• You cannot reply to this topic

If It Happened

#1 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:15 AM

What would non-league football mean in reality?

It seems to me that it is dawning on people that this is a serious and realistic possibility now.

Crowds of under three-thousand, a team of even worse no-hopes than we have now and a lost generation of potential fans who see their local team as little more than a piece of fun.

It's a horrific possibility and one that would be deserved in many ways given the environment that's been created to allow this situation to fester.

The immediate future of CFC is in Jack Lester's hands and I wish him all the luck in the world as he might need it.

#2 User is offline   The Peoples Champion 

• Broadswordcallingdannyboy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:30 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 01 October 2017 - 11:15 AM, said:

It seems to me that it is dawning on people that this is a serious and realistic possibility now.

Crowds of under three-thousand, a team of even worse no-hopes than we have now and a lost generation of potential fans who see their local team as little more than a piece of fun.

It's a horrific possibility and one that would be deserved in many ways given the environment that's been created to allow this situation to fester.

The immediate future of CFC is in Jack Lester's hands and I wish him all the luck in the world as he might need it.

You get what you deserve my friend.

Jack and his coaching team are the last throw of the dice.

One thing though.........

For the first time since PC/LR days I get the feeling they are going to be coached better. Its not everything I know but its a start

#3 User is offline   spireitetoo 

• Legend

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:36 AM

View PostThe Peoples Champion, on 01 October 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

You get what you deserve my friend.

Jack and his coaching team are the last throw of the dice.

One thing though.........

For the first time since PC/LR days I get the feeling they are going to be coached better. Its not everything I know but its a start

Agreed, jack has this club at heart, he will feel every loss as much as we do, and I'm sure he will make the players aware of it, anyone that he feels is not pulling in the right direction will be outted no doubt
all we are saying, is give us ...a goal, or 2+

#4 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:42 AM

Non league football = no club

#5 User is offline   Spire-Heights 

• Legend

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:45 AM

It would definitely be under three thousand - More like half that amount.
Show class, have pride, and display character.If you do, winning takes care of itself.

#6 User is offline   Spireiteboy155 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:57 AM

View PostSpire-Heights, on 01 October 2017 - 11:45 AM, said:

So you can’t see games against Maidenhead, Boreham Wood, Guisely and Solihull drawing big crowds?

If it’s non league, I’d rather watch Staveley MW!

#7 User is offline   Tylerdurdencfc 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:59 AM

View PostErnie Ernie Ernie, on 01 October 2017 - 11:42 AM, said:

Non league football = no club

Fully agree, I think if we were relegated the club would go out of business within two years. Pains me to say but if we go down then I see no way back due to the unsustainable debts that the club have mounted. The first season down there I'd imagine we would struggle to adapt but survive, the following season get relegated and out of business. See Stockport, Darlington, Chester, Halifax etc and currently Torquay are on that path followed by Hartlepool and tranmere next year.

#8 User is offline   Spire-Heights 

• Legend

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:59 AM

View PostSpireiteboy155, on 01 October 2017 - 11:57 AM, said:

So you can’t see games against Maidenhead, Boreham Wood, Guisely and Solihull drawing big crowds?

If it’s non league, I’d rather watch Staveley MW!

No - IF we went down, we would struggle to get 1,500.

This post has been edited by Spire-Heights: 01 October 2017 - 12:00 PM

Show class, have pride, and display character.If you do, winning takes care of itself.

#9 User is offline   gloucestershireblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:02 PM

I'd still go.

#10 User is offline   Spireiteboy155 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:02 PM

Do an extent I agree.
They’ll always be a die hard couple of thousand though.

They could be done interesting away crowds though.

If we ever start winning again, crowds will soon come back.

#11 User is offline   s42blue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tarn, cycling.

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:04 PM

Isn't it a sad indictment.. if happily take 90th position in EFL now and not go again all season. Dreadful.

Football is about fun, support, and caring. The team yesterday ex a few provided neither. It's not fun any more. 21 years a season ticket but if players don't care why should I?

And to see L2 players faking injury makes me care less and less. My interest in football is dying.

This post has been edited by s42blue: 01 October 2017 - 12:07 PM

"Can't change or choose your football club. Sorry son"

#12 User is offline   Tylerdurdencfc 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:04 PM

View PostSpireiteboy155, on 01 October 2017 - 12:02 PM, said:

Do an extent I agree.
They’ll always be a die hard couple of thousand though.

They could be done interesting away crowds though.

If we ever start winning again, crowds will soon come back.

I think you're being a bit optimistic there, the damage of the past two years has been done, it will take a lot more than winning a few games to get thousands of people back I'm afraid.

The only way the crowds will come back is a new board and owner and winning some games.

#13 User is offline   CFC91 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:13 PM

I’d still be there. As I hope would many others but it would be depressing, we probably could afford to shut the north and east stands for most games unfortunately.

I don’t know if we’d survive but DA will reap what he sows unfortunately and the ones who don’t deserve it will suffer the most. Jack has a job on his hands we all know that. It will take time but I do think he can keep us up, but we need to start picking up points at home

#14 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:25 PM

In football terms we are in a worse position now than when Allen became involved. He needs to think about that.

#15 User is offline   Rodg 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:28 PM

AC quoted on this board, that since we moved to the Proact, DA has put £850,000 per year to stop us being insolvent!

I think when we reached the playoffs , he realised that even with a successful side , we only averaged around 7500 home gates.
the Championship would mean even larger losses.

Chesterfield is not a football town, our local rivals Doncaster, Barnsley have always had bigger gates if successful.

The idea that if we are relegated, he could have half the playing budget or less. The quality of the squad currently is not value for money on the wage bill we have.

The banqueting is profitable, the majority of the turnover is from non football days, weddings, funerals, birthdays, evening events, it is the best value venue in Chesterfield,
so 23 reduced match day bar takings, but with less police, gate men, etc, makes a possible financial case.

So it could be that to a businessman, he could even turn a loss making league club, into a profitable non league club, one with superb facilities, the dream realised.

He might then find a mug, to buy into the dream that DA bought into, he built the ground, he thought the crowds would come, he never dreamed he would be building a money pit, that he has to fill.

Now he thinks this is worth only £10/15 million for the real estate, he could promote the dream to a buyer, with a bit of investment in the team, we could be back in the league,
and then the Championship before you know it.
He must have a plan, perhaps this is it.

#16 User is offline   kopblue 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:29 PM

View PostTylerdurdencfc, on 01 October 2017 - 12:04 PM, said:

I think you're being a bit optimistic there, the damage of the past two years has been done, it will take a lot more than winning a few games to get thousands of people back I'm afraid.

The only way the crowds will come back is a new board and owner and winning some games.
winning games gets fans back , a new board will have very minimal effect

#17 User is offline   Spire-Heights 

• Legend

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:32 PM

View Postkopblue, on 01 October 2017 - 12:29 PM, said:

Funny that, because some say they aren’t attending because of who’s ultimately in control of the club? Not saying I disagree with you by the way - If we were top of the league, come March, the crowd would be doubled almost.

#18 User is offline   gordon_brittas 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:39 PM

If Darth lets us drop down he's looking at near a £10 million loss as the club is worthless in value.

The only asset is the stadium, and without a tenant your looking at a Darlington FC Reynolds Arena scenario.
Management Accepts New Ideas And Criticism...When Im Managaging think MANIAC!!

#19 User is offline   ELTON 2020 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:42 PM

View PostSpire-Heights, on 01 October 2017 - 11:45 AM, said:

I cantsee it being 1500. We all know the problems at the club but it will settle to about 3000. More for bigger games if we are doing well.

#20 User is offline   Tylerdurdencfc 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 October 2017 - 12:44 PM

View Postkopblue, on 01 October 2017 - 12:29 PM, said:

Well I've certainly not been since I found out what was going off twenty months ago now. I still wouldn't go even if we won ten games in a row. I think you're wrong about the number of people who don't go due to the board and not the football.

It was a legends first game as manager and the club could muster 5305 fans that's including no show season tickets, how many of those were they yesterday by the way?

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users