• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

General Health & Fitness Thread Rate Topic: -----

#261 User is offline   valemadness 

• Chief Stalker
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:SPIREITES ;oD

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:03 PM

16kg/2 stone 8lb down after 12 weeks, looking at photos of me earlier this ear to now you can really see the difference. 23kg still to go, but target is still for July next year. Really not missing carbs at all and although I'm having butter, cheese, cream, red meat etc, because I'm eating more fat, it keeps you satisfied longer, so I'm actually eating less than I used to ad only eat a meal 1-2 times a day, but without being hungry. Could never do that on ww or sw

#262 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 September 2015 - 07:28 PM

View Postcalvin plummers socks, on 06 July 2015 - 07:13 PM, said:

Agree- so much rubbish in the industry.
Things like Crossfit and military fitness are huge now but terrible in practice. They are the current fads.
I wiuidnt trust the average gym fitness trainer as far as I could throw them

There are obviously quick ways, safe ways and better ways to lose weight, some will fit some individuals some won't, but in the majority of cases people are fat for a reason, that being they eat too much. If you put less in your mouth and exercise more you will lose weight.

#263 User is offline   valemadness 

• Chief Stalker

Posted 08 September 2015 - 09:39 PM

Just watched That Sugar Film. Shows the huge benefits of high (healthy) fat, low carb, low sugar diet and how horrendously bad some low fat and supposed healthy foods/drinks are for you. Also shows that counting calories doesn't work, as it depends on where the calories are from.

#264 User is online   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 08 September 2015 - 09:49 PM

The fats you're ingesting aren't healthy though. Not criticising you of course you're doing a good job but such high saturated fats and red meat can never be considered 'healthy'.

Counting calories does work when combined with macronutrient tracking

#265 User is offline   valemadness 

• Chief Stalker

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:10 PM

View PostGoku, on 08 September 2015 - 09:49 PM, said:

The fats you're ingesting aren't healthy though. Not criticising you of course you're doing a good job but such high saturated fats and red meat can never be considered 'healthy'.

Counting calories does work when combined with macronutrient tracking

They are healthy, they are natural fats, I'm not eating processed fats. Saturated fat is not the problem, processed transfat margarine and oils are far more damaging than animal fats are. If the amount if saturated fat I was eating was bad, my blood pressure and cholesterol would be sky high, they are both on the lower end of the normal scale, which is better than last year when they were on the top end of the normal scale.
As for calories you can eat 2300 calories of avocado, bacon, eggs, cheese, nuts, fruit and veg and be full in 1 or 2 meals, you may only have 2000 calories having fruit juice, smoothies, protein bars, low fat yoghurt, and other 'healthy' food, would require 3 or 4 meals, and because of the sugar in the foods (low fat means high sugar) means you need more food and more frequently because your insulin spikes to eliminate the sugar, which puts you on a downer, which makes you crave/need a sugar hit. Yet although you've had less calories, because of the hidden sugar in those foods which can be 40 tsps or more, you actually put on weight.
http://www.telegraph...s-for-good.html

#266 User is online   Goku 

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:18 AM

It doesn't necessarily have to increase your blood pressure or cholesterol to be unhealthy. There are numerous studies linking the consumption of high fat dairy food and animal fats from red meat with increased cancer risk (particularly breast cancer), I'll try and dig one out when I'm on my computer later as opposed to my phone. Not knocking it, I eat fatty red meat from time to time as well as plenty of eggs, full fat milk, cottage cheese etc because cutting that out isnt a commitment I'm willing to make but I know enough to realise that a Vegan diet supplemented with B12 is the healthiest way to go about life if I wanted to live the most risk-free life I could.

As for calories you're pretty much agreeing with me. The foods you've listed as 'healthy' are considered healthy by people who don't know the first thing about nutrition. Your words were 'counting calories doesn't work' which is incorrect when you track macros (protein, fat, carbs and more if you like) too. People lose weight via calorie counting and people also gain lean muscle and then cut fat using calorie counting so it evidently does work (and it's the system I used to cut fat for my holiday earlier this year). You don't need to teach me about insulin spikes and how fatty food is more satiating than sugary carbs I assure you, youre teaching granny how to suck eggs in that regard.. You're doing exactly what I did when I first did low carb dieting years ago - you come across this seemingly magic weight loss formula that burns fat without barely needing to exercise and you think it's the only way to lose weight and everything else pales in comparison when in reality it's an effective short term crash diet that can't really be sustained or relied upon as a way of living... for most people, at least.

#267 User is offline   Misnomer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2016 - 06:32 PM

Thought I'd give this a bump.
How are you getting on with your fat loss, Vale?

#268 User is offline   The Black Triangle 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:10 PM

Ive been on a fairly meet free diet, bar prawns, muscles etc and also dropped the carbs as far as possible while increasing the green vegetables to make up the bulk of my meals. I have also been walking 6 miles a day (work permitting)
Still had eggs, milk and cheese when appropriate for the meal.
Don't feel any different, in terms of health benefits, ie, cardio etc, and miss the flavour of the meat. However, these simple changes have meant I have lost 13lb in 22 days. Impressive stuff. I guess the extra exercise and dropping "lard" have made a massive difference.

I guess the moral of my story is healthy eating and exercise, without going to the extremes of veganism has benefits.

#269 User is offline   Misnomer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:22 PM

View PostThe Gimp, on 28 August 2016 - 07:10 PM, said:

Ive been on a fairly meet free diet, bar prawns, muscles etc and also dropped the carbs as far as possible while increasing the green vegetables to make up the bulk of my meals. I have also been walking 6 miles a day (work permitting)
Don't feel any different, in terms of health benefits, ie, cardio etc, and miss the flavour of the meat. However, these simple changes have meant I have lost 13lb in 22 days. Impressive stuff. I guess the extra exercise and dropping "lard" have made a massive difference.

I guess the moral of my story is healthy eating and exercise, without going to the extremes of veganism has benefits.

Firstly, well done with your efforts, my friend.

Secondly, don't be overly disappointed, but losing 13lbs in roughly 3 weeks, is primarily going to be water weight. You have dropped calories and carbs, carbs hold onto water (a lot of water). Essentially, I'd say you have probably lost about 4lbs of fat, a bit of muscle loss, the rest will be water.

Keep up your regime and you will probably lose about 1lb a week from fat. I don't know your exact calorie intake but dropping carbs is one way of ensuring you stay in a negative energy balance required for fat loss. Aim for roughly 50g fat per day. 👍

This post has been edited by Misnomer: 28 August 2016 - 07:22 PM

#270 User is offline   The Black Triangle 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2016 - 07:40 PM

View PostMisnomer, on 28 August 2016 - 07:22 PM, said:

Firstly, well done with your efforts, my friend.

Secondly, don't be overly disappointed, but losing 13lbs in roughly 3 weeks, is primarily going to be water weight. You have dropped calories and carbs, carbs hold onto water (a lot of water). Essentially, I'd say you have probably lost about 4lbs of fat, a bit of muscle loss, the rest will be water.

Keep up your regime and you will probably lose about 1lb a week from fat. I don't know your exact calorie intake but dropping carbs is one way of ensuring you stay in a negative energy balance required for fat loss. Aim for roughly 50g fat per day. 👍

TBH I have not really looked at the amounts of fat, water etc from fat. So I couldn't possibly comment. I can say my jeans fit better. I have been drinking more water though, rather than coffee/tea. Any tips you have would be appreciated.

I want to drop another stone or so, to be happy.

This post has been edited by The Gimp: 28 August 2016 - 07:43 PM

#271 User is offline   Misnomer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:17 PM

View PostThe Gimp, on 28 August 2016 - 07:40 PM, said:

TBH I have not really looked at the amounts of fat, water etc from fat. So I couldn't possibly comment. I can say my jeans fit better. I have been drinking more water though, rather than coffee/tea. Any tips you have would be appreciated.

I want to drop another stone or so, to be happy.

PM if you like and I'll sort you out a bit of a plan, nothing too rigid or too complex.

#272 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:35 PM

View PostMisnomer, on 28 August 2016 - 08:17 PM, said:

PM if you like and I'll sort you out a bit of a plan, nothing too rigid or too complex.

Do,you do a plan that involves steak, lamb, gammon..and red and white wine. Although I do,love feta cheese salad with all,of the above.
East stand second class citizen.

#273 User is online   Goku 

Posted 28 August 2016 - 08:46 PM

I know I'm being pedantic here and I apologise but I really don't like it when people say veganism is extreme (although I realise why you and others say it), it's the least extreme thing you can do diet-wise.

Congrats on the weight loss though buddy.

This post has been edited by Goku: 28 August 2016 - 08:47 PM

#274 User is offline   calvin plummers socks 

• Legend

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:15 PM

Start to mix up the exercise a bit

#275 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 28 August 2016 - 09:35 PM

I'm aiming to lose a couple of stone. I say that with a can of Carling Cider in my hand but I do have good intentions.

#276 User is offline   Heavy_Soul 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:11 PM

View PostMisnomer, on 28 August 2016 - 08:17 PM, said:

A question mate - thegimp mentions above he's cut out tea/coffee. I drink only green tea obviously no milk but have anywhere between 3 and 8 cups a day. What's green tea like as calorie intake?
Every need got an ego to feed

#277 User is online   Goku 

Posted 29 August 2016 - 07:34 PM

View PostHeavy_Soul, on 29 August 2016 - 07:11 PM, said:

A question mate - thegimp mentions above he's cut out tea/coffee. I drink only green tea obviously no milk but have anywhere between 3 and 8 cups a day. What's green tea like as calorie intake?

Literally none. Well, it's like 1 or 2 calories. Go wild

#278 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:49 PM

I dropped from Stella to Coors Light on Friday night down the boozer and today was 100 calories below my 1500 target.

Going out for a curry tomorrow night so it's gonna get smashed I'm afraid.

#279 User is offline   Misnomer 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:53 PM

View PostHeavy_Soul, on 29 August 2016 - 07:11 PM, said:

As Josh as already said, virtually nothing, don't even bother to count it 😃

That is a lot of caffeine, mind. Any gut issues?

#280 User is offline   valemadness 

• Chief Stalker

Posted 30 August 2016 - 04:46 PM

View PostMisnomer, on 28 August 2016 - 06:32 PM, said:

Thought I'd give this a bump.
How are you getting on with your fat loss, Vale?

I'm down to 3 stone since June last year, haven't lost anything for the last 3 months but that is because I've had to stop exercise at the moment as I've got 2 discs gone in my neck so have constant pain and pins and needles in my arm. Got to have an operation to fuse the 2 vertebrae soon. But the good thing is that I've not put anything back on, even without exercising. Gone from a size 22/24 to a 16 bottom and 16/18 top.

Share this topic:

• (15 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users