Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC: Millwall V Chesterfield - Bob's Board - Chesterfield FC

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Millwall V Chesterfield

#121 User is offline   tedspireite 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:04 PM

View Postbullseyerob, on 21 February 2017 - 09:59 PM, said:

I have now accepted that we are down but just got a battling away point against a side that's just beaten Leicester and now face Spurs in the Quarter finals and on the verge of the play-offs so I'm enjoying the result.

Same here that was a battling performance so credit were its due.sounded a good match on peak. you never know its a funny old game as Jimmy greaves once said. thought we was gonna get stuffed tonight so will take the point.and hope we can get 3 points sat . to hopefully kick start the great escape.

#122 User is offline   Spire-Power 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:41 PM

They dragged spireite legend Martin Gritton 😆 along to assist with the commentary. Odd choice but he was very good. In fact both were.

#123 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:05 AM

View Postbullseyerob, on 21 February 2017 - 09:59 PM, said:

I have now accepted that we are down but just got a battling away point against a side that's just beaten Leicester and now face Spurs in the Quarter finals and on the verge of the play-offs so I'm enjoying the result.

Glad we aren't playing Lincoln next, who have just beaten Burnley and play Arsenal in the QF. Phew.

#124 User is offline   Westbars Spireite 

• Legend
  • Interests:Chesterfield FC, cricket, beer

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:09 AM

Angel's first league start in what, eighteen months? How did he do?

#125 User is offline   frearsghost 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:07 AM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 22 February 2017 - 07:09 AM, said:

Angel's first league start in what, eighteen months? How did he do?

He played well, especially in the second half when most of the game was played in our half in what can be described as a strong defensive display or more bluntly, the 'Alamo.' He made one shocking pass straight to a Millwall player but got away with it; then again most of his team mates made shocking passes too.

We competed well in the first half, Mitchell again a danger as he was early doors at Gillingham but one needed nerves of steel to watch wave after wave of Millwall attacks in the second half. The home side missed an open goal - catch it on the highlights.

Town had two decent breaks in the second half both ruined by players going for glory when a simple pass may have paid dividends. Apart from that we hardly used the right hand side of the pitch in the second half.

Ian Evatt is playing some of the best football of his career at Town. Yet again he was a man mountain, hardly put a foot wrong and won every cross that came his way. Without his dominance we would not have been able to cope.Superb performance 10/10. In Stuckmann we have a very good goalkeeper. Hope we can keep him.

Mitchell visibly knackered at the end, can't manage 90 mins at the moment. SEB again useful and gave them something to think about.

Success and failure is such a thin dividing line. After the opening 15 minutes we were the better side in the first half although completely outplayed in the second. Two or three quality players could put that right. If only we could show the same determination at home we be ok.

P.S.

Oh and we had a clear penalty turned down. An obvious hand to ball by their player who moved the ball across his body with the palm of his hand. Unbelievable miss by the ref.

This post has been edited by frearsghost: 22 February 2017 - 10:40 AM

#126 User is offline   whittman 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:27 AM

View PostSpire-Heights, on 21 February 2017 - 09:42 PM, said:

Fantastic point away at Millwall, well played lads.

The last two away games have not done damage, it's the last two home games that have.

Agreed if we had managed to win the home matches then these away points would have been good bonus

As it is they mean very little in the grand scheme of things

#127 User is offline   Essex_Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:45 PM

It was a backs to the wall job for the majority of the game but I think that was to be expected. Could have been 2 down in the first 5 minutes. But for the majority we defended well, and what was pleasing to see was when players lost the ball there was a genuine desire to win it back straight away.

Special mentions for Evatt, Mitchell, Ebanks and Stuckman who I thought stood out for us. Grimshaw and Gardner, well the less said the better - two extremely poor players who worked hard but just lack distinct quality. It absolutely baffles me how Caldwell still considers Dan a central midfield option.

Had a stonewall penalty turned down, cant believe the linesman missed it but unfortunately you just dont get the luck when down the bottom. Not many teams will go to Millwall this season and not concede so fair play to the team for that. Two decent draws in two away from home but they absolutely must win on Saturday against a very good Oxford side.

Thought the support was brilliant last night considering our current plight.

This post has been edited by Essex_Spireite: 22 February 2017 - 12:59 PM

Essex Spireite

#128 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:53 PM

View Postgordon_brittas, on 21 February 2017 - 06:56 PM, said:

The formation is 10-0-0 , backs to walls, park the bus and hope to nick a 0-0 draw.

I've not been this pessimistic of our chances in a match in over 20 years supporting the town. Millwall will have to play completely garbage for us to even snatch a draw.

TRUST ME THAT WAS FAR FROM PARKING THE BUS UP , THEY DEFENDED WELL AND BROKE WELL , GOOD ALL ROUND DISPLAY STUCKMAN IMPRESSED AGAIN

#129 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 22 February 2017 - 12:58 PM

View PostWestbars Spireite, on 21 February 2017 - 09:16 PM, said:

Our mobile maths teacher?

SCUSE ME ENGLISH AS WELL THAT IM QUALIFIED IN

#130 User is offline   warfey is a spireite 

• Legend

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:03 PM

View Postazul, on 21 February 2017 - 09:40 PM, said:

Sounded a good game with plenty of fight

Be intersting to here from those present

yes there was plenty of fight a good battlng performance not backs to wall jobby far from it , great great point however its wins we need

#131 User is offline   Sammy Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:06 PM

View Postwarfey is a spireite, on 22 February 2017 - 12:58 PM, said:

SCUSE ME ENGLISH AS WELL THAT IM QUALIFIED IN

clearly

#132 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:27 PM

Last minute blunder v Bury aside, Stuckman is the type of keeper, age and experience wise, Wilson should have been looking to sign the moment he knew Tommy was out for any length of time. A massive blunder that could well cost us dearly.
East stand second class citizen.

#133 User is offline   Essex_Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:30 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 22 February 2017 - 01:27 PM, said:

Last minute blunder v Bury aside, Stuckman is the type of keeper, age and experience wise, Wilson should have been looking to sign the moment he knew Tommy was out for any length of time. A massive blunder that could well cost us dearly.

What has happened with Fulton though? 3 games ago he was unwell, and he hasnt been seen or heard from since?
Essex Spireite

#134 User is online   Mr Mercury 

• Legend
  • Interests:My family and Chesterfield then anything else that I care to chance my arm at.

Posted 22 February 2017 - 01:32 PM

View PostEssex_Spireite, on 22 February 2017 - 01:30 PM, said:

What has happened with Fulton though? 3 games ago he was unwell, and he hasnt been seen or heard from since?

I don't think Fulton is as poor as some make out and I'm certainly not implying our league position is his fault but it was crying out for an experienced keeper from day 1. Not sure why he's still out.
East stand second class citizen.

#135 User is offline   valemadness 

• Chief Stalker
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:SPIREITES ;oD

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:23 PM

View PostEssex_Spireite, on 22 February 2017 - 01:30 PM, said:

Caldwell said he was back from being off ill on Friday, although this would have been after wed signed Stuckmann. I would assume as Fulton was cover for Tommy and we expected him back by October/November, that it was thought that Fulton would be a bench warmer at best by now anyway. As he is a loan player, not signed by Caldwell, it could be construed that he'd rather have his loan players on the bench that a goalie when we have 2 of our own now.

#136 User is offline   azul 

• Legend

Posted 22 February 2017 - 03:25 PM

View PostMr Mercury, on 22 February 2017 - 01:32 PM, said:

I don't think Fulton is as poor as some make out and I'm certainly not implying our league position is his fault but it was crying out for an experienced keeper from day 1. Not sure why he's still out.

Much like the rest of the spine of the team

Perhaps we now have or soon will have an experienced spine, Stuckman, Evatt, Martinez, Evans and see how that goes
Accentuate th Positive, eliminate the negative

#137 User is offline   CFC_92 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:CFC&AVFC

Posted 23 February 2017 - 02:03 AM

Good point imo but we need to get a win now on Saturday and not repeat last week point at Gillingham then not following it up and losing to bury.
All town aren't we?

Share this topic:

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users