Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Is It Just Me Or... - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is It Just Me Or... ...was the Barnsley "goal" about 10 yards offside??

#1 User is offline   eddymelt 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:30 PM

...was the Barnsley "goal" about 10 yards offside?? (I've put this in again for tablet/phone users who can't see the Topic Description)

I was in the East Stand DIRECTLY in line with play, and everyone around us was absolutely incensed!!

I'm surprised no-one's even brought it up, and I thought I'd wait and watch the FLS and extended highlights, which prove nothing as the offending player was out of shot.

You can see Dan Jones look over in disbelief as the ball was played through, before the cross even came in.

The linesman was 20 yards behind play - Ok, ok - they're only human, but it was REALLY obvious - we were all further incensed when the ref actively looked over to lino to check before he gave the goal.

We could have pasted 'em really, although to be fair, I thought they completely outplayed us for the first half hour...

#2 User is offline   lindave 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:32 PM

We were level in the West stand and we thought he was offside.
lindave

#3 User is offline   lindo-spireite 

• Legend

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:36 PM

The lino on the west side was a nutter too, he'll be in the loony bin soon.
Messageboard mafia. AKA - The Big Dog

#4 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:37 PM

Difficult to see but on the tv highlights the winger appears to come from behind the last man, Evatt, when the ball is played..I had no probs with the goal standing at the game and certainly no issues with it after seeing the tv footage.

This post has been edited by Mr Mercury: 23 November 2014 - 07:54 PM

East stand second class citizen.

#5 User is offline   eddymelt 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:41 PM

By TV footage, no, granted - but people who were in line...?

This post has been edited by eddymelt: 23 November 2014 - 07:41 PM

#6 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:46 PM

View Postlindo-spireite, on 23 November 2014 - 07:36 PM, said:

The lino on the west side was a nutter too, he'll be in the loony bin soon.

He was a crackpot and an attention seeker. A dangerous combination in his role of choice.

#7 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:53 PM

View Posteddymelt, on 23 November 2014 - 07:30 PM, said:

...was the Barnsley "goal" about 10 yards offside?? (I've put this in again for tablet/phone users who can't see the Topic Description)

I was in the East Stand DIRECTLY in line with play, and everyone around us was absolutely incensed!!

I'm surprised no-one's even brought it up, and I thought I'd wait and watch the FLS and extended highlights, which prove nothing as the offending player was out of shot.

You can see Dan Jones look over in disbelief as the ball was played through, before the cross even came in.

The linesman was 20 yards behind play - Ok, ok - they're only human, but it was REALLY obvious - we were all further incensed when the ref actively looked over to lino to check before he gave the goal.

We could have pasted 'em really, although to be fair, I thought they completely outplayed us for the first half hour...

I thought about this when I saw the goal on FL show, but it only showed the west stand side of the pitch. As for outplaying us in the first half hour I would say maybe from minutes 5 to 15.

#8 User is offline   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:54 PM

View Posteddymelt, on 23 November 2014 - 07:41 PM, said:

By TV footage, no, granted - but people who were in line...?

Sometimes don't understand the rules
East stand second class citizen.

#9 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:56 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 23 November 2014 - 07:46 PM, said:

He was a crackpot and an attention seeker. A dangerous combination in his role of choice.

so was the ref. On the highlights, he actually tells O'shea that he is MORE than 10 yards from a freekick and can get closer AND, as I moaned about last week, he insists on stopping the free kick taker proceeeding till he's blown his whistle.

On a tangent....How the bludddy hell can Spurs's freekick goal be allowed?. Their man is 5 yards offside and intentionally right in the goalie's line of sight. Incorrect offside decisions are becoming the weak link in the whole world wide football roadshow. Summat has got to be done.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#10 User is offline   Beelzebub 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:58 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 23 November 2014 - 07:37 PM, said:

Difficult to see but on the tv highlights the winger appears to come from behind the last man, Evatt, when the ball is played..I had no probs with the goal standing at the game and certainly no issues with it after seeing the tv footage.

There were two Barnsley players there, the one who first received the ball was onside but the other was well off and actively involved in the move, he actually played the cross that was scored from. The goal should have been disallowed.

#11 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:04 PM

View PostBeelzebub, on 23 November 2014 - 07:58 PM, said:

There were two Barnsley players there, the one who first received the ball was onside but the other was well off and actively involved in the move, he actually played the cross that was scored from. The goal should have been disallowed.

Any pictures I was on way home from Manchester airport.........please
God I hate this league.

#12 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:47 PM

View Postdim view, on 23 November 2014 - 07:56 PM, said:

On a tangent....How the bludddy hell can Spurs's freekick goal be allowed?. Their man is 5 yards offside and intentionally right in the goalie's line of sight. Incorrect offside decisions are becoming the weak link in the whole world wide football roadshow. Summat has got to be done.

I presume it's down to phases of play etc. Cole was doing exactly the same for them most of the time he was up front yesterday.

#13 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 23 November 2014 - 08:56 PM

View PostJonB, on 23 November 2014 - 08:47 PM, said:

I presume it's down to phases of play etc. Cole was doing exactly the same for them most of the time he was up front yesterday.

Interpreting the law must be very difficult for defenders. Example. One of their man is standing five yards offside, the defenders feel they can leave him there, but keep one eye of him coming back onside. The ball is played to him, he leaves it and from the line of defenders comes a runner, who is onside. Result, defenders look like plonkers.

#14 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:35 PM

View PostJonB, on 23 November 2014 - 08:47 PM, said:

I presume it's down to phases of play etc.

So, you are saying you don't know for definite. The offside rule should be simple to interpret. It really is bollux.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#15 User is online   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 23 November 2014 - 11:49 PM

View Postlindave, on 23 November 2014 - 07:32 PM, said:

We were level in the West stand and we thought he was offside.

Evatt dropped about 2 yard behind the rest of the back 4 just before the ball was played them onisde.

Only issue for me was Jones going for the initial cross with his left instead of his right foot, also he got in tommys way for the rebound, stopping him closing the ex blade down. Hard to criticise though, as he had a fantastic game (as did the rest of the back 4).

This post has been edited by Sammy Spireite: 23 November 2014 - 11:50 PM

#16 User is offline   sophocles 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sport, especially football. Theatre, literature, eating, drinking (esp. real ale).

Posted 24 November 2014 - 12:02 AM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 23 November 2014 - 11:49 PM, said:

Evatt dropped about 2 yard behind the rest of the back 4 just before the ball was played them onisde.

Only issue for me was Jones going for the initial cross with his left instead of his right foot, also he got in tommys way for the rebound, stopping him closing the ex blade down. Hard to criticise though, as he had a fantastic game (as did the rest of the back 4).

Agree about Jones. He only had to whack the ball into the crowd with his right foot. Of course a corner can cause problems, but it would have been better than rolling it straight to an attacker. Overall though, we defended very well. I go along with all the praise for Raglan, who has made terrific progress, but I personally went for Jimmy Ryan as MOM - I thought his work rate, composure and passing were all excellent, especially as he was without his other half.

#17 User is offline   JonB 

• Legend

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:31 AM

View Postdim view, on 23 November 2014 - 10:35 PM, said:

So, you are saying you don't know for definite. The offside rule should be simple to interpret. It really is bollux.

For what its worth having seen the goal again the lad stood a couple of yards offside isnt Kane who went on to score hence why no offside is given. If the bloke stood offside had scored then it would have been given but as he doesnt then he's not involved. Its debatable about whether he's in the way of the keeper as there is a great wall stuck there by the keeper thats in the way more than this bloke.

#18 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:05 AM

View PostSammy Spireite, on 23 November 2014 - 11:49 PM, said:

Don't know what happened but Jones made a poor attempt to clear the ball and then Evatt (i think) made a hash of it before the ball was tucked home. Having said that all the defenders had a great game and I was proud of the team for their committed performance

#19 User is offline   stokey 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 November 2014 - 09:39 AM

View PostBeelzebub, on 23 November 2014 - 07:58 PM, said:

I was in line in the East Stand and this is what I saw too. The Lino was miles behind play and couldn't possibly have known for sure, but as the OP says he's only human, and the ball came forward very fast. A camera view from the West Stand would have probably proved the original OP correct imho

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users