• You cannot reply to this topic

Donohue Leaves

#21 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:25 AM

View PostMDCCCLXVI, on 19 August 2017 - 06:02 AM, said:

Spoke to Dion a few times and found him a humble, honest and likable lad.

Infact there was even a kinda innocence to him.

So it must've taken summat pretty stern if he's joined the long list of folk Caldwell's supposedly rubbed-up the wrong way.

I'll once again wish him well whilst once again echoing your, and many others' concern that we go into what's already a crucial game - another loss could have all sorts of repercussions - with no defensive left footer.

That's the worry isn't it? If it was a seasoned pro who was falling out with our manager, you could perhaps put it down to a case of ingrained dogma on both sides, but when it's a young player just starting out in the full time game, I'm afraid it reinforces my concerns over Caldwell.

Three years ago we were pinching an up and coming young player for a similar fee received for DD, seeing him blossom, become a vital cog in our team, and eventually we receiving a decent fee for him, Now you fear circumstances have come full circle.

#22 User is offline   dtp 

• Key Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:56 AM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 19 August 2017 - 06:25 AM, said:

That's the worry isn't it? If it was a seasoned pro who was falling out with our manager, you could perhaps put it down to a case of ingrained dogma on both sides, but when it's a young player just starting out in the full time game, I'm afraid it reinforces my concerns over Caldwell.

Three years ago we were pinching an up and coming young player for a similar fee received for DD, seeing him blossom, become a vital cog in our team, and eventually we receiving a decent fee for him, Now you fear circumstances have come full circle.

I'm not sure about all this talk about GC and his falling out with players. The seasoned pros we have, like Evatt, Hird & Weir, all seem to be telling us how close we are to getting it right, how good training is, etc. Then a non-seasoned pro with previous experience of GC signs up for the season - I could ask has he had words with PC?

#23 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:11 AM

View Postdtp, on 19 August 2017 - 06:56 AM, said:

I'm not sure about all this talk about GC and his falling out with players. The seasoned pros we have, like Evatt, Hird & Weir, all seem to be telling us how close we are to getting it right, how good training is, etc. Then a non-seasoned pro with previous experience of GC signs up for the season - I could ask has he had words with PC?

To add another name, Sam Morsy. Surplus to requirements a few months after being signed, now an integral part of the Wigan side.
Pros like Evatt and Hird are too professional to rock the boat of the club they have given a good part of their careers to; let's see what they have to say once their relationship with Caldwell has been broken.

#24 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:17 AM

View Postdtp, on 19 August 2017 - 06:56 AM, said:

Correct.

This is all about Caldwell not pandering to players, who have been told directly that they can leave if they don't like it. It's not want they wanted to hear and it's hurt their poor feelings. Bless!!
Perhaps the players on whom the rumours are based could be named and then we can discuss the merits of whether they deserved different TLC treatment from Caldwell.
Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#25 User is offline   dim view 

• Legend

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:20 AM

View Post60s 70s Spireite, on 19 August 2017 - 07:11 AM, said:

To add another name, Sam Morsy. Surplus to requirements .... at Port Vale....., now an integral part of the CFC's successful recent history.

Get it on, bang the gong , get it on

#26 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:21 AM

View Postdim view, on 19 August 2017 - 07:17 AM, said:

Correct.

This is all about Caldwell not pandering to players, who have been told directly that they can leave if they don't like it. It's not want they wanted to hear and it's hurt their poor feelings. Bless!!
Perhaps the players on whom the rumours are based could be named and then we can discuss the merits of whether they deserved different TLC treatment from Caldwell.

As above, Sam Morsy for starters.
With regard to the reference to Morsy and Port Vale, I think that backs up my point, some managers (e.g. PC) know how to get the best out of certain players, and some don't.....

This post has been edited by 60s 70s Spireite: 19 August 2017 - 07:37 AM

#27 User is offline   Between The Sticks 

• Youth Team Player
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:37 AM

View PostVoiceofjoe, on 18 August 2017 - 08:30 PM, said:

He was good (sometimes very good) going forward , but wasn't a wing back and has never been a defender.
His attitude on the pitch hasn't seemed right this season - pre-season against Donny he was having a slanging match with Caldwell most of the match - which doesn't endear you to either your manager,or your other team-mates. Last week against County there were more signs of dis-affection this time arguing with his team-mates.
Maybe he was frustrated about being played out of position or maybe his head had been turned by the transfer rumours - either way as a team we're better without him with the attitude he's shown this season

Part of your last sentence was probably nearer the truth, "Maybe he was frustrated about being played out of position" and the final part would be more appropriate levelled at GC "either way as a team we're better without him with the attitude he's shown this season" and last season.

#28 User is offline   Essex_Spireite 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:59 AM

View PostSteve Kendall 1982, on 18 August 2017 - 07:56 PM, said:

My expectation - whether reasonable or not - is that the money from the likes of Nolan and Donuhue + Darikwa and Clucus will be used to get a couple of bodies in - as Caldwell see fit. If not, then the supporters will have been let down, let alone the manager etc...

Could the money from this sale perhaps be kept to pay off Caldwell? Just a thought
Essex Spireite

#29 User is offline   Looker-on 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:50 AM

View PostEssex_Spireite, on 19 August 2017 - 08:59 AM, said:

Could the money from this sale perhaps be kept to pay off Caldwell? Just a thought

It might do the club some good if it was used to appoint a proper CEO.
It's nice to be able to Trust again.

#30 User is offline   danblue 

• First Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members with edit own post

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:52 AM

View PostEssex_Spireite, on 19 August 2017 - 08:59 AM, said:

Ffs

#31 User is offline   mr. smith 

• Legend

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:58 AM

View PostBetween The Sticks, on 19 August 2017 - 07:37 AM, said:

Part of your last sentence was probably nearer the truth, "Maybe he was frustrated about being played out of position" and the final part would be more appropriate levelled at GC "either way as a team we're better without him with the attitude he's shown this season" and last season.

what is his position?
ive always thought he was ok in numerous positions without being outstanding enough in any one particular one to nail it down as his.
his versatility is his strength.

#32 User is offline   DIFH 

• Legend

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:02 AM

View PostAngel Was A Spireite, on 18 August 2017 - 08:57 PM, said:

If Clucas goes for £15 million and we have a 5% sell on clause, we would of made £1.7 million off him in total (excluding the Mansfield sell on fee). £1.7 million for a then league one player with a year and a bit left on his contract is a great bit of business imo.

Hopefully DA takes the money and in turn reduces the asking price for the club.
God I hate this league.

#33 User is offline   BlueRover52 

• If it aint broke don't fix it!

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:16 AM

View Postdim view, on 19 August 2017 - 07:17 AM, said:

Correct.

:closedeyes: Plough your way through the spin and you'll find that most of the players at the club would leave if they had a chance of maintaining employment and financial income. :wacko:
Many a good tune

#34 User is offline   Crack 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:51 AM

View PostSteve Kendall 1982, on 18 August 2017 - 07:56 PM, said:

My expectation - whether reasonable or not - is that the money from the likes of Nolan and Donuhue + Darikwa and Clucus will be used to get a couple of bodies in - as Caldwell see fit. If not, then the supporters will have been let down, let alone the manager etc...

He promised that when he sold off every bit of talent that Cook had assembled saying he would put 40% of it in the pot. He LIED then as always.
The only place any incoming money goes is his fat back pocket.

#35 User is offline   Crack 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:58 AM

View Postdtp, on 18 August 2017 - 08:38 PM, said:

I cannot remember a single poster on these boards, including you, who said that "Clucas was as good as given away".

Most people's valuation were less than half the £1.3m Hull are reputed to have paid.

If he does move on for around £15m it will mean the Club will eventually have received circa £2m for him.

Just a minute, though, are you on the wrong site? Did you intend your post to be on the stag's forum? After all, they truly know how to value a player!!!

With the obvious talent Clucas had plus the fact he can play almost any position he was always going to be on wanted lists once established.
He was sold at a reasonable price only if a good sell on clause was included, which it wasn't. Too quick to grab whatever they can at the time without thinking ahead. Don't know where you get your " most people's valuation " from.

#36 User is offline   Ernie Ernie Ernie 

• Legend

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:06 AM

View Postmr. smith, on 19 August 2017 - 09:58 AM, said:

what is his position?
ive always thought he was ok in numerous positions without being outstanding enough in any one particular one to nail it down as his.
his versatility is his strength.

Whilst players may have a preferred position or even a best position if a club needs them to play elsewhere they should just fkin get on with it and be thankful they aren't getting up in the middle of the night to go to work for 8 quid an hour like some fans will be

View PostCrack, on 19 August 2017 - 10:58 AM, said:

With the obvious talent Clucas had plus the fact he can play almost any position he was always going to be on wanted lists once established.
He was sold at a reasonable price only if a good sell on clause was included, which it wasn't. Too quick to grab whatever they can at the time without thinking ahead. Don't know where you get your " most people's valuation " from.

Bring up all the posts at the time to prove your point to him

#37 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:05 PM

I know I've got a downer on the clubs owners big style, but some of the stuff posted on here is unbelievable 😆

The Clucas fee was a good one and I don't recall anyone saying any different (I still maintain it was a good deal for us, even knowing what we do know) and all this tripe about Donuhue and the manager is laughable. Nobody knows what's gone off, though by all accounts his attitude was all wrong and whatever may or may not have happened between the two, Caldwell was right to get rid.

Our problems are a lot more serious than a player not getting on with the manager unfortunately.

This post has been edited by Spireite-Karl: 19 August 2017 - 12:06 PM

#notapennymore

#38 User is offline   Spireite-Karl 

• Legend

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:09 PM

Edit, I meant to wish the lad well. Relationships unfortunately break down in all walks of life, it's just called life!
#notapennymore

#39 User is offline   Brookie 

• Reserve Team Player
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My Dad took me to my first game at Saltergate age 5, he never did say what I'd done wrong, been hooked ever since

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:19 PM

In my opinion I think he came to the club at the wrong time, would have liked to have seen him in Cookies side with Clucas down the left. The two interchanging in the game may have given opposition something to think about

This post has been edited by Brookie: 19 August 2017 - 12:20 PM

#40 User is offline   60s 70s Spireite 

• Legend

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:36 PM

View PostSpireite-Karl, on 19 August 2017 - 12:05 PM, said:

I know I've got a downer on the clubs owners big style, but some of the stuff posted on here is unbelievable 😆

The Clucas fee was a good one and I don't recall anyone saying any different (I still maintain it was a good deal for us, even knowing what we do know) and all this tripe about Donuhue and the manager is laughable. Nobody knows what's gone off, though by all accounts his attitude was all wrong and whatever may or may not have happened between the two, Caldwell was right to get rid.

Our problems are a lot more serious than a player not getting on with the manager unfortunately.

How do you know 'by all accounts' his attitude was wrong if nobody knows what may or may not have happened?

Share this topic:

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users