Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: How Will Cooky Go Down In Cfchistory - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How Will Cooky Go Down In Cfchistory

#41 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 June 2015 - 04:21 PM

View PostPhil V 72, on 19 June 2015 - 01:54 PM, said:

A really interesting question and one which the answers will change over time, depending on the success or otherwise of Dean Saunders.

I trusted Paul Cook, even when we had a bad run, I always trusted he would get us out of it. I thought he was doing so much to change the culture at the club, however, hindsight may prove that some elements of the 'culture' he created might have been less than desirable. Maybe some of the good things were not him at all, but were actually a cultural shift driven by DA and CT. I hope this is the case because even if DS fails, the structure will be in place to push forward once again.

Strangely, the only time I previously thought we had something different to the usual CFC structure and were going to build something new was when Paul Hart took over - this is a man with a plan, I thought - he will change the club (how little I knew). Paul Cook managed that, or at least created the impression that the club was changing? Was it? Is it different now to the club he took over 2 and a half years ago?

The football during PC's time was fantastic most of the time, but there were dips - inexplicable sudden loss of form. His team consisted of fantastic midfielders but there were often big gaps in defence and other than Doyle he didn't have the best of time with strikers. There was an over-reliance on Gary Roberts and a lack of Plan B (or rather, an ineffective Plan B). I'm sure if you look through this archive you'll find some people saying 'Cookie has lost the plot' every time a bad run came along (no, I'm not checking so please don't fact check me) and these criticisms were regularly voiced. He won the league title, but not as convincingly as Sheridan did and didn't win the JPT. He shades it against Sheridan for me because he got us to the L1 play-offs, a fantastic achievement with a small but talented squad.

He wasn't perfect, he was much better than average and I'm proud of what we achieved as a club. He brought some of the best football we've ever seen, he took us up a level and I do worry we won't see that again for some time.

I saw a movie recently that sums up how I feel at the moment, and I paraphrase... "Ever have one of those matches that starts out like any other but ends up being the best night of your life? It was April the 14th, 2015. Our penultimate home game of the season. As I sat there, cheers ringing in my ears, hands stinging from the applause, throat sore, Gary Roberts stepped up to stroke home a penalty, the 6th without reply against Colchester, I just knew in my heart it would never feel this good again............................and do you know what, it never did"

Terrific post, especially the Colyoo stuff.

I've felt a genuine confidence over the last couple of seasons, a belief that we could not only score at any time but rescue a game regardless of scoreline. It's something I've never really experienced under any other manager - infact the opposite's been the case with most!

This post has been edited by MDCCCLXVI: 19 June 2015 - 04:22 PM

Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#42 User is offline   Toddhopper. 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:33 PM

View PostExharboroughspireite, on 19 June 2015 - 11:29 AM, said:

It says something that I have blocked the rushbury era out of my mind!

His first game in charge is one of my all time favourite matches. We beat Oldham 4-2 after being 2-0 down. Jamie Burt was electric that day.

#43 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 19 June 2015 - 06:40 PM

View PostToddhopper., on 19 June 2015 - 06:33 PM, said:

His first game in charge is one of my all time favourite matches. We beat Oldham 4-2 after being 2-0 down. Jamie Burt was electric that day.

Was that the game Reevesy inexplicably balzed one over the Kop roof from about 6 yards out, just after he'd gone there?

#44 User is offline   Toddhopper. 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:13 PM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 19 June 2015 - 06:40 PM, said:

Was that the game Reevesy inexplicably balzed one over the Kop roof from about 6 yards out, just after he'd gone there?

That's the game. Reevsey like the true Spireite he was had an absolute mare. I also recall that John Sheridan was in the Oldham line up.

#45 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:19 PM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 19 June 2015 - 06:40 PM, said:

I won the 50/50 as well that day, prize was £650. And as per the ways of the time I donated back to the club.....£150 pounds back...the missus was ecstatic at winning until she heard how much I'd given back, I think she only started talking to me again last year!
East stand second class citizen.

#46 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:33 PM

View Postclarevoyant., on 18 June 2015 - 08:17 PM, said:

People quit rightly state that under cooky we've had the best couple of years football in our time but does that make him the best manager?

I have nagging doubts, The biggest of these being created by the 2nd half performance at Scunny probably the best 45 minutes of sustained pressure I've seen, simple question though, wouldn't any manager want to attain this standard more frequently and a good manager insist on it?

Whilst all managers make mistakes Johnsongate was badly handled over a (to long)period and culminated in (considering the players we had) a horrible performance at walsall

And I do think a comment made by Freelander that the signing of Harrison could have been mischievous may have some truth in it

Taking into account his actions over the last few weeks I don't think the hall of fame beckons

For me he will go down as a manager that got us playing good football. A Manager that talked well but with hindsight what he said meant little in reality. A Manager that through his out of club hours antics brought the clubs reputation into disrepute which is unforgivable IMO. He had no class and was a typical scouser. His laughing and joking at the Preston play off game away must never be forgiven or forgotten. We accepted his shortcomings when he was the manager and turned a blind eye. It seems he went a step too far for DA and thats why he was swiftly moved on. A good manager football side of things everything else connected with the managers role he was far behind the likes of Cox, JD and especially RM
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#47 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:38 PM

View Postfishini, on 19 June 2015 - 07:33 PM, said:

For me he will go down as a manager that got us playing good football. A Manager that talked well but with hindsight what he said meant little in reality. A Manager that through his out of club hours antics brought the clubs reputation into disrepute which is unforgivable IMO. He had no class and was a typical scouser. His laughing and joking at the Preston play off game away must never be forgiven or forgotten. We accepted his shortcomings when he was the manager and turned a blind eye. It seems he went a step too far for DA and thats why he was swiftly moved on. A good manager football side of things everything else connected with the managers role he was far behind the likes of Cox, JD and especially RM

Wish I'd written that...pretty much sums my feelings up as well.

#48 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:51 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 19 June 2015 - 07:19 PM, said:

I won the 50/50 as well that day, prize was £650. And as per the ways of the time I donated back to the club.....£150 pounds back...the missus was ecstatic at winning until she heard how much I'd given back, I think she only started talking to me again last year!

So, £150 well spent then??

#49 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 19 June 2015 - 07:58 PM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 19 June 2015 - 07:51 PM, said:

So, £150 well spent then??

At the time with the on the pitch presentation I basked in the glory of my ovation, 30 seconds later back on the Kop that little nagging voice we all have deep in our heads said..." You what, you've just given away £150 that you've no idea where it's gone, you idiot ".. came into play!

#50 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:03 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 19 June 2015 - 07:58 PM, said:

At the time with the on the pitch presentation I basked in the glory of my ovation, 30 seconds later back on the Kop that little nagging voice we all have deep in our heads said..." You what, you've just given away £150 that you've no idea where it's gone, you idiot ".. came into play!

With that amount of prize money it must have been after Mr Zero, so aptly named as it turned out lol
God I hate this league.

#51 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:09 PM

View PostDave In Footie Heaven, on 19 June 2015 - 08:03 PM, said:

With that amount of prize money it must have been after Mr Zero, so aptly named as it turned out lol

Yes it was

#52 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 19 June 2015 - 08:59 PM

I never used to understand when people just gave money back- spend it in club shop or sponsor a player , buy s few tickets for people who wouldn't normally go- but Not give for nothing

#53 User is online   jack bauer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:05 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 19 June 2015 - 08:59 PM, said:

I never used to understand when people just gave money back- spend it in club shop or sponsor a player , buy s few tickets for people who wouldn't normally go- but Not give for nothing

i'm looking forward to the day I win the pizza, do you think I could donate the garlic bread back?

#54 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:09 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 19 June 2015 - 08:59 PM, said:

I did it and still don't understand why I did it!

#55 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 19 June 2015 - 09:34 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 19 June 2015 - 09:09 PM, said:

I did it and still don't understand why I did it!

It's always a very generous gesture -but I still think I'd want something for it!

#56 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 19 June 2015 - 10:00 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 19 June 2015 - 09:34 PM, said:

It's always a very generous gesture -but I still think I'd want something for it!

I said to a few mates after it was the situation..you were presented with the cash on the pitch in full view..the crowd expected something to be given back given the clubs recent problems....you should have gone to the club after the game and been given your winnings out of the glare.

#57 User is offline   antony hawkins 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2015 - 10:29 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 19 June 2015 - 10:00 PM, said:

I said to a few mates after it was the situation..you were presented with the cash on the pitch in full view..the crowd expected something to be given back given the clubs recent problems....you should have gone to the club after the game and been given your winnings out of the glare.

I won about £800 on the 50/50 on the final home against blackpool after the DB saga, I donated £300 back to the club. The club phoned me up on the Monday if I wanted transfer the money into shares, Which I did.

#58 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 19 June 2015 - 10:43 PM

View PostPrawn Sandwich, on 19 June 2015 - 10:29 PM, said:

I won about £800 on the 50/50 on the final home against blackpool after the DB saga, I donated £300 back to the club. The club phoned me up on the Monday if I wanted transfer the money into shares, Which I did.

I was never given that option. As far as I can remember I was told the amount Id won, again as far as I remember then donated the extra back myself...and that was that .

#59 User is offline   dalekpete 

• CFC & Trust Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket, Doctor Who and criminal justice.

Posted 19 June 2015 - 10:51 PM

View PostPrawn Sandwich, on 19 June 2015 - 10:29 PM, said:

Interestingly about that time I had my daughter enter a web competition to find Chester. She used her sister's email address as she didn't have one and won. The prize was an adult and child ticket in the Directors' Box and hospitality in one of the smaller Saltergate rooms.

I had an issue as officially one daughter had won while it was the other who had competed. I contacted the Club and asked if both might attend if I paid for my ticket. Mike Warner answered and agreed but insisted I received shares to the value of my "donation".

That gesture led to me becoming a volunteer with CFSS and I have been stuck with this ever since!
Peter Whiteley

#60 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 20 June 2015 - 12:17 AM

View PostPhil V 72, on 19 June 2015 - 01:54 PM, said:

A really interesting question and one which the answers will change over time, depending on the success or otherwise of Dean Saunders.

I trusted Paul Cook, even when we had a bad run, I always trusted he would get us out of it. I thought he was doing so much to change the culture at the club, however, hindsight may prove that some elements of the 'culture' he created might have been less than desirable. Maybe some of the good things were not him at all, but were actually a cultural shift driven by DA and CT. I hope this is the case because even if DS fails, the structure will be in place to push forward once again.

Strangely, the only time I previously thought we had something different to the usual CFC structure and were going to build something new was when Paul Hart took over - this is a man with a plan, I thought - he will change the club (how little I knew). Paul Cook managed that, or at least created the impression that the club was changing? Was it? Is it different now to the club he took over 2 and a half years ago?

The football during PC's time was fantastic most of the time, but there were dips - inexplicable sudden loss of form. His team consisted of fantastic midfielders but there were often big gaps in defence and other than Doyle he didn't have the best of time with strikers. There was an over-reliance on Gary Roberts and a lack of Plan B (or rather, an ineffective Plan B). I'm sure if you look through this archive you'll find some people saying 'Cookie has lost the plot' every time a bad run came along (no, I'm not checking so please don't fact check me) and these criticisms were regularly voiced. He won the league title, but not as convincingly as Sheridan did and didn't win the JPT. He shades it against Sheridan for me because he got us to the L1 play-offs, a fantastic achievement with a small but talented squad.

He wasn't perfect, he was much better than average and I'm proud of what we achieved as a club. He brought some of the best football we've ever seen, he took us up a level and I do worry we won't see that again for some time.

I saw a movie recently that sums up how I feel at the moment, and I paraphrase... "Ever have one of those matches that starts out like any other but ends up being the best night of your life? It was April the 14th, 2015. Our penultimate home game of the season. As I sat there, cheers ringing in my ears, hands stinging from the applause, throat sore, Gary Roberts stepped up to stroke home a penalty, the 6th without reply against Colchester, I just knew in my heart it would never feel this good again............................and do you know what, it never did"

Take a bow son, best post I've read on here for ages, a perfect summary

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users