• You cannot reply to this topic

Changes Afoot

#61 Guest_NOKIN_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 21 October 2014 - 11:57 AM

View Postazul, on 20 October 2014 - 09:10 PM, said:

I think we are reading too much into PCs comments

This is very rare but I agree with this 100%

It was an interesting interview, full of stuff to get the rumour mill fired up but I'm not convinced from what he said that the club is on the verge of a major, earth shattering change.

#62 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:33 PM

View Postlongeatonspireite, on 21 October 2014 - 11:29 AM, said:

Again, a seven figure sum is a huge amount of money and for a L1 midfielder with very few goals and isn't "cheap"

Morsy's biggest asset is that he will only get better. His goal ratio at this stage is not as important as the way that he bosses the holding role. We are all slightly biased but it is not just us, but other managers etc, have seen the quality that he has. Somebody needs to gamble on not what he is now but what he will be like in a couple of years. He will definitely be the name to watch.

Not saying he wont get better, but giving reasons why he wont go for 2/3 million.

A new hope.

#63 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:34 PM

Had a word with 'Deepthroat' this morning, and apparently all Cook was alluding to is getting more game time for current fringe players and trying different options.

It also seems that Roberts is struggling with injury - don't think he's travelled to Colchester - which opens up at least one place in the starting eleven.

Disappointing news on Johnson is that Championship sides are now taking an interest so that'll probably be his next port of call.
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#64 User is offline   Trigger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Zzz

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:36 PM

View PostNOKIN, on 21 October 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

It was an interesting interview, full of stuff to get the rumour mill fired up but I'm not convinced from what he said that the club is on the verge of a major, earth shattering change.

Why not? PC has proved to DA that he can make it work. I think we'll see some movement in January if were still in with a chance of the playoffs in the new year. There's gonna be some good transfers in as PC strives for the best, I can feel it.

I also think it'll be armands last season for us unless he plays some blinders while out on loan.
Here we go again!

#65 User is offline   boot 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:42 PM

View PostPhil V 72, on 21 October 2014 - 10:19 AM, said:

My reasoning is that I think they will only attract the interest of middling Championship standard teams, (for example, Leeds or Reading) who will only have a limited budget, want a bargain and won't be looking to pay top dollar.

The types of clubs who can pay £2m won't in my view look to Doyle and Morsy, as they will have one eye on PL football and I think as much as we rate them, they both have limitations that would put put some suitors off. Top championship clubs are much more likely to take a punt on someone like Daniel Johnson IMO (who we've now put in the shop window).

Agree, and particularly with your comparison of Morsy and Johnson. I have seen valuations of £2 - 5 million for Morsy on here and the same posters suggesting a cheeky bid for Johnson amounting to peanuts. How on earth they think Morsy is worth 10 or 20 times Johnson is beyond me.

#66 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:48 PM

View PostNOKIN, on 21 October 2014 - 11:57 AM, said:

I don't think anyone is expecting anything earth shattering to happen

maybe just a couple of players out, and a couple of players in. Outs will be Johnson and Armand(maybe one of the fringe players as well) and we get 2 in to play in the first team.

January will be interesting, and see if we get any bids for our players

A new hope.

#67 User is offline   Waller is my hero 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2014 - 12:48 PM

View Postboot, on 21 October 2014 - 12:42 PM, said:

Agree, and particularly with your comparison of Morsy and Johnson. I have seen valuations of £2 - 5 million for Morsy on here and the same posters suggesting a cheeky bid for Johnson amounting to peanuts. How on earth they think Morsy is worth 10 or 20 times Johnson is beyond me.

Easy!! Look how many games Morsy has played & performed consistently over 100 games, compared to Johnson who has played 15 games??

This post has been edited by Waller is my hero: 21 October 2014 - 12:49 PM

#68 User is online   azul 

• Legend

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:06 PM

View Posta kick in the balls, on 21 October 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:

I don't think anyone is expecting anything earth shattering to happen

maybe just a couple of players out, and a couple of players in. Outs will be Johnson and Armand(maybe one of the fringe players as well) and we get 2 in to play in the first team.

January will be interesting, and see if we get any bids for our players

When you look on paper we have a decent sized squad but how many of those would he include only as a last resort. He alluded to an unbalanced squad so I guess some of these fringe players will go and he'll look to address the unbalance

Even after Johnson goes we'll have 6 fighting for 3 positions behind the striker, so he might try farming one of those out

I doubt if PC is assuming we are going to lose any of our assets in January although he might be keeping one eye on possible replacements

This post has been edited by azul: 21 October 2014 - 01:10 PM

Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#69 User is offline   boot 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:07 PM

View PostWaller is my hero, on 21 October 2014 - 12:48 PM, said:

Easy!! Look how many games Morsy has played & performed consistently over 100 games, compared to Johnson who has played 15 games??

Quality stands out - it doesn't even take 15 games to spot it as some Championship teams have already done according to Chris.

Morsy worth 10 to 20 x more than Johnson ? Dream on !

#70 User is offline   Waller is my hero 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:21 PM

View Postboot, on 21 October 2014 - 01:07 PM, said:

Quality stands out - it doesn't even take 15 games to spot it as some Championship teams have already done according to Chris.

Morsy worth 10 to 20 x more than Johnson ? Dream on !

If Morsy leaves it will be for 1.5m+

#71 Guest_djs_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:24 PM

View Postjonnythespireite, on 20 October 2014 - 07:39 PM, said:

That's the most inaccurate and pointless thread I've read in a long time..... Congratulations.....O'Shea didn't even play at PV.

Read post 24 ( that's three post above your...er....post) I did correct it. Put the gun away sometimes you can draw a tad too quickly!

#72 User is offline   boot 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:25 PM

View PostWaller is my hero, on 21 October 2014 - 01:21 PM, said:

And your valuation of Johnson ?

#73 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:26 PM

View PostWaller is my hero, on 21 October 2014 - 01:21 PM, said:

Depends when he leaves - if it's in 18 months time when his contract starts winding down, I doubt anyone would offer over £750K

We saw it with Cooper and with Clucas, deals can be done as contracts start drawing to an end
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#74 User is offline   Phil V 72 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:35 PM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 21 October 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

Had a word with 'Deepthroat' this morning, and apparently all Cook was alluding to is getting more game time for current fringe players and trying different options.
It also seems that Roberts is struggling with injury - don't think he's travelled to Colchester - which opens up at least one place in the starting eleven.

Disappointing news on Johnson is that Championship sides are now taking an interest so that'll probably be his next port of call.

I actually think tonight is a good time to shake the team up a little and give players like Banks and Gardner a start.

They must be hungry for a game, and it would help keep us fresh. Wouldn't be surprised to see play Humphreys as well.

Only 2 days recovery time must take a toll on players, I think some who played on Saturday would benefit from a rest.
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.

#75 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 21 October 2014 - 01:35 PM

View Postazul, on 21 October 2014 - 01:06 PM, said:

When you look on paper we have a decent sized squad but how many of those would he include only as a last resort. He alluded to an unbalanced squad so I guess some of these fringe players will go and he'll look to address the unbalance

Even after Johnson goes we'll have 6 fighting for 3 positions behind the striker, so he might try farming one of those out

I doubt if PC is assuming we are going to lose any of our assets in January although he might be keeping one eye on possible replacements

If we get a large cash offer for anyone it will be up to the board and out of Cooks hands.

He may well look to send Onovwigun (Brentford Dave) or Gboly (Yankee Dave) on loan to see how they get on. A month at Stanley, we pay the wage but they play and see how the lads do.

A new hope.

#76 User is offline   Webster 

• First Team Player
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:beer

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:20 PM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 21 October 2014 - 12:34 PM, said:

Johnson's been good but for someone with his role in the team he should also be scoring goals not just creating
50+ points survival
72+ points Play off's
83+ points Party Time

#77 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 21 October 2014 - 03:41 PM

View Postnot_the_freak, on 21 October 2014 - 12:36 PM, said:

Why not? PC has proved to DA that he can make it work. I think we'll see some movement in January if were still in with a chance of the playoffs in the new year. There's gonna be some good transfers in as PC strives for the best, I can feel it.

Not unless we have some money comes in that we are not expecting

A new hope.

#78 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:05 PM

View PostWebster, on 21 October 2014 - 03:20 PM, said:

Johnson's been good but for someone with his role in the team he should also be scoring goals not just creating

Exactly why his value is less than Morsy's at this moment in time. Plus add to that that Morsy is a player on the up and Johnson has to take a step down before his career is on the up. A move to us would easily do that for the lad and probably would be in his better interest to join us full time (If Villa let him go, which I think they will, especially if he has a average or worse loan spell somewhere).

IF he joins a championship side on loan (I think he will btw, I just hope it's not a permanent deal and only a short term loan) and rather selfishly I hope he doesn't do too well so the interest in him at that level is checked a wee bit; this will do a few things hopefully... Keep his valuation and interest down, show him (if he doesn't already know) that signing for us would be great move for his career and keep the hope alive that we can sign him in January; clutching at straws??? Probably, lol
#notapennymore

#79 User is online   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:08 PM

Karl, sometimes you've just got to let the ones you love go. I'm speaking from experience. Nate is now playing for Yeovil so I know how heartbreak feels. It heals over time xoxoxox

This post has been edited by Goku: 21 October 2014 - 05:09 PM

#80 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 21 October 2014 - 05:15 PM

View Postboot, on 21 October 2014 - 12:42 PM, said:

I don't think we will get 5 million for Sammy, though I easily think we'll get two plus! What I do believe is that we should put a 5 million price tag on him when the interest starts to kick in (and it will believe me). This will do two things... create more interest and show willing buyers that we aren’t messing about and we will only consider serious bids.
I firmly believe we won't consider anything less than 1.5 million. Like anything, time will tell :rolleyes: That’s where my valuation of 5-8 million came from, you don’t value a player at 1 million if you want a million; you start high and come down and I like to think our board would see the value in Sammy to us and turn down anything less than 1.5 million (unless it carry very favourable sell on clauses).
#notapennymore

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users