• You cannot reply to this topic

End Of An Era Bobs Board The Future

#181 User is offline   Webster 

• First Team Player
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:beer

Posted 07 February 2024 - 12:23 PM

moondog, on 06 February 2024 - 10:56 PM, said:

I don't know, depends on the hosts attitude to it not being funded, something to look into as part of the decision making process

This board wont be accessible after June 1st ish as it stands

50+ points survival
72+ points Play off's
83+ points Party Time

#182 User is offline   manc_spire 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 February 2024 - 08:36 PM

Goku, on 07 February 2024 - 11:11 AM, said:

You've said enough for me to think you should be taking the lead on this tbh :lol:

Another vote for our project lead

The first decision needs to be do we want to keep existing posts, or are we happy to start fresh?
If it's the former, then that rules out certain options, or makes them trickier and/or cost money.

Decisions about mods/personal sections/colour of background can all take place once that's done.

#183 User is offline   HaslandBlue58 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post
  • Interests:CFC,Travel,Real Ale,Music

Posted 08 February 2024 - 11:02 AM

Would it be useful to whoever takes the technical lead (hopefully someone will),to open a thread asking members to list the sections they would like to see on a new board,no waffle just list?
For example, mine would be:

Spireite Debate
In Memorium

#184 User is offline   dart in the crossbar 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 February 2024 - 11:09 AM

HaslandBlue58, on 08 February 2024 - 11:02 AM, said:

Would it be useful to whoever takes the technical lead (hopefully someone will),to open a thread asking members to list the sections they would like to see on a new board,no waffle just list?
For example, mine would be:

Spireite Debate
In Memorium

Spirite Debate from the Technical Stadium
In Memorium

#185 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend

Posted 08 February 2024 - 09:02 PM

Webster, on 07 February 2024 - 12:23 PM, said:

This board wont be accessible after June 1st ish as it stands

Can't we do something like the Non League matters website, where after the founder passed away they moved to a new platform but left a link in the old one, which is now read only ?

https://www.nonleagu...guest=430290141

#186 User is offline   Cfc4me 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 09 February 2024 - 07:19 AM

moondog, on 08 February 2024 - 09:02 PM, said:

Can't we do something like the Non League matters website, where after the founder passed away they moved to a new platform but left a link in the old one, which is now read only ?

https://www.nonleagu...guest=430290141

Providing it's the self hosted version we have (and I think it is) then yes it should be possible to do that or migrate it to a different Web hosting company. The only thing that's not clear is if we currently pay invision an annual licence/support fee every year. If so then we would have to carry on doing that.

As this one get closer to closing down I'd suggest we copy all the files and database from the current Web server onto a laptop somewhere so it can either be moved or converted to a different forum later.

#187 User is offline   moondog 

• Legend

Posted 09 February 2024 - 08:11 AM

Cfc4me, on 09 February 2024 - 07:19 AM, said:

Providing it's the self hosted version we have (and I think it is) then yes it should be possible to do that or migrate it to a different Web hosting company. The only thing that's not clear is if we currently pay invision an annual licence/support fee every year. If so then we would have to carry on doing that.

As this one get closer to closing down I'd suggest we copy all the files and database from the current Web server onto a laptop somewhere so it can either be moved or converted to a different forum later.

Thanks, we do pay a fee, this was what the Bridge/Barrel Inn travel sponsorship covered, maybe if it doesn't need support it will be a lower fee, although if we are getting support it leaves a lot to be desired

#188 User is offline   Al Weller 

• Academy Player
  • Group: Admin

Posted 11 February 2024 - 06:50 PM

Cfc4me, on 09 February 2024 - 07:19 AM, said:

I’m a lurker here rather than an active poster but I’ve got some experience with forums and data migration and would be happy to help out. I’ve also got access to webspace that the data could be moved to ahead of any current licenses or hosting expiring.

Al

#189 User is offline   Andy Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Er..............Town!

Posted 11 February 2024 - 06:52 PM

Al Weller, on 11 February 2024 - 06:50 PM, said:

I’m a lurker here rather than an active poster but I’ve got some experience with forums and data migration and would be happy to help out. I’ve also got access to webspace that the data could be moved to ahead of any current licenses or hosting expiring.

Al

Not all heroes wear capes. Thank you Al!

#190 User is offline   HaslandBlue58 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 February 2024 - 08:15 PM

Al Weller, on 11 February 2024 - 06:50 PM, said:

Al

As a pensioner self taught in basic computer use all I could offer is some of my time and a financial contribution,my thanks and gratitude to you if you are taking this on,my offer of time still stands, but it is someone with your skills we require.I think this a much more important project than just the creating of a website as I truly feel it is a community asset.Well done that man 👍

#191 Guest_Quaker_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 12 February 2024 - 11:52 AM

So it sounds like we has someone willing to finance the new message board and someone willing to administer it. Do we have the green light to start the transition, Webby or do we have to wait until June or the end of the season?

#192 User is offline   Webster 

• First Team Player

Posted 12 February 2024 - 02:14 PM

Quaker, on 12 February 2024 - 11:52 AM, said:

So it sounds like we has someone willing to finance the new message board and someone willing to administer it. Do we have the green light to start the transition, Webby or do we have to wait until June or the end of the season?

It can start whenever
50+ points survival
72+ points Play off's
83+ points Party Time

#193 User is offline   dart in the crossbar 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2024 - 10:12 AM

Webster, on 12 February 2024 - 02:14 PM, said:

It can start whenever

Are there potential GDPR issues regarding the release / transfer of data?

I'd guess that the 'data' that may be affected may be:

1) The personal information of members on original sign-up to the board (any names, adresses, emails etc).

2) The information shared by members through the board's private messages;

3) Content of posts made by members.

I'd guess that the t&c's on the board compared with the t&c's of the new board would be relevant too. Specifically the 'how your information will be used' aspects.

I'm no expert on GDPR, but I think that it's probably an aspect that warrants attention prior to any porting of data and information away from the board.

#194 User is offline   HaslandBlue58 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 February 2024 - 10:53 AM

As a point of interest,is there actually anyone taking lead on this regarding actions and progress and coordinating?I am assuming it would be someone like a moderator but I have no idea how these things happen.
I am sure most members would be interested,and relieved, to know if any progress is being made and if we can be of help in any way.

#195 Guest_Quaker_*

Posted 13 February 2024 - 11:00 AM

HaslandBlue58, on 13 February 2024 - 10:53 AM, said:

As a point of interest,is there actually anyone taking lead on this regarding actions and progress and coordinating?I am assuming it would be someone like a moderator but I have no idea how these things happen.
I am sure most members would be interested,and relieved, to know if any progress is being made and if we can be of help in any way.

I am sure things will be happening in the background.

#196 User is offline   Webster 

• First Team Player

Posted 13 February 2024 - 01:51 PM

moondog, on 09 February 2024 - 08:11 AM, said:

Thanks, we do pay a fee, this was what the Bridge/Barrel Inn travel sponsorship covered, maybe if it doesn't need support it will be a lower fee, although if we are getting support it leaves a lot to be desired

We pay a hosting fee to ukhost4u nothing to invision beyond Bobs original lifetime? license

If whoever intertested it looking at the datea backendr I can upgrade their membership
50+ points survival
72+ points Play off's
83+ points Party Time

#197 User is offline   HaslandBlue58 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 February 2024 - 03:28 PM

Quaker, on 13 February 2024 - 11:00 AM, said:

I am sure things will be happening in the background.

Is it wise to assume something is happening in the background?

#198 Guest_Quaker_*

Posted 14 February 2024 - 05:47 PM

HaslandBlue58, on 14 February 2024 - 03:28 PM, said:

Is it wise to assume something is happening in the background?

Well it either is or it isn’t The world won’t end either way.

#199 User is offline   Al Weller 

• Academy Player
  • Group: Admin

Posted 14 February 2024 - 08:16 PM

Webster, on 13 February 2024 - 01:51 PM, said:

If whoever intertested it looking at the datea backendr I can upgrade their membership

I’ve tried to PM you but I don’t think it’s getting through, I’m guessing as an admin you can see my email address - would you be able to contact me off board?

#200 Guest_Quaker_*

Posted 15 February 2024 - 09:45 AM

Al Weller, on 14 February 2024 - 08:16 PM, said:

I’ve tried to PM you but I don’t think it’s getting through, I’m guessing as an admin you can see my email address - would you be able to contact me off board?

Morning, Al,

Firstly, good for you for taking this on, its not an easy task.

Secondly, can I just make it absolutely clear that I dont want any of my details or posts etc transfering to the new forum.

Cheers

Mark

Share this topic:

• (19 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users