• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Signing!

#201 User is offline   1978blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Chesterfield Fc , Football in general . Music-Oasis , Queen and Pink Floyd. My Family and gardening.

Posted 16 May 2024 - 05:41 PM

Mr Mercury, on 16 May 2024 - 03:37 PM, said:

Initially the Freight Rover trophy wasn’t it?

Started life as the Associate Members Cup in the 83/84 season, our first game in it was a 2-1 defeat at the Old Show Ground Scunthorpe.

#202 User is offline   Siberian Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2024 - 05:54 PM

dtp, on 16 May 2024 - 05:24 PM, said:

From what I’ve seen and remember Oldaker and Akinola are not “like for like”.

Oldaker has a rare goal and a free-kick capability along with a range of passing both long and short but lacks pace.

Akinola has a rush of blood when near the penalty area and never hit the back of the net but he had pace and could carry the ball whilst never displaying a range of passing ability.

Having said that, it seems Cook is going for a range of youth and experience so it should be interesting to see what happens next.

Oldaker usually goes sideways or backwards at a languid pace.
Akinola goes forwards, faster.
These go to eleven.

#203 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 16 May 2024 - 06:06 PM

Oldaker has a rare goal and a free-kick capability along with a range of passing both long and short but lacks pace.

Akinola has a rush of blood when near the penalty area and never hit the back of the net but he had pace and could carry the ball whilst never displaying a range of passing ability.

Having said that, it seems Cook is going for a range of youth and experience so it should be interesting to see what happens next.

You're right,both bring different attributes to the game. I can definitely see Akinola being Mike Jones's apprentice, but he can do more, as we already know. The last time around, he probably saw us as a stepping stone to the Arsenal squad, but now he's our player with a year to prove himself, so we need to give him a chance to thrive under our manager and coaching team. Welcome back Tim.

#204 User is offline   jonnythespireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2024 - 06:39 PM

Bonnyman, on 16 May 2024 - 04:47 PM, said:

Was never impressed with the 3 year deal for grigg especially for a forward with no pace , lets see how he fares in the real league not the tin pit one we have thankfully got out of.

Laughable. Truly incredible.
YOU CHOOSE YOUR LEADERS AND PLACE YOUR TRUST AS THEIR LIES WASH YOU DOWN AND THEIR PROMISES RUST.

#205 User is offline   Cum on u blues 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2024 - 07:03 PM

Brookie said:

1715871532[/url]' post='1822092']
Personally underwhelmed by this one, a player who looked at times promising but on the whole failed to deliver.

Can’t help agreeing with you.

The only advantage between him and DJ is that he knows how to tackle but far from being a replacement for Jones imo. We got rid of him in the NL so can’t really see how he’s developed in the meantime to hit L2 running compared with the Qatar 2nd division.

Let’s just hope it was a bargain basement signing for 12m though I sincerely hope it works out for him like with Drummond.

Still waiting for the equivalent of the quality of Madden to shore up the defence and then I’ll be happier tbh

They must have wide pockets our benefactors but I hope they’re not entirely in the pocket of our manager. A line needs to be drawn to avoid the overspending on last year on players who’ve come and gone or who are likely to go soon, and there are quite a few let’s face it

#206 User is offline   born in 1866 

• DOH !!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2024 - 07:17 PM

Mr Mercury, on 16 May 2024 - 03:37 PM, said:

Initially the Freight Rover trophy wasn’t it?

I thought it was Sherpa Van but might be wrong.

Edit: Sherpa Van being the first sponsored name.

This post has been edited by born in 1866: 16 May 2024 - 07:18 PM

"It's that simple" © Paul Cook 2012

#207 User is offline   SocraticCFC 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2024 - 07:35 PM

Cum on u blues, on 16 May 2024 - 07:03 PM, said:

Can't help agreeing with you.

The only advantage between him and DJ is that he knows how to tackle but far from being a replacement for Jones imo. We got rid of him in the NL so can't really see how he's developed in the meantime to hit L2 running compared with the Qatar 2nd division.

Let's just hope it was a bargain basement signing for 12m though I sincerely hope it works out for him like with Drummond.

Still waiting for the equivalent of the quality of Madden to shore up the defence and then I'll be happier tbh

They must have wide pockets our benefactors but I hope they're not entirely in the pocket of our manager. A line needs to be drawn to avoid the overspending on last year on players who've come and gone or who are likely to go soon, and there are quite a few let's face it

Lawrie Madden hopefully

#208 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2024 - 07:47 PM

The only advantage between him and DJ is that he knows how to tackle but far from being a replacement for Jones imo. We got rid of him in the NL so can’t really see how he’s developed in the meantime to hit L2 running compared with the Qatar 2nd division.

Let’s just hope it was a bargain basement signing for 12m though I sincerely hope it works out for him like with Drummond.

Still waiting for the equivalent of the quality of Madden to shore up the defence and then I’ll be happier tbh

They must have wide pockets our benefactors but I hope they’re not entirely in the pocket of our manager. A line needs to be drawn to avoid the overspending on last year on players who’ve come and gone or who are likely to go soon, and there are quite a few let’s face it

In what way did “we get rid of him”?

He wasn’t our player to get rid of.

Comparing him to Jones isn’t a fair comparison either as Jones has many years of experience and has developed into a defensive midfielder from being a winger. Cook must have seen enough in Akinola first time round to invite him back. This time he will have a pre-season with us too. We might have a need to defend deeper in L2 at times then burst forward at pace to turn teams. Jones can’t do that. Akinola can.

We’ve hardly started our recruitment yet and Cook has said he knows the defence needs tightening up. Be patient and I’m sure you will see some defensive quality through the door.

We worked within a player budget last season and no doubt we will work within one this season. Remember we didn’t add to the squad from very early season so where you get the “overspending” from I’m not sure either.

#209 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 16 May 2024 - 08:08 PM

He was loan from Arsenal and he returned to his parent club when that loan ended…not quite the same as we got rid of him. Judging by the details Cook called him about coming back this time so Cook must be a fan.

As for budgets it’s stricter this year as we have to meet EFL financial rules so we can’t really overspend.

This post has been edited by JonB: 16 May 2024 - 08:09 PM

#210 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 16 May 2024 - 08:10 PM

Not like for like in terms of playing style. We never really knew what Akinola’s position was. But if he isn’t better at doing what Oldaker does then I would be disappointed. I went right off his game personally as time went on last season.

#211 User is online   Wooden Spoon 

• Legend

Posted 16 May 2024 - 08:25 PM

…………….Grigg

Coco…..Madden….Mandy

……..Akinola….Naylor

With Dobs,Berry. Banks. Oldaker Quigley and Drummond on the bench?

That is ridiculous - the options and quality available!
A new hope.

#212 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 16 May 2024 - 08:27 PM

JonB, on 16 May 2024 - 08:08 PM, said:

He was loan from Arsenal and he returned to his parent club when that loan ended…not quite the same as we got rid of him. Judging by the details Cook called him about coming back this time so Cook must be a fan.

As for budgets it’s stricter this year as we have to meet EFL financial rules so we can’t really overspend.

Actually we can get it wrong and if we do we’ll get sanctioned. Hopefully we understand all the rules and more importantly how they are interpreted.
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#213 User is online   rodney 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 May 2024 - 09:04 PM

Was never impressed with the 3 year deal for grigg especially for a forward with no pace , lets see how he fares in the real league not the tin pit one we have thankfully got out of.

Both Grigg and Akinola will just do fine in what you call the real league.

#214 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 16 May 2024 - 09:20 PM

You truly are hopeless and still don't know how football works. We don't 'get rid' of loan players when loans end seeing as they're not ours to get rid of. I notice you've gone awfully quiet on the other thread re Connor Cook.
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#215 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 17 May 2024 - 04:55 AM

azul, on 16 May 2024 - 08:27 PM, said:

Actually we can get it wrong and if we do we’ll get sanctioned. Hopefully we understand all the rules and more importantly how they are interpreted.

In view of the fact that our de facto owner is a qualified chartered accountant, and that the rules aren’t difficult to interpret, I’m sure we will fully understand the SCMP rules. In any event, while ever the Kirks are willing to convert loans to share capital there will be no issue.

Stockport lost £4.5M in 22/23, covered by £6M of new share capital.

#216 User is offline   Doughnut 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2024 - 08:18 AM

In terms of 3 year deal, I'm with you - I would rather it had been for 2 years.
But, it may well have been this contract length that was required to get him to sign and, based on his performance last season, so far I'd say he's been worth it.
His stats for last season speak for themselves (according to fbrev.com):
Remarkably, despite the fact his legs have gone (according to you) he made 32 starts; the 5th highest in the squad and I suspect he would have started more if not for the injury. Despite being slower than you over x yards (I forget the number) he was still able to score 25 tap-ins including 3 out of 3 tap-in penalties. It's not a bad return is it for some knackered old striker with no pace?

Like many, I don't get your constant downer on him.
Having highlighted his shortfalls, and found some new ones, you would get much more credibility if you just stated he performed better than you expected and actually praised him for what he adds as opposed to searching for an alternate reason to criticise him... or just let it go and say nothing.
As for how he fares against L2 players, well that goes for everyone else too doesn't it?
How will Coco and Dobra fare against against better defenders, Grimes against a better aerial threat with more pace, our goalkeeper against more clinical strikers etc?
I suspect Grigg won't get 25 goals next season, but while ever he's fit, he'll still score and his intelligent movement will create space for the other attacking players to exploit.

#217 User is online   rodney 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2024 - 09:20 AM

Doughnut, on 17 May 2024 - 08:18 AM, said:

But, it may well have been this contract length that was required to get him to sign and, based on his performance last season, so far I'd say he's been worth it.
Remarkably, despite the fact his legs have gone (according to you) he made 32 starts; the 5th highest in the squad and I suspect he would have started more if not for the injury. Despite being slower than you over x yards (I forget the number) he was still able to score 25 tap-ins including 3 out of 3 tap-in penalties. It's not a bad return is it for some knackered old striker with no pace?

Having highlighted his shortfalls, and found some new ones, you would get much more credibility if you just stated he performed better than you expected and actually praised him for what he adds as opposed to searching for an alternate reason to criticise him... or just let it go and say nothing.
As for how he fares against L2 players, well that goes for everyone else too doesn't it?
How will Coco and Dobra fare against against better defenders, Grimes against a better aerial threat with more pace, our goalkeeper against more clinical strikers etc?
I suspect Grigg won't get 25 goals next season, but while ever he's fit, he'll still score and his intelligent movement will create space for the other attacking players to exploit.

Well said.

#218 User is online   rodney 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 May 2024 - 10:06 AM

Doughnut, on 17 May 2024 - 08:18 AM, said:

Well said.

#219 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 17 May 2024 - 11:55 AM

60s 70s Spireite, on 17 May 2024 - 04:55 AM, said:

In view of the fact that our de facto owner is a qualified chartered accountant, and that the rules aren’t difficult to interpret, I’m sure we will fully understand the SCMP rules. In any event, while ever the Kirks are willing to convert loans to share capital there will be no issue.

Stockport lost £4.5M in 22/23, covered by £6M of new share capital.

I was suggesting that it is quite easy to fall foul of the SCMP rules (especially when the club changes leagues) not that the Kirks weren?t up to the task. Hopefully they have the nouse to avoid the pitfalls of over estimating. They seemed supremely confident that they would be comfortably inside the 50% of income and as you suggested if they have as much cash and commitment as it appears, they could inject more capital if need be.

I wonder if you have cast your eyes over the SCMP rules? Even though there is a lot of detail it strikes me that there is a lot of assumptions to be made for the current reporting year and its vague how previous reporting years are used to form part of the calculation. Probably the major reason why the league descended on the club a few weeks ago.
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#220 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 17 May 2024 - 12:04 PM

azul, on 17 May 2024 - 11:55 AM, said:

I was suggesting that it is quite easy to fall foul of the SCMP rules (especially when the club changes leagues) not that the Kirks weren?t up to the task. Hopefully they have the nouse to avoid the pitfalls of over estimating. They seemed supremely confident that they would be comfortably inside the 50% of income and as you suggested if they have as much cash and commitment as it appears, they could inject more capital if need be.

I wonder if you have cast your eyes over the SCMP rules? Even though there is a lot of detail it strikes me that there is a lot of assumptions to be made for the current reporting year and its vague how previous reporting years are used to form part of the calculation. Probably the major reason why the league descended on the club a few weeks ago.

I have, posted a lot about them when we?re last in the leagues. All very vague.
Another way of looking at it- just how many clubs have been penalised for breaking SCMP rules? I can find very little on the subject, and in any event the only penalty appears to be restricting new registrations.

This site was useful when I was researching it before. Not sure if it’s bang up to date though.
https://www.financia....co.uk/scmp.php

This post has been edited by 60s 70s Spireite: 17 May 2024 - 12:53 PM

Share this topic:

• (13 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users