Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Spitfire Flypast Today Rate Topic: -----

#1 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 11 July 2020 - 01:06 PM

If anyone is interested a Spitfire is flying past a few local hospitals today in honour of the NHS.
Approx times are..
Rotherham General Hospital..17.25
Chesterfield Royal hospital..17.28
Kingsmill Hospital..17.32
Nottingham City Hospital 17.36
East stand second class citizen.

#2 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:32 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 11 July 2020 - 01:06 PM, said:

If anyone is interested a Spitfire is flying past a few local hospitals today in honour of the NHS.
Approx times are..
Rotherham General Hospital..17.25
Chesterfield Royal hospital..17.28
Kingsmill Hospital..17.32
Nottingham City Hospital 17.36

Can it veer off and do a strafe run on Feel Ill?
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#3 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend
  • Interests:To be nice to my fellow spireites

Posted 11 July 2020 - 03:34 PM

View PostJohnnyspireite7, on 11 July 2020 - 02:32 PM, said:

Can it veer off and do a strafe run on Feel Ill?

Or our own boardroom
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#4 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 11 July 2020 - 03:43 PM

View Postfishini, on 11 July 2020 - 03:34 PM, said:

Or our own boardroom

Or take out a few Apperknowle pigeons or red BMW's outside the Assay Office.

But joking aside thanks, Les.

The throbbing sound of a Merlin and those beautiful Mitchell designed curves always bring a tear to this old aviation enthusiast's eye.

Quite simply, that plane in the hands of the 'Few' is why we"re here today...

This post has been edited by The Earl of Chesterfield: 11 July 2020 - 03:45 PM

Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#5 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 11 July 2020 - 03:49 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 11 July 2020 - 03:43 PM, said:

The throbbing sound of a Merlin and those beautiful Mitchell designed curves always bring a tear to this old aviation enthusiast's eye.

Never seen, or heard one Chris, off to Kingsmill shortly

#6 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend

Posted 11 July 2020 - 04:29 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 11 July 2020 - 03:43 PM, said:

More spitfires had the more powerful Griffin engine I believe. Spitfires got the glory but the hurricane was the real workhorse and didn't get the credit it deserved

This post has been edited by fishini: 11 July 2020 - 04:42 PM

DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#7 User is offline   Johnnyspireite7 

• Legend
  • Interests:Town, Formula 1, England & Yorkshire Cricket.

Posted 11 July 2020 - 04:54 PM

View Postfishini, on 11 July 2020 - 04:29 PM, said:

More spitfires had the more powerful Griffin engine I believe. Spitfires got the glory but the hurricane was the real workhorse and didn't get the credit it deserved

Correct, the faster Spitfires took out the fighters (Messerschmitt 109's & 110's) whilst the Hurricanes took out the bombers (Dornier 17's, Heinkel 111's and Junkers 87 & 88's)
"Do you think I'm here for your amusement" & good riddance to bad rubbish

#8 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:13 PM

View PostJohnnyspireite7, on 11 July 2020 - 04:54 PM, said:

Correct, the faster Spitfires took out the fighters (Messerschmitt 109's & 110's) whilst the Hurricanes took out the bombers (Dornier 17's, Heinkel 111's and Junkers 87 & 88's)

4 bladed prop so it has the Griffin engine to cope with the extra power. The Merlin produced about 1500 hp and the 37 litre Griffin about 2200 hp
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#9 User is offline   The Earl of Chesterfield 

• Legend

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:48 PM

View Postfishini, on 11 July 2020 - 04:29 PM, said:

Pretty sure the Griffen wasn't introduced until later. Without checking '43 onwards. Certainly long after the Battle of Britain.

You're right about the Hurri', though. That was the workhorse to the Spit's thouroughbred. Though as the war progressed was no match for the later 109's and Focke Wulf 190. Infact became more of a ground attack fighter with 40mm cannons during the desert campaign.

And 'Mr M'. Just because us lefties don't buy into jingoism or the fake patriotism of the brexiters, it doesn't mean we don't celebrate the humble heroism that faced down fascism. In so many ways embodied in those beautiful curves I once again the privilege of seeing today. I caught a glimpse of the pair of Spits heading east from Birdholme. Kinda appropriate that I had my youngest granddaughter in my arms at the time. If possible I'll try to educate her and my other grandkids what that plane represents. Doubt they'll appreciate it but then that's probably the point...
Spanish proverb: 'Pessimists are just well informed optimists'

#10 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:58 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 11 July 2020 - 06:48 PM, said:

Pretty sure the Griffen wasn't introduced until later. Without checking '43 onwards. Certainly long after the Battle of Britain.

You're right about the Hurri', though. That was the workhorse to the Spit's thouroughbred. Though as the war progressed was no match for the later 109's and Focke Wulf 190. Infact became more of a ground attack fighter with 40mm cannons during the desert campaign.

And 'Mr M'. Just because us lefties don't buy into jingoism or the fake patriotism of the brexiters, it doesn't mean we don't celebrate the humble heroism that faced down fascism. In so many ways embodied in those beautiful curves I once again the privilege of seeing today. I caught a glimpse of the pair of Spits heading east from Birdholme. Kinda appropriate that I had my youngest granddaughter in my arms at the time. If possible I'll try to educate her and my other grandkids what that plane represents. Doubt they'll appreciate it but then that's probably the point...

You are correct it was the Merlin in the battle of Britain the Griffin was introduced in 1942 and was a far superior engine. More spitfires fought with the Griffin engine than the Merlin.
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#11 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend

Posted 11 July 2020 - 07:25 PM

View PostThe Earl of Chesterfield, on 11 July 2020 - 06:48 PM, said:

Great sight today seeing my first ever Spitfire flying doing a couple of circuits of Kingsmill and I think you know I'd never doubt your patriotism mate. Surprised at the numbers that turned up and the great round of applause that greeted it seeing as it wasn't widely publicised.

This post has been edited by Mr Mercury: 11 July 2020 - 07:33 PM

#12 User is online   dalekpete 

• CFC & Trust Officer
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket, Doctor Who and criminal justice.

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:05 PM

Flew over Brearley Park as we were fielding- probably to mark the fact we had started back at Cricket!
Peter Whiteley

#13 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 July 2020 - 03:42 PM

View Postdalekpete, on 11 July 2020 - 08:05 PM, said:

Flew over Brearley Park as we were fielding- probably to mark the fact we had started back at Cricket!

I didn't hear or see it Peter which was a pity because I would have liked to have paid my own respect to the plane and what it achieved during the Battle of Britain

#14 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend

Posted 12 July 2020 - 06:50 PM

View Postwhittman, on 12 July 2020 - 03:42 PM, said:

I didn't hear or see it Peter which was a pity because I would have liked to have paid my own respect to the plane and what it achieved during the Battle of Britain

The plane achieved nothing however the pilots who flew in them and who died in them achieved everything. They deserve our upmost respect and our undying gratitude for the sacrifices they made for us, and that goes for every man and woman in every service.
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

#15 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:08 PM

View Postfishini, on 12 July 2020 - 06:50 PM, said:

The plane achieved nothing however the pilots who flew in them and who died in them achieved everything. They deserve our upmost respect and our undying gratitude for the sacrifices they made for us, and that goes for every man and woman in every service.

In no way did I mean to belittle the pilots who as you say flew and died in that aircraft but surely without the fine aircraft that it was their job of shooting down the german planes would have been much harder??

My father fought in the second world war so I am of the generation that appreciates what was done on all fronts to keep our freedom I can assure you

#16 User is online   isleaiw1 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 July 2020 - 08:17 PM

View Postwhittman, on 13 July 2020 - 08:08 PM, said:

In no way did I mean to belittle the pilots who as you say flew and died in that aircraft but surely without the fine aircraft that it was their job of shooting down the german planes would have been much harder??

My father fought in the second world war so I am of the generation that appreciates what was done on all fronts to keep our freedom I can assure you

Of course it did, and the people who made the parts it was made of, and those who designed it. Its all hands on deck and a team effort, the bravery of the pilots was immense but they couldnt do it alone....

My Uncle was a despatch rider and captured and put in a PoW camp by the Japanese - if my Mum asked him about it when he got back he always said the war was won by everyone not just a few....
Stay Home. Stay Safe.

#17 User is offline   fishini 

• Legend

Posted 15 July 2020 - 07:16 PM

View Postwhittman, on 13 July 2020 - 08:08 PM, said:

Rest assured I never in my wildest dreams thought you did. I was just expanding on what you wrote
DONATE
SAVE A LIFE

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users