:22 PM, said:

Nothing better to do, after your previous comments, I have watched the whole of the first half video. I do have to agree were dominating the game, indeed we played with a confidence rarely seen this last nine months; and the defence looked solid until the ball got near our keeper. However we seemed loath to risk having a shot, which is especially disappointing on such a windy day.

BBC Sport report..

'The U's had enjoyed the better chances in the first half playing into a strong wind, with Jabo Ibehre blazing over from inside the box after being set up by Brown, who later shot wide on the turn following a corner.'

#292 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:27 PM

View Postdim view, on 23 October 2017 - 01:25 PM, said:

BBC Sport report..

'The U's had enjoyed the better chances in the first half playing into a strong wind, with Jabo Ibehre blazing over from inside the box after being set up by Brown, who later shot wide on the turn following a corner.'

See Graham's updated report of how we lost the game. Very accurate.

#293 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:44 PM

I'd rather see steady improvement based upon sound principles than some short lived new manager 'bounce'.

I just hope those sound principles begin to elicit points before it's too late, though...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#294 User is offline   Snowflake McBedwetter 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2017 - 01:49 PM

View PostGoku, on 23 October 2017 - 09:55 AM, said:

SEB was a lot better early doors than COG has been this season. How sad is that. We've signed a dud.

Don't agree youth. I think Caldwell signed O'Grady to do exactly what he's good at. To provide for his strike partner.

Jack has however realised that we can't afford the luxury of two strikers and that the midfield needs bolstering. I think O'Grady, as proved by his history playing higher level is good at what he does. But he's probably not the striker we need. Not his fault. And I think it's unfair to compare him to Foodbanks, who was a disgrace to the footballing profession. He's currently clubless, and training with Telford, which says pretty much everything about his standing in the game.

#295 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:19 PM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 23 October 2017 - 01:22 PM, said:

That’s pretty much how I saw it on the day as well.
A new hope.

#296 User is offline   spireite nick 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:29 PM

View PostKevinArnottsGoldenBoot, on 23 October 2017 - 01:49 PM, said:

Don't agree youth. I think Caldwell signed O'Grady to do exactly what he's good at. To provide for his strike partner.

Jack has however realised that we can't afford the luxury of two strikers and that the midfield needs bolstering. I think O'Grady, as proved by his history playing higher level is good at what he does. But he's probably not the striker we need. Not his fault. And I think it's unfair to compare him to Foodbanks, who was a disgrace to the footballing profession. He's currently clubless, and training with Telford, which says pretty much everything about his standing in the game.

My point in essence, but much better worded!

I can't see any benefit in signing a tall striker to play alongside Dennis - not because that wouldn't work (if we had a decent midfield), but because we've already got one (COG).

#297 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 24 October 2017 - 06:43 AM

View Postdim view, on 23 October 2017 - 01:25 PM, said:

BBC Sport report..

Watch the whole game on I follow
A new hope.

#298 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:07 AM

View PostKevinArnottsGoldenBoot, on 23 October 2017 - 01:49 PM, said:

Yeah, that's fair and logical.

#299 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 24 October 2017 - 01:46 PM

View Posta kick in the balls, on 24 October 2017 - 06:43 AM, said:

Watch the whole game on I follow

Watched the first half. Yep, our CH's play deep and are good at contributing in open play, so that creates a lot of space for us to keep the ball. Trouble is, once we got either Kellett or Flores on the ball in the attacking third, their creative contributions amounted to nowt. Caught in possession; little flicks to nobody; indecisive, inaccurate passes; you name it, they did it. If Flores is going to be a number 10, he's got to be far more decisive and dominant. As for the goalie, their only chances came when he failed to take control.

This post has been edited by dim view: 24 October 2017 - 01:46 PM

#300 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:50 PM

View Postdim view, on 24 October 2017 - 01:46 PM, said:

Watched the first half. Yep, our CH's play deep and are good at contributing in open play, so that creates a lot of space for us to keep the ball. Trouble is, once we got either Kellett or Flores on the ball in the attacking third, their creative contributions amounted to nowt. Caught in possession; little flicks to nobody; indecisive, inaccurate passes; you name it, they did it. If Flores is going to be a number 10, he's got to be far more decisive and dominant. As for the goalie, their only chances came when he failed to take control.

Rowley should be in that position and not out wide. Flores can go back in jan and hopefully a decent CM to come in. Kellet can go as well, with JBW back.

Out of all of Caldwell’s loans the only one worth keeping was injured, long term. Was it torn hamstring?’
A new hope.

Share this topic:

• (16 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users