Gateshead Away Away

#421 User is offline   HaslandBlue58 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post
  • Interests:CFC,Travel,Real Ale,Music

Posted 16 April 2024 - 10:09 AM

View PostWaller is my hero, on 16 April 2024 - 08:46 AM, said:

Those individuals slating Cook for having a break are just clowns…most of the squad had a break with their families …it’s totally disrespectful of those usual idiots.
They had the luxury of a 2 week period before the next game after a hectic multi game period, why not take a break
In fact now I think from my sick bed…didn’t Warpy criticise this?? The same person the club bent over backwards for to visit whilst in hospital!!??
Your morals have no bounds

A very apt Freudian slip in there,I feel?

#422 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 April 2024 - 10:13 AM

View PostSearch & Destroy, on 16 April 2024 - 07:01 AM, said:

We’ve scored 1 goal in six hours of football

That Curtis signing, a back up who’d never played 45 minutes of men’s football in his life

Quigley, a player who looks more like a competition winner you couldn’t find

Amazingly I don’t think many will see this season as particularly memorable

Well if you've learned more about the squad, I'm sure Cook has.

Can you just clear up whether you think these 2 players should have featured or not?
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#423 User is offline   HaslandBlue58 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post
  • Interests:CFC,Travel,Real Ale,Music

Posted 16 April 2024 - 10:13 AM

View PostWalton Spireite, on 15 April 2024 - 08:50 PM, said:

Get oldaker and Quighley loaned out as well. Maguire released as well.

Let's compare qualifications and earnings.

Soooo 80's Mister Enfield....

#424 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 16 April 2024 - 10:29 AM

View Postdim view, on 16 April 2024 - 09:04 AM, said:

In most cases the 'fee' consists purely of us being relieved of a player's wages. Still on balance a good deal for us.

Not if we are compensating players to go for smaller contracts elsewhere which is a distinct possibility. Now you are going to say that also would be a good deal if the compensation is small enough because we had a happy squad. Then I'll respond that I'd rather have players fighting for contracts than have players coasting around knowing they have another year. Which frankly would be a very strong argument if we hadn't observed some of out of contract players coasting about. At that point I'd get my coat.
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#425 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 16 April 2024 - 10:35 AM

View Postazul, on 16 April 2024 - 10:29 AM, said:

Not if we are compensating players to go for smaller contracts elsewhere which is a distinct possibility. Now you are going to say that also would be a good deal if the compensation is small enough because we had a happy squad. Then I'll respond that I'd rather have players fighting for contracts than have players coasting around knowing they have another year. Which frankly would be a very strong argument if we hadn't observed some of out of contract players coasting about. At that point I'd get my coat.

Ha, ha. So will I.
I'm sure its a question Cooky won't mind answering. There has to be a method behind the policy. It's just that we are guessing what it is.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#426 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 16 April 2024 - 10:37 AM

View PostSearch & Destroy, on 16 April 2024 - 07:01 AM, said:

We’ve scored 1 goal in six hours of football

That Curtis signing, a back up who’d never played 45 minutes of men’s football in his life

Quigley, a player who looks more like a competition winner you couldn’t find

Amazingly I don’t think many will see this season as particularly memorable

I can remember the season of every promotion I have witnessed at a drop of a hat and I suspect most supporters could do likewise.

And of course this promotion and one that got us back in the league so it will be extra special.

#427 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 16 April 2024 - 10:39 AM

View Postdim view, on 16 April 2024 - 10:35 AM, said:

Ha, ha. So will I.
I'm sure its a question Cooky won't mind answering. There has to be a method behind the policy. It's just that we are guessing what it is.

Well you are trying to guess. I just think he has made a mistake with some of them. They may turn out great in L2 or go for decent fees in which case I'd admit I was wrong

#428 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 16 April 2024 - 12:14 PM

View Postdim view, on 16 April 2024 - 10:35 AM, said:

Ha, ha. So will I.

Just so we get better odds on winning the league next season, he knows how to look after those that back us to win the league 👍
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#429 User is offline   Exharboroughspireite 

• ExHarboroughspireite
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2024 - 12:24 PM

shame most folk cant be objective on here and it becomes personal sniping. We always do this at the end of every year in terms of who to keep and who to let go/ wish to see move on. This year shouldnt be any different. There needs to be a bit of a reality check. L2 isnt going to be a million miles away from non league however it has been shown that a) we have been found out in terms of teams pressing us and holding their shape b) we dont move the ball forward quickly enough and c) our fringe players are not good enough.

I put in another thread that we need to be looking for
1. A second left back
2. A second right back
3. A centre half with pace to compliment Grimes (who I think is more than capable at L2)
4. A centre midfielder that can take the pressure off Naylor (who cant play every week)
5. Conn Clarke for the Number 10 shirt and if not a decent replacement
6. A centre forward with pace

I agree that oldaker, banks, palmer, quiqley, hobson and curtis have found their level and I agree that the decision to reward some with extended contracts was an emotional decision when we were 20 points clear. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

#430 User is offline   Paragon of Virtue 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2024 - 02:04 PM

View PostExharboroughspireite, on 16 April 2024 - 12:24 PM, said:

shame most folk cant be objective on here and it becomes personal sniping. We always do this at the end of every year in terms of who to keep and who to let go/ wish to see move on. This year shouldnt be any different. There needs to be a bit of a reality check. L2 isnt going to be a million miles away from non league however it has been shown that a) we have been found out in terms of teams pressing us and holding their shape b) we dont move the ball forward quickly enough and c) our fringe players are not good enough.

I put in another thread that we need to be looking for
1. A second left back
2. A second right back
3. A centre half with pace to compliment Grimes (who I think is more than capable at L2)
4. A centre midfielder that can take the pressure off Naylor (who cant play every week)
5. Conn Clarke for the Number 10 shirt and if not a decent replacement
6. A centre forward with pace

I agree that oldaker, banks, palmer, quiqley, hobson and curtis have found their level and I agree that the decision to reward some with extended contracts was an emotional decision when we were 20 points clear. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

We aren't going to sign Conn-Clarke, he'll be well out of our price range.

#431 User is offline   gordon_brittas 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2024 - 02:39 PM

View PostParagon of Virtue, on 16 April 2024 - 02:04 PM, said:

We aren't going to sign Conn-Clarke, he'll be well out of our price range.

Conn-Clarke will end up in League 1, probably at somewhere like Oxford or Lincoln.
Management Accepts New Ideas And Criticism...When Im Managaging think MANIAC!!

#432 User is offline   h again 

• Legend

Posted 16 April 2024 - 02:45 PM

View Postclarevoyant., on 16 April 2024 - 09:39 AM, said:

Fortunately these game changing incidents didn't really matter in the big scheme of things and the 2nd was so laughable all you could do was sit down, shake your head and revisit the 4 absolute stonewall penalties we've been denied this season and reflect that it's a good job we've been good and these bizarre decisions haven't been to costly.

Another, perhaps insignificant issue, when the term "integrity" has been bandied about in relation to NL decisions how about the integrity of the match officals displaying an inability to use a stop watch? Why does it always appear if town are hanging on in a game 6/7/8 minutes gets added, when we are chasing the game it's 3/4 minutes? The added 3 minutes last night was as big a mistake as the penalty cock ups, its not a snap decision like the penalty awards it's simple, the 4th official with time on his hands (sorry) keeps track. 30 seconds per sub X6 = 3 minutes, book a keeper for time wasting 1 minute plus if it warrented a booking he must have done it several times before 2? minutes. Playing on a wide open stadium so an allowance for ball retrieval 2 minutes, in saying that I thought the ballchildren (best be PC) were excellent. Other sundry bits 1 minute. Putting the correct time 8ish minutes in this case (Where's JD when you need him) not only gives the true 8 minutes to get something from the game but also gives the team an adrenaline rush a 'come on we do this" sort of thing.

I can't understand how officals leave them so open for criticism in such situations and leaving their integrity open for question unless they are adding to their CVs with a view of joining the NL management team.

Plus the statutory half minute for the goal. I remember at the beginning of the season that the league had decided that the fans should be given a full 90 minutes,and referees were instructed to add minutes at their discretion for time wasting tactics. It actually seemed to cut down the black arts at first, but it was dropped about 5 games in with no reason.
The fans can take what they're given, seems to be the policy again.

#433 User is offline   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2024 - 02:58 PM

View PostWalton Spireite, on 15 April 2024 - 09:27 PM, said:

I bet goku hasnt got 3 GCSE to rub together

Still waiting for you to say yours... by the way, he was in 6th form at Brookfield I believe so he will have more than that!

But enlighten us, what are your quals and earnings....you can include divis if you have inherited your dads firm and are running it but not if you just get an income as an investment...
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#434 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 16 April 2024 - 03:01 PM

Looks like the law makers are having a trial to look again at the length of time keepers hold the ball....the 6 second rule is technically still in the laws of the game but rarely implemented. Bloke from ESPN has posted a tweet thread about why refs havent been doing it and a trial that leagues can look to use should they wish....details on link below.
https://threadreader...resh=1713279551

#435 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 16 April 2024 - 03:25 PM

View PostCartman, on 15 April 2024 - 09:02 PM, said:

Exactly where I’m at

So **** it Saturday then play weakened team as you say full house it don't matter

#436 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 16 April 2024 - 03:38 PM

https://twitter.com/...9433814356?s=19
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#437 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 16 April 2024 - 03:50 PM

View PostJonB, on 16 April 2024 - 03:01 PM, said:

Looks like the law makers are having a trial to look again at the length of time keepers hold the ball....the 6 second rule is technically still in the laws of the game but rarely implemented. Bloke from ESPN has posted a tweet thread about why refs havent been doing it and a trial that leagues can look to use should they wish....details on link below.
https://threadreader...resh=1713279551

Whilst we are at it, at what point was it decided that the adding of ‘actual’ additional time that resulted in an extra 13 minutes being added to the 45 of the second half of the first game of the season, v Dorking be forgotten? Als we seem to have resumed with the usual 2 to 6. I can’t recall fully, but I don’t think there was any major delay in that game v Dorking was there?

#438 User is offline   gordon_brittas 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2024 - 03:56 PM

View Postspireitetoo, on 16 April 2024 - 03:38 PM, said:

Without doubt the worst penalty decision against us in 30+ years supporting this club. Utterly shameful refereeing.

This post has been edited by gordon_brittas: 16 April 2024 - 03:58 PM

Management Accepts New Ideas And Criticism...When Im Managaging think MANIAC!!

#439 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2024 - 04:16 PM

View PostJonB, on 16 April 2024 - 08:29 AM, said:

First one shouldnt be a penalty but it always given, he isnt getting the ball he's just leathered out of play for a goal kick then falls over the keeper. Second one he falls over the ball that Tyrer has taken and not touched the player.

exactly that referee was duped twice by the Gateshead forward who fell over twice when given the chance by the

movements of Harry Tyrer towards the ball both times likewise Dallas at Oldham who had also lost control of the ball when he went flying over Tyrers hands

These actions happen at such speed that the natural reaction is to give a penalty especially when its the home fans who shout loudly for the penalty putting more pressures on the referees

#440 User is offline   boot 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2024 - 04:21 PM

View Postazul, on 16 April 2024 - 10:37 AM, said:

I can remember the season of every promotion I have witnessed at a drop of a hat and I suspect most supporters could do likewise.

And of course this promotion and one that got us back in the league so it will be extra special.

The most important of all by a mile ! There has never been another that comes near to being so significant to the future of this football club. Six years to escape, and it could have been twenty, and the longer it went on the more the rot set in.

Share this topic:

• (25 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users