• You cannot reply to this topic

Cookies Just Said It

#41 User is online   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 27 August 2023 - 07:43 AM

I got slated for it

Bringing in those youngsters who won’t make the bench, paying out for another keeper and refusing to play LM are baffling decisions

Jacobs looks like this years Cooper
JRID

#42 User is offline   Between The Sticks 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 August 2023 - 08:13 AM

View Postdtp, on 26 August 2023 - 05:34 PM, said:

Or, strikers!!!

But, first of all, I believe he stated at the end of last season that we only needed a few incomings. I took this as meaning 3 or 4. Instead, I believe, he's made closer to 8 signings which includes a couple of keepers both of whom could be first choices elsewhere. But, no defenders.

He knew his budget. He should have known what we needed. He made the signings based on what he felt we needed. He has made signings that haven't even made the bench yet. Now, we need players out before any come in. What a surprise. But, not as big a surprise as him not bolstering the defence in the close season.

In the short time he was at Ipswich he got rid of 12 players and brought in 19, then when leaving, I am told by a number of Ipswich long term season ticket holders,he said he wasn't backed by the owners.

This post has been edited by Between The Sticks: 27 August 2023 - 08:21 AM

#43 User is online   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2023 - 08:22 AM

View Postplannerj, on 27 August 2023 - 07:31 AM, said:

You must have been watching different games to me. I think Naylor has been excellent and I wouldn’t fault him. In my 7 viewings of the team since the start of pre-season, he has been by far the best of the new signings. Not seen much to enthuse about in the rest, so far.

I have only seen the two home games and one friendly and I agree with you about Naylor. He has a willingness to move forward when the opportunity arises but the problem is that when he does there is nobody capable of coveting the space he leaves. Neither Banks nor Oldaker appear naturally to provide that additional protection so, perhaps, it is time to try Jones or even the more mobile Hobson.

Grigg has shown some excellent ball control and touches but the ball rarely reaches him. Despite him saying he like the lone striker role (I mean, he's got to say it hasn't he?) he looks like he needs help and would then see more of the ball. The McCallum Dallas combination seemed to work ok because neither striker was isolated. So, until Grigg gets some support from someone in Cook's beloved three I am not going to judge him. Others don't seem to like me mentioning two up front but are willing to mention somebody a No10 role which is akin to the same thing.

I'm not sure exactly how many players Cook has either signed or re-signed in 18 months but it must number in the thirties. By now, he should know the league, he should know his squad, and he shouldn't really be thinking about anymore signings after the quantity he's already made. So, is it the team or the system which is lacking?

#44 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 27 August 2023 - 08:26 AM

Give me Dallas over grigg any day

#45 User is offline   meowdmucker 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2023 - 08:58 AM

View Postplannerj, on 27 August 2023 - 07:31 AM, said:

You must have been watching different games to me. I think Naylor has been excellent and I wouldn’t fault him. In my 7 viewings of the team since the start of pre-season, he has been by far the best of the new signings. Not seen much to enthuse about in the rest, so far.

Yes, like I said, Ive not seen enough of him. Only three games for me. You're in a better position to judge after watching 7 games and glad you think he's proving a good acquisition. He has to be as will no doubt be on a tidy salary for this level.

#46 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 27 August 2023 - 09:09 AM

View Postdtp, on 27 August 2023 - 08:22 AM, said:

So, is it the team or the system which is lacking?

Having slept on it, I have part of the answer.

Fitness levels.
Dyer said we'd be the fittest team in the division and we aren't. Yesterday we started 3 short of our best team, Dobra still unable to complete 90 minutes, and King and Jacobs desperately short of game time. One of our subs, Colclough, is not 100% fit. On top of that, I know nowt, but I'd personally wager that Mandeville is carrying a knock as he's not himself.
That all adds up to no combination of our famous '3' functioning properly, especially defensively, for 100 minutes.

Is the new training ground development running behind schedule?
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#47 User is offline   kh83 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2023 - 09:17 AM

CFC91, on 27 August 2023 - 05:20 AM, said:

I think the issue goes beyond yesterday. The same things happened in every game so far, we get ahead, don’t kill the game off, take our foot off the gas, appear to think we can cruise through the rest of it, invite teams onto us, they grow in confidence and the inevitable happens

We set ourselves up alright but the in game management and our ethos beyond that is poor. We should have gone for the jugular yesterday, as we should against Dorking, Oxford and Oldham when on top. We did at Fylde, and still did all of the above and let them back into it

Spot on!

It’s the tactics from the bench that lost us that game. 1-0 up after 15 minutes and they looked awful, they where there for the taking.
But what do we do? Instead of pushing on, going for the jugular and trying to get a second, we sit back and deliberately slow the game down. We had all the possession and dictated the pace of the game but that pace was slow, boring and ponderous.. those instructions have come from the bench.

At 3-0 up with 15 mins to go it’s fine but 1-0 up with 75 left, this is a huge mistake in tactics and Cook has to take responsibility.
We 8 Mansfield oh we 8 Mansfield!!

#48 User is offline   born in 1866 

• DOH !!!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2023 - 09:22 AM

View Postdim view, on 27 August 2023 - 09:09 AM, said:

Is the new training ground development running behind schedule?

Pretty sure it was said that it would be ready late August/early September. So if everything is on schedule it should be about ready.
"It's that simple" © Paul Cook 2012

#49 User is offline   Middle East 

• Total Legend..
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Its fair to say i have a passing interest in chesterfield fc!

Posted 27 August 2023 - 09:23 AM

View PostCFC91, on 26 August 2023 - 08:30 PM, said:

He’s cutting hair mate he’s about to become a trained barber

Well we certainly need to trim him from our wage bill...
BRITISH BY BIRTH - ENGLISH BY THE GRACE OF GOD

#50 User is offline   gloucestershireblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC

Posted 27 August 2023 - 09:27 AM

Jones and Naylor to start, simple. More support for the defence.

#51 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 27 August 2023 - 09:38 AM

View Postkh83, on 27 August 2023 - 09:17 AM, said:

Spot on!

It’s the tactics from the bench that lost us that game. 1-0 up after 15 minutes and they looked awful, they where there for the taking.
But what do we do? Instead of pushing on, going for the jugular and trying to get a second, we sit back and deliberately slow the game down. We had all the possession and dictated the pace of the game but that pace was slow, boring and ponderous.. those instructions have come from the bench.

At 3-0 up with 15 mins to go it’s fine but 1-0 up with 75 left, this is a huge mistake in tactics and Cook has to take responsibility.

Agree, some on here took exception when I said on here that PC had been outmanaged by the Oldham manager, but it's just happened again at Altrincham. I was hoping he'd instruct his players v Altrincham, to speed up their play, get the ball to Grigg, and keep going right up to the final whistle. He obviously did nothing of the sort, because we did exactly the same again, with an even worse result. As an eternal optimist I'm hoping he sorts it for Hartlepool, who are currently where we should be - at the top of the league. We'll soon see!!

This post has been edited by sophocles: 27 August 2023 - 09:39 AM

#52 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 27 August 2023 - 10:20 AM

Spot on!

The cook groupies will be out careful

#53 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 27 August 2023 - 10:23 AM

View Postsophocles, on 27 August 2023 - 09:38 AM, said:

Agree, some on here took exception when I said on here that PC had been outmanaged by the Oldham manager, but it's just happened again at Altrincham. I was hoping he'd instruct his players v Altrincham, to speed up their play, get the ball to Grigg, and keep going right up to the final whistle. He obviously did nothing of the sort, because we did exactly the same again, with an even worse result. As an eternal optimist I'm hoping he sorts it for Hartlepool, who are currently where we should be - at the top of the league. We'll soon see!!

To sum up then, I think you are saying that we always change tactics after we take the lead, especially if the change can be orchestrated at half time? I'd concur that that happened against Notts. It's a very good question for somebody to ask at the next presser.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#54 User is online   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2023 - 10:58 AM

Spot on!

If that's the case, is Cook becoming the new JD but without the ability to organise a defence?

I've always felt Cook's system relies on attack but feel it's now moved to sideways possession for the sake of possession. In fact, against Oldham I thought we were tactically boring throughout. In simple terms, if you don't provide chances for your striker/s your striker/s don't score.

#55 User is offline   martatcross 

• Legend

Posted 27 August 2023 - 11:17 AM

View Postwarfey is a spireite, on 27 August 2023 - 08:26 AM, said:

Is that the Dallas who didn't want to come here and went to Barnsley higher up the pyramid ?
Can't salute yer can't find a flag if that don't suit yer that's a drag

#56 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 27 August 2023 - 11:19 AM

I'm sayingid have Dallas instead of grigg anyday

#57 User is offline   Snowflake McBedwetter 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2023 - 11:25 AM

We've got a lop sided squad. Too many coaches.Rubbish tactics. A manager who refuses to adapt. Some of us have been pointing this out for quite some time.

Pull your finger out PC. Nowhere near good enough. You're making a right pigs ear of it.

#58 User is online   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 27 August 2023 - 12:01 PM

View PostSnowflake McBedwetter, on 27 August 2023 - 11:25 AM, said:

We've got a lop sided squad. Too many coaches.Rubbish tactics. A manager who refuses to adapt. Some of us have been pointing this out for quite some time.

Pull your finger out PC. Nowhere near good enough. You're making a right pigs ear of it.

100%

Wait till tomorrow. If it goes wrong it’ll be the fans fault again
JRID

#59 User is offline   DerbySpireite59 

• DerbySpireite57
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 August 2023 - 12:04 PM

View Postwarfey is a spireite, on 27 August 2023 - 08:26 AM, said:

That's what L1 15,000 crowds, twice the salary, Barnsley said.
"No one is 100% good, nor 100% evil"

#60 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 27 August 2023 - 12:08 PM

View Postmeowdmucker, on 27 August 2023 - 08:58 AM, said:

Yes, like I said, Ive not seen enough of him. Only three games for me. You're in a better position to judge after watching 7 games and glad you think he's proving a good acquisition. He has to be as will no doubt be on a tidy salary for this level.

Well I don't agree that naylor has been outstanding ,he has not had a single game where a neutral fan would say he is head and shoulders the best midfielder and this is a player dropping 3 leagues,I think he will be decent but at the moment it's a 70 percent naylor for me,as for Jacobs did he have a ore season he has looked very sluggish ,let's give berry a role in the side
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

Share this topic:

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users