• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Clarke Carlisle

#1 User is offline   valemadness 

• Chief Stalker
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:SPIREITES ;oD

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:24 AM

He has revealed it was a suicide attempt when he was hit by a lorry in December. So sad.
http://m.bbc.co.uk/s...otball/31142797

#2 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:27 AM

Brave of him to come out and speak about it. It was pretty certain, given the circumstances, that this was the case.

#3 User is offline   Xerxes 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:48 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 05 February 2015 - 07:27 AM, said:

Brave of him to come out and speak about it. It was pretty certain, given the circumstances, that this was the case.

Very selfish act. Imagine how the poor lorry driver must feel.

#4 User is offline   Goku 

• Super Saiyan and saviour of the universe

Posted 05 February 2015 - 07:58 AM

And within two posts we see why football fans arent mature enough to discuss issues like this. Better to lock and remove the thread now before anyone else shows their ignorance.

#5 User is offline   Xerxes 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:01 AM

View PostGoku, on 05 February 2015 - 07:58 AM, said:

And within two posts we see why football fans arent mature enough to discuss issues like this. Better to lock and remove the thread now before anyone else shows their ignorance.

the irony, Goku uses the word mature :lol:

#6 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:04 AM

The irony, Xerxes makes a joke about someone's maturity level with an immature statement and a laughing emoticon.

Yes, how selfish someone must be to suffer from depression so badly that he decides to attempt suicide.

#7 User is online   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:05 AM

View PostXerxes, on 05 February 2015 - 07:48 AM, said:

He's mentally ill. Rational decisions aren't made.

#8 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:06 AM

View PostGoku, on 05 February 2015 - 07:58 AM, said:

Suicide is the very definition of selfish. It's the ultimate in selfish acts. To acknowledge that doesnt diminish the empathy for the pain and suffering of those battling depression.
Guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

#9 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:09 AM

View PostTown_Fan, on 05 February 2015 - 08:06 AM, said:

Suicide is the very definition of selfish. It's the ultimate in selfish acts. To acknowledge that doesnt diminish the empathy for the pain and suffering of those battling depression.

I don't think Xerxes was acknowledging the pain and suffering of people battling depression.

#10 Guest_NOKIN_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:34 AM

Selfish act, really? Virtually every single day I deal with people who try to commit suicide sometimes they are actively doing it when I speak to them. One thing they are most certainly are not is selfish.

Depression is an illness not a fashion trend.

Walk a mile in his shoes and see how unselfish he is.

#11 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:39 AM

Just before this thread gets going can i suggest folk take a step back before posting and think about the fact that some folk on here may have been affected by someone going through this...i can guarantee at least one person on here has lost a family member to something similar as my cousin took her own life in a similar way after years of suffering from depression and seeing them described as selfish is a very narrow view of the whole circumstances.

#12 Guest_NOKIN_*

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:45 AM

View PostTown_Fan, on 05 February 2015 - 08:06 AM, said:

I'm sorry but you are wrong. Way, way wrong.

Someone who is capable of taking their own life isn't selfish unless the aim was to upset someone or a group of people. Most suicides (from my experience) are not carried out to purposely upset people, they are carried out because the person cannot bare to live in the situation they find themselves in, life becomes so unbearable there is absolutely no other way out for them. Their thoughts are not rational, loved ones or the general public don't come into the thought process.

Its extremely complicated and its not cut and dry. Someone has to be in an extremely dark place to take their own life.

It must be an absolutely horrible place to be in but its certainly not selfish.

#13 User is offline   spire77 

• Academy Player
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:57 AM

It is also alleged that many suicidal people genuinely believe that their loved ones would be better off without them, so to call it a selfish act is probably a little misguided. I personally know two people whom have committed suicide and do often speak to suicidal people via my line of work.

#14 User is offline   Town_Fan 

• 20/20 visionary

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:58 AM

View PostNOKIN, on 05 February 2015 - 08:45 AM, said:

Their thoughts are not rational, loved ones or the general public don't come into the thought process.

Exactly, they are thinking about themselves, as I say that's the very definition of selfish.

What I am saying is the selfishness is forgiveable because of the nature of depression and mental illness.

You're not the only person to have experience in this area so you can knock the patronising tone on the head.

This post has been edited by Town_Fan: 05 February 2015 - 08:59 AM

Guess I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

#15 Guest_NOKIN_*

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:07 AM

View PostTown_Fan, on 05 February 2015 - 08:58 AM, said:

Exactly, they are thinking about themselves, as I say that's the very definition of selfish.

What I am saying is the selfishness is forgiveable because of the nature of depression and mental illness.

You're not the only person to have experience in this area so you can knock the patronising tone on the head.

Here we go, I dare to voice an opinion different from yours and you start the belittling to try to make yourself correct.

I am not in any way, shape or form trying to be patronising, this for me isn't a subject for measuring genitalia.
If you believe I think I am the font of all knowledge in this field then you are again, dare I say it, wrong.

I wholeheartedly believe that tagging someone who has committed suicide or has attempted to as selfish is wrong and incorrect. Thats my opinion based on hundreds of contacts/conversations with people who have every intention of taking their lives.

#16 User is offline   BLUE SINCE 62 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:19 AM

For Gods sake can we get back to football matters on here, there must be other forums for this topic, I dont know why it was started.

#17 User is offline   firedodger 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:25 AM

First of all it's very sad.
Secondly I'm not sure I go down the selfish route however professionally I have attended many suicide attempts / scenes, jumping off buildings, gassing themselves, hangings and stepping in front of trains and at every one I have performed my duties with the utmost respect for people involved, but those memories don't leave you easily, and I have often wondered what kind of hell the train drivers have to go through after the event.
I don't think people attempting suicide do it as a pre meditated selfish act however they must have a concept of their actions, and the people they affect.

This post has been edited by firedodger: 05 February 2015 - 09:26 AM

If you do what you always do, you'll get what you always get.

#18 Guest_NOKIN_*

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:35 AM

View Postfiredodger, on 05 February 2015 - 09:25 AM, said:

First of all it's very sad.
Secondly I'm not sure I go down the selfish route however professionally I have attended many suicide attempts / scenes, jumping off buildings, gassing themselves, hangings and stepping in front of trains and at every one I have performed my duties with the utmost respect for people involved, but those memories don't leave you easily, and I have often wondered what kind of hell the train drivers have to go through after the event.
I don't think people attempting suicide do it as a pre meditated selfish act however they must have a concept of their actions, and the people they affect.

Unfortunately they don't mate.

#19 User is offline   Goku 

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:39 AM

View Postfiredodger, on 05 February 2015 - 09:25 AM, said:

Possibly but by this point I'm sure all logical thinking has gone out the window. They're not thinking "what about the policeman who has to find my corpse, what about the train driver/lorry driver/whoever who is going to be behind the wheel of the vehicle that kills me". The despair has taken over. At least, that's how I imagine it.

#20 User is offline   Bonnyman 

• Legend

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:41 AM

Relieved i would expect
ITS NOT THE WINNING,ITS THE TAKING APART

Share this topic:

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users