Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Wendies Player Quits To Focus On Religion - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Wendies Player Quits To Focus On Religion

#81 User is offline   SALTERGATE 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 September 2016 - 03:23 PM

View Postash_cfc, on 20 September 2016 - 11:24 AM, said:

I bet Gary Taylor-Fletcher likes Haribo

I imagine every CFC board meeting being like a haribo advert

https://youtu.be/vNfKnbNscdE

This post has been edited by SALTERGATE: 20 September 2016 - 03:28 PM

#82 User is offline   Toddhopper. 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:27 PM

View PostGoku, on 19 September 2016 - 07:57 PM, said:

Sigh. Just to clarify, everyone, I didn't start this.

Nobody can tell any animals to stop eating other animals because that's nature and has no negative environmental impacts. I've tossed wager-thin arguments like this aside many times before, try again.

But you are. What else can I say? When you slit the throat of a human, blood comes out and they die. The same thing happens to animals. You negate that by saying 'meat is nice'.

You're an idiot.

I'm afraid that's a complete misunderstanding of how nature works Goku. Any particular species can have a negative impact on the environment & there are countless examples. There is no perfect balance in any ecosystem, instead there is a merciless & relentless drive for survival. Sometimes this results in species working in symbiosis but far more often it is a B****Y battle that takes no account of the impact on the environment or other species or indeed, very often, on members of the same species.
There are good arguments for veganism but that isn't one of them.

As for the Wednesday player. Its sad that his delusion has taken over to such an extent but as with any religious person you have to be a little understanding as there is an entire world wide industry dedicated to convincing people of the validity of various brands of nonsense so many will sadly fall victim.

This post has been edited by Toddhopper.: 20 September 2016 - 04:29 PM

#83 User is offline   firedodger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:03 PM

Nobody can prove there is a god same as nobody can prove there isn't. And that's the whole point in faith, you don't have to have proof that a god exists because you have faith in him/her/it and as I've said elsewhere if you have faith in a god then you believe they created everything, which includes science which supposedly gives us the strongest 'evidence' that God doesn't and never did exist. The argument being that science is the ultimate test of your faith.

Not for me, but I don't see the point in spouting off at people who choose to believe as long as they don't try to sell it to me
If you do what you always do, you'll get what you always get.

#84 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:13 PM

View PostToddhopper., on 20 September 2016 - 04:27 PM, said:

I'm afraid that's a complete misunderstanding of how nature works Goku. Any particular species can have a negative impact on the environment & there are countless examples. There is no perfect balance in any ecosystem, instead there is a merciless & relentless drive for survival. Sometimes this results in species working in symbiosis but far more often it is a B****Y battle that takes no account of the impact on the environment or other species or indeed, very often, on members of the same species.
There are good arguments for veganism but that isn't one of them.

As for the Wednesday player. Its sad that his delusion has taken over to such an extent but as with any religious person you have to be a little understanding as there is an entire world wide industry dedicated to convincing people of the validity of various brands of nonsense so many will sadly fall victim.

I disagree, animals killing other animals does so much less harm than we do via animal agriculture. I'm talking carbon emissions etc. not the taking of a life in this instance.

But well said in the second paragraph.

#85 User is offline   bifocart 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 September 2016 - 05:20 PM

View Postmr. smith, on 20 September 2016 - 12:27 PM, said:

brilliant song, i'd forgotten that, thanks youth.

View PostSomerset Spireite, on 20 September 2016 - 01:05 PM, said:

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Religious+footballer+who+wouldn't+altar+for+Villa.-a060748284

Saw this guy play a couple of times back in the day. Was a brilliant footballer ...

wow. we could put a squad together at this rate.

#86 User is offline   Zeus 

• Hellenic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Σπαΐραïτς

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:28 PM

View PostSpire-Power, on 19 September 2016 - 07:46 PM, said:

I guess the authorities will monitor said player

wtf is that supposed to mean?
@MancSpireites

#87 User is offline   ralspireite1866 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2016 - 05:42 PM

View Postfiredodger, on 20 September 2016 - 05:03 PM, said:

Nobody can prove there is a god same as nobody can prove there isn't. And that's the whole point in faith, you don't have to have proof that a god exists because you have faith in him/her/it and as I've said elsewhere if you have faith in a god then you believe they created everything, which includes science which supposedly gives us the strongest 'evidence' that God doesn't and never did exist. The argument being that science is the ultimate test of your faith.

Not for me, but I don't see the point in spouting off at people who choose to believe as long as they don't try to sell it to me

True, but surely the default position is that something doesn't exist until it's proved it does....otherwise we'd have people believing that dragons are/were real for example? Then again, perhaps some people do believe that!
For me, believing things that are written in the bible is akin to someone in a few thousand years setting up a religion based on Harry Potter. Pure fantasy!
Religion is purely a tool for controlling the masses ("if you're not good, you won't go to heaven") and explaining phenomena that at the time couldn't be explained any other way, end of.

#88 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 21 September 2016 - 05:49 PM

View Postralspireite1866, on 21 September 2016 - 05:42 PM, said:

True, but surely the default position is that something doesn't exist until it's proved it does....otherwise we'd have people believing that dragons are/were real for example? Then again, perhaps some people do believe that!
For me, believing things that are written in the bible is akin to someone in a few thousand years setting up a religion based on Harry Potter. Pure fantasy!
Religion is purely a tool for controlling the masses ("if you're not good, you won't go to heaven") and explaining phenomena that at the time couldn't be explained any other way, end of.

Yep. It's that simple. It's fascinating that some people can't see it for what it is.

Social conditioning

#89 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 21 September 2016 - 06:22 PM

Gods and religion give some people hope that death is not the end. Without it our short lifespans can seem meaningless. There are a number of gods available to choose to follow, each invented by a particular culture, and none more real than any other. If there is anything after death it can only be through the human spirit imo not via a supreme being of choice. So sad when people take religion to such extremes they are prepared to kill themselves and others. Religion can be very dangerous in the weak minds of those who blindly follow and never question what they are taught.

#90 User is offline   kingspireite 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, Tupton Rugby Club

Posted 21 September 2016 - 06:40 PM

I always wonder why the bible never mentioned Dinosaurs?

#91 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 21 September 2016 - 06:50 PM

Saunders wasn't around then

#92 User is offline   Spire_78 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:NOYFB

Posted 21 September 2016 - 06:52 PM

I bet he could convince our board he was

#93 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:02 PM

Yes he could talk the hind leg off a stegosaurus

#94 User is offline   firedodger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 September 2016 - 07:03 PM

View Postralspireite1866, on 21 September 2016 - 05:42 PM, said:

But like I said mate that's the whole point for religious believers, they don't need proof because they have faith that their God and all the stories / myths / legends about them are true. Personally I really don't care, if it gets them through the day and they don't come selling it to me I'm fine in my own world thanks very much.
What I really don't understand is people who don't believe, don't have faith, yet feel the need to go round shouting 'science' as proof that God doesn't exist, if you don't believe I don't see how you will ever get into the mindset of somebody who has that all encompassing faith and for most of them the inner peace that it gives them.
I don't believe, and at this stage of my life that's based on my life experiences, I've seen many instances of children or good people in pain or lose their lives and nobody can explain to me how an all loving entity could let this happen, people with faith are good with it because they believe something better is waiting for them, their choice their beliefs, I've discussed it with religious folk and I don't get their dedication, but I would never be arrogant enough to tell them they are wrong because I disagree.
To be honest their faith fascinates me and part of me wishes I could have that faith, but based on what I've seen and done, no it's not for me.
If you do what you always do, you'll get what you always get.

#95 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:03 PM

Of course, the true arrogance comes from the theists who are arrogant enough to disregard hundreds of years of critical thinking to get us to where we currently are (Science) despite their best efforts to quieten it, the belief that non-believers will go to hell for having the gall to not believe in an oppressive dictatorial regime and often their disgusting prehistoric beliefs (homophobia is obviously very prevalent in the religious community as we all know, for example).

Morality is doing right, no matter what you are told.
Religion is doing what you're told, no matter what is right.

#96 User is offline   Somerset Spireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:33 AM

View PostGoku, on 21 September 2016 - 08:03 PM, said:

Of course, the true arrogance comes from the theists who are arrogant enough to disregard hundreds of years of critical thinking to get us to where we currently are (Science) despite their best efforts to quieten it, the belief that non-believers will go to hell for having the gall to not believe in an oppressive dictatorial regime and often their disgusting prehistoric beliefs (homophobia is obviously very prevalent in the religious community as we all know, for example).

Morality is doing right, no matter what you are told.
Religion is doing what you're told, no matter what is right.

https://www.youtube....h?v=s4PbPbPKJIQ
An example of Goku's point re: science (assuming that the translation is correct, of course)
Riding the blue & white roller-coaster since 1989

#97 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:25 AM

Cannot remember who the comedian was but it went along the lines of ,if god and the devil hate each other and you cheat lie steal and go to hell the devil is not going to torture you he is going to embrace you, your one of his boys , the coke and hookers will be in hell.
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#98 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:44 AM

View PostBonnyman, on 22 September 2016 - 06:25 AM, said:

Cannot remember who the comedian was but it went along the lines of ,if god and the devil hate each other and you cheat lie steal and go to hell the devil is not going to torture you he is going to embrace you, your one of his boys , the coke and hookers will be in hell.

Sounds like Dave Allen.

#99 User is offline   brianclose 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:13 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 22 September 2016 - 06:44 AM, said:

Sounds like Dave Allen.

Comedian or football chairman?

#100 User is offline   frearsghost 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:44 AM

View PostSomerset Spireite, on 22 September 2016 - 05:33 AM, said:

https://www.youtube....h?v=s4PbPbPKJIQ
An example of Goku's point re: science (assuming that the translation is correct, of course)

The Renaissance passed these people by. Most of the Muslim world has only it's religion as a point of reference for explaining the world. They are an isolated and introverted people and there are billions of them sustained by oil and religion. They can't understand how the west can be so prosperous yet so 'ungodly' while they experience poverty and their anger is real.

Yet at one time, Muslim culture led the world. They were an open, outlooking people who thrived on Greek commerce, culture and philosophy. Something went wrong. I think they have mustered two Nobel prize winners in over one hundred years and, as this video, shows, the results are breathtakingly sad.

Tolerate we do in the name of social harmony - and votes. The idea that we should 'respect' such ignorance demeans us.

This post has been edited by frearsghost: 22 September 2016 - 09:46 AM

Share this topic:

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users