• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Oxford City Thread

#161 User is offline   HoneyTrippa 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 March 2024 - 02:07 PM

Their manager seems to think that they were unlucky and that they could have got something out of the game. He also stated that he believes some of his players could maybe get in the Chesterfield starting xi. Nice guy but clearly deluded. Yes they did have a couple of chances and a missed penalty but come on..... i sometimes think the occasion gets to some of these managers. Much prefer classy, knowledgeable managers like Kevin M at Southend... who acknowledged the 3-0 defeat at the SMH keeping it real, with respect and class.
There aint no Soul left in these old shoes... since you've been gone

#162 User is offline   Spireite93 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2024 - 02:17 PM

View PostHoneyTrippa, on 13 March 2024 - 02:07 PM, said:

Their manager seems to think that they were unlucky and that they could have got something out of the game. He also stated that he believes some of his players could maybe get in the Chesterfield starting xi. Nice guy but clearly deluded. Yes they did have a couple of chances and a missed penalty but come on..... i sometimes think the occasion gets to some of these managers. Much prefer classy, knowledgeable managers like Kevin M at Southend... who acknowledged the 3-0 defeat at the SMH keeping it real, with respect and class.

o be fair, based on last nights performance he's probably right that they deserved something out of the game, it could very easily have been a high scoring draw given our kamikaze defending at times.

I'd hardly call him deluded for bigging up his players for working hard when struggling at the bottom of the league and we were way off the pace for the most part and don't have a devine right to be complemented by every visiting manager, especially not last night, that being said we did what we needed to do

#163 User is offline   kopblue 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2024 - 02:51 PM

View Postmetallilad, on 13 March 2024 - 01:49 PM, said:

So, because they arrived later it's up to the club to supply better food & drink free of charge?
I didn't get a free pint either, but I didnt take a photo of a cup of tea and spit my dummy out. If it's free then how can it be complained about, it's not up to the club to ensure that away supporters are fed & watered. The club sell drink & food to make money so if a small number of supporters turn up and get free drinks & cakes then I don't see why they firstly should complain or have our own supporters being so stupid to say that they should have their money back for their ticket.
And I won't shut up either, it's a public forum where I have just as much right to air my views as you do, no matter how distant the views are!!

If Carson and Co were still at the helm I doubt you’d be of the same opinion, the stewards could have been instructed to walk them to the north stand concourse and if necessary let them get served straight away as they were only 26 in total, sorry but that’s tinpot by us

#164 User is offline   HaslandBlue58 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post
  • Interests:CFC,Travel,Real Ale,Music

Posted 13 March 2024 - 03:35 PM

View PostOsborne again, on 13 March 2024 - 11:31 AM, said:

Yep, you're right, his first touch is a little wayward to say the least sometimes. It's as if he has an Alpha moment or two, but I would hope, with a little effort,that could be ironed out when the squad returns after the summer break.
Would you keep Jeff King for next season?

I think to keep him would be a heart ruling the head moment.IMO he has not had many good games since December 22,so no.

#165 User is offline   HaslandBlue58 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2024 - 03:41 PM

View Postmetallilad, on 13 March 2024 - 01:49 PM, said:

So, because they arrived later it's up to the club to supply better food & drink free of charge?
I didn't get a free pint either, but I didnt take a photo of a cup of tea and spit my dummy out. If it's free then how can it be complained about, it's not up to the club to ensure that away supporters are fed & watered. The club sell drink & food to make money so if a small number of supporters turn up and get free drinks & cakes then I don't see why they firstly should complain or have our own supporters being so stupid to say that they should have their money back for their ticket.
And I won't shut up either, it's a public forum where I have just as much right to air my views as you do, no matter how distant the views are!!

On this matter I totally agree with you.If they are travelling so far and leave things like needing food to chance,especially for an evening match,then the blame lies with them.

#166 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2024 - 03:49 PM

View PostHaslandBlue58, on 13 March 2024 - 03:41 PM, said:

On this matter I totally agree with you.If they are travelling so far and leave things like needing food to chance,especially for an evening match,then the blame lies with them.

Especially when within a stones throw of the ground there is KFC, Costa Coffee, Greggs, Subway, Batch House, Casa, Donkey Derby and Lockoford Inn before you even get to the other takeway options along Sheffield Road then things like Tesco, Aldi and Asda as well....you can probably even get a sandwich at that petrol station across from the Donkey Derby if you really want to!

#167 User is offline   clarevoyant. 

• Legend

Posted 13 March 2024 - 04:12 PM

View PostJonB, on 13 March 2024 - 03:49 PM, said:

Especially when within a stones throw of the ground there is KFC, Costa Coffee, Greggs, Subway, Batch House, Casa, Donkey Derby and Lockoford Inn before you even get to the other takeway options along Sheffield Road then things like Tesco, Aldi and Asda as well....you can probably even get a sandwich at that petrol station across from the Donkey Derby if you really want to!

Yes. Some chap/chapess from Oxford as missed out on a burger (no doubt if it had been catered for he'd have been vegan anyway) had a moan and low and behold folk jump on the bandwagon and have a good moan just for the sake of moaning.
Derbyshire is Derbyshire
Yorkshire is Yorkshire

Never the twain shall meet.
Again

#168 User is offline   1982Spireite 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2024 - 04:16 PM

If idiots stopped treating football as an excuse to act like ***** this kinda thing wouldn’t even be an issue. We could have reserved Oxford 26 seats in the far corner of the East and just sat all our fans next to them and they could have used the facilities.
Unfortunately the few ruin it for the masses

#169 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 13 March 2024 - 04:25 PM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 13 March 2024 - 11:34 AM, said:

They never flag nowadays til well after the play. Stupid idea, should just flag as soon as they are off. He’d have been given off eventually.

Are you suggesting the flag should go up as soon as the ball is passed and a player happens to be in an offside position? That rule changed ages ago so a linesman has to wait for a player to actually touch the ball or interfere with an opponent. I think that gets conflated with the new VAR interpretations where they let the passage of play complete, for example a shot at goal.
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#170 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 13 March 2024 - 04:32 PM

View Postazul, on 13 March 2024 - 04:25 PM, said:

Are you suggesting the flag should go up as soon as the ball is passed and a player happens to be in an offside position? That rule changed ages ago so a linesman has to wait for a player to actually touch the ball or interfere with an opponent. I think that gets conflated with the new VAR interpretations where they let the passage of play complete, for example a shot at goal.

Agreed. To my mind the Assistant Referees assessed that Parker wasn’t offside in either of the two major breakaways, as the flag never went up, even though the first incident included a cross and two attempts on goal. (Whether he should have been adjudged office is another issue).

Whereas Grigg was flagged offside a couple of times as soon as he touched the ball.

#171 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 13 March 2024 - 05:23 PM

Spent the day trying to think why I too felt so, well, to repeat the word, 'flat' last evening.

We're wazzing the league, for crying out loud. We're capable of playing like Brazil at times. We're getting more through the gate than most League Two and One outfits.

Yet the adrenaline remained stubbornly AWOL.

But then it occurred to me - there was no jeopardy. No nerves. No sense of anything hanging on the result. We're going up, it's only a matter of time, and we all kinda knew bottom side Oxford were going home with nowt.

In fact even the most unlikely result of the season was only gonna delay the inevitable.

I guess it was like when England play a qualifier against a collection of part timers and mercenaries turning out under the flag of some obscure footballing outpost. It's not a case of if we'll win, it's by how many. So you sit back, relax, wait for the goal fest to come, then...

..urgh. Two nil. 'Only' two nil.

Many might read this and accuse me or us of arrogance. Wrexham-esque entitled arrogance. Okay, fair enough. However it's just an honest recognition of how far Chesterfield FC has come since we were celebrating last second equalisers simply to stay in the fifth tier...

This post has been edited by The Earl of Chesterfield: 13 March 2024 - 05:28 PM

Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#172 User is offline   Snowflake McBedwetter 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2024 - 05:30 PM

View Post1982Spireite, on 13 March 2024 - 04:16 PM, said:

If idiots stopped treating football as an excuse to act like ***** this kinda thing wouldn’t even be an issue. We could have reserved Oxford 26 seats in the far corner of the East and just sat all our fans next to them and they could have used the facilities.
Unfortunately the few ruin it for the masses

Definitely the fans fault.

Nothing to do with those in charge of the concourses, who BTW, think it's acceptable to dole out overpriced rammel to their own fans 'because it sells'.

#173 User is offline   Lincs Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2024 - 05:59 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 13 March 2024 - 05:23 PM, said:

Spent the day trying to think why I too felt so, well, to repeat the word, 'flat' last evening.

We're wazzing the league, for crying out loud. We're capable of playing like Brazil at times. We're getting more through the gate than most League Two and One outfits.

But then it occurred to me - there was no jeopardy. No nerves. No sense of anything hanging on the result. We're going up, it's only a matter of time, and we all kinda knew bottom side Oxford were going home with nowt.

In fact even the most unlikely result of the season was only gonna delay the inevitable.

I guess it was like when England play a qualifier against a collection of part timers and mercenaries turning out under the flag of some obscure footballing outpost. It's not a case of if we'll win, it's by how many. So you sit back, relax, wait for the goal fest to come, then...

Many might read this and accuse me or us of arrogance. Wrexham-esque entitled arrogance. Okay, fair enough. However it's just an honest recognition of how far Chesterfield FC has come since we were celebrating last second equalisers simply to stay in the fifth tier...

Yes I think a lot felt the same way, I certainly did.

I think some of it is because we know what we are capable of after watching us go toe to toe with much bigger clubs and more than hold our own. With exciting edge of the seat football, and well, the Oxford game wasn't so we felt a bit cheated as we expected them to get hammered.
Maybe the lads knew they didn't have to try too hard to get the win, I don't know.

But I hope we step up a few gears at Oldham.

#174 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 13 March 2024 - 06:09 PM

Evening. That’s not what I felt. I thought in the first half there was tremendous tension in the dugout and that it may well have been transmitted on to the pitch.
Last night was THE match that transforms the fortunes of club, players, and staff and, by the way, their prosperity.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#175 User is offline   jonnythespireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2024 - 06:12 PM

This is bang on. Our results in January and the poor form of anyone below us since then too meant we'd pretty much won the league then. Since February performances have been largely average as has the atmosphere in the ground. It;s over - has been for weeks. The players know it and we all know it.
YOU CHOOSE YOUR LEADERS AND PLACE YOUR TRUST AS THEIR LIES WASH YOU DOWN AND THEIR PROMISES RUST.

#176 User is offline   Painted Wagon 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2024 - 06:30 PM

Is 26 the lowest number at the new ground?

#177 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 13 March 2024 - 06:46 PM

View Postjonnythespireite, on 13 March 2024 - 06:12 PM, said:

This is bang on. Our results in January and the poor form of anyone below us since then too meant we'd pretty much won the league then. Since February performances have been largely average as has the atmosphere in the ground. It;s over - has been for weeks. The players know it and we all know it.

Nail on head!
East stand second class citizen.

#178 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 13 March 2024 - 06:46 PM

View PostPainted Wagon, on 13 March 2024 - 06:30 PM, said:

Is 26 the lowest number at the new ground?

No, it's 0 from the Covid times!
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#179 User is offline   Osborne again 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2024 - 06:48 PM

View PostHaslandBlue58, on 13 March 2024 - 03:35 PM, said:

I think to keep him would be a heart ruling the head moment.IMO he has not had many good games since December 22,so no.

I think that it was reported that he was having family problems earlier in the season, and if so,he has my sympathy, but he seems to have really lost his way. The last game he played, he didn't try to get back into a defensive position half the time and when he did he looked indifferent to the attacking threat. Now I like King, and really see him more of an attacking influence than a defensive one so it's hardly likely that Cook will keep him because he has an embarrassment of riches in that department. Can we turn him into a striker 😁. Joking apart, I can't see him being here next season.

#180 User is offline   HaslandBlue58 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 March 2024 - 08:13 PM

View PostSnowflake McBedwetter, on 13 March 2024 - 05:30 PM, said:

Definitely the fans fault.

Nothing to do with those in charge of the concourses, who BTW, think it's acceptable to dole out overpriced rammel to their own fans 'because it sells'.

Which is worse, keep doling out 'rammel',or keep buying 'rammel'.A fine line I would say.I can count on one hand the amount of items I have bought since we moved to B2Net/Proact/SMH (fill in as appropriate),and all have been hot drinks.Just a look around at people eating their purchases from the concourse should be enough to make most sane people steer clear.As has been rightly observed previously,there is a plethora of food outlets all around the ground, selling usually more than edible products.If the product is poor do not buy,which will be the only way to get change.The club choice will be either improve or stop providing the service.I have no experience in this area, but would think it provides good revenue.

Share this topic:

• (10 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users