• You cannot reply to this topic

Wealdstone Matchday Thread

#141 User is offline   jonnythespireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 April 2024 - 05:50 PM

View PostBonnyman, on 13 April 2024 - 05:36 PM, said:

It would be nice for the team to actually play with the pride that comes with being a champion instead of playing like a set of pussies, cant be doing with some of the lilly livered comments on here , like the old motivating comment on the wall at the boxing gym used to say winners never quit and quitters never win.

Funny how we don’t win when Grigg doesn’t play isn’t it?

View Postronpowellsbutler, on 13 April 2024 - 05:32 PM, said:

I don’t care what people say about looking at the whole season in context, job done etc. etc.
Today was ( again ) pathetic.
You would have thought Wealdstone would be worn out by the second half but we couldn’t manage one shot on goal.
Pass pass pass is fine but there was no final ball.
Plus we actually got away with a couple of through balls in the first half.
The home lot must have gone home thinking how did we manage to win the league.
Bah !!

Did we not win the league by being brilliant for 30 odd games ? As in overperformed.

View Postronpowellsbutler, on 13 April 2024 - 05:32 PM, said:

I don’t care what people say about looking at the whole season in context, job done etc. etc.
Today was ( again ) pathetic.
You would have thought Wealdstone would be worn out by the second half but we couldn’t manage one shot on goal.
Pass pass pass is fine but there was no final ball.
Plus we actually got away with a couple of through balls in the first half.
The home lot must have gone home thinking how did we manage to win the league.
Bah !!

Did we not win the league by being brilliant for 30 odd games ? As in overperformed.
YOU CHOOSE YOUR LEADERS AND PLACE YOUR TRUST AS THEIR LIES WASH YOU DOWN AND THEIR PROMISES RUST.

#142 User is offline   jonnythespireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2024 - 05:54 PM

View Postazul, on 13 April 2024 - 05:38 PM, said:

So the club would be better off if people are put off buying season tickets because they’d come anyway?

Not that I believe that ST sales will drop significantly because of recent performances but that is truly baffling logic - do you ever wonder why clubs push season tickets so hard?

Sorry. My logic appears to be above your comprehension. Never mind.
YOU CHOOSE YOUR LEADERS AND PLACE YOUR TRUST AS THEIR LIES WASH YOU DOWN AND THEIR PROMISES RUST.

#143 User is offline   gordon_brittas 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2024 - 05:57 PM

View Postazul, on 13 April 2024 - 05:48 PM, said:

Apparently we have some big events happening at the final game to entertain the punters.

Hopefully it will involve a decent team selection and performance.

An event that will be spoiled on the pitch by Maidenhead and their anti footballers and our own personal shortcomings.
Management Accepts New Ideas And Criticism...When Im Managaging think MANIAC!!

#144 User is offline   ronpowellsbutler 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Irony

Posted 13 April 2024 - 05:57 PM

Yes, that’s why the current form is so puzzling.
I won’t be at Gateshead on Monday but would like to see a shot for my £9.50.

#145 User is offline   Cum on u blues 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 13 April 2024 - 05:58 PM

dtp said:

1713029649[/url]' post='1817232']
Then again, until very very recently posters were saying how strong our squad was. Now that it's been somewhat depleted the fringe players are being given their chance whilst the management have the opportunity to decide whether or not any of them deserve an extension to their contracts. This is their last chance to assess them and to confirm what is needed to improve the squad for next season.

There was a time, not long ago, that posters were saying this squad is good enough to compete at the top end of L2. Probably now they have changed their minds. It has to be remembered that in L2 we have to cope with injuries as we can't bring players in throughout the season. We can only have 22 outfield players over the age of 21 so they all need to be able to step in and perform as and when required. Currently, our fringe players are struggling to do that at NL level and some of our more experienced regulars are showing they cannot cope without the mainstays of the team. Logically, a lot is being learned about individual players a present.

However, surely, the work on next season is well under way with targets identified with a view to plugging the deficiencies within the current squad so I don't see it as time wasted. I do see the poor end to the season as being very disappointing though.

My opinion hasn’t changed throughout the season and often I’ve been criticized from all PC lovers. Let’s be honest with ourselves he’s only got one way of playing and that’s why he’s back where he started. Unless the leopard changes his spots we’ll be saying the same things next season mark my words. The defence has been poor but not entirely by their own individual failings in my opinion. When the only advice is « press » from the touchline no wonder we got caught out so often especially when we’re incapable of taking chances to pierce the opposition’s 18 yard line. Players seem scared or programmed to not losing the ball at all costs with no end result. Stockport and Wrexham go up this year and hats off to them for this achievement but it’s not just due to pretty football. They go for the jugular in most games I’ve seen. We prefer to try to walk it in the net and this just doesn’t work. Even our unloved local rivals play exciting football I hate to say which I doubt we can match at present. Lots of work to be done in the close season all round

#146 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2024 - 06:09 PM

View PostCum on u blues, on 13 April 2024 - 05:58 PM, said:

My opinion hasn’t changed throughout the season and often I’ve been criticized from all PC lovers. Let’s be honest with ourselves he’s only got one way of playing and that’s why he’s back where he started. Unless the leopard changes his spots we’ll be saying the same things next season mark my words. The defence has been poor but not entirely by their own individual failings in my opinion. When the only advice is « press » from the touchline no wonder we got caught out so often especially when we’re incapable of taking chances to pierce the opposition’s 18 yard line. Players seem scared or programmed to not losing the ball at all costs with no end result. Stockport and Wrexham go up this year and hats off to them for this achievement but it’s not just due to pretty football. They go for the jugular in most games I’ve seen. We prefer to try to walk it in the net and this just doesn’t work. Even our unloved local rivals play exciting football I hate to say which I doubt we can match at present. Lots of work to be done in the close season all round

Although Stockport only scored 87 from 44 games in their Championship season and 86 from 43 this season.

#147 User is offline   jonnythespireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2024 - 06:09 PM

Nurse !!!!
Can everyone go outside and have a look around please because there’s a village somewhere missing it’s idiot….

#148 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 13 April 2024 - 06:21 PM

View PostBonnyman, on 13 April 2024 - 05:36 PM, said:

It would be nice for the team to actually play with the pride that comes with being a champion instead of playing like a set of pussies, cant be doing with some of the lilly livered comments on here , like the old motivating comment on the wall at the boxing gym used to say winners never quit and quitters never win.

And how do you reconcile that quote with the fact we smashed the league to bits and had it won by Jan?

View Postjonnythespireite, on 13 April 2024 - 06:09 PM, said:

Nurse !!!!
Can everyone go outside and have a look around please because there’s a village somewhere missing it’s idiot….

A bigger moron you will not find

#149 User is offline   Spireiteboy155 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2024 - 06:35 PM

View PostBluekent, on 13 April 2024 - 04:52 PM, said:

This is a perfect example of why not to post smug comments until the final whistle.

Awful from us again btw. Let’s not read too much into it regarding next season etc , it’s clearly a case of already being on the beach but it’s still not acceptable, people have paid their money. At least look bothered.

Correct in everything you say.
We are in no position to be laughing at those Stags, particular given our recent performances.
Just makes us look foolish.

#150 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend

Posted 13 April 2024 - 06:44 PM

Best manager we ever had
JRID

#151 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2024 - 06:50 PM

My opinion hasn’t changed throughout the season and often I’ve been criticized from all PC lovers. Let’s be honest with ourselves he’s only got one way of playing and that’s why he’s back where he started. Unless the leopard changes his spots we’ll be saying the same things next season mark my words.

I sincerely hope “we’ll be saying the same things next season” if that means we’ve won the league at a canter and crowned champions before anybody else in all other divisions.

I dread the thought.

We can argue football all we like. I too would like to see a different Plan B or C but, credit where credit’s due, Cook & Co have got us back up to L2 first and foremost.

What happens next season remains to be seen but one thing is for certain we can’t criticise it until, at least, the first ball has been kicked. Seems you can, though, after all you’ve been proved right this season!!!

#152 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2024 - 06:53 PM

View PostSpireiteboy155, on 13 April 2024 - 06:35 PM, said:

Correct in everything you say.
We are in no position to be laughing at those Stags, particular given our recent performances.
Just makes us look foolish.

And, let me be the first to congratulate the Stags on their pending promotion.

The fact that they’ve had some lousy results should act to remind us that it’s the teams with the most points after 46 games that win promotion.

#153 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend

Posted 13 April 2024 - 06:56 PM

Painters and decorators that have played 4 times in a week😂
JRID

#154 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 13 April 2024 - 07:20 PM

View PostSearch & Destroy, on 13 April 2024 - 06:56 PM, said:

Painters and decorators that have played 4 times in a week😂

Gonna ask you this simple question in the full knowledge you won't answer thereby underlining the pathetic sniping you're reduced to.

Exactly what point are you trying to make....?
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#155 User is offline   bucko 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2024 - 07:25 PM

Just got back

Firstly we set out to get promoted at the beginning of the season and this has been achieved comfortably 👍👍

Now the players and management team then should play with pride and passion for the supporters travelling around the country.

Today we lack intensity, and treated it like a pre season friendly kick about, not good enough.

I would rather see youngsters given the chance than see players half hearted efforts in front of another excellent following.

Pleased for Wealdstone, nice set up and a friendly bunch and we finally watched a match in decent weather 🌞🌞🌞🌞

#156 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 13 April 2024 - 07:26 PM

View PostGoku, on 13 April 2024 - 06:21 PM, said:

And how do you reconcile that quote with the fact we smashed the league to bits and had it won by Jan?

Agree totally.
Simple fact is we’ve been our own worst enemy by winning the League by the end of January, an achievement that should never go unrecognised. Job done!
But the recent fall off a mini cliff has been disappointing, and sadly it’s given the few on here with an anti Cook..no I’ve no idea why you would have that mind set..and anti certain players a platform to snipe.
Well start next season in L2, and that’s all that matters. If anyone thinks a manager who’s won L1, L2 twice and the NL, and, it could be argued, made the basis of a Championship squad that could well be Premier League bound, doesn’t know what he’s doing is laughable.
I’ll worry about next season, well, next season
East stand second class citizen.

#157 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend

Posted 13 April 2024 - 07:31 PM

That was aweful from the entire team, lacking a desire to win. We had no idea how to break them down, passing back and sideways all the time, did their keeper make more than one save. Disappointing recent performances and I am worried that we will gate hammered at the Heed. Not even another big following could lift them today. I will be glad when the final whistle goes next Saturday, I need a break from football.q
lindave

#158 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 13 April 2024 - 07:36 PM

View Postlindave, on 13 April 2024 - 07:31 PM, said:

That was aweful from the entire team, lacking a desire to win. We had no idea how to break them down, passing back and sideways all the time, did their keeper make more than one save.....

Nobody leading the line.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#159 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend

Posted 13 April 2024 - 07:41 PM

View Postdim view, on 13 April 2024 - 07:36 PM, said:

Nobody leading the line.

The White Pele?
JRID

#160 User is offline   Bluekent 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2024 - 07:50 PM

View PostSearch & Destroy, on 13 April 2024 - 06:44 PM, said:

Best manager we ever had

He is. Won us 2 championships. One of which was won by the end of January. So glad you appreciate it .

This post has been edited by Bluekent: 13 April 2024 - 07:52 PM

Share this topic:

• (11 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users