• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

League One...

#21 User is offline   LuSiVe 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:23 PM

You want me to list all the ones we were crap in? You can add Mansfield away, Accrington away, Southend away, Southend at home in FA Cup. Not to mention the many frustrating matches when we just couldn't score. People love to look back with rose-coloured glasses.

If we had played to our potential in every match, then yeah, we would have won the league long before the end of the season.

#22 User is offline   longeatonspireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Photography, cooking, holidays

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:31 PM

View PostLuSiVe, on 28 July 2014 - 02:07 PM, said:

I take it you didn't go to every game last season. A lot of them we were Bunkum.

You are sounding very bitter these days. You need to really to go back and pick out a few positive bits rather than keep on trying to dig at every opportunity.
FASTER....FITTER....STRONGER

#23 User is offline   Waller is my hero 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:38 PM

View PostLuSiVe, on 28 July 2014 - 03:23 PM, said:

You want me to list all the ones we were crap in? You can add Mansfield away, Accrington away, Southend away, Southend at home in FA Cup. Not to mention the many frustrating matches when we just couldn't score. People love to look back with rose-coloured glasses.

If we had played to our potential in every match, then yeah, we would have won the league long before the end of the season.

Ooops hold on....that's 8...yes 8 games out of 46 games in a season!!!

#24 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:42 PM

We won the B****Y league, can't ask for much more. What more do people want?

#25 User is offline   longeatonspireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:52 PM

View PostCFC.tb, on 28 July 2014 - 03:42 PM, said:

We won the B****Y league, can't ask for much more. What more do people want?

Totally agree! Talk about being MASSIVE some need to realise where we were five years ago. Short memories come to mind.

#26 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:54 PM

View PostHSpireite, on 28 July 2014 - 02:11 PM, said:

I went too most, we are much more entertaining these days and under Cook. We will be fine. The team we had last time wouldn't survive in the conference.

A lot of the games last season were a little disappointing - because, as admitted by the manager, we lacked a cutting edge and often failed to open up teams. The Pompey and Mansfailed games spring to mind.

This season, I don't think we will have anywhere near the number of sides that will come and park the bus, so more open games may actually help with our lack of cutting edge.

Our first 15/16 or so are good enough to hold their own in this division, and I doubt we will be in the bottom 4 for much of the season. However, a couple of injuries to key players would severely hamper the manager as we have a very small squad.

A new hope.

#27 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

View PostHSpireite, on 28 July 2014 - 02:14 PM, said:

So am i, apart from the end bit. We outplayed the first 11 of a championship team. Keep playing the football we do and the goals will come

"we out played a championship team" - indeed we did, in the cup last year and in a friendly this year. However - we lost at Elland rd, and drew this time. We drew a lot more home games last season than we really should have done (one reason why gates were down)

"keep playing the football we do and the goals will come" this is the problem - I`m not that sure the goals will come. We will have some good possession and some nice football to watch but goals will be hard to come by. At least our expectations for the season are now going to be realistic - anything better than 52 points and 5th bottom is good enough.

A new hope.

#28 User is online   azul 

• Legend

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:58 PM

View PostHSpireite, on 28 July 2014 - 02:06 PM, said:

Colchester
Crawley
Crewe
Fleetwood
Oldham
Notts County
Rochdale
Scunthorpe
Walsall

These are all the teams that we have an equal or better squad than. Why is everyone so negative? We won the league last year and finished stop scorers without an amazing striker, we were infront of the likes of Scunthorpe, Rochdale who both had 15+ strikers. We are playing some beautiful football and every single one of our midfielders are capable of scoring (as seen by Morsy v Leeds). We will be fine and will stay up. Everyone needs to chill out and support the team we have. I would rather have one of the best midfields in league one than the best striker in league one. One player does not make a team!

And please tell me how you know this?
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#29 User is offline   Sheffield Blue 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Portsmouth Fan

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:11 PM

View Posta kick in the balls, on 28 July 2014 - 03:54 PM, said:

A lot of the games last season were a little disappointing - because, as admitted by the manager, we lacked a cutting edge and often failed to open up teams. The Pompey and Mansfailed games spring to mind.

This season, I don't think we will have anywhere near the number of sides that will come and park the bus, so more open games may actually help with our lack of cutting edge.

Our first 15/16 or so are good enough to hold their own in this division, and I doubt we will be in the bottom 4 for much of the season. However, a couple of injuries to key players would severely hamper the manager as we have a very small squad.

It wasn't just a cutting edge you lacked against us it was pretty much everything, barely had a kick of the ball.

#30 User is offline   longeatonspireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

View PostSheffield Blue, on 28 July 2014 - 04:11 PM, said:

It wasn't just a cutting edge you lacked against us it was pretty much everything, barely had a kick of the ball.

You absolutely mashed us, it is just not fare! such a shame that you are still in division 2 :rolleyes:

This post has been edited by longeatonspireite: 28 July 2014 - 04:17 PM

#31 User is offline   lindo-spireite 

• Legend

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

Yeah we lacked pretty much everything and still won a league you just survived in, bravo

This post has been edited by lindo-spireite: 28 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

Messageboard mafia. AKA - The Big Dog

#32 User is offline   Toddhopper. 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:29 PM

The problem isn't with the players we have got, it is the lack of depth that will be the cause of any struggles.

#33 User is offline   farney 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:36 PM

View Posta kick in the balls, on 28 July 2014 - 03:54 PM, said:

Can we rely on our midfielders to score the majority of our goals again

#34 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:37 PM

Yes I bet you wish your all stars lacked everything but still won the league :windup

#35 User is offline   firedodger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:37 PM

View Postnewboldsteve, on 28 July 2014 - 02:44 PM, said:

lyle 8 in 40 was for sheff utd when they were struggling but season before got 29 in 42 games don't manipulate the facts

Here's a fact, on paper Taylor doesn't look very impressive
If you do what you always do, you'll get what you always get.

#36 User is offline   Sheffield Blue 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Portsmouth Fan

Posted 28 July 2014 - 04:49 PM

View Postlindo-spireite, on 28 July 2014 - 04:18 PM, said:

Yeah we lacked pretty much everything and still won a league you just survived in, bravo

We finished comfortable midtable.

View Postlindo-spireite, on 28 July 2014 - 04:18 PM, said:

I was referring to an individual game.

#37 User is offline   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:41 PM

View Postfarney, on 28 July 2014 - 04:36 PM, said:

Can we rely on our midfielders to score the majority of our goals again

looks like we will have to - we don't need to get 80 odd points this season. 50+ is the aim. That's 10 wins less than last season, which I believe we can achieve with a bit of room to spare.

so if we compare to last season 7 home wins and 9 draws and 5 away wins and 6 draws will be enough.

we can do that with our current side

A new hope.

#38 User is offline   newbold ken 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 July 2014 - 05:42 PM

What was the score at your place?

#39 Guest_djs_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:05 PM

View PostLuSiVe, on 28 July 2014 - 02:07 PM, said:

I take it you didn't go to every game last season. A lot of them we were Bunkum.

What you got for eyes? ........Ears!

#40 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:25 PM

View PostHSpireite, on 28 July 2014 - 02:06 PM, said:

Colchester
Crawley
Crewe
Fleetwood
Oldham
Notts County
Rochdale
Scunthorpe
Walsall

These are all the teams that we have an equal or better squad than. Why is everyone so negative? We won the league last year and finished stop scorers without an amazing striker, we were infront of the likes of Scunthorpe, Rochdale who both had 15+ strikers. We are playing some beautiful football and every single one of our midfielders are capable of scoring (as seen by Morsy v Leeds). We will be fine and will stay up. Everyone needs to chill out and support the team we have. I would rather have one of the best midfields in league one than the best striker in league one. One player does not make a team!

View Postazul, on 28 July 2014 - 03:58 PM, said:

And please tell me how you know this?

I know this thread gone off in another direction, but the opening post is just madness! How does anyone know how we are going to fair and what any of the other sides are really like??

Answer: They don't... But we are about to find out :D
#notapennymore

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users