• You cannot reply to this topic

Coronavirus Thread Rate Topic: -----

#7921 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 January 2021 - 12:31 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 29 January 2021 - 12:15 PM, said:

Completely disagree that Brexit played no part in us getting a head start mate.
For a start us leaving the EU allowed our own MHRA to approve both the Pfizer and AZ vaccines well before the EMA, who still haven't approved the the AZ jab, therefore taking delivery and injecting people well in advance of them.
Also we are now on the verge of appproving a fourth vaccine and have already agreed to purchase 60million doses, whilst the EU are only eyeing a deal with Novivax. Something we wouldn't have been allowed to do were we still part of the bloc.
Hungary are only breaking ranks now and pulling away from the European agreement because of the complete disaster the EUs sourcing and distribution of vaccines has become.
We refused to join the agreement because we were leaving , thus leaving us to source vaccines on our own whilst the rest of the bloc thought their agreement would bear fruit. The EU even threatened to sue Germany at the end of last year when it threatened to buy vaccines alone because it was frustrated at the EUs lack of progress. I would imagine now the whole EU buying partnership could crumble partly because individual countries are desperate and the EU themselves will realise this is simply too big a strategic, administrative and purchasing issue to do it from Brussels alone.

I can only repeat the facts, my friend.

Our very own head of the MHRA said, quite clearly, Brexit played no part in her decision .

We were still EU members when sourcing, licensing and administering jabs.

We simply don't know if the UK government's decision to snub collective purchases was inspired or political dogma.

Hungary have, apparently, decided to secure their own supplies.

It's beyond hypocrisy to now compare our Covid response to fellow Europeans - or even countries further a-field - after months denying such parallels.

I'll say it again; whether or not it was due to desperation or foresight - though their performance over the rest of the pandemic offers a clue - our government placing most it's eggs in the vaccine basket seems to've paid off. And I don't blame Brexit supporters faced with the Mad Max style desolation of a post membership world trumpeting faiings over the Channel.

However there's a much bigger picture here and I take no pleasure from the suffering of folk bearing a different colour passport...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#7922 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 29 January 2021 - 12:34 PM

View Postazul, on 29 January 2021 - 12:27 PM, said:

The member is Hungary and Mr Orban - nigh on a rogue state and leader - bet the EU regret inviting them to the club

However, it does seem that member countries can escape the EU when it comes to controlling their borders and interpreting EMA advice.

I don't think it does mean they legally can escape the EMA advice, hence the EUs threat to sue Germany when they threatened to buy vaccine themselves late last year. How the EU react to this in times of desperation from member states and the utter fiasco their buying plan has been will see how desperate they are themselves to progress there vaccine strategy. All the member states were quite happy to abide by the rules when they thought "mother" would look after them but now, to avert their own disasters, are looking to break ranks!
East stand second class citizen.

#7923 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2021 - 12:35 PM

View Postspireitetoo, on 29 January 2021 - 11:27 AM, said:

Have you had your 1st jab yet.

Why are you interested?

Anyway it is classified by the UK government so I can't tell you. However, if you care that much, you can read this thread (about 7 days should cover it) and there is a strong hint.
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#7924 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 29 January 2021 - 12:40 PM

christ i can't follow all this i give up

#7925 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 29 January 2021 - 12:47 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 29 January 2021 - 12:31 PM, said:

I can only repeat the facts, my friend.

Our very own head of the MHRA said, quite clearly, Brexit played no part in her decision .

We were still EU members when sourcing, licensing and administering jabs.

We simply don't know if the UK government's decision to snub collective purchases was inspired or political dogma.

Hungary have, apparently, decided to secure their own supplies.

It's beyond hypocrisy to now compare our Covid response to fellow Europeans - or even countries further a-field - after months denying such parallels.

I'll say it again; whether or not it was due to desperation or foresight - though their performance over the rest of the pandemic offers a clue - our government placing most it's eggs in the vaccine basket seems to've paid off. And I don't blame Brexit supporters faced with the Mad Max style desolation of a post membership world trumpeting faiings over the Channel.

However there's a much bigger picture here and I take no pleasure from the suffering of folk bearing a different colour passport...

The head of the MHRA was probably right in that Brexit played no part in the decision, but it's because the MHRA could make the decision themselves and not be bound by the EUs EMA that she could actually make that decision.
Hungary would have had no need or even desire to source their own supplies if the EUs buy up and roll out had been successful, let's not think that Hungary are just casually going about this alone because the EU are good chaps and don't mind individual nations now doing this, they are doing it because they are desperate and that their need is greater than sticking to the EUs disasterous scheme.
We can't change the absolute disaster that the governments handling has been butnhopefully we get this right.
And of course regardless of any posts about how well the UK is doing and how poorly the EU and other countries are doing the only way we will ever get any normality back, you'll get your jaunt to Ibiza back, I'll get my Zante trips back and we all might get back to the pub and football like it used to be is ultimately for the world to get the jab!!

#7926 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2021 - 12:50 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 29 January 2021 - 12:34 PM, said:

I don't think it does mean they legally can escape the EMA advice, hence the EUs threat to sue Germany when they threatened to buy vaccine themselves late last year. How the EU react to this in times of desperation from member states and the utter fiasco their buying plan has been will see how desperate they are themselves to progress there vaccine strategy. All the member states were quite happy to abide by the rules when they thought "mother" would look after them but now, to avert their own disasters, are looking to break ranks!

Don't know anything about that, did a quick search but could only find something about banking from May.

Anyway, it was reported almost three weeks ago that Germany has bought an extra 30M doses from Pfizer, so it clearly doesn't matter what Mother thinks

#7927 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2021 - 12:57 PM

View Postazul, on 29 January 2021 - 12:50 PM, said:

Don't know anything about that, did a quick search but could only find something about banking from May.

Anyway, it was reported almost three weeks ago that Germany has bought an extra 30M doses from Pfizer, so it clearly doesn't matter what Mother thinks

It was reported in a German paper. It was in an article link posted in post #7796
And of course they're all scrambling to buy jabs now but that's nothing to do with the EUs lax attitude to what other countries do rather then utter desperation the bloc finds itself in due to their buying fiasco.

This post has been edited by Mr Mercury: 29 January 2021 - 12:59 PM

#7928 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 29 January 2021 - 01:00 PM

Even the lefts poster boy JOB conceded it was highly improbable that the UK would have gone it alone without Brexit

So let’s celebrate that for every 1m jabs administered, 2000 lives are being saved due to Brexit

Hungary are desperate, the pathetic EU response (that we would have been part of) at the last count they had vaccinated 96000 people

That’s about 2 hours worth in the UK
JRID

#7929 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2021 - 01:11 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 29 January 2021 - 12:57 PM, said:

It was reported in a German paper. It was in an article link posted in post #7796
And of course they're all scrambling to buy jabs now but that's nothing to do with the EUs lax attitude to what other countries do rather then utter desperation the bloc finds itself in due to their buying fiasco.

Germany were just miffed when they found out the vaccine they had developed was the first one to be authorised. Well they should have ordered more when they submitted their request to the EU.

#7930 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2021 - 01:16 PM

Europe is running desperately short of Covid vaccines meaning its roll-out is now falling badly behind the UK - a shambles that one German newspaper this week described as 'the perfect advert for Brexit', causing deep embarrassment among EU ministers.

The vaccine programme also hit another stumbling block on Friday as it emerged the EU has not yet secured a contract for British-made Novavax vaccines, which passed phase III trials yesterday with a 90% success rate.

Ministers only completed 'exploratory' talks to buy Novavax in December last year while the UK put pen to paper on a contract to buy 60million doses back in August, more than five months ago.
JRID

#7931 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2021 - 01:26 PM

View PostSearch and Destroy, on 29 January 2021 - 01:16 PM, said:

Europe is running desperately short of Covid vaccines meaning its roll-out is now falling badly behind the UK - a shambles that one German newspaper this week described as 'the perfect advert for Brexit', causing deep embarrassment among EU ministers.

The vaccine programme also hit another stumbling block on Friday as it emerged the EU has not yet secured a contract for British-made Novavax vaccines, which passed phase III trials yesterday with a 90% success rate.

Ministers only completed 'exploratory' talks to buy Novavax in December last year while the UK put pen to paper on a contract to buy 60million doses back in August, more than five months ago.

Makes you wonder why, if the EU countries are able to go it alone, they haven't already pre ordered Novivax seperately as well?

This post has been edited by Mr Mercury: 29 January 2021 - 01:34 PM

#7932 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2021 - 01:28 PM

View PostGoku, on 29 January 2021 - 12:40 PM, said:

christ i can't follow all this i give up

Well here is something we should all understand. My god look the slope of the UK curve. Extrapolating those we will have caught up with Belgium by the end of February

Attached File(s)

This post has been edited by azul: 29 January 2021 - 01:34 PM

#7933 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2021 - 01:31 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 29 January 2021 - 12:18 PM, said:

The European reporter on SN is now quoting from page 11 of the contract and himself says.."there's plenty of meat on the bones here to support both sides"..

Does whoever wrote the contract work for the National League?
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#7934 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2021 - 01:32 PM

View PostSearch and Destroy, on 29 January 2021 - 01:16 PM, said:

Makes you wonder why, if the EU countries are able to go it alone, they haven't already pre ordered Novivax seperately as well?

This post has been edited by Mr Mercury: 29 January 2021 - 01:34 PM

#7935 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2021 - 01:38 PM

View Postazul, on 29 January 2021 - 12:50 PM, said:

So the individual nations will all be on the phone to Novivax now!!

#7936 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2021 - 01:39 PM

J&J vaccine 66% efficacy - slightly disappointing?

Not as good as Pfizer or Moderna but better that AstaZenica

#7937 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2021 - 01:43 PM

View Postazul, on 29 January 2021 - 01:39 PM, said:

J&J vaccine 66% efficacy - slightly disappointing?

Not as good as Pfizer or Moderna but better that AstaZenica

85% effective at preventing the more serious symptoms. Also it's a single jab as well which is a big boost.

This post has been edited by Mr Mercury: 29 January 2021 - 01:44 PM

#7938 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2021 - 01:56 PM

Yes , they’ll now test it further with a second dose
JRID

#7939 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2021 - 02:12 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 29 January 2021 - 01:43 PM, said:

85% effective at preventing the more serious symptoms. Also it's a single jab as well which is a big boost.

Only 57% effective in SA but that seems to be common thread in most vaccines

UK 30M doses, EU 400M - seems the EU has won another one to add to the Moderna vaccine

Perhaps a bit of cooperation would be wise

#7940 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 29 January 2021 - 02:20 PM

View Postazul, on 29 January 2021 - 02:12 PM, said:

Only 57% effective in SA but that seems to be common thread in most vaccines

UK 30M doses, EU 400M - seems the EU has won another one to add to the Moderna vaccine

Perhaps a bit of cooperation would be wise

Ultimately we need as many folk, be it Spanish, German, American etc, etc, etc , yes even the French! to get jabbed with anything that works to get out of this god forsaken hell hole it's become.

Share this topic:

• (733 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users