Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Best Of Luck In The Play-Offs From A Bristol City Fan - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Best Of Luck In The Play-Offs From A Bristol City Fan

#1 User is offline   oldstandrobin 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:14 PM

Really great to see Town in the play offs. As a Bristol City supporter living in Somerset, I spent my teenage years from 15-19 living at Old Tupton and remember watching Town a few times although my old man whisked me off to Hillsborough as his view was' we have moved this far so might as well go and support a First Division Team. Remember going up to watch Town play at Doncaster when Donnie played at Belle Vue and stupidly I went in my firms van with signwriting on the side with the firms name. Later that week I was told I had been seen in Donnie and got the sack !! It has been a roller coaster for us this last year and proof if you get the right manager and players, anything can happen but believe me 18 months ago it looked really grim. I think Paul Cook can really do it for you. If anyone on this forum knows any town supporter/mum/dad who were around Tupton Hall Grammar in the mid 60's would love to hear from them, they will remember me, I had the Bristol Accent !! Anyway go for it, would love the Spireites ( have to get used to that name as always called them Town )to join us in the Championship but dont worry if you dont, next year could see you do it. All the best.

#2 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 05 May 2015 - 04:41 PM

Cheers fella. 'Town' is still perfectly OK.

#3 User is offline   The Rev. 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Writer; Football: Boxing: Supporting the Spireites.

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:05 PM

View Postoldstandrobin, on 05 May 2015 - 04:14 PM, said:

Really great to see Town in the play offs. As a Bristol City supporter living in Somerset, I spent my teenage years from 15-19 living at Old Tupton and remember watching Town a few times although my old man whisked me off to Hillsborough as his view was' we have moved this far so might as well go and support a First Division Team. Remember going up to watch Town play at Doncaster when Donnie played at Belle Vue and stupidly I went in my firms van with signwriting on the side with the firms name. Later that week I was told I had been seen in Donnie and got the sack !! It has been a roller coaster for us this last year and proof if you get the right manager and players, anything can happen but believe me 18 months ago it looked really grim. I think Paul Cook can really do it for you. If anyone on this forum knows any town supporter/mum/dad who were around Tupton Hall Grammar in the mid 60's would love to hear from them, they will remember me, I had the Bristol Accent !! Anyway go for it, would love the Spireites ( have to get used to that name as always called them Town )to join us in the Championship but dont worry if you dont, next year could see you do it. All the best.

Nice one, `oldstand', and congratulations on a fine season & winning the title, but in your `roller-coaster' description you forgot to mention your financial backing.
We have (at the moment) the `right manager & players' but (again, `at the moment') lack the financial backing that you've had in order to progress much further, although we are all still dreaming about joining you in the Championship next season! I too was once a Robins supporter living in Somerset! -(Clutton, near Temple Cloud)and started my footballing life as a junior at Ashton Gate under John Atyeo in 1961 (not retained!).Good luck next season, I'm sure you'll do well - and watch out for us joining you, either this season or next - given the financial backing, of course! ;)

#4 User is offline   bullseyerob 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:10 PM

If theres one player I have admired and would love to see him play for us is Jay Emmanuel Thomas and you lot have surprisingly released him.

#5 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:13 PM

View Postbullseyerob, on 05 May 2015 - 05:10 PM, said:

If theres one player I have admired and would love to see him play for us is Jay Emmanuel Thomas and you lot have surprisingly released him.

Was he the massive number 10?
JRID

#6 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:13 PM

JET?

I thought he was a fans favourite down there
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#7 User is offline   oldstandrobin 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:19 PM

View PostSaltergateBlue01222, on 05 May 2015 - 05:05 PM, said:

Nice one, `oldstand', and congratulations on a fine season & winning the title, but in your `roller-coaster' description you forgot to mention your financial backing.
We have (at the moment) the `right manager & players' but (again, `at the moment') lack the financial backing that you've had in order to progress much further, although we are all still dreaming about joining you in the Championship next season! I too was once a Robins supporter living in Somerset! -(Clutton, near Temple Cloud)and started my footballing life as a junior at Ashton Gate under John Atyeo in 1961 (not retained!).Good luck next season, I'm sure you'll do well - and watch out for us joining you, either this season or next - given the financial backing, of course! ;)

I know the 'financial backing' thing comes up a lot this season but dont forget, Stephen Lansdown has been with us for years including when we were last in the Championship and 90 mins from the Premiership in the play offs. We then had the few years under McInnes and then SOD where we thought we were in danger of going into League 2 ! Throwing money didnt work and our most expensive signing Kieran Agard hasnt exactly been banging them in and cost 750k. Know Clutton very well as I lived in Paulton, I had a trial with City when I was 12 but didnt sign any forms !! Still one thing, my season ticket as a Senior next year has cost me only £325 so am wary of going into the highest league as could price me out. Towns result is always one I look for on a Saturday so come on , come up with us , you will be made very welcome as our supporters on our forum overwhelmingly voted for PNE and your good selves to come up with us

#8 User is offline   bullseyerob 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:20 PM

View PostSearch and Destroy, on 05 May 2015 - 05:13 PM, said:

Was he the massive number 10?

Yes he knows how to bulldozer defences 24 years old surprised he only scored 24 goals in 48games but they got goal scorers in all departments.Not been offered a new contract.

#9 User is offline   Search & Destroy 

• Legend
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:24 PM

He was nigh on unplayable
JRID

#10 User is offline   oldstandrobin 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:26 PM

a hell of a lot of us cant get our head round this either :wacko: :wacko:

#11 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:54 PM

View Postoldstandrobin, on 05 May 2015 - 05:19 PM, said:

Still one thing, my season ticket as a Senior next year ....

Well, I went to THGS between 1962 and 1969 and I'm a senior next March, but I can't remember anyone called Old Stan Robin. You didn't dress up as a girl did you?.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#12 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 05 May 2015 - 05:58 PM

View Postoldstandrobin, on 05 May 2015 - 05:26 PM, said:

a hell of a lot of us cant get our head round this either :wacko: :wacko:

Obviously nor good enough for Championship.
God I hate this league.

#13 User is offline   oldstandrobin 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:00 PM

View Postdim view, on 05 May 2015 - 05:54 PM, said:

Well, I went to THGS between 1962 and 1969 and I'm a senior next March, but I can't remember anyone called Old Stan Robin. You didn't dress up as a girl did you?.

Oldstandrobin is my BCFC Forum name ! Was Fred Rice the headmaster when you were there and Mr Bond the deputy ? I did my O'levels at THGS in 1967 and amazingly passed the lot. Good old Derbyshire teaching.

#14 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:09 PM

View Postdim view, on 05 May 2015 - 05:54 PM, said:

blinkin heck dim we have got something in common i went to tupton hall as well ..hated it though loved primary school at holmgate a cracking school but tupton was awful too much rugby and no football.
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

#15 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:11 PM

View Postoldstandrobin, on 05 May 2015 - 06:00 PM, said:

Oldstandrobin is my BCFC Forum name ! Was Fred Rice the headmaster when you were there and Mr Bond the deputy ? I did my O'levels at THGS in 1967 and amazingly passed the lot. Good old Derbyshire teaching.

Yes, yes, and so did I. Well almost. Failed English Lit with a grade 9 (less than 30%). It still rates as one of my finest achievements.

#16 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:15 PM

View Postoldstandrobin, on 05 May 2015 - 06:00 PM, said:

It must've been a challenge for them

The Bristol accent is a tough one to decipher. I did a degree there in the 80's and worked in loads of pubs. I loved it when one barmaid with a broad Bristol accent served a Geordie with an equally broad accent, it was like worlds colliding

This post has been edited by azul: 05 May 2015 - 06:16 PM

Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#17 User is offline   oldstandrobin 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:25 PM

View Postdim view, on 05 May 2015 - 06:11 PM, said:

Yes, yes, and so did I. Well almost. Failed English Lit with a grade 9 (less than 30%). It still rates as one of my finest achievements.

Well, I was the guy in the same class as Bryn Harries and had the Bristol accent. 1st prize to who guesses my real name :rolleyes:
Posted Image
I,m the one next to Bryn harries and to the left of Fred Goodwin

This post has been edited by oldstandrobin: 05 May 2015 - 06:32 PM

#18 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:36 PM

View Postoldstandrobin, on 05 May 2015 - 06:25 PM, said:

Well, I was the guy in the same class as Bryn Harries and had the Bristol accent. 1st prize to who guesses my real name :rolleyes:

Bryn was one of my best mates although he never reached the heady heights of the 'T' stream. He sadly died a couple of years ago from cancer. My other closest mates, now of 53 years, are Bob Wilde and John Fletcher.

#19 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:40 PM

View Postoldstandrobin, on 05 May 2015 - 06:25 PM, said:

Posted Image
I,m the one next to Bryn harries and to the left of Fred Goodwin

I'm just off that picture to the left. That's Richard 'Wack' Walker you are standing next to.

#20 User is offline   oldstandrobin 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:44 PM

View Postdim view, on 05 May 2015 - 06:40 PM, said:

I'm just off that picture to the left. That's Richard 'Wack' Walker you are standing next to.

Thats right, I met Fred Goodwin years later when we were both in the RAF. Very sad to hear Bryn has passed away, we used to have quite a joust about football as he was a Leicester City Fan and If I remember he went out with a girl in the Top Stream who lived just outside Clay Cross on the A61 and who's dad worked at Ashton Containers, Danesmoor with my old man. By the way it's Dave Coombs if your memory has gone a bit cloudy

Just remembered it was Lyn Botham

This post has been edited by oldstandrobin: 05 May 2015 - 06:48 PM

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users