• You cannot reply to this topic

The End Of Brexit? Rate Topic: ***** 1 Votes

#1041 User is offline   azul 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 January 2021 - 10:44 AM

View PostTown_Fan, on 01 January 2021 - 02:22 AM, said:

To be fair Johnson sr actively campaigned to remain.

Changed his tune when junior got the top job didn’t he?
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#1042 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 01 January 2021 - 10:47 AM

View Postdtp, on 01 January 2021 - 10:21 AM, said:

Missed out the important bit though "if they intend to cross the channel" - the idea is to get their permit early to prevent queues at Dover. Truckers don't need a permit to enter Kent if they are delivering in Kent and not intending to cross the channel.

Good to know that now we are no longer in the EEC we can remove the Tampon Tax from today do you agree?

Think you missed the important bit, Dave.

We've spent five years being told there'd be no queues at Dover. There'd be no checks. There'd be less rather than more red tape.

Yet here we are with British people needing passes just to drive through their own country ('Kermits' as they've been dubbed, perhaps aptly given the muppets responsible).

And the whole thing's gonna be controlled by tech rolled out by the same government who rolled out a 'world beating' app. What can possibly go wrong.

But hey, let's all talk about tampons instead. There's a punchline there, though common decency prevents me posting it...

This post has been edited by The Earl of Chesterfield: 01 January 2021 - 10:47 AM

Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#1043 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 01 January 2021 - 10:53 AM

View PostSearch and Destroy, on 01 January 2021 - 10:41 AM, said:

Let it go, let it go 🎵

Anyway we’ve left, so what do you want us do going forward?

No point in looking backwards, I’m looking forward to seeing if we can agree trade deals with other parts of the world which the EU have failed to negotiate in decades

Maybe India? They’ve been trying since 2007 and it seems India are not reluctant having an EU deal without Britain and would rather pursue one just with the UK

Looking at how quickly Boris agreed the UK EU deal I’d imagine he could get the Indian one tied up quicker than 13 years (and counting)

How about sorting Brexit out?

Oh yes and the mega trade deal with India

Frankly that sounds like another cock and bull story

File that with US and Japan trade deals

This post has been edited by azul: 01 January 2021 - 11:18 AM

#1044 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 January 2021 - 11:21 AM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 01 January 2021 - 10:47 AM, said:

Think you missed the important bit, Dave.

We've spent five years being told there'd be no queues at Dover. There'd be no checks. There'd be less rather than more red tape.

Yet here we are with British people needing passes just to drive through their own country ('Kermits' as they've been dubbed, perhaps aptly given the muppets responsible).

And the whole thing's gonna be controlled by tech rolled out by the same government who rolled out a 'world beating' app. What can possibly go wrong.

But hey, let's all talk about tampons instead. There's a punchline there, though common decency prevents me posting it...

I know it's only New Year's Day but it has been reported that the first lorries arriving at the borders entered the UK and EU without delay. Obviously, as it gets busier there could be problems but, similarly, as businesses get used to preparing the correct paperwork, sensibly in advance hence the idea regarding Kent, then trucks will more than likely move as quickly as normal.

Obviously, it goes against the grain to accept the matter regarding the Tampon Tax - something which the EU have been somewhat struggling with for far to many years in their usual way of taking as long as possible over decision making. Anyway, I for one am pleased we have got rid of it on the first day possible and I really don't think trying to mock women's problems is at all appropriate.

#1045 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 01 January 2021 - 11:46 AM

Happy Brexit day everyone

Attached File(s)

#1046 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 01 January 2021 - 12:11 PM

View Postdtp, on 01 January 2021 - 11:21 AM, said:

I know it's only New Year's Day but it has been reported that the first lorries arriving at the borders entered the UK and EU without delay. Obviously, as it gets busier there could be problems but, similarly, as businesses get used to preparing the correct paperwork, sensibly in advance hence the idea regarding Kent, then trucks will more than likely move as quickly as normal.

Obviously, it goes against the grain to accept the matter regarding the Tampon Tax - something which the EU have been somewhat struggling with for far to many years in their usual way of taking as long as possible over decision making. Anyway, I for one am pleased we have got rid of it on the first day possible and I really don't think trying to mock women's problems is at all appropriate.

Re the Tampon Tax.....how did the Republic of Ireland get it removed well before we did and they're still in the EU?
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#1047 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 January 2021 - 01:26 PM

View PostJohnnyspireite7, on 01 January 2021 - 12:11 PM, said:

Re the Tampon Tax.....how did the Republic of Ireland get it removed well before we did and they're still in the EU?

Must admit, that's summat I'd like to know as, perhaps, the other EU countries would probably like to know too if they are interested enough in determining these things are not luxuries.

#1048 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 01 January 2021 - 03:10 PM

View PostJohnnyspireite7, on 01 January 2021 - 12:11 PM, said:

Also remembering our Scottish friends voted to make them free whilst we were still in the trasitionary period (no pun int).

Maybe our friend 'dtp' should start a Rashford style campaign to get his mate Bozo to do the same if it's an issue he holds dear.

Or find a way to blame Labour...

This post has been edited by The Earl of Chesterfield: 01 January 2021 - 03:11 PM

#1049 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 January 2021 - 05:22 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 01 January 2021 - 03:10 PM, said:

Also remembering our Scottish friends voted to make them free whilst we were still in the trasitionary period (no pun int).

Maybe our friend 'dtp' should start a Rashford style campaign to get his mate Bozo to do the same if it's an issue he holds dear.

Or find a way to blame Labour...

Chris, if you don't mind me saying so, your original response to my first post on this subject came over as a little bit sexist imho. I'm sure you not though.

Then, again, I'm sure you are not an IRA sympathiser or even anti-Semitic but it didn't stop you wanting the leader of your chosen life-long Party no matter what in government.

I don't need to find a way to blame Labour as they could do nowt about the EU's stance on the subject matter either. Quite clearly, the issue was and remains with the EU thinking they are a luxury item and it's drawn out ways of operating. It's a wonder they are not still discussing the correct shape of a banana which probably took preference in their minds.

Anyway, we are out now but, no doubt, there will be some further bleatings about so called extra paperwork to be completed by certain businesses whilst ignoring the new and extra paperwork which had to be taken on board in the name of VAT by virtually every business when we joined. There were pains going in and there will be pains coming out but they will be overcome just like they were overcome.

Probably, you are too young to have voted in the referendum to join what was the much smaller organisation. I voted not to. I accepted the outcome and got on with it. However, nobody voted in that referendum for what it is today. We are out now so as before let's get on with it.

Meanwhile, I am hoping SKS will soon be showing me he is deserving of my vote at the next election so I await to see what he actually stands for when he eventually comes up with his policies. It seems he agrees with Boris regarding saying "No" to Scotland having independence though which is a good start. Must admit I struggle with Why the scots can want independence from the mouth that feeds them whilst wanting to give up their independence to the EEC to whom the UK have been the second biggest contributors over the years.

That's it, my friend, here's to success for what the majority voted for, a much better 2021, getting topside of this dreadful virus despite all the difficulties which have yet to be overcome, and promotion via the play-offs for my beloved Spireites in front of large crowds. Can only hope!!!!

#1050 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 01 January 2021 - 11:11 PM

View Postdtp, on 01 January 2021 - 05:22 PM, said:

Chris, if you don't mind me saying so, your original response to my first post on this subject came over as a little bit sexist imho. I'm sure you not though.

Then, again, I'm sure you are not an IRA sympathiser or even anti-Semitic but it didn't stop you wanting the leader of your chosen life-long Party no matter what in government.

I don't need to find a way to blame Labour as they could do nowt about the EU's stance on the subject matter either. Quite clearly, the issue was and remains with the EU thinking they are a luxury item and it's drawn out ways of operating. It's a wonder they are not still discussing the correct shape of a banana which probably took preference in their minds.

Anyway, we are out now but, no doubt, there will be some further bleatings about so called extra paperwork to be completed by certain businesses whilst ignoring the new and extra paperwork which had to be taken on board in the name of VAT by virtually every business when we joined. There were pains going in and there will be pains coming out but they will be overcome just like they were overcome.

Probably, you are too young to have voted in the referendum to join what was the much smaller organisation. I voted not to. I accepted the outcome and got on with it. However, nobody voted in that referendum for what it is today. We are out now so as before let's get on with it.

Meanwhile, I am hoping SKS will soon be showing me he is deserving of my vote at the next election so I await to see what he actually stands for when he eventually comes up with his policies. It seems he agrees with Boris regarding saying "No" to Scotland having independence though which is a good start. Must admit I struggle with Why the scots can want independence from the mouth that feeds them whilst wanting to give up their independence to the EEC to whom the UK have been the second biggest contributors over the years.

That's it, my friend, here's to success for what the majority voted for, a much better 2021, getting topside of this dreadful virus despite all the difficulties which have yet to be overcome, and promotion via the play-offs for my beloved Spireites in front of large crowds. Can only hope!!!!

Errr, y'do know the straight banana thing was a myth peddled by the British media, don't you Dave?

Or is that just another of those awkward little facts you'll simply ignore.

And for a bloke whose world seems to re-set every midnight in terms of those he defends ('Ah well, never mind, they might've trashed our football club/country whilst lying through their teeth but that was yesterday so let's move on') I see you're once again regurgitating Corbyn stuff. Which I addressed as early as the first few pages of this thread. Please, be my guest, check it out.

Oh, and much of what you dismiss as 'bleating' about 'so called paperwork' is coming from business people whose costs spiralled overnight. Which they admit will be passed onto punters. Be kinda ironic if that included tampons too, wun't it.

Either way congratulations on another of your totally balanced posts criticising government corruption as equally as you do the opposition...

This post has been edited by The Earl of Chesterfield: 01 January 2021 - 11:12 PM

#1051 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 02 January 2021 - 08:35 AM

In truth, the European Union does have a banana law. Regulation 2257/94 decrees that bananas should meet minimum quality standards such as being 'free from malformation or abnormal curvature of the fingers'.

The law does not outright ban bendy bananas. Rather, it restricts their sale to certain trade categories.

According to the law, bananas of the "extra" category must have no defects, but Class 1 bananas may have "slight defects of shape" and Class 2 bananas may have additional "defects of shape".

This includes, presumably, defects such as "abnormal curvature".
JRID

#1052 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 02 January 2021 - 08:57 AM

View PostSearch and Destroy, on 02 January 2021 - 08:35 AM, said:

In truth, the European Union does have a banana law. Regulation 2257/94 decrees that bananas should meet minimum quality standards such as being 'free from malformation or abnormal curvature of the fingers'.

The law does not outright ban bendy bananas. Rather, it restricts their sale to certain trade categories.

According to the law, bananas of the "extra" category must have no defects, but Class 1 bananas may have "slight defects of shape" and Class 2 bananas may have additional "defects of shape".

This includes, presumably, defects such as "abnormal curvature".

You've missed the crucial bit, this law only applies to Green un-ripened Bananas and only applies to growers and wholesalers not retailers.

The regulation applies to unripened green bananas, and thus to growers and wholesalers rather than retailers.[3] The main provisions of the regulation were that bananas sold as unripened, green bananas should be green and unripened, firm and intact, fit for human consumption, not "affected by rotting", clean, free of pests and damage from pests, free from deformation or abnormal curvature, free from bruising, free of any foreign smell or taste.[1] The minimum size (with tolerances and exceptions) is a length of 14 cm and a thickness (grade) of 2.7 cm. It specifies minimum standards for specific quality classifications of bananas (Extra, Class I, Class II).[1] Only Extra class bananas have to comply fully with the shape specifications. Class II bananas, for instance are permitted to have "defects of shape"; Class I bananas are permitted only "slight defects of shape".[1][4] This is not true, however, of the size specifications; sale of bananas below the minimum size is almost always prohibited (with exceptions only for bananas from a few regions where bananas are traditionally smaller).[1]

"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#1053 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 02 January 2021 - 09:03 AM

Doesn’t seem that crucial.

#1054 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 02 January 2021 - 09:09 AM

View PostJohnnyspireite7, on 02 January 2021 - 08:57 AM, said:

You've missed the crucial bit, this law only applies to Green un-ripened Bananas and only applies to growers and wholesalers not retailers.

How dare you talk down to people like this!

Scammers go to the time and trouble of making up perfectly plausible smear stories yet along you come with the truth.

Damn you you smug member of the metropolitan elite with all your facts and figures you...

#1055 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 02 January 2021 - 09:26 AM

We didn’t need to be out of the EU to remove the tampon tax from what I’ve read

#1056 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend

Posted 02 January 2021 - 09:28 AM

View PostJohnnyspireite7, on 02 January 2021 - 08:57 AM, said:

Well it obviously wouldn’t apply to retailers would it?

Would br quite silly to apply it to retailers and not to growers and wholesalers 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, we’ve dispelled the rumour that shape of bananas wasn’t the subject of EU legislation
JRID

#1057 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 02 January 2021 - 09:32 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 02 January 2021 - 09:03 AM, said:

Doesn’t seem that crucial.

That's kinda the point.

The bendy banana thing is just one of numerous little laws guaranteeing minimum standards for consumers.

Me, thee and everyone else.

But those advocating a 'bonfire of regulations' - read: import get rich quick style cheap and nasty stuff and to hell with our health - turn it into summat they get their knickers into all sorts of twists over.

Which is kinda ironic if y'think about it.

Meanwhile we also discover the Irish and Scots have bypassed VAT on tampons. Which again is a strange hill to fight on for folk you wun't usually associate with feminism.

Yet it's me that gets accused of being sexist by folk who voted for Boris 'don't ask how many kids I've got' Johnson...

#1058 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend

Posted 02 January 2021 - 09:43 AM

https://www.gov.uk/g...shed-from-today
JRID

#1059 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 January 2021 - 09:45 AM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 01 January 2021 - 11:11 PM, said:

I see you're once again regurgitating Corbyn stuff. Which I addressed as early as the first few pages of this thread. Please, be my guest, check it out.

Just to satisfy you, Chris, I've just skip read through the first 5 pages. I think in 2 posts out of around 15 you have "addressed" issues regarding Corbyn in a rather polite way. I wouldn't exactly say you have come out in your usual flowery hyper-critical direct way of denouncing him with statements listing his your considered faults.

Anyway, after those few pages, I got bored so I assume you got into your usual rythm regarding him later!!!!!

He's history now. We can look to a better future with SKS.

#1060 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 02 January 2021 - 10:02 AM

View Postdtp, on 02 January 2021 - 09:45 AM, said:

Just to satisfy you, Chris, I've just skip read through the first 5 pages. I think in 2 posts out of around 15 you have "addressed" issues regarding Corbyn in a rather polite way. I wouldn't exactly say you have come out in your usual flowery hyper-critical direct way of denouncing him with statements listing his your considered faults.

Anyway, after those few pages, I got bored so I assume you got into your usual rythm regarding him later!!!!!

He's history now. We can look to a better future with SKS.

Does that mean you will stop mentioning him then?

Share this topic:

• (224 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users