• You cannot reply to this topic

Released List

#61 User is offline   Misnomer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 May 2024 - 07:50 AM

View PostMrTall, on 08 May 2024 - 09:17 PM, said:

Looks like you and I are in the minority, but I agree. Shows touches of class, but simply doesn't do enough of anything in my opinion.

Also, how I see it. Definitely class at times, but not consistent enough. Even throughout individual games, he can blow hot and cold. I've been waiting for him to settle down and find his groove, he hasn't.

#62 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2024 - 07:58 AM

Yes i'm not sure why folk are getting annoyed at it not coming out as yet, the host of contract renewals through last season means we pretty much know whats happening. Its not like we are going to pay off and release any under contract players out of the blue.

#63 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 09 May 2024 - 08:04 AM

View PostMisnomer, on 09 May 2024 - 07:50 AM, said:

Also, how I see it. Definitely class at times, but not consistent enough. Even throughout individual games, he can blow hot and cold. I've been waiting for him to settle down and find his groove, he hasn't.

Thats exactly where i am with him, missed a pre season which was a negative but never truely hit the heights id have expected from a player taking a huge drop in class, you cant look back on the season and say " can you remember that run of games where Jacobs was simply unplayable" because it didnt happen, it dd for Banks but if he goes for fresher legs as well so be it.
No sentiment from me towards players these days.
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#64 User is offline   KevoBMMD 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2024 - 08:28 AM

Nothing related to us but has anybody else seen York City's Retained list.

They have 23 players under contract

Agreed a Contract on one other player and offered 3 more contracts to players.

That is 27 players on the books before any new signing's or Loan deals

#65 User is offline   Zigsuk 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 09 May 2024 - 10:22 AM

Like many I am sad to see King go but it is the right decision. He is not the player he was and looks like he won't be again. And he is still what 27/8? Should be at his peak.
I will never forget the first time I came across him playing for Halifax against us on a televised game. I had never previously heard of him, but every time he got the ball their commentators were raving as though he were a combination of Messi and Maradonna. And he certainly seemed very good for that level. Consequently when he came to us I thought it was a real coup. On balance he has perhaps been ultimately slightly disappointing, but no denying his contribution and occasional great moments. In his favour I think he will be one of those town players long remembered.

This post has been edited by Zigsuk: 09 May 2024 - 10:23 AM

#66 User is offline   Looker-on 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2024 - 10:30 AM

View PostKevoBMMD, on 09 May 2024 - 08:28 AM, said:

They were nuts last season. Two managers, each backed with new signings, then each sacked.
It's nice to be able to Trust again.

#67 User is offline   gordon_brittas 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2024 - 10:35 AM

View PostLooker-on, on 09 May 2024 - 10:30 AM, said:

They were nuts last season. Two managers, each backed with new signings, then each sacked.

I’d expect most of Worthing’s top players to be in York shirts next season.
Management Accepts New Ideas And Criticism...When Im Managaging think MANIAC!!

#68 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 09 May 2024 - 10:37 AM

View PostKevoBMMD, on 09 May 2024 - 08:28 AM, said:

It not hard to guess the teams the spent more on the playing squad than us last season. I calculated York had 40 starters last year and Oldham have 19 under contract, 14 out of contract and a number of loanee. No mention if any of those 14 are being retained

Back to our retained list, wasn't it late May last year before the club announced anything officially?
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#69 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 09 May 2024 - 10:44 AM

View Postazul, on 09 May 2024 - 10:37 AM, said:

It not hard to guess the teams the spent more on the playing squad than us last season. I calculated York had 40 starters last year and Oldham have 19 under contract, 14 out of contract and a number of loanee. No mention if any of those 14 are being retained

York had 38 players that started games, 40 used in total. Oldham 30 different starting players, 32 used in total.

https://thefishy.co....tab=tab-players

#70 User is offline   frearsghost 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2024 - 11:31 AM

I'll remember King's goals, cutting in from the left and letting fly, some of them at important times. At one point last season he was being touted by some, as one of the best players in the National League, and a few managers talked about him with envy along the lines of, "when you've got the likes of King etc". Good at going foward and overlapping but not a defender. He won't be short of a club or two chasing him. Another player who'll be fondly remembered. He's layed down a few fond memeories for me.

#71 User is offline   Valley Blues 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2024 - 11:57 AM

View Postazul, on 09 May 2024 - 10:37 AM, said:

Back to our retained list, wasn't it late May last year before the club announced anything officially?

But last year we had a PO final on 13th of May to determine which league we would be playing in.

We’ve known for weeks where we will be next term.

I’m not fussed when it comes out but it does appear a long time being announced when our fate was determined so early and it would seem the players, or at least one so you’d assume all, know.

#72 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 09 May 2024 - 12:05 PM

View PostValley Blues, on 09 May 2024 - 11:57 AM, said:

But last year we had a PO final on 13th of May to determine which league we would be playing in.

We’ve known for weeks where we will be next term.

I’m not fussed when it comes out but it does appear a long time being announced when our fate was determined so early and it would seem the players, or at least one so you’d assume all, know.

Perhaps 1 or 2 players have been given deadlines that expire in a couple of days.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#73 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 09 May 2024 - 01:37 PM

View Postfrearsghost, on 09 May 2024 - 11:31 AM, said:

I'll remember King's goals, cutting in from the left and letting fly, some of them at important times. At one point last season he was being touted by some, as one of the best players in the National League, and a few managers talked about him with envy along the lines of, "when you've got the likes of King etc". Good at going foward and overlapping but not a defender. He won't be short of a club or two chasing him. Another player who'll be fondly remembered. He's layed down a few fond memeories for me.

Same here - I really like Kingy, and I'm sorry to see him go. He did get caught out occasionally playing RB against a tricky winger, but he was brilliant at times attacking down our right side and linking with Mandy. I think he is still capable of doing well at NL or even L2 level in a team shape that gives him fewer defensive responsibilities. I reckon he could be very effective as a right-sided attacking player in a team playing 4-3-3 or 4-4-2. I've got a sneaking feeling we might find him facing us in L2 next season.

#74 User is offline   Cartman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2024 - 03:09 PM

View Postsophocles, on 09 May 2024 - 01:37 PM, said:

Same here - I really like Kingy, and I'm sorry to see him go. He did get caught out occasionally playing RB against a tricky winger, but he was brilliant at times attacking down our right side and linking with Mandy. I think he is still capable of doing well at NL or even L2 level in a team shape that gives him fewer defensive responsibilities. I reckon he could be very effective as a right-sided attacking player in a team playing 4-3-3 or 4-4-2. I've got a sneaking feeling we might find him facing us in L2 next season.

King was great for us and hope he gets fixed up somewhere decent

I’ve read a few people say he’d be good further forward as a right sided attacking player, if that were the case then surely one of his previous managers or Cook would have tried it? Non league Trent Alexander Arnold for me, you overlook defensive weakness for what he gives you going forward from full back

#75 User is offline   metallilad 

• Legend
  • Interests:CFC.
    Music (the louder,faster the better).

Posted 09 May 2024 - 03:33 PM

King lost his mojo. Obviously one of the nicest characters we've had at town since we dropped down into NL which is the reason why there's so much support for him on here. But footballing wise I'm afraid he'll be no great loss, harsh but true.
Life goes on. Whatever happens.

#76 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2024 - 04:29 PM

View PostCartman, on 09 May 2024 - 03:09 PM, said:

King was great for us and hope he gets fixed up somewhere decent

I’ve read a few people say he’d be good further forward as a right sided attacking player, if that were the case then surely one of his previous managers or Cook would have tried it? Non league Trent Alexander Arnold for me, you overlook defensive weakness for what he gives you going forward from full back

I'm very surprised that he wasn't given a go in place of Mandeville when he wasn't well. I'm pretty sure he could have done a job for us. Apart from Mandy, the only player to do the business on that side was Ollie Banks. Colclough, Berry, Jacobs and Dobra play far better on the left or centre mid in the case of Jacobs.
I would have loved to keep Jeff King, but he needs to get his mojo back, and I hope it's soon with a decent football playing northern side.
Good luck Jeff, and come and watch us when you're not got a game, you'll definitely get a warm welcome from most Spireites.

#77 User is offline   Blue roan lily 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC.

Posted 09 May 2024 - 04:35 PM

View Postsophocles, on 09 May 2024 - 01:37 PM, said:

On the facing us in league 2 next season, I really hope so.
What a thoroughly decent man he is, always got time for the fans, before, during and after games.
With how he performed the season before last I thought he’d shoot up the pyramid in no time but he obliviously had some personal issues last season that hampered his performances and the ability to actually get in the side.
Anyway Jeff if you’re reading all this all the best to you but remember no ‘worldie’ free kicks when you play us !!!!

#78 User is offline   Cum on u blues 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2024 - 05:18 PM

Agree with most of the posters. Don’t know why his drop in form was so big this season, chalk and cheese in comparison to last season. By all accounts a great bloke and I sincerely wish him well

#79 User is offline   spireitenag 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2024 - 05:21 PM

View PostCum on u blues, on 09 May 2024 - 05:18 PM, said:

Agree with most of the posters. Don't know why his drop in form was so big this season, chalk and cheese in comparison to last season. By all accounts a great bloke and I sincerely wish him well

Probably down to ongoing issues in his personal life ?

#80 User is offline   HaslandBlue58 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC,Travel,Real Ale,Music

Posted 09 May 2024 - 06:25 PM

View Postspireitenag, on 09 May 2024 - 05:21 PM, said:

Probably down to ongoing issues in his personal life ?

Whatever the reason, thoroughly nice guy, brilliant with the young fans, hope he gets back to his best sooner rather than later.
All the best Jeff.

Share this topic:

• (9 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users