Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Team Ernie Stewarding Fund - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (17 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Team Ernie Stewarding Fund

#201 User is offline   cfc_scott 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:07 PM

View Postazul, on 30 June 2016 - 03:31 PM, said:

So they've finally handed over the cash, minus stewarding

Shysters

Im going to get hammered for this, but oh well.

So the club, let the ground out for the day, office staff give up there time, during and before the match, food provided for the players, and people in the lounge, probly including the moss family, but yet there gettimg pulled from pillow to post for it?
Chesterfield are a league one club, with not much money, not arsenal.
I agree that £2000 is steep, but the club cant pay all the costs!

Somersall park is free, amd doesn't require stewards for next year.

#202 User is offline   spireitenag 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:20 PM

View Postcfc_scott, on 30 June 2016 - 06:07 PM, said:

So the club, let the ground out for the day, office staff give up there time, during and before the match, food provided for the players, and people in the lounge, probly including the moss family, but yet there gettimg pulled from pillow to post for it?

You just don't get it,do you ?

The Moss family are very grateful for all the club did for them.

What has caused the upset and distress is the manner in which CFC failed to bring the matter to a swift conclusion and trotted out far too many excuses for not doing so.

They were made aware that there would be costs but were at no time were they advised that they would be close on two grand.

Ernie Moss is a true CFC legend and is what Chesterfield F C,a family club is all about.

My opinion and many other peoples is that they have treated Ernie and his family with a total lack of compassion and respect.

An apology would go a long way and costs nothing !

#203 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:40 PM

I agree that any money the club contributes comes directly out the club and out the playing budget if you like BUT what Ernie gave to this club throughout his life will never be repeated. People talk about Talbot always giving 100% but he had nothing on Ernie. Not the most gifted of players(other than in the air) but he bust a gut week in week out and is the record goal scorer. Even when compared to Jack, Ernie is the ultimate club legend. I would have hoped that our owner/directors could have personally covered any costs incurred, so they weren't coming out of club funds at all. The whole episode is disrespectful. I've had many favourite players over the years Rodney Fern, Birchy, Tom Fenoughty, Dave Waller, Jack and many, many more but I never considered using any of them in my log in name. The term legend is bandied about too often and too soon but Ernie was and still is the ultimate town legend, within my lifetime.

This post has been edited by Ernie Ernie Ernie: 30 June 2016 - 06:41 PM

#204 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:44 PM

View PostMosschops8, on 30 June 2016 - 05:26 PM, said:

We knew there would be stewards costs but not £2000.
I would hardly say we were causing a dance about nothing!!!!
My Dad cannot speak anymore & we are doing this to raise money to help fight this vile disease, its too late for Dad but may help other families in the future ...so EVERY penny counts.
Its taken 5 weeks to get a figure after endless phone calls & going to club in person...it could have been handled differently.
As ive said before we are grateful to CFC for letting us hold this game but to be honest its the fans that have shown us what true support is.
THANK YOU SPIREITES XX

Don't feel you have to justify yourself or your family to a short-sighted few on here.

PS: I'll be in touch over what we discussed in PM over the weekend.

#205 User is offline   Zorro 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:45 PM

I agree with all of the last 4 posts, but I am very disappointed that there is not an apology in the club statement regarding the time it took to release the figure.

What should have been a very good PR event for both the club and charities has been spoilt by the way it has been concluded.

Z

This post has been edited by Zorro: 30 June 2016 - 06:46 PM

"You've never had it so good!!!"

#206 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:49 PM

View PostZorro, on 30 June 2016 - 06:45 PM, said:

I agree with all of the last 4 posts, but I am very disappointed that there is not an apology in the club statement regarding the time it took to release the figure.

I am very disappointed there is not apology from the club for ANY of the recent calamities coming to light.

#207 User is offline   Mac's Back 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:52 PM

View PostZorro, on 30 June 2016 - 06:45 PM, said:

What should have been a very good PR event for both the club and charities has been spoilt by the way it has been concluded.

Z

Correct. The incompetence at the top is matched only by the arrogance. There has to be a change. Right now.
We're on our way

#208 User is offline   cfc_scott 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:57 PM

View Postspireitenag, on 30 June 2016 - 06:20 PM, said:

You just don't get it,do you ?

The Moss family are very grateful for all the club did for them.

What has caused the upset and distress is the manner in which CFC failed to bring the matter to a swift conclusion and trotted out far too many excuses for not doing so.

They were made aware that there would be costs but were at no time were they advised that they would be close on two grand.

Ernie Moss is a true CFC legend and is what Chesterfield F C,a family club is all about.

My opinion and many other peoples is that they have treated Ernie and his family with a total lack of compassion and respect.

An apology would go a long way and costs nothing !

I do get it, but what exactly do you want? The club to give them a million pound?? The club charged them 2k for stewarding/saftey costs, do you think that is all it cost the club on the day?

And the random one thousand pound that was donated, i wouldnt be suprised if it was a certain club dierector that comes on this board.

people can expect to much somtimes.

#209 User is offline   Limestone Cowboy 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:07 PM

The Moss family were in the Spires Restaurant with other guests(hospitality) which was a payable event.

#210 User is offline   Mosschops8 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:09 PM

Everyone is entitled to their opinion & I respect yours.
No we dont want a million pounds from CFC just a total figure a few days after game would have done it.
We are grateful to CFC & have never said any different.
I have also just received an email from Ashley Carson to apologise.
I have replied to him & thanked him but stated I still thought stewards bill was excessive & praised spireite fans immensely.
Sarah x

#211 User is offline   spireitenag 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:09 PM

View Postcfc_scott, on 30 June 2016 - 06:57 PM, said:

I do get it, but what exactly do you want? The club to give them a million pound?? The club charged them 2k for stewarding/saftey costs, do you think that is all it cost the club on the day?

And the random one thousand pound that was donated, i wouldnt be suprised if it was a certain club dierector that comes on this board.

I can assure you you're completely wrong with your assumption of who donated the £1000.

#212 User is offline   Stockholm Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Formerly Dubai Spireite. I used to live there, but I've moved on to Stockholm

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:10 PM

Scott, Scott, Scott... it's about gestures and doing the right thing by people, even when you don't have to. The club have screwed up massively. Ernie did nothing but give - to the club and to individuals in the community. I'll give you an example of Ernie's gestures to my family, over a couple of years -no doubt, I might even get beaten with the 'holier-than-thou' stick in the process, but here goes.

My mother passed away when I was in primary school. I'm one of four siblings (we were 6,8,10 &12 at the time), and the sport-mad one the family. We definitely grew up poor, but very much-loved. When my dad gave up work to raise us on his own, all my sports gear was bought from Moss and Miller. Geoff knew dad well and was sympathetic to our situation, but Ernie was amazing.

Knowing dad couldn't afford to buy boots and other things outright for a growing boy, Ernie ran his own line of weekly credit for dad. This involved dad visiting and discussing the weekend results in the stock room; taking payment in private and allowing dad to retain some dignity, as well a chat about how things were and how he, and we, were coping.

Dad always apologised when he paid an installment entirely in coins, and Ernie always told him he had nothing to apologise for. Ernie made dad feel special and yet normal at the same time. He didn't have to do any of this, and I thanked him profusely when I found out about this years later.

It's been said that the true test of a man's character is what he does when nobody's looking. Ernie made sure nobody was looking each time he met my dad. That's character. That's not a man deserving of your paltry remarks. I've contributed anonymously to the stewarding fund and also directly to the charity funds. It's only right to reciprocate.

Ernie didn't have to help my family, but chose to. He reached out when we 'needed' help. At this time, I can't think of not fully supporting Sarah and Nikki in their efforts to collect every penny that Ernie and these charities deserve.

It brings it back to my first line - doing the right thing by people, even when you don't have to.

#213 User is offline   Guest_freelander2_* 

• *Deleted*
  • Group: *Deleted*

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:10 PM

View Postcfc_scott, on 30 June 2016 - 06:57 PM, said:

I'm told there were in excess of 200 covers booked in the lounges at £25.00 per head (less match ticket) + wet sales + concourse sales which the club benefited from on the day.

#214 User is offline   Mosschops8 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:11 PM

View PostLimestone Cowboy, on 30 June 2016 - 07:07 PM, said:

The Moss family were in the Spires Restaurant with other guests(hospitality) which was a payable event.

Correct...we even paid for DADS meal. So no freebies x

#215 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:13 PM

Arrogance, incompetence, or just indifference?

Perhaps all three.

This is the culmination of eighteen or more months of self inflicted damage to the Club's name. Yet the DT is banned, we'll see what the recently reticent Carson and Turner have to say to 'Z' and it appears Sutcliffe is 'doing a Corbyn' - clinging onto a clearly untenable position regardless.

It's almost as if he just doesn't care how lousy his reputation becomes as long as those foreign parents keep sending their lads.

Along with their money, of course.

However two of our four stands are now unsponsored, there's talk of at least two more sponsors either withdrawing or greatly downsizing their support, a percentage of 'Bob's Board' members have spoken of staying away - and there's absolutely no reason to suppose they're not representative of our larger fanbase - whilst we can only wonder what impact there'll be in the lounges. I understand a number regulars have declined packages in there for the forthcoming season, though.

But who'll be to blame?

I think we all know the answer to that one...

This post has been edited by MDCCCLXVI: 30 June 2016 - 07:30 PM

Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#216 User is offline   Forever a Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:15 PM

View PostMosschops8, on 30 June 2016 - 07:09 PM, said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion & I respect yours.
No we dont want a million pounds from CFC just a total figure a few days after game would have done it.
We are grateful to CFC & have never said any different.
I have also just received an email from Ashley Carson to apologise.
I have replied to him & thanked him but stated I still thought stewards bill was excessive & praised spireite fans immensely.
Sarah x

Good to hear Carson has apologised! Are you able to tell us exactly what the apology is for Sarah??
#notapennymore

#217 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:19 PM

View Postfreelander2, on 30 June 2016 - 07:10 PM, said:

I'm told there were in excess of 200 covers booked in the lounges at £25.00 per head (less match ticket) + wet sales + concourse sales which the club benefited from on the day.

And that is probably is a bigger disgrace than the stewarding costs.

I had assumed the charity would have taken the profits after the club had covered it's costs

For this reason I'll be giving the Shinners testimonial game a swerve
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#218 User is offline   spireitenag 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:22 PM

View PostForever a Spireite, on 30 June 2016 - 07:15 PM, said:

Good to hear Carson has apologised! Are you able to tell us exactly what the apology is for Sarah??

I honestly think that the nature of a privately given apology should remain private.

The Moss family are happy with the amount their charities are receiving so this is perhaps one story that we should now draw a line under.

Although the amount to be raised to cover the stewarding costs has more than been surpassed I would ask everyone on this board to make their friends,workmates,etc aware of the appeal and let's see

what amount we can reach in the remainder of the 30 days.

It's all for a worthy cause.

Many thanks to all Nigel.

#219 User is offline   Guest_freelander2_* 

• *Deleted*

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:24 PM

View PostStockholm Spireite, on 30 June 2016 - 07:10 PM, said:

Scott, Scott, Scott... it's about gestures and doing the right thing by people, even when you don't have to. The club have screwed up massively. Ernie did nothing but give - to the club and to individuals in the community. I'll give you an example of Ernie's gestures to my family, over a couple of years -no doubt, I might even get beaten with the 'holier-than-thou' stick in the process, but here goes.

My mother passed away when I was in primary school. I'm one of four siblings (we were 6,8,10 &12 at the time), and the sport-mad one the family. We definitely grew up poor, but very much-loved. When my dad gave up work to raise us on his own, all my sports gear was bought from Moss and Miller. Geoff knew dad well and was sympathetic to our situation, but Ernie was amazing.

Knowing dad couldn't afford to buy boots and other things outright for a growing boy, Ernie ran his own line of weekly credit for dad. This involved dad visiting and discussing the weekend results in the stock room; taking payment in private and allowing dad to retain some dignity, as well a chat about how things were and how he, and we, were coping.

Dad always apologised when he paid an installment entirely in coins, and Ernie always told him he had nothing to apologise for. Ernie made dad feel special and yet normal at the same time. He didn't have to do any of this, and I thanked him profusely when I found out about this years later.

It's been said that the true test of a man's character is what he does when nobody's looking. Ernie made sure nobody was looking each time he met my dad. That's character. That's not a man deserving of your paltry remarks. I've contributed anonymously to the stewarding fund and also directly to the charity funds. It's only right to reciprocate.

Ernie didn't have to help my family, but chose to. He reached out when we 'needed' help. At this time, I can't think of not fully supporting Sarah and Nikki in their efforts to collect every penny that Ernie and these charities deserve.

It brings it back to my first line - doing the right thing by people, even when you don't have to.

I'm glad you've mentioned the shop.

It might have said Moss & Miller above the door, but it was definitely a welcoming and friendly greeting from the Moss family as you entered, not forgetting Diane of course.

As a kid it was always a treat to go to the shop in the hope that Ernie might have been roped in to help.

I seem to recall Ernie doing a number of years playing for Johnny Quinn's allstars too.

This post has been edited by freelander2: 30 June 2016 - 07:31 PM

#220 User is offline   Guest_freelander2_* 

• *Deleted*

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:24 PM

Duplicated post.

This post has been edited by freelander2: 30 June 2016 - 07:25 PM

Share this topic:

• (17 Pages)
  • +
  • « First